• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The Shovelforge stuff in the first sucked because it didn't pay off. Hopefully it's better used here (in general, there's a lot of stuff from the promo vids for the first game they can make good on).

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Looking good, can't wait for this! Although if this box art is indicating as much as it did for the first game, then I expect most of the characters on the bottom part without color to be completely irrelevant and not even be named in normal dialogue lol.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Looking good, can't wait for this! Although if this box art is indicating as much as it did for the first game, then I expect most of the characters on the bottom part without color to be completely irrelevant and not even be named in normal dialogue lol.
Oh my god, I can't believe they did the best character in the game dirty like that:

AI_24x36Poster_r3.png

CRXil9H.png

WHY WOULD YOU ONLY SHOW HALF OF MOMA'S FACE.

We never even got to see him beatbox about Gandhi :(

... That said, basically all of the grey figures are major characters?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still just hoping that it's good, as I would've been perfectly fine with leaving the original self-contained instead of making any sequels (which is what I wanted for it after how Zero Escape went following 999).

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still just hoping that it's good, as I would've been perfectly fine with leaving the original self-contained instead of making any sequels (which is what I wanted for it after how Zero Escape went following 999).

The first one was already self-contained enough so even if this one is bad somehow we still have a complete story in Somnium Files so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
The most random things get sequels.

I actually was disappointed by the first game but I welcome with open arms another attempt at this. I really just hope for...

1. Do something about those puzzles. They were complete nonsense in the first game

2. Know when to shut up with the dick jokes.

3. Don't add any of that remembering things from different routes shit just because other Uchikoshi games do it. Either you incorporate it much better beyond "Oh hey I just remembered these things because....just BECAUSE!" or ideally; find a new schtick. It's getting old.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This game has Steve, Joker, & a Scrimblo Bimblo cosplayer? Sakurai better watch out

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The most random things get sequels.

I actually was disappointed by the first game but I welcome with open arms another attempt at this. I really just hope for...
1. Do something about those puzzles. They were complete nonsense in the first game

3. Don't add any of that remembering things from different routes shit just because other Kodaka games do it. Either you incorporate it much better beyond "Oh hey I just remembered these things because....just BECAUSE!" or ideally; find a new schtick. It's getting old.

I liked the nonsense nature of the puzzles. They made *some* sense, but it was weird logic. I do think they could be a bit more logical, but I think the real challenge of them was efficiency, particularly with doing things that didn't contribute to the puzzle for TIMIEs that made longer actions reasonable.

I'll go to bat for Date's sex jokes because of spoiler reasons, and I liked how it was actually a hint at something, but I agree I don't want them to reuse that for the second game.

Totally agree on your third point, or at least have some more justification for it than the lack of any in the first game.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
3. Don't add any of that remembering things from different routes shit just because other Kodaka games do it. Either you incorporate it much better beyond "Oh hey I just remembered these things because....just BECAUSE!" or ideally; find a new schtick. It's getting old.
Kodaka has nothing to do with the game, but

images

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
I just played the first one on Game Pass after occasionally hearing people recommend it in passing and I'm so glad I did. Really excited to play as Mizuki. Easily one of my favorite characters from AI, if not my absolute fav.

Also, I don't know anything about the development. Did the english localization team change some stuff around to make it more inclusive at parts than the original? Cause some bits like Mizuki's monologue about the LGBTQ+ community felt kind of out of place in context, though it was still very welcome.
Agreed. The random tangents into perverted shit made it a lot harder to actually care about Date.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I just played the first one on Game Pass after occasionally hearing people recommend it in passing and I'm so glad I did. Really excited to play as Mizuki. Easily one of my favorite characters from AI, if not my absolute fav.

