• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is this going to change game dev?

• Yeah

Votes: 1,287 71.1%
  • Naw

Votes: 523 28.9%

• Total voters

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Doing some of the Whiterun textures in Skyrim. 512p to 2048p

7WSOSEr.jpg
Holy shit, is this real? This is one of the most impressive examples yet if so.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do think you better have a guide to not miss some of the cards in the game, but missing them wouldn't be a huge loose.

I was thinking of doing it myself, cf:
But I honestly can't say how long it will take me before I seriously start replaying the game to dump all the textures, could be a couple month...
I've waited so far to play the game, might as well wait a bit more and see your attempt at it! :)

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
The N64 version might work. The GlideN64 plugin has texture dumping/loading support, though from what I can tell so far, it's not nearly as nice as Dolphin's.
That would indeed work for Rayman 2, but we are talking about Rayman 1 which was not released on N64.

Looking at the Android and iOS releases, Ubisoft at the very least has the sourcecode of the PC version of the game. Perhaps they'll do a HD release themselves eventually?

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Apologies if posted already but I saw this buried in a Reddit thread - someone created a blog and trained a bunch of models about a month ago, including an alternative calculation of the Manga109 dataset and new ones based on Disney films and Donald Duck comics.
https://esrgan.blogspot.com/2019/01/blog-post.html

I've played around with those models and pre-rendered backgrounds from the Resident Evil Remake (not what they were trained for, I know). The myManga250000 model seems to be the most useful but results vary, it sticks closer to the original image than the previous Manga model and it also does not produce as much noise, it's cleaner in that way but it's also more blurry and not as sharp. Contours are not as hardly defined from a contrast pov. At least with the images I've tried. I think that specific model might be the best of the bunch when you only want to upscale and not manually edit images (low res pre-rendered backgrounds, as mentioned... have not tried much else yet)... needless to say it still falls short compared to manually denoised results of course, where you have control over the smoothness via filters (pre"source image" and post processed "final image" results).

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Damn, the increase in detail is fantastic. But it definitely didn't like the artwork being in pieces, did it?
Nope, but I also haven't managed to get a good upscale using Project64+GlideN64 and the user experience really sucks for it so I'm gonna just go back to doing Dolphin games for now.

Last edited:

Toadofsky

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
That's it. I'm gonna do some research on how to do this myself and get Viewtiful Joe on this. My PC may not be able to do 4K, but I'll try getting textures up to 1080p if it's possible

NEVERMIND SOMEONE HAS ALREADY DONE IT.

Should have looked back like two pages ago

Last edited:

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
That's it. I'm gonna do some research on how to do this myself and get Viewtiful Joe on this. My PC may not be able to do 4K, but I'll try getting textures up to 1080p if it's possible
Viewtiful Joe's already been done though? Proper UI redone by a modder, and the background rescale pack was released earlier in this thread.

Toadofsky

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
Sorry for the double post, but what do I do with the Viewtiful Joe pack? Do I take Hypatia's folders and just slap them into the same folder as the AI produced backgrounds? Or do I have to take each individual file in the original Hypatia Mod and put it in the AI modded folder?

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Sorry for the double post, but what do I do with the Viewtiful Joe pack? Do I take Hypatia's folders and just slap them into the same folder as the AI produced backgrounds? Or do I have to take each individual file in the original Hypatia Mod and put it in the AI modded folder?
I'm not 100% sure on what the loading order is, but if you put my textures in a folder called "000" alongside all of Hypatia's textures, hers will be loaded second.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Resident Evil 3 backgrounds.

xUgj2Y0.jpg

epwa89D.jpg

NOIUE4h.jpg

uPlWURF.jpg

I used ESRGAN interp_05.

What exactly was your source here, if you don't mind me asking? (it's not the PSX trial backgrounds in 320 x 240 nor the Dreamcast 640x480 (compressed to hell and back))

Also, did you try the mymanga250000 model?

Edit: scitek answered my "which version" question, just looked that up - It's gotta be the PC version, looks way cleaner than the Dreamcast backgrounds.

Edit 2: Just tested a myManga250000-ESRGAN Inter-06 and a pure myManga250000 upscale. You'd need a lot less clean up with the pure myManga model, an interpolation of 06 is still way cleaner but ugly patterns are creeping back in (the wall at the bottom right almost looks ok only using the mymanga250 model, but mixing it up then the lines crawl all over it again).

Last edited:

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece
Anyone try a random screenshot from a 2D Zelda?

The results will be probably be wack, but it would still be fun.

Last edited:

Deleted member 51266

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 26, 2018
What exactly was your source here, if you don't mind me asking? (it's not the PSX trial backgrounds in 320 x 240 nor the Dreamcast 640x480 (compressed to hell and back))

Also, did you try the mymanga250000 model?

Edit: scitek answered my "which version" question, just looked that up - It's gotta be the PC version, looks way cleaner than the Dreamcast backgrounds.
Which version did you use as a source? Just asking because the PC version used less compressed 640x480 backgrounds.
GameCube 640x480 backgrounds, from what I recall they're more or less the same quality of PC backgrounds. I've resized them to 2560x1920 for the sake of comparing them with the ESRGAN 2560x1920 upscales.

Do you have a link to the mymanga250000 model?

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
GameCube 640x480 backgrounds, from what I recall they're more or less the same quality of PC backgrounds. I've resized them to 2560x1920 for the sake of comparing them with the ESRGAN 2560x1920 upscales.

Do you have a link to the mymanga250000 model?

Cool, I was just curious. Thanks for taking the time to try it out.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, not sure if this is the right link, the google drive link only shows these models:

v9TKTQh.png

Maybe you meant mymanga109? I'll give it a go when I have the time and upload a comparison image.
Once you've opened the zip files, there are variants in those folders. But you are still right, the complete file name is "mymanga109_250000.pth". As for all the other models, at least for prerendered backgrounds I didn't have much luck with those, they looked all worse. But I also didn't try them out as much as the older models. Maybe you find something more interesting there?

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Laser Man can you re-upload your reduced colors model? The Manga one isn't giving me very good results for Star Fox 64.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/oecs2g06yqiawmd/ReducedColorsAttempt.pth/file

https://kingdomakrillic.tumblr.com/post/181294654011/a-collection-of-great-art-oriented-models-not

(It's from the OP, I never trained a model myself!)

Do you have an example texture that is particulary difficult? I'm interested in testing on how to make it work, if possible at all I mean!

collige

Oct 31, 2017
http://www.mediafire.com/file/oecs2g06yqiawmd/ReducedColorsAttempt.pth/file

https://kingdomakrillic.tumblr.com/post/181294654011/a-collection-of-great-art-oriented-models-not

(It's from the OP, I never trained a model myself!)

Do you have an example texture that is particulary difficult? I'm interested in testing on how to make it work, if possible at all I mean!
These are some problematic raw textures:
tex1_32x32_d6b1720b3f4fklu.png

tex1_64x32_94168b1a98huksl.png

tex1_64x32_d8bd459b52exkf4.png

The skyboxes might be a game-specific issue since what I think the engine does is extend the last row of pixels below where the skybox is being rendered to create the fog effect. The first texture ends up with a bunch of noise being inserted so that it actually looks worse than the original image in game:
nade01-2zzkiz.png

nade01-1w2kov.png

Overall though, there's just a bunch of textures that have way more noise in them than I would've liked and they don't fit the game's artstyle too well. From what I'm seeing with N64 games, a persistent issue is that a lot of larger textures are split up into multiple files, which makes seams much more visible after each individual part is upscaled. You can see the same issue with the character portraits here.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
The prerendered Resident Evil's are obviously taking precedent, but Revelations could really use some improved textures.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
These are some problematic raw textures:
tex1_32x32_d6b1720b3f4fklu.png

tex1_64x32_94168b1a98huksl.png

tex1_64x32_d8bd459b52exkf4.png

The skyboxes might be a game-specific issue since what I think the engine does is extend the last row of pixels below where the skybox is being rendered to create the fog effect. The first texture ends up with a bunch of noise being inserted so that it actually looks worse than the original image in game:
nade01-2zzkiz.png

nade01-1w2kov.png

Overall though, there's just a bunch of textures that have way more noise in them than I would've liked and they don't fit the game's artstyle too well. From what I'm seeing with N64 games, a persistent issue is that a lot of larger textures are split up into multiple files, which makes seams much more visible after each individual part is upscaled. You can see the same issue with the character portraits here.

The black&white image is a binary bitmap, you could scale it up regulary in PS/GIMP etc 400% using no interpolation at all and it would look the same. I'm not sure there will be a huge difference ingame after upscaling tho, you'd have to try it out, depending on how the engine is rendering that texture there might be no difference at all (I assume it's used for the pattern on the far right in your screenshots).

I've scaled the sky-textures up two times using mymanga250-esrgan-02 and used Ians Fast Denoise (gmic )to make them smoother overall, I don't know how feasable it is manually editing textures in that game, don't know how many there are in this game. I think it looks a bit better than simply upscaling them without any editing afterwards but it's not a day&night difference.

