• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Somnium with Iris in Day 3 (left branch) were something else. I did the first one and the conclusion of the day was rougher I was expecting regarding what happened to Iris (at least it's alive...), but the other branch of the Somnium is blowing my mind because the implications that I need to take a rest before want to continue the day.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the game and after being disappointed by Zero Time Dilemma I was so happy to see that Uchikoshi has still got it. Such a fantastic cast with a well written plot and twists that still managed to blow my mind. I don't get the complaints regarding the sexual humour. It's one of the highlights of the game and it's bloody hilarious! I found myself thinking of the game for a long time after finishing it which is testament to its quality. Have to give kudos to Keisuke Ito for producing a fantastic OST as well. I'm back on the Uchikoshi believer train now.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game and after being disappointed by Zero Time Dilemma I was so happy to see that Uchikoshi has still got it. Such a fantastic cast with a well written plot and twists that still managed to blow my mind. I don't get the complaints regarding the sexual humour. It's one of the highlights of the game and it's bloody hilarious!
I found it mostly funny and inoffensive as well. It reminded me of the humor in the Yakuza games where the sexual jokes are almost exclusively at the the expense of the protagonist or some bad henchmen. The game made fun of Date for being a horndog, but I didn't think the comedy every really punched down.

Ai does blend a darker detective story with abstract dream sequences, a bunch of anime elements and this kind of humor. So it's only natural that such a mix won't work for everyone. The main criticism against the humor and anime elements seems to come from people who wished the game was more serious throughout. I don't agree, but I totally get that.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Yo, the Right side of the flow chart is so much better than the Left it's not even funny.

Mizuki's route was very good, I won't lie, but I'm enjoying this game much more now.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I am currently in the purple route, and little by little new pieces of information are coming up.
Pewter has been the one who made Iris almost be kidnapped! And he is also Renju's lover, I would absolutely never expect that! Uchikoshi always delivers. I still don't know if he is the killer of Shoko (I doubt it) and if he belongs to the organization Iris spoke about (if she tells the truth), but at this point he is the "bad" person in the ABIS. So in the other route, did Boss kill So just for sake of justice?
Now I am at the scene where Iris has been taken hostage by Pewter and Moma comes to help Date to save her. I am confident in Moma, his love for ASet-chan will save her!

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Yo, the Right side of the flow chart is so much better than the Left it's not even funny.

Mizuki's route was very good, I won't lie, but I'm enjoying this game much more now.
Yes at the moment I am finding the right part really intriguing! It seems to me that it is better experiences after playing the left branch. Since I am going completely blind in the game, I think I am lucky to have first played the left branch

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I played the demo on the eShop. That.... was NOT strong at all. Definitely cooled me a bit on this game. I wish it was on sale somewhere, I know if I'm patient it will go on sale around Christmas...

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Checked out the demo on Switch. Thoughts on the two big points of contention:

The somnium seems randomish like people say, but I feel like I saw some loose threads of logic. The ice pick choice seemed obvious. It looked like picking either cage could work, and the balloon choices seemed pretty obvious. A lot of the smaller choices feel random, but you can also view them as the game's way of letting you stockpile the timies. Overall, it felt loosely guided, but rough around the edges. Do the later somniums get really truly random? Also, where was I supposed to find the hidden item in this somnium?

The perv jokes are pretty tiring. Even though there were only 2, they're delivered in the lamest, weebiest way. Not sure this game actually introduces enough interesting concepts to be worth sitting through too many of those. Like, even edgy high schooler me would've been above the stuff Date dishes out.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017

The somnium seems randomish like people say, but I feel like I saw some loose threads of logic. The ice pick choice seemed obvious. It looked like picking either cage could work, and the balloon choices seemed pretty obvious. A lot of the smaller choices feel random, but you can also view them as the game's way of letting you stockpile the timies. Overall, it felt loosely guided, but rough around the edges. Do the later somniums get really truly random? Also, where was I supposed to find the hidden item in this somnium?

The perv jokes are pretty tiring. Even though there were only 2, they're delivered in the lamest, weebiest way. Not sure this game actually introduces enough interesting concepts to be worth sitting through too many of those. Like, even edgy high schooler me would've been above the stuff Date dishes out.
There's some "random" stuff but mostly there's some sort of internal logic to the somniums and you can see patterns of what you're supposed to do.

