• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
DISCLAIMER: If the user who claimed the OT shows up I'll ask a mod to lock mine.

BPmEJBD.png

---------------------------RESETERA OT--------------------------

Title: AI: THE SOMNIUM FILES

GENRE: ADVENTURE/VISUAL NOVEL

PLATFORMS: PS4, NINTENDO SWITCH, STEAM (PC)

PRICE: STANDARD EDITION $59.99
LIMITED EDITION $89.99

ESRB RATING: M

LANGUAGES: ENGLISH/TRADITIONAL CHINESE TEXT
ENGLISH/JAPANESE AUDIO

RELEASE DATE:
*NA DIGITAL (PSN, NSW, STEAM): September 17, 2019
*NA RETAIL (PS4, NSW): September 24, 2019
*EU: September 20, 2019

5KLwqjd.png

5bTDN2P.png

One rainy night in November, a woman's body is found
at an abandoned theme park, mounted on a
merry-go-round horse. She had been stabbed
repeatedly, and her left eye was gouged out.

Kaname Date of the Metropolitan Police Department
arrives on the scene. He recognizes the woman.
Suddenly, a crash rings out through the rain...

AI: THE SOMNIUM FILES chronicles an investigation
through both dreams and reality.
A thrilling neo-noir detective adventure following
Date and his partner is about to unfold.
5KLwqjd.png

l8AmukS.png

iEZbVel.png

lmmfbea.png

KANAME DATE
Date is a Special Agent in the Advanced Brain Investigation Squad, Metropolitan Police Department. He sinks into the minds of subjects with the Psync machine. He lost his eye 6 years ago, but replaced it with a prosthetic eye which houses an advanced artificial intelligence known as an AI-Ball.

face.png

OTA MATSUSHITA

Ota is a 24 -year-old NEET and enthusiastic follower of Iris who hopes to one day be a successful light novel author. He often comes across as cowardly and antisocial

face.png

AIBA

Aiba is an autonomous artificial intelligence. She usually takes the shape of an eyeball and resides in Date's left eye socket. However, she takes on the form of a young woman in Somnia and appears as a small animal when outside Date's eye socket. Her mind is linked to Date's through a neural connection.
face.png

BOSS
Boss is Date's direct superior and long-time friend. She appears to be an easygoing optimist with a carefree attitude, but she is as cunning as a fox with a quick wit.

face.png

PEWTER
Pewter is ABIS's engineer and a brilliant mechanic. Currently, he is responsible for maintaining the Psync machine and preparing Psyncs. He also invented Aiba (and set her personality to his liking).

face.png

IRIS SAGAN

Iris is an 18-year-old internet idol. She has a bright and cheerful personality with a strong sense of curiosity and a tendency to be fearless. She's made a name for herself on video streaming sites and social media. Her idol name is A-set, but her biggest fans call her Tesa.

...and more!

5KLwqjd.png

z8Idsg3.png

Unveil the mystery!
Advance the story through detective work
in "Investigations" and find clues
in the dreams of key witnesses
in their "Somnium."

Wr2jc0J.png

Find clues for solving the case
by speaking to people
and inspecting objects

slide01_01.png

bWSEVnv.png

Aiba, the artificial eye in Dat's left eye socket,
enables you to deepen your investigation
with the Zoom, Thermo and X-ray vision modes
slide02_01.png

h4_02.png

Find the truth by using
statements and evidence
obtained through key witnesses!
slide03_02.png

h4_03.png

img04_01.png

5KLwqjd.png

h3.png

The goal in Somnia is to find clues in the dreams of persons of interest.
Unlock the obstacles known as "Mental Locks" to delve further
into the subject's subconscious and obtain hidden information.

title.png

ss_01.jpg

A machine which links the subject and Psyncer to
allow the Psyncer to enter the subject's dreams and memories.

The Psyncer can only stay in the subject's dream for 6 minutes.
Solve the mystery before their mind is broken!

The story route branches differently based on the results of the Somnium.
You can redo the Somnium where the path diverges to advance on a different route.

h4_02.png

There are several obstacles in dreams known as Mental Locks
that prevent the subject from remembering clues.
Unlock all Mental Locks to obtain valuable information.
slide02_01.png

h4_03.png

In Somnia, you make choices to progress.
However, each action costs time, so make your choices
carefully to investigate everything within 6 minutes.
slide03_01.png

REVIEW THREAD

TRAILERS

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to my copy showing up tomorrow. Wish it came out earlier in the week here but it works out better this way for me.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
My only comment about the game is that when I realized it was literally a game about "mind hack"ing I almost turned off my PS4

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've shown up - have posted in the other thread.

Genuinely so sorry about this.

Edit: Your OT is fantastic - kudos. I wouldn't have been able to make anything so nice with the graphics on the headers. I question the OT title though, as I said in the other thread, and think (Kotaro Uchikoshi) should be placed next to the game title before |OT| to attract those who aren't aware of the release of a new game from him.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Finally the OT! I am really looking forward to getting this game - and with a shipping without tracking, I have really to look forward every day.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nice OT title.

C O M P L E X M O T I V E S.

Will grab this in Steam when discounted, too much spent on games recently.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
I've shown up - have posted in the other thread.

Genuinely so sorry about this.

