• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 15, 2018
I am absolutely loving this game. About 12 hours in. Playing something like this has me questioning if i should just play VN style games from now on, they always resonate strongly with me. Just ordered 428 Shibuya. Its a shame i will have to play on a tv screen, but the hour or so i did with AI in docked mode yesterday was actually not awful.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I am absolutely loving this game. About 12 hours in. Playing something like this has me questioning if i should just play VN style games from now on, they always resonate strongly with me. Just ordered 428 Shibuya. Its a shame i will have to play on a tv screen, but the hour or so i did with AI in docked mode yesterday was actually not awful.
Great to hear the VN genre got its hooks into you :)

428 is one of the best VNs ever made, it's a classic VN without any gameplay other than making choices that influence the story. Compared to Ai, 428 should be very playable via remote play if you have a Vita, iPad or Android tablet / large phone. I'm not a big fan of playing VNs on the TV either and that feature has been really helpful, even with games like Life is Strange where reaction times aren't as important.

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely loved 999 and its characters, world, real-life reference and narrative. I dropped VLR half-way since the narrative wasn't as tight, the story was a bit over the top
999 was a very personal and intimate story, whereas I felt VLR dealt too much with issues outside the life of the characters like that terrorist group and the virus
the characters weren't as good as 999 and there was less "thematic resonance" across the whole game - that's a bit difficult to explain, but basically 999 has some strong themes and images all across the game (the number 9, hexadecimal numbers, the ICE 9, the glycerine, the mouse experiment, the writer of that Titanic novel). VLR didn't, e.g. the way the prisoner's dilemma works in the game is very different from the actual prisoner's dilemma, which isn't really related to quantum physics.

So... Would I like this game?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely loved 999 and its characters, world, real-life reference and narrative. I dropped VLR half-way since the narrative wasn't as tight, the story was a bit over the top
999 was a very personal and intimate story, whereas I felt VLR dealt too much with issues outside the life of the characters like that terrorist group and the virus
the characters weren't as good as 999 and there was less "thematic resonance" across the whole game - that's a bit difficult to explain, but basically 999 has some strong themes and images all across the game (the number 9, hexadecimal numbers, the ICE 9, the glycerine, the mouse experiment, the writer of that Titanic novel). VLR didn't, e.g. the way the prisoner's dilemma works in the game is very different from the actual prisoner's dilemma, which isn't really related to quantum physics.

I feel like all of the seemingly disparate elements of VLR link together very well (just like 999) :/ Iunno, it feels weird to say that having only played half of it (even if you did go and read a summary about what happens afterwards - which I assume you did?).

As for Ai, it's less contained and cohesive (mostly because it's not a 'people trapped in a location' narrative), but still has strong theming (basically everything that happens boils down to love / infatuation / pleasure for every character). In general, it's sillier, but the cast is a blast, etc.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia

Yes.

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017

AI is all about the relationship characters have with each other so if you liked 999 for it's personal story, you might enjoy AI as well.

Feb 15, 2018
Great to hear the VN genre got its hooks into you :)

428 is one of the best VNs ever made, it's a classic VN without any gameplay other than making choices that influence the story. Compared to Ai, 428 should be very playable via remote play if you have a Vita, iPad or Android tablet / large phone. I'm not a big fan of playing VNs on the TV either and that feature has been really helpful, even with games like Life is Strange where reaction times aren't as important.

I did play the 428 demo on my Vita a while back. It worked ok so maybe i should get it back on charge. Plus i still have Danganronpa 3 to play natively on it!

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I finished the game yesterday. Loved it! However, I do have a question...

Did they ever explain how Date could retain memories from other routes? I don't know if I missed it but I didn't really get that.

Joe Molotov

Oct 25, 2017

Did they ever explain how Date could retain memories from other routes? I don't know if I missed it but I didn't really get that.

There's no real explanation, it's just an Uchikoshi thing. He's done similar stuff in the Zero Escape series.

Like the bamboo growing different shoots from the same root structure, the memories of alternate routes are all stored somewhere in our collective subconscious.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018

I keep seeing this question, yet I'm not sure why.

As far as I can recalll, there is nothing that Date recalls information specifically from other routes (such as in the Zero Escape series). The one thing that kept coming back to Date's mind was the prototype Psych machine as well as the ability to switch bodies of sorts. Both of those things would be known to Date from his past memories. So it was just another 'memory fractale' occasion where a certain part of his memory returned to him, but it wasn't retained from other routes I believe.

Cat_o_Nine

Dec 12, 2017
USA
I got bored of 999 at the time and played and LOVED VLR and even ZTD.

I've been playing 22 hours or so and have got so far the Iris ending, and hit some story locks and now i'm going down another path.

I am loving the story so far and I platinumed VLR and ZTD back in the day. I'll go back to 999 one day.

