• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
This fucking game ERA.

MeagerThoroughHermitcrab-small.gif

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Got it on Switch. I'm at Day 3 and everything seems like a normal murder mystery so far outside the dreams stuff, but this being an Uchikoshi game I'm expecting crazy stuff to happen soon. Really enjoying the story and characters.

Only major complaint is how picky the search cursor seems to be. Trying to talk to someone can be a serious pixel hunt.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Oh one thing I hope they patch it for the future is.

the final dancing scene being locked to english for english version despite picking japanese dub so it caught me off guard.

even in the post game dancing menu I don't see an option to switch that dancing segment to jp so I hopefully they add that in

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Only major complaint is how picky the search cursor seems to be. Trying to talk to someone can be a serious pixel hunt.

Yeah, I was choosing between PS4 and Switch and wound up going PS4, and while I miss handheld mode I don't think I'd want to do some of these investigations on that tiny screen.

I will say I really appreciate how much this is a mystery/investigation game (even though Uchikoshi meta/twists are already seeping in around the edges). It's scratching an itch the Hotel Dusk and Another Code games used to for me.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Aaw... here my version is described as "coming soon" not even a price shown. I begin to think I might not even be able to get a copy of it. And it certainly don't want to miss this game.

Edit : seems like the physical is being delayed. I heard a bit of it but didn't know to what extent or which territories were involved.

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
think i might grab this when i wrap astral chain if it's available in my region

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I didn't expect for the game to make me cry.

(also I guess for spoiler conventions I guess it would make sense to put what's on the flowchart since the names seem kind of nonsense and non-spoilery and I don't think anything is repeated?)
Ota's story about his mom really really hurt. So depressing and I can see shades of myself in this story so it kind of hurts even more.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Okay I didn't expect for the game to make me cry.

(also I guess for spoiler conventions I guess it would make sense to put what's on the flowchart since the names seem kind of nonsense and non-spoilery and I don't think anything is repeated?)
Ota's story about his mom really really hurt. So depressing and I can see shades of myself in this story so it kind of hurts even more.
This was almost me, I was on the verge of tears in any case.
Mayumis psync was basically one of the major highs in the plot for me. Uchikoshi really nails the human emotions in these flashbacks

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
So what's the verdict on this? ZTD completely soured me but I'm willing to give this a go if it hits the highs of 999 or VLR

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap i forgot how gory this guy's work tends to be. I can't really get into specifics but a specific livestream with a polar bear made me wince at a video game in a way that i normally do during a movie or tv show. Its really gripping me tight and i have so many questions as im coming to my first ending. It doesn't feel shocking for shock's sake (though i do question the reason behind something shocking prior) which was one of the many issues i had with ZTD.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
So what's the verdict on this? ZTD completely soured me but I'm willing to give this a go if it hits the highs of 999 or VLR
A different kind of game, just because it's not a contained narrative (you're not stuck in one location), but very, very fun all the same. Also routinely hilarious.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I know it's been said multiple times before, but the English dub really is incredible.

All of you are making me regret using Japanese VA lol.

I actually choose them usually because I feel they convey emotions (especially in important scenes) better and they give the player/reader maximum effect and engagement. to be honest, I also understand the characters and their intentions better when I use Japanese voices.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
The dub is definitely amazing.

Also the game made me cry even more. I don't think anything in Zero Escape series has made me feel like this.

God the whole thing is making me a wreck. Maybe it's because as I'm getting older I'm seeing my parents get older this is getting to me.

Call your parents.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting stuck on Day 3 Psync (involves a crane) PSYNCIN' IN THE VILLaiN, mental lock #4, So Sejima. I don't seem to have any further way to interact with the crane or the box that it's connected to. Returning to the area with the control panel yields nothing. The game seems to be suggesting that I should find a way to hop on the crane. Anyone got any hints? This Psync has a huge number of things to potentially interact with and I'm mostly out of time by the last lock, which is making trial-and-error frustrating.

Regarding my earlier speculation on Date's past, I'm glad they sort of lampshaded the possibility of Date being the killer. "I wouldn't hire a serial killer!" indeed. My guess now is that they're keeping him doped up so that he does not remember some traumatic events that happened six years ago, probably involving Hitomi given that she shows in his initial Somnium.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting stuck on Day 3 Psync (involves a crane) PSYNCIN' IN THE VILLaiN, mental lock #4, So Sejima. I don't seem to have any further way to interact with the crane or the box that it's connected to. Returning to the area with the control panel yields nothing. The game seems to be suggesting that I should find a way to hop on the crane. Anyone got any hints? This Psync has a huge number of things to potentially interact with and I'm mostly out of time by the last lock, which is making trial-and-error frustrating.

Regarding my earlier speculation on Date's past, I'm glad they sort of lampshaded the possibility of Date being the killer. "I wouldn't hire a serial killer!" indeed. My guess now is that they're keeping him doped up so that he does not remember some traumatic events that happened six years ago, probably involving Hitomi given that she shows in his initial Somnium.

