• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
All of that could be remedied with a change in design philosophy. Expecting the player to be the all encompassing Wunderkind just doesn't gel with realistic AI.

An example is Alien Isolation. The AI is actually very well designed, except for the leash that pulls the alien toward you. On PC that leash can be cut, and the results are amazing. The Alien actually has to look for you and when it zeroes in on you it is even more tense than before, as you can't predict it.

I don't buy it that good life-like AI isn't suited for games. I firmly believe that it's a general failure of game design.

Which mod is it that untethers the alien?

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With all the progress in AI recently, I'm still wondering why the game industry still has such low AI in their games. They could easily use machine learning to make it more intelligent, like that Alpha Go Zero AI, which beats every human in Go. Of course you'd have to use a much lower AI or restrict it in learning so the AI doesn't become too strong in games, heh.

Oct 25, 2017
Outside Perth Scotland
The terrible A.I ruined the last of us for me. It was completely immersion breaking. Everytime I'd come up to an area with enemies I'd try to be all stealthy then I'd look over and see Emmie leaping around in front of the zombie things like a drunk ballerina. Shame really. I would have finished it if it had been better

John Marston

Oct 27, 2017
According to game makers toolkit's mark brown that illusion was created by not having trico respond to you all the time.

Makes sense, and it was very effective. That was one of the reasons I said that (Trico not responding all the time and needing different ways to correctly order him to do something).

Hitch

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I know what you mean OP. It was one of my wishes for this generation of consoles, along with 1080p and 60fps. Graphics already look stunning and I could take a hit on them progressing for a generation to improve how you interact with games rather than how they look. It would further immersion and add so much to the experience on the whole. It is obviously very difficult to achieve but you would think the people working on games would love to push themselves to deliver that. Their superiors will have the power to make them focus on whatever they deem necessary to achieve sales however.

With 4K now here and already people talking about the next evolution of that then sadly it just seems to be the goal the industry works towards by and large, visuals are everything when it comes to drawing in consumers. You only have to look at the games that the top of the charts here in the UK to gauge what the majority of people desire, at least over here. That is not to detract from the stellar games that are coming out these days though, quality will always find a way.

DSoup

Oct 28, 2017
London
Pretty much this. AI in games is an illusion; and maintaining that illusion is expensive. In addition to implementing the AI, you'll almost invariably need a significant amount of additional animation and audio work in order to surface to the player the current state of the AI. Half Life 1's AI is incredibly basic; but the radio chatter and limping/retreating animation give the impression of team work or self preservation. This is a good read for anyone interested in Half Life's AI: http://aigamedev.com/open/article/halflife-sdk/

I think some games get close, or at least have improved massively. Compared old PS2/Xbox GTA games to GTA V. A couple of generations ago the police would magically know where you were and would just fire there cars at you like missiles, ignoring pretty much all of the physics that the player was subject too. In GTA V, even under a high wanted level, the police can go right past you and still not see you, they leave their cars, mount searches and so on. It's so much better.

Plus the animation. It's not strictly AI but the Euphoria animation system Rockstar introduced in GTA IV and kept in GTA V makes a huge difference. It helps makes the world more believable all round.

In modern games with masses of unique characters and (generally) motion captured animations, the cost of the 'illusion' of intelligence has shot up massively; and as DSoup points out - the more complex the AI, the more chances something could go wrong - so QA becomes more difficult and chances are you'll be stuck constantly playing bug whackamole every time you attempt to add content or additional features.

Yup. At the other en do the scale of 'stable' you have Bethesda. I love the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, and kudos to Bethesda, Fallout 4 is the most stable game they've ever put out, but there are so many variations of circumstances that they are patching their games for months and months after release.

The terrible A.I ruined the last of us for me. It was completely immersion breaking. Everytime I'd come up to an area with enemies I'd try to be all stealthy then I'd look over and see Emmie leaping around in front of the zombie things like a drunk ballerina. Shame really. I would have finished it if it had been better

This didn't bother me to so much as it was the game trying to help you and not break the illusion. I'm sure I read that when you were in stealth, Ellie was effectively invisible and this was because it was too complicated for her to always be able to find a suitable hiding place (and not block you), dependant on what you (the player) was going to do next.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Because amazing AI isn't fun. If you had enemies that reacted like actual humans you'd be dead more than you'd be playing.