Also there's a lot of pervy jokes in the game. I'd say it's worth to play it still, I just finished the game and I'm satisfied with how the story turned out even if I rolled my eyes every time some anime-ass perv scenes occurred.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This game is gold. "Hey, something gruesome happened, now we are showing you something funny to lift your spirit".

Mizuki is awesome and can kick any ass.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I played the demo on the eShop. That.... was NOT strong at all. Definitely cooled me a bit on this game. I wish it was on sale somewhere, I know if I'm patient it will go on sale around Christmas...

The first day is very weak honestly. I said in the other thread for the demo, but this demo should have included at least two days and have a proper somnium segment. It would have been worth 1-3 hours of playtime to figure out if you will like the game.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017

The park somnium is one of the better ones. Like the park, there are some somniums that do have some loose logic associated with them, but the ratio of logic to randomness varies. And then there are a few that just feel random as fuck.

The perv/weeb jokes get worse, unfortunately. It's a lame undercurrent to the whole game that is obviously trying to be funny, but fell flat to me 90% of the time. I would have enjoyed the game a lot more without it.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017

Honestly, they are much less random that I originally thought, after reading some opinions. It is the first time that I am appreciating a time-based game mechanic. Most of the times, you have to behave as the character subject to the Somnium would do.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I have just finished Iris Route.
It is so sad that, after believing her story and givin her the Fruit of Immortality, Date fins her without the left eye and dying. This route almost seems a bad ending, I suppose that I will find out more information in the other branch, when I do not believe her story about Naix.
Anyway it is really interesting how Somniums are having an impact on the story, let's see what the ending reservers about it.

Cat_o_Nine

Dec 12, 2017
USA
As a dissent, I loved the pervy jokes because I got to share it with the wife and we both got a laugh out of them.

Usually "Yikes!"

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alright, I need tech help. What the fuck?

I'm in Iris' ShovelForge somnium, and the game KEEPS. CRASHING. First it crashed in the transition between pixelated areas and the real Yokocho, then it crashed when going through a yellow gate in Yokocho, evaded that by turning the camera away from it while going under the gate (yeah), the same thing happened at the next gate with the same solution, but now when I pick "Enter" at the end of Yokocho, the game crashes again and I don't know what to fucking do. What the hell?

I might very well drop the game for now if this keeps up.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017

I'm in Iris' ShovelForge somnium, and the game KEEPS. CRASHING. First it crashed in the transition between pixelated areas and the real Yokocho, then it crashed when going through a yellow gate in Yokocho, evaded that by turning the camera away from it while going under the gate (yeah), the same thing happened at the next gate with the same solution, but now when I pick "Enter" at the end of Yokocho, the game crashes again and I don't know what to fucking do. What the hell?

Are you playing the Switch version? I played that really segment of the game yesterday evening and it didn't crash. Actually, even though the game is a bit slow in loading some scenes (sometimes too slow...), it never crashed for me at the moment (I am currently at 21 hours).

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are you playing the Switch version? I played that really segment of the game yesterday evening and it didn't crash. Actually, even though the game is a bit slow in loading some scenes (sometimes too slow...), it never crashed for me at the moment (I am currently at 21 hours).
PC. Steam forums has more reports of the same issue.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I went into the right part of the right branch and... The plot twists start. All the signs were there about
Iris being ill
but I would have never expect that. The amount of foreshadowing is really impressive.
Moreover,
the frozen corpse belongs to another person! (The Alice name is also a nice wink for Zero Escape's fan
I have been really lucky to keep this route until this point, I feel it is one of the last routes to be played.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I went into the right part of the right branch and... The plot twists start. All the signs were there about
Iris being ill
but I would have never expect that. The amount of foreshadowing is really impressive.
Moreover,
the frozen corpse belongs to another person! (The Alice name is also a nice wink for Zero Escape's fan
I have been really lucky to keep this route until this point, I feel it is one of the last routes to be played.
If you go into that route too early, it is locked until you finish certain other routes.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
So, it is the same as for the
green
route? Because in the left branch of the flowchart that route is still blocked, and I was assuming it was the route leading to the true ending.

