• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is this going to change game dev?

• Yeah

Votes: 1,287 71.1%
  • Naw

Votes: 523 28.9%

• Total voters

prarts

Oct 30, 2017
Original:
NWJx5GM.png

AI magic:
y4BM3x4.jpg

Special Edition (adjusted):
rwtEva5.jpg

Original artwork by Peter Chan from 1991 (adjusted):
hiEFWXP.jpg

AI better than Special Edition confirmed.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
If I knew how I would use this to remake Heroes of Might and Magic 2, since the new ones are hot garbage.

Dreadmoth

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
It may be possible to get improved results from aliased images by first pre-processing the image with some form of antialiasing - the SMAA demo from here works pretty well.

Crusader: No Regret

original (Source)
HV4lcto.png

original + SMAA
UqiCtEF.png

original + ESRGAN Manga109Attempt model (reduced to 2x2 original)
5QnRLor.png

original + SMAA + ESRGAN Manga109Attempt model (reduced to 2x2 original)
g4wMAXG.png

(compare the edges of the crates and railings)

Post process AA creates some artifacts of its own, but selectively combining parts of the output images could reduce the impact.

Last edited:

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Hmm would Monkey Island 3 be a good target for the toon AI? Are there threads on other communities like reddit or something for modding projects using these AIs? Uprezing retro games like this seems like the coolest thing ever! :D

Chestbridge

Oct 29, 2017
I'm wondering about REmake. Since the background animations are simply looped stills (like an animation flip book), would the animation get weird and wonky once its been through the AI since it is making its passes on the stills separately? I can't imagine it making the same upscale decisions that will keep, say, the dust motes floating in the background looking good.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I know there are AIs out there which are for videos and are temporally stable, which means there is a penalty for harsh movement between frames. No idea if these approaches can be combined easily, though...

I wonder if an AI could be trained with Resident Evil 0 Remake as a source, because in the HD version the backgrounds have been used from the original high-res source files. Then, this AI could be used for REmake, because the style is very similar. Would something like this work? Man, the possibilities...

Last edited:

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I never liked how MI2 SE looked. It was a bit better than the original MI SE, but still clearly rushed out artwork made by someone who didn't understand color contrast and grit behind the original graphics. AI upscale is both more faithful to the original visuals and more faithful to the source artwork. Still, I think AI upscale needs some manual touchups, but it's much better than SE already.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
The Curse of Monkey Island
from this:
Yz7dWdw.png

to this:
pRb4qXO.jpg

It`s actually insane.

Wow, even though both pictures seem to be compressed in the upload, but it looks clean as hell! I had a hunch the artstyle would be compatible, because there already is a lot of detail in the original files, just downsized to 640x480. Very cool that it actually works so well on that classic game, I always wondered what a HD remake would look like. I guess the fake enhanced graphics mode in the options menu will become reality at last, haha!

prarts

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, it looks even better here, directly in picture viewer, without imgur compression.
EQFTqo6.png

gEFHxEs.jpg

prarts

Oct 30, 2017
Remember that before upload I convert them to 1080p for your viewing pleasure. So originals are upscaled and AI output are downscaled. Raw comparison looks like that (save to disk and use your viewer):
3daq9G3.jpg
xLysZgF.jpg

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Man, 2019 is gonna be wild... someone should show these images to Tim Schafer, I wonder what he thinks about this...

This really looks like someone dug out the source files. I am in awe!

It looks way better on my ipad if you do not resize the images before upload (last upload looks awesome)

Last edited:

Kiru

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't get this to work. Running test.py just opens the command prompt for a sec before it closes. Quickly snapping a picture I was able to read the last line before it closes: "IndexError: list index out of range"
?
EDIT: understood the problem, I'm a dummie

Last edited:

prarts

Oct 30, 2017
I never liked how MI2 SE looked. It was a bit better than the original MI SE, but still clearly rushed out artwork made by someone who didn't understand color contrast and grit behind the original graphics. AI upscale is both more faithful to the original visuals and more faithful to the source artwork. Still, I think AI upscale needs some manual touchups, but it's much better than SE already.
I`m replaying Monkey 1 and 2 and 3 once a year every year. I`m playing Special Edition from GOG for 1 and 2 but I`m using it in "legacy mode" with original graphics and few QOL changes. I can`t stand SE art direction, it went too far from original concept arts, and you can see it more clearly then ever. Look at chair pattern (missing two white lines on the backrest), the doors (missing metal elements) or completely different chandelier etc etc. And don`t let me start about Guybrush itself...

The Orz

Dec 5, 2017
Original:
NWJx5GM.png

AI magic:
y4BM3x4.jpg

Special Edition (adjusted):
rwtEva5.jpg

Original artwork by Peter Chan from 1991 (adjusted):
hiEFWXP.jpg

This is the exact thing I wanted to see after reading the OP. Thank you!

Now onto VGA-era Sierra adventure games. Space Quest IV could be promising...

prarts

Oct 30, 2017
Bigger ones, notice that dithering on ceiling is gone:
imgur crapped on me, no more uploads for today...
This really looks like someone dug out the source files. I am in awe!
Exactly, it looks like the AI files are THE originals and actual originals are downsampled from them.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody created a Windows script that doesn't require downloading Python to do this?

prarts

Oct 30, 2017
It looks way better on my ipad if you do not resize the images before upload (last upload looks awesome)
Ok, so I will upload them 1:1. Imagine all previous comparisons without 1080p treatment, they looks amazing here on my disk, night and day.
Guess the best way is to zip them and upload to gdrive or somewhere.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Still hoping to try this with Metroid textures soon, moved out so all my PC stuff is all over the place :(

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Those pen/pencil strokes are so spot-on it hurts. And if you look in the original image you can only guess they might be there hidden in those pixels. Wow. Just wow.

JMC

Oct 27, 2017
Has there been anything from Quest of Glory yet, especially 1, although comparing versions of 3 with AI would be interesting as well.

Also, does this work for 3D games like Ultima Underworld?

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
There's a new subreddit called GameUpscale.

There don't seem to be too many examples yet, given how recently this has been blowing up.
Subscribed. I wonder what game is going to be modded this this tech first?
It may be possible to get improved results from aliased images by first pre-processing the image with some form of antialiasing - the SMAA demo from here works pretty well.

Crusader: No Regret

original
HV4lcto.png

original + SMAA
UqiCtEF.png

original + ESRGAN Manga109Attempt model (reduced to 2x2 original)
5QnRLor.png

original + SMAA + ESRGAN Manga109Attempt model (reduced to 2x2 original)
g4wMAXG.png

(compare the edges of the crates and railings)

Post process AA creates some artifacts of its own, but selectively combining parts of the output images could reduce the impact.
Nice catch! So depending on the game, applying post process AA prior to running the AI can clean up the image a bit.

prarts

Oct 30, 2017
Background of a classic opening scene:
QQOnny7.png
3quN3Po.jpg

It should be implemented in the next ScummVM release, it`s easy. Make it "AI fuckery you can`t resist" toggle.