Well, that's not really what's meant though. You can already have "amazing" AI that will win every single time, with perfect precision. I think we're talking about more human-like AI, sure, but human-like AI that can still make mistakes like a human.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, that's not really what's meant though. You can already have "amazing" AI that will win every single time, with perfect precision. I think we're talking about more human-like AI, sure, but human-like AI that can still make mistakes like a human.
The caveat in stealth games in particular is that AI that makes mistakes is also AI that doesn't behave predictably. This was the sticking point in Thief 4's development. Stealth players tend to obsess over patterns. If the AI has any kind of fuzzing, that breaks the player's ability to predict its behavior.

A good example of this problem is trying to sneak up behind enemies to interrogate them in a typical game. What many developers do is ensure NPCs never turn 180 degrees. They usually turn 90 degrees. This prevents them turning around and seeing the player as the player tries to sneak up on them.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Why do these discussions always tend to revolve around shooters and enemies? I think genres like grand strategy, immersive sims, roguelikes, and such have way more potential and have progressed much more than shooters have, in terms of AI. Consider the emergent complexity of characters in Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress, or the feuds of Crusader Kings 2, or Rain World's ecosystem and Prey's mimics

PaypayTR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With all the progress in AI recently, I'm still wondering why the game industry still has such low AI in their games. They could easily use machine learning to make it more intelligent, like that Alpha Go Zero AI, which beats every human in Go. Of course you'd have to use a much lower AI or restrict it in learning so the AI doesn't become too strong in games, heh.

First of all , how are we determining what is low AI and what is high AI . All games have different AI requirements and it would be impossible to categorize them in such way.

A good AI should make you feel alive in the game,make game more immersive. Most posts in thread doesnt quite get AI i would presume because nobody would say game is bad/hard if enemies went cover,group and attack you from behind etc or your AI partner doing those things.

Open world games are huge barren in terms of activity. A help from AI would solve all this.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
It's called unpredictable Alien and for me it's the only way to play. Especially since the alien actually shows up less frequently, but less predictable. It also introduces a certain element of chance which puts a bigger emphasis on being prepared.

Thanks! I feel lame, but I like the sound of the alien showing up less. Or just, not knowing where I am even when it doesn't, you know?

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks! I feel lame, but I like the sound of the alien showing up less. Or just, not knowing where I am even when it doesn't, you know?
The problem with the standard Alien AI is the blatant cheating of the second AI (the leash). It becomes obvious just after a few hours into the game and for me nearly ruined the entire game.
It becomes grating and more of a nuisance than an actual actor. To me, that is the worst design sin when creating a nemesis.

Also the game doesn't really get easier, as the scripted triggers are still there, so the intense scenes are still there, and if you mess up, the Alien is still as adept at sniffing you out, even without cheating.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Does anyone else feel that AI in videogames has remained fairly stagnant when comparing that technology to graphics, controls and more?

Most modern games have fairly basic, boring and tame AI, and you can usually look to F.E.A.R., Half-Life, and other games with far superior AI that came out years ago.

GTA does a great job creating lively populations, and Euphoria definitely breathed some life in AI reactions, but things still seem stagnant.

I would love to see developers push themselves to create AI systems that challenge us in new ways instead of just how much health they have and the like.
You might want to check out ECHO.
EchoSteamsite.jpg

It's all about enemies learning from your actions and using them against you, so you have to think a few steps ahead whether shooting someone or running is a good idea cause the next cycle they'll get to use those moves.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why do these discussions always tend to revolve around shooters and enemies? I think genres like grand strategy, immersive sims, roguelikes, and such have way more potential and have progressed much more than shooters have, in terms of AI. Consider the emergent complexity of characters in Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress, or the feuds of Crusader Kings 2, or Rain World's ecosystem and Prey's mimics
Great shout on Rain World.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
In racing games the AI has not progressed at all it seems. In fact, in some cases it went backwards. In the latest F1 game from Codemasters it's clear that all the AI drivers are stuck on a set driving line. This becomes very obvious when there's a couple of cars following eachother closely, they will make for a perfect train.

