• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Is there any reason to go Switch over PS4 for this game?
It's on sale on Switch, but I also have a Pro and a 4K TV. A lot of Switch games don't look fantastic on that... unless the game is that much better handheld?

Any performance issues with either option?

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's on sale on Switch, but I also have a Pro and a 4K TV. A lot of Switch games don't look fantastic on that... unless the game is that much better handheld?

Touchscreen is nice, but when I was playing, there were some annoying glitches (game stutters when loading scenes like flashbacks, had the game soft lock because of it once in a very dramatic scene). Dunno if they patched and fixed that though, and don't know if it's only the switch version.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game looks really good and I'm surprised that I never heard of it before. Guess I'll have to buy it.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Touchscreen is nice, but when I was playing, there were some annoying glitches (game stutters when loading scenes like flashbacks, had the game soft lock because of it once in a very dramatic scene). Dunno if they patched and fixed that though, and don't know if it's only the switch version.
It gets particularly bad towards the end when some of the big reveals start happening and it seems like the game pauses for a few seconds to load up a flashback every few lines of dialog. I think the Switch version is mostly fine outside of that though.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Shit move, but it's worth noting that it's the user reviews that are sabotaged, not the overall critical aggregate and main number displayed, and anyone who's ever read a user review on Metacritic knows never to look at the user score ever again. It's like the comments on a YouTube video. It means utterly nothing and it's disappointing to see people disparage Metacritic's actual critical consensus as if that's the score being compromised. It isn't.

Again, douchebag move to plummet the user review, but I believe in Metacritic's actual critical aggregating.

Oct 25, 2017

Switch performance is pretty bad for the game in general, plus it has some pretty frequent long load times too that aren't present on the other version, literally between lines of dialogue.

It's playable on Switch, and it's how I finished it because it's ultimately a VN, but I do wish that I played it on another platform instead.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Switch performance is pretty bad for the game in general, plus it has some pretty frequent long load times too that aren't present on the other version, literally between lines of dialogue.

It's playable on Switch, and it's how I finished it because it's ultimately a VN, but I do wish that I played it on another platform instead.
Thanks guys. I think I might look at the PS4 version instead.

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully, we have learned that the reason AI : The Somnium files was review bombed was not a result of an angry group upset at the pro LGBT themes of the game, but instead a critique on Metacritic's lack of a decent review system. Does that give the person who created those accounts a pass for doing that? Most likely not. Will that person publicly admit what they did? i don't know.

As I posted before, post #128 has all the answers, though you really need to *ahem* read between the lines a bit to see what happened and who did it. I don't want to accuse anyone, and I want the unintended drama and hot takes that this situation has caused to subside, and regardless of the fact, I hope people enjoy AI: The Somnium files in their own way, As long as it's not destructive.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
Thankfully, we have learned that the reason AI : The Somnium files was review bombed was not a result of an angry group upset at the pro LGBT themes of the game, but instead a critique on Metacritic's lack of a decent review system. Does that give the person who created those accounts a pass for doing that? Most likely not. Will that person publicly admit what they did? i don't know.

As I posted before, post #128 has all the answers, though you really need to *ahem* read between the lines a bit to see what happened and who did it. I don't want to accuse anyone, and I want the unintended drama and hot takes that this situation has caused to subside, and regardless of the fact, I hope people enjoy AI: The Somnium files in their own way, As long as it's not destructive.

I am inclined to read the situation the way you are.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I don't believe for a second that's the cause, there's no way so they are this anti-LGBT.

EDIT: Nevermind, after reflecting on GG's past I withdraw my judgement.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I mean even if they did have some better verification against review spam, the corollary to this is what I've been saying for a while, that aggregated review scores are meaningless outside of any context besides the number itself.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't believe for a second that's the cause, there's no way so they are this anti-LGBT.

Most gators are shitheads but they are not necessarily anti-LGBT or even anti-diversity. From my experience they are mostly against the ''SJW'' more so than the ideology they support. Basically they hate the left but doesn't really hate what the left is rooting for.

They are really not the type of people that would review bomb a game to this degree just because it supports LGBT in one scene. There's got to be a different reason.

Is this sarcasm?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

Most gators are shitheads but they are not necessarily anti-LGBT or even anti-diversity. From my experience they are mostly against the ''SJW'' more so than the ideology they support. Basically they hate the left but doesn't really hate what the left is rooting for.