Also, I don't know anything about the development. Did the english localization team change some stuff around to make it more inclusive at parts than the original? Cause some bits like Mizuki's monologue about the LGBTQ+ community felt kind of out of place in context, though it was still very welcome.
Nah, but Uchikoshi has a really positive relationship with his fans on socials / seems a good dude in general, so it tracks.
I dunno why I said Kodaka. I meant Uchikoshi
I figured, I just wanted an excuse to post that image lol :P The way it was done in the first game was a tad annoying - preferably it wouldn't be there at all or he goes in harder on it like VLR (and that invalidated true ending, hgnn) or Ever17.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
There's quite a lot of detail to this in a way I don't really see in the box set for the first game. You can see Kozaki has the characters in a yin/yang formation. Mizuki and Aiba and then a new character and his own partner, both of them drawn like darker opposites. Very curious what the specific plot setup for this is.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
There's quite a lot of detail to this in a way I don't really see in the box set for the first game. You can see Kozaki has the characters in a yin/yang formation. Mizuki and Aiba and then a new character and his own partner, both of them drawn like darker opposites. Very curious what the specific plot setup for this is.
Well, general setup for the murders is that people are being cut in half, so I would assume they're going to go hard on that symbolism.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
I figured, I just wanted an excuse to post that image lol :P The way it was done in the first game was a tad annoying - preferably it wouldn't be there at all or he goes in harder on it like VLR (and that invalidated true ending, hgnn) or Ever17.
I kind of like how it was done in the first game, only happening at the tail end of the game with an alternate explanation for what could have happened, indicating they could have gone that route but decided to use this, and then only having more explicit examples in the epilogue, so I would assume they would expand on it in this game.

Red_V2

Oct 25, 2017
I am really excited for this if they fix the issues from the first game then it could be really special.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
I fucking loved AI: The Somnium File, no qualms whatsoever.

So I guess I should play the Zero Escape series before NirvanA comes out right?

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks dope, can't wait.

Hope the forensics guy from the first one returns. What was his name again?...

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019

They're good games, though I don't think they're meant to be connected, at least no real indication one way or the other, but they are currently deeply on sale and they'd be a good way to pass the time.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
They should reprint the first game.
For real, I want to get it physically on PS4 :(
I found it easier to just buy an import copy through a third-party on Amazon (expected EU, ended up being Australian, but it didn't matter and even came with the stickers).

As long as you stop at 999 I guess, but AI and Zero Escape aren't connected anyway.

GreenKing1979

Aug 1, 2020
Interesting box art. Not sure who the the returning characters mentioned are, but considering the characters have aged 6 years, I can see Iris, Ota, and Amame on the cover.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
The first had great aspects but also terrible. I hope they remove the cringe horny writing from the first.

Cautiously interested depending. I liked Mizuki so her as the protagonist gives me hope I'll like it more.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Looks like there will be a shady rival detective duo that acts untrustworthy with illicit measures, giving you a hard time figuring out if they are good or bad guys until you find out they are good guys acting bad cuz they have personal stakes in the matter

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Man, I'm so excited for this. I'm glad this is becoming a series. I just noticed that there are TWO Aibas?? Interesting.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Ready for early to mid 50's grey haired Boss still looking fantastic as ever. She's gotta be in this game. Maybe married(Well hopefully for her).

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Ready to play more Shovelforge. Didn't consider that stuff would be back.

You can see Date hiding on the right side of the image, but not his Falco body. So might give more to this following a different ending that isn't the true ending, and how this game manages to not spoil the first.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018

You can see Date hiding on the right side of the image, but not his Falco body. So might give more to this following a different ending that isn't the true ending, and how this game manages to not spoil the first.
Well damn, if that is truly the case, they have made this series VERY open ended and can do many games with so many directions without spoiling each other. I think that's a great idea.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Day 1.
Boxart looks good, much better than the first one, imo.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
The most incompetent joke of a "police" force on the planet 😂.

Seriously though, drop the relentless assault of horny jokes, write a little more sympathetic characters (I think Uchikoshi isn't great at writing these Danganronpa like caricatures, his more grounded characters are usually better), design better puzzles and I think this could improve greatly over the original.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

I had considered the possibility that this could potentially follow one of the routes that isn't the true ending, but have no idea how the story would address that.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Who says she needs to be? Ace Boss sounds like the perfect characterization for her.
She was scaring me with all that hoarding in the room of all of the artifacts and junk lol.

I hope they go into more detail of Mizuki's past with her mother and father, and I think they will. It was touched upon somewhat but the game hit it home how bad of a mother she was(Like cmon), maybe Mizuki interacts with another character that comes from a broken home and can relate. As long as I get some more nasty kung fu, not complaining.

Easy Platinum, one of my more anticipated 2022 games!