• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is this going to change game dev?

• Yeah

Votes: 1,287 71.1%
  • Naw

Votes: 523 28.9%

• Total voters
OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Sl6ahuD.png

gkVCFQm.jpg

Some more Chrono Cross

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Hot damn. This is very exciting stuff for the future of re-releases -- I'm the type of person who is totally fine with legacy games simply re-released with better image quality (rather than demanding full re-masters), so this is really neat to me.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
There's some good results with stylized stuff using ESRGAN even though it's aimed at more photographs. Makes me wonder if we'll get a new model that's been trained with millions of pixel art images.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Between Google Camera's Nightside mode and this, AI imagine solution is going into uncanny territories.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yup. Pixel art is a bit iffy but I think this still looks kinda cool.

It's alright if there's more information in the image.

ffS5Dz5.jpg

s8l12JN.jpg

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Socom II... *prays*

Edit: This won't be a popular opinion because I know folks get a little sanctimonious about pixel art but I've never liked it much and that pic is so much more interesting looking... maybe because it's weird looking? Idk, but I prefer it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Socom II... *prays*

Edit: This won't be a popular opinion because I know folks get a little sanctimonious about pixel art but I've never liked it much and that pic is so much more interesting looking... maybe because it's weird looking? Idk, but I prefer it.
I honestly think it looks great. Gives it a different style.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
ok this is magic..

basically publisher can just use this to do like 70% of the bulk work for remaster while the remaining 30% will just be use to touch up by the devs. Way cheaper and efficient to do remaster now!!!

I wonder is this a Nvidia exclusive feature?
No but when it comes to neural networks, NVIDIA is king.

May 26, 2018
ok this is magic..

basically publisher can just use this to do like 70% of the bulk work for remaster while the remaining 30% will just be use to touch up by the devs. Way cheaper and efficient to do remaster now!!!

Exactly what I was thinking. Can't depend on it entirely but it can give you a base to work with. Humans do the rest.

For now.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
If they develop an AI made for upscaling game graphics... then the photoshop touch up needs would be even less

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Though it is clearly not perfect, the results are very impressive.
I don't expect this to change game development much, except possibly for remastering older games. These neural networks typically produce significantly better results when the source image has been created from a higher resolution asset that has been downsampled/compressed or pre-rendered. If I am not mistaken, I believe the Doom sprites were originally photographs rather than hand-drawn.

May 26, 2018
you're still going to be stuck with the same number of polys. It's for textures/bgs.

Where does this go, though? Can A.I. be trained to include results in texture upscaling into extrapolating more polys on low res models?

I realize I'm about to create an internal monologue for a neural network.

"I was trained to see this in a 2D image, and things that look like what I saw take 3D shapes kinda like this, and that 2D image is applied over a 3d topography, so I can compare the two and then I can guess based on what I know about both spaces and the interpretations I made to then..."

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
The craziest thing will be when these neural engines will enhance graphics on the fly, as part of the engine itself. But this is an awesome first step.

I don't know if you would ever want that. The computation involved means that'll most likely be strictly worse than just generating higher-res textures beforehand.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Started using the ESRGAN Morrowind texture pack and can confirm the black magic fuckery that this technique is made of.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Where does this go, though? Can A.I. be trained to include results in texture upscaling into extrapolating more polys on low res models?

I realize I'm about to create an internal monologue for a neural network.

"I was trained to see this, and things that look like what I saw take 3D shapes kinda like this, so I can..."

Most likely it can be done, but I imagine the limited use case (old videogames) makes it less tempting to spend time developing on as opposed to enhancing imagery.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Some of these have levels of sharpness that are rather unpleasant looking, and some are even quite straining to my eyes. Some extra touch-up might be preferable for a couple of them, and others seem unsuitable. Still, results look pretty impressive. Makes you wonder where this sort of thing will go in the future.

May 26, 2018
Some of these have levels of sharpness that are rather unpleasant looking, and some are even quite straining to my eyes. Some extra touch-up might be preferable for a couple of them, and others seem unsuitable. Still, results look pretty impressive. Makes you wonder where this sort of thing will go in the future.

Like all things, probably The Matrix lol

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
No but when it comes to neural networks, NVIDIA is king.

As an Nvidia investor, i hope this can bring in some $dough$ which in turn increase the $share price$ :P

i agree with you that in terms of using Neural network AI training to enhance gaming, Nvidia is definitely at the forefront of everyone in the gaming industry. I mean their latest DLSS for turing cards is essentially using AI to output a more efficient way for anti-aliasing.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
The craziest thing will be when these neural engines will enhance graphics on the fly, as part of the engine itself. But this is an awesome first step.

Nvidia built an entire 'renderer' from a neural network trained on on images from cars driving in traffic:
https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/12/03/nvidia_uses_neural_network_to_render_3d_environments

While very resource intensive and poor looking, it's still a really cool and impressive result. ML will factor into games increasingly heavily as time goes on.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
okay wait, so I can use this on my nvidia Card (980m) and make FFXI look like that, right now?
I wanna see some Xenogears, Grandia, more FFVII shots!

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
A couple of years ago I had a weird unrealistic vision of a tool that would be able to extract enough information from low res 2D to create a high res version and it seems like we are there now. Nuts.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Do we need to compile the code to test this out?

(I have an AMD GPU btw)

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The FF7 ones look great, someone needs to make a background pack for the PC version using these, we can play it while we wait for the remake in 2027.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Now I´m wonder when we will get neural networks that do things like smart increase of polycounts on 3D models (that's not just subdividing the whole thing indiscriminately) and interpolate between frames to generate smoother animation frames that look more lifelike.

For audio there's also technology out that can increase fidelity of low sample rates by guessing which overtones are missing.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone tried to use texture from some recent games? :D I am just wondering how it would work with images with more info.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I'm not quite sure how to run it despite instructions.

It says you need Python?
Yes. You need Python 3 and PyTorch

https://pytorch.org/get-started/locally/
https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-366/

Did anyone tried to use texture from some recent games? :D I am just wondering how it would work with images with more info.
It'd look like shit because they're already large in dimensions. This kind of thing is better for smaller stuff. Take a look at the Morrowind rock image I posted on the last page.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. You need Python 3 and PyTorch

https://pytorch.org/get-started/locally/
https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-366/

It'd look like shit because they're already large in dimensions. This kind of thing is better for smaller stuff. Take a look at the Morrowind rock image I posted on the last page.
Is there a particular reason to go with Python 366 and not 371?
Do I need to install Python to run, or is there a portable option?
Also just to emphasis, I have an AMD GPU, but the instructions still tell me I still need CUDA? Wha?

Edit: Also it tells me to go into test.py to change settings? How do I do that?

Last edited: