• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
So this is weird:

Kotaro Uchokoshi's (Zero Escape) latest game AI: The Somnium Files is several months old. However, it now got heavily review bombed on Metacritic with the User Score of the Switch version tanking from 8.2 to 1.9 in just a single day, gaining 311 review ratings in the process (from 77 to 388).

There is speculation on reddit that this has to do with an explicitly pro LGBTQ+ scene happening late in the game. This is the scene in question:

Hrudhbd.png

jvekYMS.jpg

AYOUwIp.jpg

mgfyOhu.png

This is kind of a weird case though. So far it doesn't seem clear where exactly this campaign to review bomb the game originated - and why it only happened so late after it was released. I just figured this would be a great time to remind everyone of the existence of AI: The Somnium Files - it's a really, really special game, full of great characters, an awesome story, amazing soundtrack and seemingly quite a budget you're not really used to in this genre. I was already a big fan of the Zero Escape franchise but I truly think that this is Uchikoshi's best game. If you ever had any affinity for Telltale games for example you should really give this one a try.

Last edited:

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Good game? I keep giving this a pass over but with this pro LGBTQ+ message im interested again.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
The lead game designer was SO SAD about this - I explained to him the phenomenon of "review bombing", and I hope he feels better.

This was honestly my GOTY for 2019, and I hope that the counterpoint of the reviewbombing is that more people will become aware of it and play it.

So uh, yeah - please play AI: The Somnium Files.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have the game and done my part but thanks for putting it back in the spotlight

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Extremely random for such gutter trash to care enough to do this so late after it launched, yeah. Been on my radar since I tried the demo, will by all means be picking it up myself after not having the chance to do so last year.

Oct 28, 2017
Metacritic needs to have some sort of stronger vetting process for user reviews to filter out review bombing, because its literally a joke every time or almost all the time and reflects mood swings of mob mentality pathetic people who may not even own the game.

Edit: I stopped following Metacritic user reviews long time ago, it should be put up in not to touch or mention tag about anything related user reviews on that site until they put effort towards fixing it.

Edit 2: Steam has a filter for user reviews (in the form of purchases on the platform) and also a review graph which helps immensely.

ZJOvpMe.png

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
The game is on sale on the Switch eshop at the moment for anyone interested. I've been meaning to pick this up and try it.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Oddly, review bombing works again. This time, many people (myself included) are going to give the game more purchases and more support. I was on the fence for this game, but they're definitely getting my dollars now. They tried to tear the game down, and they instead signal-boosted it. Morons.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
That's... weird. Why now of all times. I cant even see most of the review bombs funnily enough. If it is due to the pro LGBTQ+ dialogue at the end, just sad and again question why only now people are choosing to review bomb it because of that ha. Very strange.
Game is great and doesnt deserve it.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really want to play this. 60 euros a bit too steep, but once it drops a bit I'm in.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
AI was a solid fucking game and if dipshit GG-ers got to it I'm going to be very pissed. BRB, opening a Metacritic account.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
This is the only positive of this lol, morons.

But yeah they are waaaaaaaay LTTP.

Metacritic needs to just disable user reviews at this point.
I would be okay with Metacritic disappearing altogether, but how much I despise that site and lament both industry and consumer obsession with it is somewhat off-topic.

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
I saw it was actually in the top selling games in Japan when I was checking the eshop charts. Made me happy to see cause it freaking deserves it!!
That LGBT scene had me in shock because I never would've thought I'd see it out of a game like this! Made me so happy!
I would like to see where this all originated from before saying it was this scene that caused it (though it wouldn't surprise me if it was).

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
That's just stupid, but if this means more people buy and play the game, I'm glad. Really good game, more people needs to play it.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
The lead game designer was SO SAD about this - I explained to him the phenomenon of "review bombing", and I hope he feels better.

This was honestly my GOTY for 2019, and I hope that the counterpoint of the reviewbombing is that more people will become aware of it and play it.

So uh, yeah - please play AI: The Somnium Files.

That's completely disheartening to hear. These are real people who will feel the affect of this over NOTHING.

For him I raised it from a 1.9 to a 2.0 with a 10 star review.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Actually the game recently went on sale this week, being 35% off on Switch. I guess that would explain the influx of people jumping in and noticing that moment and for some reason get offended.

I plan on getting it too before the sale ends.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
This game was amazing and yea, I bet it was review bombed from all the pro-LGBT views in the game by bigots. Uchikoshi did not mince words about it at all. Love that man.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I never knew about htis game. Are the game characters as fun and charismatic as in Virtue Last Reward, or more serious like in 999?
From the screens the OP posted it seems more VLR, and if thats the case im all in.

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Weird, wonder if someone can track down the origin of the bombing campaign?

I wish it was on the Irish eShop :-(

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never knew about htis game. Are the game characters as fun and charismatic as in Virtue Last Reward, or more serious like in 999?
From the screens the OP posted it seems more VLR, and if thats the case im all in.
It cranks fun character bullshit up to eleven.

I didn't adore it anywhere as mush as 999 or VLR, but the game's still a fun fucking time!

LiK

Oct 25, 2017

Same writer and creator and it's his best work yet. Amazing characters. It's more fun and funny but the story does have plenty of dark moments.

Tolby

Sep 24, 2019
Eastern Europe
The game is full of sexual stuff for straight white men. But the LGBT community having some characters and a minute of screen time is too much?
How sad.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The Mitsuki conservation was probably posted in some gutterpit somewhere and now the incels are now super worked up about it.

AI is fantastic if not for flawed gameplay and awful sexual jokes, those aside it's a very well crafted story.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Not too sure how VLR's characters count as fun and charismatic while 999's are just serious, but going on about my gripes with VLR would once again be off-topic.

What I'm familiar with was fun and reminded me more of Uchikoshi's work on 999 quality-wise, so that's how I was sold on it.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Oh, this hurts my fucking heart. Ai: The Somnium Files is one of my favorite games of last year, maybe even my favorite Uchikoshi game, I even bought it for multiple friends and tried my hardest to get others to play it too because the little coverage it got hurt. Mizuki's dialogue and the game even having some LGBT characters meant so, so much and the game truly doesn't deserve this shit. I hate homophobes and transphobes so much it's unreal. I haven't read any of the reviews if there even are any (partly to avoid having to read homphobic and transphobic comments), but I still wish Metacritic would do something against shit like this, like only allow people to score a game if they also write reviews or something. Sure, at the end of the day they might not mean much, but I'm sure they still hurt the developers as this is only based on homophobia and transphobia and nothing else.

FamousLastX

Oct 25, 2017
Just picked this up in the eshop sale last week, glad I did now and that I supported the game. Looking forward to diving in soon.

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
Not related, but i was off my the constant sex jokes and boring story. Highly disappointed and i even loved zero time dilemma

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Buying this today. I have heard a lot of good things about it, but put it off until now. The demo really impressed me.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
It cranks fun character bullshit up to eleven.

I didn't adore it anywhere as mush as 999 or VLR, but the game's still a fun fucking time!
Thats nice.
I really didnt enjoy the characters in 999 but had a bunch of fun with the VLR ones, so if it goes with the more fun route is at the top of my buying list now.

Same writer and creator and it's his best work yet. Amazing characters.
Yeah knew it was by Uchikosi after I read the thread (didnt know he had a new game after Zero Time dilemma), just wanted to know if the character were more similar to 999 or VLR

Not too sure how VLR's characters count as fun and charismatic while 999's are just serious, but going on about my gripes with VLR would once again be off-topic.

What I'm familiar with was fun and reminded me more of Uchikoshi's work on 999 quality-wise, so that's how I was sold on it.
Well, they were serious 99% of the time, and yes, less tropey than the ones in VLR, that in my opinion, apart fropm the still seriousness of all it, had more fun characters and routes.
I also found the puzzles less maths problem and more intuition. I know people talk better about 999 in this forum, but I didnt enjoy it very much and only got VLR becuase a friend of mine gifted me the game for the Vita and I gave it a shot.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
I don't get it though, why now?
As a ZE fan I really want to get this, waiting for a sale.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Another EPIC SNOWFLAKE GAMER moment from your regular gators

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
I got to that section a couple of days ago and was really impressed.

I've rated all versions 10/10 to try and offset at least a couple of the bastards.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Thats nice.
I really didnt enjoy the characters in 999 but had a bunch of fun with the VLR ones, so if it goes with the more fun route is at the top of my buying list now.

Yeah knew it was by Uchikosi after I read the thread (didnt know he had a new game after Zero Time dilemma), just wanted to know if the character were more similar to 999 or VLR

Well, they were serious 99% of the time, and yes, less tropey than the ones in VLR, that in my opinion, apart fropm the still seriousness of all it, had more fun characters and routes.
I also found the puzzles less maths problem and more intuition. I know people talk better about 999 in this forum, but I didnt enjoy it very much and only got VLR becuase a friend of mine gifted me the game for the Vita and I gave it a shot.

A better comparison is Ai is basically what Ace Attorney is like if Uchi wrote it instead. Gameplay is way less heavy on brain puzzles as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.