Go through the door you opened immediately after lock 4 starts. That one got me too.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
How does this play on Switch? Does it use touch screen?
Frame rate's iffy in the Somnium scenes (particularly undocked), but honestly it's plenty playable and it's not a game that needs a high frame rate for much of anything. I noticed that there's a touch screen option in portable mode but didn't really try it out much.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I wrote a review and considering both of you are wary of Uchikoshi output, I would recommend to pick it up in a sale then. It's something I can more easily recommend to those that liked the zero escape trilogy. In the case of hans, the game reminds me more of 999 and VLR than ZTD. Production is much better and, opposed to ZTD, there's no "previous baggage" holding Uchikoshi. I feel that ZTD having a problematic development + having to continue VLR were his main downfalls (even though I really like some things in that game)

While ZTD wasn't fully writen by Uchikoshi as far as I know, I can see AI having some issues with some players.
Without giving any spoilers, the game shines in it's characters and some of it's mysteries. It's nice to see Uchikoshi trying a different concept even if some of it comes back as being similar to his previous works.
The issues come from some concepts that don't mix well with the narrative , an unbalance between the story paths (too much info in one, too much events in other so to speak) and a few other things. I still gave the game a 9/10 because it's really entertaining despite the issues.
Hm, I see (particularly wary of that detail about "concepts that don't mix well with the narrative" part). Characters had been a weak point with both VLR and ZTD, the premise exacerbating this severely with the former and very specific characters contributing to this with the latter. Will hold off for a sale if I change my mind to see if breaking away from ZE did him any good, but won't be making it a priority relative to other games I still have yet to get.

Last edited:

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
Got a lock on the left-most path last night and just got the Ota end tonight. I loved the ZE games, but I'm glad Uchikoshi is free to explore new stories. Not sure how many branches there are, but I'm enjoying it so far. Even the characters I don't like (mainly Ota) are written well, have interesting arcs, and the voice acting is great.

It's perfectly playable on the Switch in handheld mode. There are some rare framerate problems that aren't relevant in this type of game, and some instances where it takes a few extra seconds for the AI partner to load a video. Nothing major, and you can't beat the pickup and play on handheld for this type of game, in my opinion.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on the first Saturday

How come Aiba couldnt delete the video of A-Set embracing Date from the cloud if she can hack into computers and WiFi and what not?

Last edited:

Kubinsky

Oct 29, 2017
Can the Japanese retail switch version be played in English? I know it works for most switch titles but it would be nice to have a confirmation

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
The game definitely gets better as it goes on. The Somnium on day 4 blue path was a lot of fun and worked way better than any of the others so far. And woof, the aftermath:

A malignant brain tumor is much more down to earth and heartbreaking than whatever wild BS the game was hinting at. Of course I expect there's going to be more twists, but if that part is true it paints pretty much all of Iris in a different light, and I hope the game treats the topic with the weight it deserves.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
GAH, I have it downloaded on my new, sleek, pretty Switch lite and it's STILL LOCKED.
Come on, it's nearly 5 pm in Aus.
I am blaming the ENTIRETY of Europe for this.
How dare you Europe.

Feb 12, 2019
I'm only a few hours in and really enjoying it, but hot damn do they really hammer the point that Date is a pervert. Like, I know this is from the man responsible for Punch Line, but geez maybe tone it down a little.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
So is this a good game? I only ever played Zero Escape. Still need to get through the other two. Love Zero Escape though

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Man.. I'm having problems with the PC version. It just launches into a black screen and crashes a few minutes later. It seems to be a problem with my PC because I can't find anyone else having the same issues. I've tried virtually every troubleshooting option but still nothing.
Hope steam will just let me refund it so I can grab it on PS4 instead.

Glad to hear people are liking it at least.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Just finished up. My overall feelings are pretty positive. The plot was great, the cast was likable, it nailed the really emotional bits when it mattered, and it certainly took me by surprise a good number of times. It's a shame that it was packed full of some of the cringiest shit I've ever seen in my life with all the pervert jokes and especially those godawful action sequences, but the rest was good enough to make sitting through all of that worth it. There is one thing in particular besides the game's horniness that is leaving a really sour taste in my mouth, though.

Pewter. Holy shit was he handled poorly. As soon as the game first hinted that he was gay I feared that he'd be a villain and fall into that shitty trope, but I did the entire left branch first before moving to the right and Uchi went out of his way to vocally express strong support for the LGBT community there so my concerns were eased somewhat and then the game hit me with it anyway. It would've been so easy to at least have him like... be conflicted about kidnapping Iris or commanding a bunch of (wildly incompetent) armed mercenaries? But he didn't really seem to be, and although the game goes to great lengths to elaborate on pretty much every other plot and character detail, it feels like there's a gaping black hole surrounding Pewter and Renju's relationship. It refused to say anything about it beyond "they had one," and so Pewter's character ends up feeling like a black hole as well. I might be mistaken, but I don't even seem to remember Pewter having a noteworthy reaction to Renju's death in the left branch, and I was paying pretty close attention to him the whole way through because of the gay tease.

Edit: Actually, there's one more thing that's nagging at me the more I think about it too.

It rubs me the wrong way that Iris gets all the true ending spotlight over Mizuki. Like I understand that Date's relationship with Iris and Hitomi is much more relevant to the main plot than his relationship with Mizuki which makes it almost necessary in a sense, but... it's hard to find the three whole months he spent with them six years ago as emotionally compelling as the four years he's spent raising Mizuki. I loved her route and it sucked to see that Date basically just neglects her during the whole right branch and even after being called out on it multiple times he doesn't do much to make amends for that, even in the epilogue. Ota's character growth from his route got transplanted over into the true ending, but it felt like the breakthrough that Date and Mizuki achieved in becoming a real family didn't.

Last edited:

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
You need to be deliberately disobeying Iris's instructions the whole time. Craft something other than a disco ball for the first lock, and craft n/a and break the shrine for the second lock.
Yeah but there's no option to craft n/a, only craft monument and investigate (which does nothing). I made a switch instead of ball for the first lock.

EDIT: nvm I'm dumb

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
What's up with the yellow sparkles in some areas of the Somniums? I can't seem to reach or interact with them - is this something that will become relevant later as I unlock branches, or is it just easter egg stuff?