I still need to also play his much older stuff, like Ever17/Forever17 which I never finished either. One day.

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

As far as I can recalll, there is nothing that Date recalls information specifically from other routes (such as in the Zero Escape series). The one thing that kept coming back to Date's mind was the prototype Psych machine as well as the ability to switch bodies of sorts. Both of those things would be known to Date from his past memories. So it was just another 'memory fractale' occasion where a certain part of his memory returned to him, but it wasn't retained from other routes I believe.

Isn't there one part in the epilogue at Lemniscate where Date references how Mizuki called him her hero, only to be realize that never happened in that route?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

Isn't there one part in the epilogue at Lemniscate where Date references how Mizuki called him her hero, only to be realize that never happened in that route?

Yes, but it's also much more explicitly shown to be true around when the idea's introduced to begin with...

Well, first off, he also recognizes the driver in the epilogue. He only met him in the left branch, maybe only Ota's route specifically? So that's another easy point towards it from the epilogue.

But also like... yeah, sure, when Date suddenly shows that he knows what's happening with the body switching on Annihilation, Saito says "ah, so this means you have your memory back, fractals fractals". That's what any reasonable body-swapping revenge-driven serial killer would naturally assume. But Date's also hearing Iris going "ACTUALLY IT'S BECAUSE OF PARALLEL WORLDS". More seriously, the line from her that he hears is something she only said in the other timelines, where he saw Manaka's body and assumed he saved Iris through the Somnium, etc. and she explained that. Unless you're assuming Iris was already ranting about parallel worlds in between games of Ratty Cake at age 12, in the exact same way, there is no way that could be a memory of his.

So it's not really up for debate with that in mind*, haha.

EDIT: *no pun intended

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Ah, I misread something. Sorry, please ignore as this forum has no delete post function.

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
So I dont play Visual Novels very often. But im really intrigued by this game. I went to see if Walmart had it, since all their new games are $50, but it doesnt look like any of them have it in my area. Is it worth picking up for a first timer at $60, or should I want (and pray) for a sale on the Switch? (Not sure how often games like this go on sale on the Switch)

Cat_o_Nine

Dec 12, 2017
USA
So spoiler for Atami ending:

I didn't completely ask all the questions I could have asked before pestering the receptionist, and I reloaded the case file and now I can't go to lemnisgate at all on the second pass? what the hell? Is there something wrong here?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
So spoiler for Atami ending:

I didn't completely ask all the questions I could have asked before pestering the receptionist, and I reloaded the case file and now I can't go to lemnisgate at all on the second pass? what the hell? Is there something wrong here?

Well, hopefully you figured it out by now. Otherwise, I can't open it now to check and I don't 100% remember that section, but I'm guessing...

Did you go to another "free move" place first before it let you go/took you there? It may be making you go through the stuff at that place first, then move to Lemniscate.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
So I dont play Visual Novels very often. But im really intrigued by this game. I went to see if Walmart had it, since all their new games are $50, but it doesnt look like any of them have it in my area. Is it worth picking up for a first timer at $60, or should I want (and pray) for a sale on the Switch? (Not sure how often games like this go on sale on the Switch)

It's absolutely worth $60. It's one of the best games of the year.

Cat_o_Nine

Dec 12, 2017
USA
Well, hopefully you figured it out by now. Otherwise, I can't open it now to check and I don't 100% remember that section, but I'm guessing...

Did you go to another "free move" place first before it let you go/took you there? It may be making you go through the stuff at that place first, then move to Lemniscate.
Yeah i had to specifically pick that.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Man.. This game has left me with a void. I finished it Monday and I haven't been able to pick up and start playing the other games I was working on before it, they're just not as good.
This really might just end up being my game of the year.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Man.. This game has left me with a void. I finished it Monday and I haven't been able to pick up and start playing the other games I was working on before it, they're just not as good.
This really might just end up being my game of the year.

I still haven't finished the game yet, but every time I'm not playing it I pretty much can't stop thinking about it.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
What the?! Just when I thought I had a general idea of what was going on, along comes #89. Now I don't really know what to believe or who to trust. I love it!

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished up. Like it overall even though I really found a lot of it pretty grating (anything to do with idols, maid cafes, and otakus like Ota I just really struggle to get into). The whole horniness stuff just felt weird and oddly sexless, like someone writing an impression of a horny dude. Most of the actual decent humor comes from the absurd and random, like Aiba's
"elephant meat"
moment in one of the early Somniums.

I didn't hate ZTD as much as most folks but I'd rank it right around there.

No idea how anyone's getting 30+ hours of this though, clocked in around 21ish myself.

Cat_o_Nine

Dec 12, 2017
USA
In game shows 37 hours for me, and steam says 30 hours, but I am meticulous with clicking on things and reading. I did leave the game open for a few hours while doing other things, but still 30 hours seems fair.

