• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is this going to change game dev?

• Yeah

Votes: 1,287 71.1%
  • Naw

Votes: 523 28.9%

• Total voters

prarts

Oct 30, 2017
QndERa6.png
jcdugAQ.jpg

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If y'all don't want imgur compression, I'd definitely recommend abload. They've been really good to me in terms of picture quality.

prarts

Oct 30, 2017
tQQTkpa.png
K8jc7QH.jpg

It looks like concept art, actual original picture that was source for ingame one. WOW!

prarts

Oct 30, 2017
vestan
the guys from ScummVM must see this, those games are a perfect, effortless fit for such a script, easy to implement (I hope).

collige

Oct 31, 2017
This is the best I could do for Baiten Kaitos. I think a combination of compression artifacts from the original plus the algorithm being designed for photos rather than paintings makes this particular game tough.
cebelrai_02zuci7.png

cebelrai_02_small_rlt49ccu.png

waifu2x seems to fair better though:
4d747df7-37d4-4117-9dvbdxi.png

cuplinks

Oct 29, 2017
I've just started a play through of Riven. Thinking maybe I should wait until someone has a go at this for that game.

Roukira

Dec 1, 2018
France, Paris
I'd love to see some Xenoblade Chronicles 1 pictures with this. I tried taking screenshots on Dolphin and the resolution of the picture one not the one of the emulator, and I don't know how I can take a screenshot of my wii. Anyone have a picture and wants to see how it goes ?

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I'd love to see some Xenoblade Chronicles 1 pictures with this. I tried taking screenshots on Dolphin and the resolution of the picture one not the one of the emulator, and I don't know how I can take a screenshot of my wii. Anyone have a picture and wants to see how it goes ?
The correct way to do with for 3D games would be to dump the textures, resize each of them individually, then run the game in Dolphin with the new textures, not just upscaling a screenshot. That's how the OoT screenshot in the OP was done and it'll look way better.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
ehhh doesn't really work like that, best results for 3D games is to dump the textures then do it like the ocarina gif and morrowind screenshots in the OP

i'll get on it tho

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

X36EGEo.png

iPfa0hC.png

looks like something out of valkyria chronicles

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
What about Super Metroid? I guess it will not work as well on pixel-art like that, though... Yoshi's Island maybe?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, messed around with the interp and I've got it in a good spot now.

Here's what you asked for btw.

Super%20Metroid%20Ruin000.png

d0X5CZw.png
Not picking on this specifically, but after the OP impressed me a ton I checked this thread again today and it's like..urgh? Most of them on this last page have made me lose faith. This looks bad. It reminds me way too much of a regular ass smear filter you get with bad HD remakes. Definitely unnatural in terms of how it applies shapes to things and most every image on this page looks like a real bummer to me :(

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Not picking on this specifically, but after the OP impressed me a ton I checked this thread again today and it's like..urgh? Most of them on this last page have made me lose faith. This looks bad. It reminds me way too much of a regular ass smear filter you get with bad HD remakes. Definitely unnatural in terms of how it applies shapes to things and most every image on this page looks like a real bummer to me :(

It seems it definately has to be used with care and depend on the style of the original art. Monkey Island 3 looks phenomenal, for example. Check that out on the previous page. For more realistic games, other AI will have to be used. I am sure after a while those problems will be ironed out.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
It reminds me way too much of a regular ass smear filter
That's kind of the point though? I am using the Manga109 model which is meant for illustrations more than anything. It's intentionally a lot softer. The model that comes with ESRGAN just doesn't compare especially when it comes to backgrounds of LucasArts adventure games. If you want me to get back to using what I was using before then by all means I will but I just wanted to mess around with this new model a bit.

Still though, if this isn't impressive then I don't know what is.