They are really not the type of people that would review bomb a game to this degree just because it supports LGBT in one scene. There's got to be a different reason.
The game wasn't review bombed around that - you can easily see that on the last page. Despite that you are still massively off the mark when it comes to GG and the general chuds out there not being anti-LGBT and diversity.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019

Are you high?

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
They are garbage, but they are not this aggressive. Certainly not with such wholesome and positive message in the game.

My point is, I don't really think that's the main reason why it's review bombed.

They really are that aggressive, though, and completely reprehensible. Like, they are absolutely deplorable to us LGBT folk at every step that they take.

I really don't want to even address them, but when a game like Heartbeat promotes itself by mocking trans suicide, or Ion Fury refuses to patch out homophobic jokes whilst they get positive review bombed, you can never convince me otherwise.

Regardless if it were the reason or not AI was review bombed.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

While I think it's probably true that this instance of review bombing is not targeting AI because of a motivated dislike for the game, only someone with no idea of the history of the whole GG thing would think that it would be beyond them to review bomb a small game with a positive message about queer people

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
They really are that aggressive, though, and completely reprehensible. Like, they are absolutely deplorable to us LGBT folk at every step that they take.

I really don't want to even address them, but when a game like Heartbeat promotes itself by mocking trans suicide, or Ion Fury refuses to patch out homophobic jokes whilst they get positive review bombed, you can never convince me otherwise.

Regardless if it were the reason or not AI was review bombed.

While I think it's probably true that this instance of review bombing is not targeting AI because of a motivated dislike for the game, only someone with no idea of the history of the whole GG thing would think that it would be beyond them to review bomb a small game with a positive message about queer people

You know what? You're right, they can be very aggressive and I guess I was a bit too easy on them for a second.

However, my assumption was correct. The LGBT message is not the cause of the review bomb. As anti-LGBT as they can be, this doesn't anger them.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Review bombing aside, I had no idea this game even existed, and I'm a big fan of 999 and VLR (not ZTD though...), but this looks great, so I'm going to give it a chance. Bought.

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks that this happened but I'm glad people are buying the game as a result now. This was easily my second favorite game of 2019. One section of the game had me crying harder than I ever cried from a video game before. Great stuff.

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
How are some enjoying the game destructively?
Oh, because the person who review bombed the game is a huge fan of the characters A-Set and Ota. I can't say it's a reason it was review bombed is related to what happens to the characters in the game, but the person who review bombed the game needs to confess, I feel. I truly hope the person who review bombed the game confesses to what they did.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I truly hope the person who review bombed the game confesses to what they did.
They pretty much already did, so whatever.

MC user scores are broken and pointless, so I get what they were going for. But using a small niche game with a positive LGBTQ+ message like AI to prove this point seems like a bad approach and will only harm sales of a good game instead of putting pressure on MC to get their act together.

Even if the person had genuine issues with the game, it would be nice if they decide to put in the same amount of effort in reversing that negative score before writing their "If I Did It".

Jockel

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin
It's kinda funny, my girlfriend was complaining to me about the game being pretty sexist. Plus I'm not exactly comfortable with how they approached the trans person, I remember it as well intentioned, yet unintentionally transphobic (stuff like "is really a man"), but my memory might be playing tricks on me.

luminous

Oct 27, 2017

Oh.......... Just remembered said users posting history in AI threads and connected the dots like...
The way they just silently admitted to it... The Crystar detail just really sells it lol this is just sad honestly. They apparently haven't even played the game... congrats on bumming out the game devs on some weird grudge I guess

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Oh. OHHH! Wow, that's hella pathetic.

Oct 25, 2017
And now it's back from 82 userscore to 4.1.

Huh, just took a glance over user reviews' tab and there's only one person that gave it a zero since it have 153 negatives? That review system has to be broken or something.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I did kinda consider that, but it seems too absurd, even if it lines up with a ton of shit.

Nov 13, 2017
Oh.......... Just remembered said users posting history in AI threads and connected the dots like...
The way they just silently admitted to it... The Crystar detail just really sells it lol this is just sad honestly. They apparently haven't even played the game... congrats on bumming out the game devs on some weird grudge I guess

That person's posting history has stood out to me for a bit with very strange obsessive fixations about details of a game rubbing them the wrong way often followed by urgings to boycott the dev, so when you see that post... yeah...