I unlocked the steam version of a Platinum.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
IMG_20191012_232228.jpg

As I dont want it to end anytime soon

Cat_o_Nine

Dec 12, 2017
USA
You're mostly done. You have that middle spiral in the center, and the segment on the right hand side left to do. Maybe a few hours. A little on the top left as well I think.

xZoneHunter

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the general consensus of this game?

I'm about 15 hours in and closing in on the end, i think. Personally, i don't know, i've enjoyed it so far but it hasn't gripped me the way Zero Escape did. The characters are okay, not really a fan of the puzzles - seems pretty random most of the times.

The wacky humor and overall ridiculousness in some parts of the game (mainly the action scenes) are pretty good though.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
Considering I didn't really like the somnium sequences, I ended up pretty much loving it. Just about everything else was that strong. Makes me wish the creator's other games were on Switch.

Sep 22, 2019
Wow, this game is amazing, just finished it! The story in this game was engaging and full of a lovable cast of characters. Shame that most games don't have stories as good as this.

I remember playing 999 and Kamaitachi No Yoru like 10 years ago and just remembered those are from the same developer. I have been put off by VNs recently since most are just eroge with simple stories to get different girl routes.

Are there other visual novels as good as this? I am opened to them being +18 if they actually have a good story.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing 999 and Kamaitachi No Yoru like 10 years ago and just remembered those are from the same developer. I have been put off by VNs recently since most are just eroge with simple stories to get different girl routes.

Are there other visual novels as good as this? I am opened to them being +18 if they actually have a good story.
There's a lot of really good ones, so I'll just recommend some personal favorites (999 and Kamaitachi are some of my favorite VNs as well). Assuming you can read Japanese and have already played the rest of the Zero Escape and Kamaitachi series, check out these series/ games:

428, Time Travelers, Machi

The first three Infinity Series games (Never7, Ever17, Remember11) - also by Uchikoshi, they progressively become less dating and more scifi oriented.

Ace Attorney / Gyakuten Saiban - similar in gameplay to Ai

The House in Fata Morgana

Steins;Gate

And if you're into horror: Hayarigami Series, Spirit Hunter Death Mark & NG

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Umm...

Umm...

UMM!!!

So first it was a creepy laugh when I examined the locker in the Psync Control Room, and now the creepy voice talked and said:

"I've been watching you...

Forever and ever..."

WHAT?!?

hyRbISn.jpg

Sep 22, 2019
There's a lot of really good ones, so I'll just recommend some personal favorites (999 and Kamaitachi are some of my favorite VNs as well). Assuming you can read Japanese and have already played the rest of the Zero Escape and Kamaitachi series, check out these series/ games:

Awesome, I have played every Ace Attorney game except 6, Ever17 and Steins;Gate.

Seems like we have similar tastes so I will definitely check your other recommendations.

I haven't played any of 999 sequels though since I had the DS version. I will try getting back into Zero Escape series first since it has been a long time and they might be closer to what I am currently looking for at the moment.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I am fed up of waiting my copy from 365games, shipped in the 18th of October (first and last time I bought in that site). Since yesterday I finished Link's Awakening, yesterday itself I bought a second copy, on Amazon, and today I am already receiving it. I will get them a refund for one of the two copies, but at least I can play it from tomorrow (since today there is Weathering With You on theaters) and hopefully I can finish it before Pokemon. It has been so long for the new Uchikoshi's game, finally I almost feel it in my hands...

Iceberg

Oct 28, 2017
No idea how anyone's getting 30+ hours of this though, clocked in around 21ish myself.

It depends, somniums can take some time if you try many options and fail or if you want to search for the hidden items. I usually hear to all the dialogue instead of fastpacing reading. 30 hours is what it took me to play the whole game.

Feb 15, 2018
I'm at about 25 hours now and feel like im getting near the end (i guess i must be from the times mentioned here). Deffinately had to spend a bit of time redoing 3 of the Somniums a couple of times (there should be a warning on the box for people who have a crap sense of direction like me).

Game is great though, really enjoying the story and all the characters. Have bought 428 and Steins Gate Elite on ps4 with the intention of remote playing them on my iPad.

I'm just hoping Raging Loop reviews well to keep up my VN streak.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Just beat the game last weekend, around 20 hours per Steam.

Overall, I enjoyed myself quite a bit - the story wrapped up well, and the generally comedic tone was a nice change of pace vs. the usual Uchikoshi style plot swerves.

However, I really hated the Somniums. They were just too random and trial and error for my tastes, and by the end I was consulting step by step guides just to get them over with so I could return to the good stuff. The combat sequences were also pretty hokey, but not too bad.

Still fun, and worth the money I paid for it.