Yes. I believe...

Those are the only two routes that ever have locks, which surprised me. Though I kinda wish the far right one you're on out the lock earlier; it only locks when you find the body again, not before learning about Iris, so it was a little weird to learn that much first and then do the left side later.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
And now the first dots start to be aligned, too.
I am sure that Iris is Alice's daughter, probably Okiura is her real father.
Instead, Date clearly swapped his conciousness with another person 6 years before, I guess with the first Cyclops killer.

Edit: and I am already partially wrong, about the first statement

Last edited:

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Last consideration of the day (this game is so mindblowing, I think that Uchikoshi's VNs are really the perfect VNs for my tastes, I should already know it)
It is stated that Manaka's killer was 12 at the time he killed her.
When in a VN an age is highlighted this way, it is often relevant. So I went to the files and read that Date is 30 years old.
18 years passed from the day Manaka was killed, and...
12+18=30
I doubt it is a coincidence (unless I am overthinking the age question).

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'm dropping the game until this is fixed. What a shame.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I'm dropping the game until this is fixed. What a shame.
Did it again happened? It is really crazy that the Steam version has such big problems, and sad that because of this you cannot enjoy this VN. As I said, loading times on Switch are sometimes really slow, in particular with animations in the rhombus, but fortunately no crashes.
Are many people complaining about that part of the game on Steam forums? That would be the only way to get a fix, maybe.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I arrived to Ota: END. The writing of this game is very good.

Edit: I passed the mark of 10 hours! Who would believe I started this a week ago.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I just got to a certain part in the right path and all I can keep saying is:

Fuck...

I'm soo happy to have finished the Left side before going to the Right side because man, while it was good before, it's getting better and better with each passing hour.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did it again happened? It is really crazy that the Steam version has such big problems, and sad that because of this you cannot enjoy this VN. As I said, loading times on Switch are sometimes really slow, in particular with animations in the rhombus, but fortunately no crashes.
Are many people complaining about that part of the game on Steam forums? That would be the only way to get a fix, maybe.
There's a thread on it with no consistent solution.

It happened probably 7-8 times total.

It's really soured me on the game right now.

I'm soo happy to have finished the Left side before going to the Right side because man, while it was good before, it's getting better and better with each passing hour.
I got that advice from someone and I'm really glad I heeded it.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Date: You are both
awful parents.

I agree.
I'm so glad he said that. It needed to be said.

Shoko's tirade in particular hit pretty close to home for me. Her twisted logic leading up to her admitting that she beats Mizuki is eerily close to the thoughts I've seen from some real parents.

She does care about Mizuki, but all the anxiety and controlling thoughts she has twists everything around until her attempt at parenting becomes abusive behavior. It's all too real.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I am getting home, today I cannot play AI on the tram since I didn't find any place.. I understand that a game becomes one of my favourite of the years from the fact that I want to play a game on the commute.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad he said that. It needed to be said.

Shoko's tirade in particular hit pretty close to home for me. Her twisted logic leading up to her admitting that she beats Mizuki is eerily close to the thoughts I've seen from some real parents.

She does care about Mizuki, but all the anxiety and controlling thoughts she has twists everything around until her attempt at parenting becomes abusive behavior. It's all too real.

It was frustranting to read honestly and it changed my perception of those characters.

By the way I can't help myself and I did a meme about the scene.

1041356.jpg

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Summary of the day: I got blocked on the right branch, but the left branch unlocked. I did the Psynching and... wow.
Saito is really the New Cyclops killer. Date's body is really Saito's body. And, most of all, it is crazy how each time he used the body of the previous killer to kill another one! For a moment I thought that really there could be a chain of killers. Now I am lookng forward to finding out why Date's and Saito's body was swapped, where Date's personality is (in #89?), which is the role of #89 in everything. But this is for tomorrow or Friday.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Just about done with the game, I wanted to push through but I needed to sleep so I'll finish it in a couple hours here.

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
so I finally got to the demo of this game is super fun but I find the time limit stuff to be pretty frustrating