• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
At the end I think that tomorrow I will order it from 365Games. Reading some reviews, it seems the most trustworthy among them and the expected shipping time is only from 3 to 7 days, like amazon.co.uk basically. Moreover I will pay it only 50€. Thank you again! I am really looking forward to this game and I hope not to lose it, since I have to put my university's address as c/o because I am never at home to get it delivered.
No worries and good luck! Glad to help and I hope you have fun.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
OT-wise, I like something simple like "Complex Motives". Trying to shove multiple jokes/references in it at once is just overdoing it to the point of not being funny.

...I mean, I know that's how all OT titles are in the end, but still!

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland

The Japanese account has been posting these incredibly goofy drawings over the past few days. They're great.

and the English account is teasing something.
It's probably going to be a one-off video, unfortunately. I wish she would go back to posting regularly. :(

9/9/8/8 (34/40)

Our first review is in. It's from Famitsu. Yeah I know they're pretty much useless, but hey, it's still pretty encouraging.

FYI, the same issue has a four page feature on the game, and the magazine (Company name is Kadokawa Game Linkage) is owned by the same parent company as Spike Chunsoft. Which is certainly not a good sign.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Quick summary of the Famitsu Review:

Score: 34/40 (9 / 9 / 8 / 8)

- 30 hours to see all the game has to offer

- Target audience: Adventure / VN fans

- The game strikes a perfect balance between the serious, hardboiled detective parts in the real world and the much more jokey tone of the dream sequences. Funny banter and back and forth between Date and the rest of the cast.

- It's especially exciting to make choices during dream sequences due to the mad chain reactions they can cause

- The Somnium parts can get very tense due to their time limit and the decision of when to use the collectible bonus items that slow down the timer.

- In contrast, the tempo during the real world parts is slower. You are free to cycle through multiple choices and look for the right answers.

- Good QoL design decisions like a helpful UI that aids the player's immersion and fits the different scenes

- Traditional Adventure/VN gameplay combined with a modern presentation

- Unique setting and quirky characters that might surprise you with their actions

- Limited interaction in the dream sequences. One reviewer would have liked more freedom to explore during the Somnium Parts, but she acknowledges that those limits exist for dramatic purposes

It's a Famitsu review, so that's a whole lot of vague statements that don't tell us much more than most previews. But all four reviewers were positive on the game and no one mentioned any glaring flaws, so I thought I'd still share it. Same score as VLR, higher than ZTD, lower than 999 seems right in line with expectations.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Less than 12 hours until reviews at this point. What do y'all predict? For context, metacritic scores for the last few Uchikoshi games on the platforms with the most reviews:

999: 82%
VLR: 84%
ZTD: 83%

Last edited:

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Anyone know if there is any planned stream coming up soon? Even just someone on Twitch would be fine. Really want to see what the first few hours are like before deciding if I'm going to get this immediately or wait for a sale.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know if there is any planned stream coming up soon? Even just someone on Twitch would be fine. Really want to see what the first few hours are like before deciding if I'm going to get this immediately or wait for a sale.
You'll probably get some footage in the next day or two if not alongside the review embargo. This is what Mankoto had to say a page ago:
EMBARGO RULES
Embargo lifts on 9/12/2019 at 10AM PDT.
After 9/12/2019 at 10AM PDT, please adhere to these rules:
> Please do not share story info after the end of the 2nd day, upon the discovery of the 2nd victim.
> Livestreaming is OK up until the end of the 2nd day, upon the discovery of the 2nd victim.

Further story info can be shared after 9/17/2019 at 10AM PDT.
Embargo 5 days before release bodes pretty well.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
83 - 86 MC

[edit: 86 if I had to pick only one score]

I'm not expecting AI to be as good as 999 but better than ZTD and think the modern 3D presentation might lead to a slightly higher MC score than if it was just a standard VN.

Last edited:

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Do we know which VA option the game was designed around this time around?

Zero Time Dilemma very obviously put the English VA first.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Dunno. The English VA of the youtube content has been surprisingly good though.

I was thinking the same. I nearly always go Japanese VA, but I actually found the English VA of VLR to be somewhat superior.

Edit: And for some reason the TGS version of one of the earlier trailers released today sounds muffled or underwater comparatively in regards to VA.

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017

I'll have about 3-4 hours of footage up at the same time reviews go up.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I know the release was delayed, but the game is unavailable to preorder from both Amazon US and Amazon UK (I'm importing a physical copy to Australia).

Once stock issues are resolved should I expect it to reappear or did I fuck up and am possibly waiting for a second print run?

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
I normally play in Japanese, but because I've been following the weird English viral marketing campaign, I can't imagine A-set or Ota sounding like anyone else.

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
I know the release was delayed, but the game is unavailable to preorder from both Amazon US and Amazon UK (I'm importing a physical copy to Australia).

Once stock issues are resolved should I expect it to reappear or did I fuck up and am possibly waiting for a second print run?

I'd imagine things would stabilize post launch. The physical release was delayed due "increased demand and manufacturing issues". I don't remember them talking about this being a limited physical release.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Physical pre order canceled. Time to pre-order on PSN. Switch portability would have been nice, but the dithering/aliasing is a bit off putting next to the ps4 version.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to wait for user impressions. I know some people really liked or had no issues with ZTD, but considering how burned I felt after playing it I want to make sure I'm not getting into the same situation. I need reassurance that the quality is more like 999 or VLR before I dive in.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm going to wait for user impressions. I know some people really liked or had no issues with ZTD, but considering how burned I felt after playing it I want to make sure I'm not getting into the same situation. I need reassurance that the quality is more like 999 or VLR before I dive in.
Uchi wasn't as involved in ztd as he was in this.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland

Surprise!
A-set hosted the official Spike Chunsoft TGS stream. Providing a nice return to her old Vtuber videos.
There's also an AI segment (Around 3:19:40) but ehhhhhhhh.

Here's a compilation of just the host segments, totaling around 6 minutes of content. There was also a segment where she discusses the schedule, which was long enough to fit in it's own video.

Edit: Another important announcement, you can now buy merch of A-set and Aiba without the baggage of actually having to buy Somnium Files. Thanks to the folks at CharaChange.
EEVA9OCUwAIPrY3.jpg

The TGS stream also showed an Aiba plush, but i'm not 100% sure if they're officially selling it or not.

Last edited:

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Anyone know if it's expected to unlock at midnight EST on the eShop as well? I know first party games always do but I've heard third party games sometimes don't.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
VLR and ZTD reviewed higher than 999....why and how??? VA?

A lot of people didn't "get" 999 at the time of release. I remember quite a few people on forums who didn't want to get all of the endings and thought it was unsatisfying. I think it kind of went through a critical reevaluation a couple years later iirc.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Got to wait until Friday since I'm in the EU. Might get lucky and my copy will arrive on Thursday.

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been answered/beaten to death. But if I didn't participate in any of the interactive reality game stuff leading up to this game itself, can I just dive into the game blind or is this being billed as continuation of the social media stuff before it? Also, any comprehensive place to catch up on all of that?

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been answered/beaten to death. But if I didn't participate in any of the interactive reality game stuff leading up to this game itself, can I just dive into the game blind or is this being billed as continuation of the social media stuff before it? Also, any comprehensive place to catch up on all of that?
I didn't know about any of that and played the game this way. It's perfectly fine.