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yeh, does seem sus as fuck that the person that magically pieced all the obscure points together, invested enough in 'correcting the reason' to post a comprehensive long post connecting all the tiny dots also happens to be a user posting complicated long posts about how much they hate the game including paragraphs like:
In short, if you're wondering how many of the (very few, mercifully.) games out there that have managed to make me genuinely furious due to how godawful it is, this is one of them. The fact the game deliberately goes out of it's way to ignore and otherwise destroy the cute promotional material they made managed to really piss me off.
🤔

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017

the criminal always returns to the scene of the crime..

bake him away, toys!

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Some people really are just fucking pathetic. GG dude. Hope you feel good review bombing a game and upsetting a Dev that worked hard.

Aug 22, 2018
So the person in this thread that clarified the situation in the first place.... WAS the review bomber, huh what even is happening lol.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
For anyone enjoying this thread, I'd recommend watching Perfect Blue. It's a pretty good film that you might find relevant.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
User Banned (permanent): engaging in inappropriate behavior
Some people really are just fucking pathetic. GG dude. Hope you feel good review bombing a game and upsetting a Dev that worked hard.

You might want to check the edit i added about 30 minutes ago. It provides a better explanation for why i did it.
Since this post is starting to get spread around (What baggage is saying is indeed the case.) because Uchikoshi himself linked the thread. I'd like to quickly note that this was not "done out of nowhere" like people are suggesting. It was specifically in response to the recent discourse of Warcraft 3 Reforged, becoming the "worst reviewed game on Metacritic". Which i found to be a bit ridiculous considering the countless cases of people similarly damaging review scores of perfectly good games (Reforged isn't even that bad of a remaster IMO, a lot of the "controversy" surrounding it is that they decided not to completely redo the cutscenes. Which they stated multiple times pre-release that they were scaling back on.)

The plan was to make a proper thread a few days after my tests were finished, demonstrating how you can easily turn any obscure game into one of the best or worst games of all time with just a few hours of work. Hence why i ended up archiving everything each step of the way. Anyone who's familiar with my previous threads (Or watched the Gamexplain video on Tomohiro Kawasae) knows i like doing investigative articles on Gaming, and this was going to be no different.

But Akira Okada ended up discovering that i had tanked the score for AI hours after i did it, and the whole story basically blew up from there.
To reiterate my thoughts on the game from previous threads. I loved most of the A-set videos and found them to be incredibly endearing, even developing a massive crush on her due to my general attachment issues. But i hated the actual game for how it basically ignores everything said videos were trying to build up, to the point that it
Takes Naixatloz, the proper antagonist of said videos. and tosses it aside by cruelly making them a hallucination caused by A-set having a brain tumor, with barely any foreshadowing. and even requires you to rip her fucking eye out yourself, as part of a bullshit "One of the Psync machines requires you to remove an eye!" plotline that other characters get to conveniently ignore, all part of a route that's specifically about her.
the protagonist being a unlikable asshole who's sole character trait is "hehe funny sex joke" + basically spends 90% of the game completely abandoning his adoptive daughter, and the fact that i personally find the storyline it uses instead to be complete and utter nonsense filled with plot holes and ridiculous logic.

I definitely feel pretty bad for Akira getting so upset over it though, especially considering that despite everything, he seems to be the person running the Japanese A-set account. Which still provides some of the cute idol content i enjoyed pre-release. Drawing little sketches of mythological figures and other fun things.

Honestly, if there's one takeaway you should get from this unfortunate situation i've gotten myself into. It's that A-set means a lot to me. Even though i hated how her game turned out, it still makes me really happy to see people doing things like creating fanart, and hopefully this encourages you (and Spike Chunsoft themselves, i really wish they'd make more videos!) to continue supporting her.

...Even it does end with you acquiring Somnium Files and actually enjoying it.

But yeah, i definitely understand why people are upset about what happened. Most of my issues with the game boil down to my unhealthy attachment to A-set, after all.

Hopefully this does at least cause Metacritic to finally fix their shit after years of similar incidents. That's the main thing i wanted to happen here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You might want to check the edit i added about 30 minutes ago. It provides a better explanation for why i did it.

But yeah, i definitely understand why people are upset about what happened. Most of my issues with the game boil down to my unhealthy attachment to A-set, after all.

Hopefully this does at least cause Metacritic to finally fix their shit after years of similar incidents. That's the main thing i wanted to happen here.
Honestly, go fuck yourself. Unbelievably pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.