I always wondered: would it not be possible to program the AI to behave more like a real driver? Instead of being car models that are animated on the track they would be giving steering input to make a corner and same for braking and accelerating. Then give them a 'time to react' and randomize that. So maybe the AI will start braking for a corner between 100-130 meters before it. You could multiply these values with a 'driver skill level number', so the better the AI driver, the less chance it has to make mistakes.
I'm sure it is possible, but it's probably a lot of work and very CPU demanding when you have to make these calculations every tenth of a second for every AI driver on track.

Neurom

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone else feel that AI in videogames has remained fairly stagnant when comparing that technology to graphics, controls and more?

Most modern games have fairly basic, boring and tame AI, and you can usually look to F.E.A.R., Half-Life, and other games with far superior AI that came out years ago.

GTA does a great job creating lively populations, and Euphoria definitely breathed some life in AI reactions, but things still seem stagnant.

I would love to see developers push themselves to create AI systems that challenge us in new ways instead of just how much health they have and the like.

I'd plunk down money for a FEAR-make

Is sophisticated AI even something we want? It depends on the genre I guess.

Personally, I prefer my FPS foes to be of the idiot canon fodder variety. I don't want to engage in a protracted game of cat-and-mouse with a Machiavellian master of combat. Just come at me, bro!

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I always wondered: would it not be possible to program the AI to behave more like a real driver? Instead of being car models that are animated on the track they would be giving steering input to make a corner and same for braking and accelerating. Then give them a 'time to react' and randomize that. So maybe the AI will start braking for a corner between 100-130 meters before it. You could multiply these values with a 'driver skill level number', so the better the AI driver, the less chance it has to make mistakes.
I'm sure it is possible, but it's probably a lot of work and very CPU demanding when you have to make these calculations every tenth of a second for every AI driver on track.
This is all in pCARS2 and the ai is far from great. Assetto Corsa has added traction mistakes that needs the ai to correct oversteer,msometimes spinning out, then trying to rejoin the race without causing a crash. But many other things destroy this illusion like how often this happens in cars that need more slip-angle /oversteer to be fast like 60s F1 cars. Forza's Drivatar's involve actual machine learning algorithms but there are so many problems (feedback for example, a friend crahses, his drivatar crashes more often, it bumps into you, you drive more aggressive bcause of this, meaning your drivatar also drives less fair on a frind's console). Then there is the issue of making the Ai faster and slower for different players, where does the ai lose the time, spnning, crashing, driving bad lines, braking too early, being too slow mid-corner, having more drag, driving with less yaw-angle? And don't get me started on multi-class racing AI - super hard to make faster ai cars overtake slower ai cars in a realistic fashion without losing too much.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York

Totally agree. AI in most games right now is actually just a bag of cheap tricks to give off the illusion of intelligence, and not AI in the 'machine learning' sense. I think the only game I've seen (outside of game-playing AI) employing actual AI is Galak-Z. But the general goal of "making enemies that shoot smarter" is so tunnel-vision that it deprives us from exploring more compelling applications of machine learning within games. For e.g. a more interesting application of AI might be actively managing your inventory in an RPG based on your game interactions. Or a system that can analyze car dynamics in a Gran Turismo race to more fairly or accurately award or take away SR points (you can tell I have a concern here =). Many of these applications would be more about 'surrounding' elements than directly affecting immediate gameplay, and many of them could be offloaded to a server to address their resource-heaviness.

Once you can understand and begin to imagine the possibilities for applications of AI, the question of 'do we want AI that is smarter in games' becomes irrelevant or moot.

I'd also love to see gamers discern more between different fields in the conversation: there are the 'simple' non-learning algorithms currently used in most games, then there's AI, which involves actual machine learning, and there's artificial life (AL) or emergent systems which are more about achieving complexity from simple beginning behaviors. Procedural generation systems also fall under the emergent systems category.

I always wondered: would it not be possible to program the AI to behave more like a real driver? Instead of being car models that are animated on the track they would be giving steering input to make a corner and same for braking and accelerating. Then give them a 'time to react' and randomize that.

This is less about AI than a procedural system that generates and maintains driver characteristics and parameters to operate in some (possibly AI-driven, but not necessarily) driving model. The system would need to really flesh out the different aspects that make up 'human failings' and feed them to the general 'driver' program.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I see no mention of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. A-life on the thread and that makes me sad.

Enemies that focus on breaking line of sight (going as far as using tall grass), use stealth, flank and creeping towards the player, ambushes, suppresing fire, looting dead teammates, and more.