For the seams I first though you were talking about UV seams in which case you could have tried to add additional padding to the textures yourself using an image editor (if the space on the texture allowed for that to be possible) as far as I know that could be caused by mip mapping and not enough padding, but the portrait images don't even seem to be a 3d model so that might be a completely different problem. You can see the seams in both images aleardy so not sure how to fix that. If they are seperate image tiles on a texture you maybe can first merge then together in an image editor and stamp/content aware fill/brush/smudge over the seams (if you can identify them using this method) and when you are happy you could split them up again and place them back on the texture where they belong... sounds like a ton of work tho.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The black&white image is a binary bitmap, you could scale it up regulary in PS/GIMP etc 400% using no interpolation at all and it would look the same. I'm not sure there will be a huge difference ingame after upscaling tho, you'd have to try it out, depending on how the engine is rendering that texture there might be no difference at all (I assume it's used for the pattern on the far right in your screenshots).

I've scaled the sky-textures up two times using mymanga250-esrgan-02 and used Ians Fast Denoise (gmic )to make them smoother overall, I don't know how feasable it is manually editing textures in that game, don't know how many there are in this game. I think it looks a bit better than simply upscaling them without any editing afterwards but it's not a day&night difference.

For the seams I first though you were talking about UV seams in which case you could have tried to add additional padding to the textures yourself using an image editor (if the space on the texture allowed for that to be possible) as far as I know that could be caused by mip mapping and not enough padding, but the portrait images don't even seem to be a 3d model so that might be a completely different problem. You can see the seams in both images aleardy so not sure how to fix that. If they are seperate image tiles on a texture you maybe can first merge then together in an image editor and stamp/content aware fill/brush/smudge over the seams (if you can identify them using this method) and when you are happy you could split them up again and place them back on the texture where they belong... sounds like a ton of work tho.
My plan is to just ignore the black and white texture since the original looks perfect for the use case, but ideally the post-esrgan version should look pretty much identical to normal upscaling.

You're right that the seam issue is already present in the original version, but upscaling tends to make it worse in my experience since in some cases texture filtering was disabled on the original asset. It's not particularly problematic with Star Fox though. It does, however, prevent some font from being upscaled properly since some text is rendered per row rather than per character.

These screenshots show that, plus the overall noisiness issue that I have a problem with. The road and the building on the right in particular should upscale way cleaner in an ideal world. Between that and the tiling issues on the ground, I don't think this is something I want to put out, sadly.
nade01-10ajj4i.png

nade01-11kbkr6.png

Here's another example. Everything in the cockpit looks terrible.
nade01-78ik3u.png

nade01-52zjev.png

Last edited:

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
You can get rid of the noise with a denoiser like IansDenoiser. But as you mentioned, that is only part of the problem, if the lines in the grassy areas are not UV related then I think they appear because the upscaler increases the contrast at the edges of the texture, making them non-tileable. And you could only prevent those lines by manually making them seamlessly tileable again after upscaling. There are simple make-tileable-texture-blending filters for that, they pixeshift the entire image 50 percent horizontally and vertically and blend out where they touch in the center lines. If that's not enough, content aware fill or resynthesizer/heal selection those areas. Pixelshift back and the problem could be fixed. That should work pretty good for N64 textures where there is no text or other easilly identifiable patterns that would get destroyed. I guess it would also work for the street texture. It's all theory tho until you actually tried it out to be sure. Can you post the cockpit texture? I'd like to see what it looks like unfiltered.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
You can get rid of the noise with a denoiser like IansDenoiser. But as you mentioned, that is only part of the problem, if the lines in the grassy areas are not UV related then I think they appear because the upscaler increases the contrast at the edges of the texture, making them non-tileable. And you could only prevent those lines by manually making them seamlessly tileable again after upscaling. There are simple make-tileable-texture-blending filters for that, they pixeshift the entire image 50 percent horizontally and vertically and blend out where they touch in the center lines. If that's not enough, content aware fill or resynthesizer/heal selection those areas. Pixelshift back and the problem could be fixed. That should work pretty good for N64 textures where there is no text or other easilly identifiable patterns that would get destroyed. I guess it would also work for the street texture. It's all theory tho until you actually tried it out to be sure. Can you post the cockpit texture? I'd like to see what it looks like unfiltered.
Here's the main cockpit texture:
tex1_32x32_efd9653af0kukdk.png

You're probably right that there's a way to clean everything up after the fact in Photoshop, but I'm not an artist and I'm really trying to make everything as automatable as possible. I think the main issue is that the source resolution is generally too low for ESRGAN to work properly with and at this point you might as well just make new textures from scratch. I might try throwing waifu2x at it, but for the time being I think this particular game might be a dud. I'll upload my results for posterity in case anyone else wants to mess around with them.