19.jpg

L99lR1P.png

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really love all of these Lucas Art backgrounds with the AI. There's just a feeling of warmth coming from them.

prarts

Oct 30, 2017
From pixel galore to... painting? Especially water looks like brush work here.
room068wkei7.png
room068_rltfeffy.png

Last edited:

prarts

Oct 30, 2017
Some experiment: took 1920x1080 picture from GRIS OT (thnx Uzzy)
aq9cnh.png

reduced it severely to 640x360
bs5e4r.png

and AI treated it with output set back to 1920x1080 - see how AI figured out all those huge amount of missing pixels
cmaclb.png

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
WHEW!
So I got this set up one my computer, the process of which wasn't bad or long, HOWEVER due to my CPU OC it kept causing the voltage to jump up too high when all four of my cores hit 100% load, so my computer would shut itself off immediately because of overvolting protection.
I turned my OC off and now it works though. But whenever I run it the images comeout looking like oversharpened garbanzo beans. Any help? I tried ESRGAN model as well as interp_04. I don't really know what else I can change/run.

prarts What is the model/command you run and are there other variables I should change for running pixel art though it? Thanks!

Kiru

Oct 25, 2017
WHEW!
So I got this set up one my computer, the process of which wasn't bad or long, HOWEVER due to my CPU OC it kept causing the voltage to jump up too high when all four of my cores hit 100% load, so my computer would shut itself off immediately because of overvolting protection.
I turned my OC off and now it works though. But whenever I run it the images comeout looking like oversharpened garbanzo beans. Any help? I tried ESRGAN model as well as interp_04. I don't really know what else I can change/run.

prarts What is the model/command you run and are there other variables I should change for running pixel art though it? Thanks!
Use the model from this post, that's what people have been using lately:
A new model for ESRGAN has been trained based on a dataset called Manga109 (using illustrations from manga as the name suggests). In general much better for general illustrative upscales without any interpolation. Even for pixel art one can see an improvement over the previous models despite not being trained for it.

Example using pixel art by fool (DeviantArt):

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Started messing with SH2 stuff.
p_incar.tex_tex_000kgeww.png

p_incar.tex_tex_000_rhecse.png

itemmenu.tex_tex_0003lfx1.png
itemmenu.tex_tex_000_gxf74.png

Nothing mind-blowing but it would make for a much better high-res presentation with these assets touched up.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
For people scaling up Monkey Island and other Lucasarts stuff

I wonder how feasible it would be to build a custom version of ESRGAN where you factor in high quality scans of the original artwork in to the algorithm so it can more accurately replicate that style in background art we don't have the originals for

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you customize the output resolution? I'm getting some errors because I think I'm trying to convert an iamge that's a bit too large. The smaller examples provided work fine.

Nevermind. For now I'm just making the image I want to convert smaller :P

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
For people scaling up Monkey Island and other Lucasarts stuff

I wonder how feasible it would be to build a custom version of ESRGAN where you factor in high quality scans of the original artwork in to the algorithm so it can more accurately replicate that style in background art we don't have the originals for

That'a actually what I want to know, except for the Resident Evil renders. You could train the algorithm to make use of the Zero HD renders to make better upscales of the REmake ones. Same thing with the 640x480 RE3 PC renders for upscaling the PSX RE2 320x240 renders.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
That'a actually what I want to know, except for the Resident Evil renders. You could train the algorithm to make use of the Zero HD renders to make better upscales of the REmake ones. Same thing with the 640x480 RE3 PC renders for upscaling the PSX RE2 320x240 renders.
I'm not sure how much data you need to properly train it. For instance, the manga109 model was trained by using thousands of images.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This could be really nice as a way to help contain the ballooning costs of creating assets.

prarts

Oct 30, 2017
Monkey Island 1 DOS VGA version all graphic files extracted, first shot with Elaine face.

Original:
1bkfyg.png

AI raw output:
2cuimj.png

small amount of smoothness applied to the original file before AI treatment:
4tliz3.png

more smoothness applied:
3gecng.png

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
This could be really nice as a way to help contain the ballooning costs of creating assets.
It won't, because it only works well for assets that have already been sourced from higher resolution material.
Anything which was natively low resolution tends to produce bad results.

I'm not sure how much data you need to properly train it. For instance, the manga109 model was trained by using thousands of images.
Are there any tools that make it easy to train your own neural network simply by providing sets of before/after images?
I can think of quite a few ways that I'd like to use it, and the volume of source material required seems like it probably would not be an issue - at least for some of them.