Prone to bugs? Absolutely, but when it works, it works like no other games (with the possible exception of F.E.A.R.)

Another thing to consider is that unless the player is specificaly paying attention to behaviours, they don't notice AI that much during combat.

For example, people say that stealth on Far Cry 1/2 are bad and the AI always know where you are, but if you stop and spend a good time observing you see that it actually works. I've forgotten how many times I thought I've clean a place only to get shot in the back by some creeping fuck hiding around or to start fights, move around and find guys looking for me near my previous position (not last know position, but rather close to it).

Oct 25, 2017

My guess is that people are just more impressed by AI that responds in real time under the illusion of being another player. In turn based games the AI is basically asleep until it's its turn then it just responds to all the input at once. In other games the AI is clearly acting as the world and not as an individual agent in it. In an FPS people get the sense that the single target they are firing at is an agent of AI, and it has to respond immediately as the character continues to act. It's like fighting a Terminator instead of HAL 9000.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9824

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I see no mention of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. A-life on the thread and that makes me sad.

Enemies that focus on breaking line of sight (going as far as using tall grass), use stealth, flank and creeping towards the player, ambushes, suppresing fire, looting dead teammates, and more.

Prone to bugs? Absolutely, but when it works, it works like no other games (with the possible exception of F.E.A.R.)

Another thing to consider is that unless the player is specificaly paying attention to behaviours, they don't notice AI that much during combat.

For example, people say that stealth on Far Cry 1/2 are bad and the AI always know where you are, but if you stop and spend a good time observing you see that it actually works. I've forgotten how many times I thought I've clean a place only to get shot in the back by some creeping fuck hiding around or to start fights, move around and find guys looking for me near my previous position (not last know position, but rather close to it).
I mentioned STALKER, but never mentioned A-Life on the last page.

Honestly, I like how they implemented "life scheduling" much more than Bethesda with their Radiant AI system. It's much more reactive and believable, especially on Call of Chernobyl with the Warfare mod, where you can essentially help any faction you want take control of literally every map in the series. At least every single human NPC has a unique name, and stays the whole save game, unlike Bethesda's "load generic unnamed NPC, then delete and forget when away" style of doing that.

Milk Lizard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TOBYHANNA, Pa
Demis Hassabis was a fascinating developer to follow back in the day, his work with the first black and white game really blew my mind. He quit game developing though after elixir studios failed hard with Evil Genius and Republic. But man, I felt like he kind of created something special with the way your creature would behave and learn in the first Black and White game, I loved that shit. It's not all that advanced today, but back then it was amazing.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the more complicated geometries of new games make it difficult to design AI that can navigate around it. FEAR had great AI but pretty land level design. The environments were largely the same throughout the same and they simple enough for the AI t maneuver around it.Basically graphical advancements are outpacing the rate at which companies can improve AI.

Uh.. source for this?
As someone who actually writes pathing algorithms, this makes no real sense. It's very easy to simplify geometry for AI use, if that was ever a requirement.

Kowpucky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's too bad AI is still so bad nowadays, but I also remember reading developers mention that smart AI is not fun. However, on the highest difficulty I'd like that kind of challenge rather than everything oneshotting me or spamming me with 100% precise grenades. They can certainly be smarter than what they are without feeling too dumb or too smart imho. Having enemies just running towards the player or standing in place to shoot is really getting old, I'd rather have less enemies but them acting with sense.

For example I'd love a game where mobs hear about your past killings and arm themselves accordingly. You usually get rid of them with headshots from far away? They'll start wearing massive helmets. You usually sneak around them? They put glass on the terrain so every step you make is heard. You come from above? Have some cameras facing upwards too, not just down on the ground. It wouldn't even be too hard to program, but it would make you feel that your actions change how the AI approaches you, forcing you to switch tactics from time to time, proving you have problem solving skills and that you can effectively use everything in your hands effectively.
Didn't MGSV do this?

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
But wouldn't untethering the alien lead to possibly having it left behind in one area while you run and complete the game risk free? The space station is huge

And if it still moves the alien to each sector you are in, it's not really untethered is it?
I read in the past that the alien has two "brains". One knows where you are at all times, and the other controls the alien's behavior and actions. Sometimes the brain that knows where you are clues the other brain in. I assume this mod just eliminates that part. The alien still stalks around. It just can't slowly cheat anymore. I think. I haven't used the mod yet.

Thorzilla

Oct 28, 2017
It's too bad AI is still so bad nowadays, but I also remember reading developers mention that smart AI is not fun. However, on the highest difficulty I'd like that kind of challenge rather than everything oneshotting me or spamming me with 100% precise grenades. They can certainly be smarter than what they are without feeling too dumb or too smart imho. Having enemies just running towards the player or standing in place to shoot is really getting old, I'd rather have less enemies but them acting with sense.

For example I'd love a game where mobs hear about your past killings and arm themselves accordingly. You usually get rid of them with headshots from far away? They'll start wearing massive helmets. You usually sneak around them? They put glass on the terrain so every step you make is heard. You come from above? Have some cameras facing upwards too, not just down on the ground. It wouldn't even be too hard to program, but it would make you feel that your actions change how the AI approaches you, forcing you to switch tactics from time to time, proving you have problem solving skills and that you can effectively use everything in your hands effectively.

I think you would like MGS V then. I always sniped from afar with non-lethal bullets. The moe I used this tactic, soldiers adapted to my playstyle and began using reinforced helmets. Same if you go guns blazing. It is truly one of my fondest memories this gen, which forced me to adapt to overcome the challenge.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game exists already. It's called Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

It's just like you describe it. If you're doing headshots all the time, they get helmets. If you're using gas grenades, they get gas masks. You get the idea.

They adapt to your legend.

Didn't MGSV do this?

I think you would like MGS V then. I always sniped from afar with non-lethal bullets. The moe I used this tactic, soldiers adapted to my playstyle and began using reinforced helmets. Same if you go guns blazing. It is truly one of my fondest memories this gen, which forced me to adapt to overcome the challenge.

Woah, I legit didn't know MGS could do that. I only played through Ground Zeroes once and trying some challenges, never noticed any such behaviour or knew about what happens in the full game. Seems pretty interesting, I'll probably pick it up on sale sometime next year after this crazy end of the year finishes. Is the ending as grindy as some people say?

vereor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
[QUOTE="FairyEmpire, post: 208767, member: 2254" Is the ending as grindy as some people say?[/QUOTE]
What ending?

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love to understanding how AI code even works or even its historical development, just seems like magic...

To me it seems that anyone talented with AI probably won't be working in the gaming industry

ps3ud0 8)

RErarity

Oct 28, 2017
Everytime i read something about AI it gives me shivers.

Did you guys see the AI that was created by a group of Elon Musk and showed during the Internationals 17 (biggest Dota 2 Tournament)

The AI was able to learn the Game and beat one of the best Midlane Players in Dota 2 just in a few Minutes - all by itself.

vereor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if ironic, but I heard the second part of the game is really grindy with all the base building, waiting for timers, gathering resources and such.

If you want to complete it at 100% then yes, is pretty grindy, the game adds a weird tower defense mechanic with a big emphasis on micro-management, but thankfully all these stuff are optional iirc.

Slint

Oct 27, 2017
Porto Alegre, Brazil
I've worked some bit on AI for games, and I personally think that the greatest challenge is actually to make something that behave in a "believable" way, human or not.
It's really cheap (on processing time) to make an AI that cheats and use game information or other things not available for the player. And it can be really expensive to make one that "simulate" human behavior, so usually developers save resources for other stuff that helps sell the game, like graphics.
It's also super hard to review an human-like AI, if it makes a mistake, you have to consider: "is that believable?", or if it makes something really impressive: "Is this frustrating/super-human?".
Anyway, it's really hard to make a good AI.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if ironic, but I heard the second part of the game is really grindy with all the base building, waiting for timers, gathering resources and such.
There's some repetition. Some of the Chapter 2 missions are replays of Chapter 1 missions, with additional challenge. I avoided all the online stuff, btw. Never even agreed to their terms of service. Anyway, if you like to play the game, it's no big deal. If you want the insane, melodramatic, anime-esque story like in MGS4, you're going to be disappointed.

Great game though. My GOTY, maybe GOTG. Depending on which G you're talking about.

Spike Spiegel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mars
Last great game AI was ESIV: Oblivion (despite issues) before that it was F.E.A.R. Unfortunately, AI isnt a priority in video games today.