Edit: Your OT is fantastic - kudos. I wouldn't have been able to make anything so nice with the graphics on the headers. I question the OT title though, as I said in the other thread, and think (Kotaro Uchikoshi) should be placed next to the game title before |OT| to attract those who aren't aware of the release of a new game from him.
I'm so sorry about this, but as you said this game needs the max amount of exposure possible so not having at OT was something weird in my eyes. Since you claimed the OT we can close this one or keep it, let me know your suggestion of the OT Title and I'll ask a mod to change it

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
A-Set, you bet!

I'm 14 hours into the game, haven't hit a proper ending yet but man am I loving it.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm going in almost blind.
hype hype hype hype.

I'm not getting it till payday though, as I'm playing it with a group of friends.

Anyone whose finished it, roughly how long was it?

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Waiting for my physical copy on Switch after hearing about this a few days ago. I hope it's as good as others are saying it is.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm so sorry about this, but as you said this game needs the max amount of exposure possible so not having at OT was something weird in my eyes. Since you claimed the OT we can close this one or keep it, let me know your suggestion of the OT Title and I'll ask a mod to change it

No way are we closing your amazing OT.

I just can't apologise enough for leaving the game OT-less. I've been quietly hyped and away from screens and then I come on and find everyone wondering where the hell the OT is.

My OT title was going to be |OT| MPD Psychonauts, as the game's initial teaser image (and subsequent vibe in general) reminded me heavily of the manga MPD Psycho, and the going-inside-people's-minds thing was very Psychonauts. I really don't want to demand you impose that on your thread though, especially after failing to deliver the thread on time for people.

Larsa

Oct 25, 2017
5 hours in and I still keep switching between the JP and English voices lol, they both seem pretty good. Surprisingly leaning English though due to overexposure of some of the JP VAs (Kurosawa Tomoyo and Kito Akari are everywhere these days.)

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
any info on how the Switch version performs? like, does it run at the same fps and resolution as PS4?

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for making such a comprehensive and good-looking OT at the last minute, Xavi

Can't wait to play more tonight and talk spoilers.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Separate spoiler thread for open spoiler talk once most people have had a chance to finish the thing?

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I'll play it after Link's Awakening, so in 3-4 days I think.

Going blind this time (in fact I barely knew about the game until a thread appearead in Era a few days ago), I've only watched a trailer or two and all the A-Set (you bet) videos on YT. I loved 999 and VLR so much, a new game from the same writer is a no-brainer day-one for me.

Also really good job Xavi with the OT in such a short time, molt be nano.

Last edited:

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
*looks at OT title*

How dare you. :p

Have the Switch CE coming in next weekend probably, so will be a bit. Have been playing WoW classic pretty much every day, but games from this writer mean I drop everything to go through. :p

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Played the first 30 minutes today and I already love it. Can't wait to get into it after exam season's over.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
any info on how the Switch version performs? like, does it run at the same fps and resolution as PS4?

It is a very good version and a nice looking game. don't worry about that.
frame rate is 30fps.

--------------------------------------

This is important: don't go expecting this game to be another Zero Escape, it is (completely) different. the flow of the game is different, the writing style is different too. in the end, its not an escape room game, its a mystery game.

This game - at least for now - has less suspense and stress than Zero Escape games, but it has more human drama and relationships dynamics.

Music direction is also different, and more human, like the music is trying to talk to you and make you feel the characters.

Somnium parts are crazy. of course, this is Uchikoshi here, its not like the guy lacks any imagination. but the game has some... really "odd" parts, comical maybe... but not as smart and believable as, lets say, Ace Attorney.

Some people won't like this game as much as 999, but others, especially those who are used to consume Japanese entertainment, will love it much more than ZE games I think.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I bought the game and downloaded it already, even though it's the 20th now where I am it's still not live.
80 AUD, feels like highway robbery.
I'm going in very blind on this one, way more than most games/VNs, but I have high hopes after 999 and VLR.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely down for a spoiler thread whenever people feel like it's time for one. Would love to talk about it.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Can I ask a question? Is a flowchart present in this game to return to previous scenes or decisions, like in VLR and differently from the original DS version of 999?

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
I have the physical version pre-ordered. Game looks cool. Looking forward to trying it out. Just curious, is this game as violent as it appears to be?

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
My copy should be waiting for me when I get home. This game wasn't on my radar at all this time last week but the recent positive vibes have changed that. Luckily I have just finished Astral Chain so am ready to go.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
My physical copy shipped today, now to wait 3-7 days, trying to avoid spoilers.
See you guys in this thread once I get my hands on it!

Hope everyone will have a great time with the game.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This is really weird so far, I like MC and his AI waifu but otherwise it's just very...slow I guess? Definitely not action/tension packed.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I've put an hour or two in so far. Enjoying it minus the stupid sex jokes.

Early-ish speculation (post-first-Psync) regarding something Aiba has mentioned a few times about Date... She has made a bunch of references to a "dosage" being wrong, usually when Date veers too far in one of two directions: goofy or violent. It feels like they're setting me up to think that Date was the killer in the original Cyclops Killer murders, and has been mentally re-programmed through some drug to serve as a detective. Aiba's a partner, but she also serves a dual role to keep him under constant surveillance. I hope Uchikoshi has something cleverer than that in mind, but it would certainly explain a lot of things here. Since psync-ing carries an inherent risk with the 6-minute time limit, it makes sense to use someone disposable - like a criminal - to undertake psync-ing operations.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got this digitally on Switch, haven't had a chance to check it out yet but looking forward to starting it up this weekend!