• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is reclining your seat in economy class-knowing it causes discomfort to the person behind you- rude?

• Yes. It’s rude.

Votes: 261 63.7%
  • No, it’s not rude. Fuck their discomfort. I pAiD fOR tHiS fEaTUrE

Votes: 149 36.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Plenty of people are saying the guy was in the right... wanna count them?
I see one person here emphasizing with their intent but not the action.
If you recline your seat without taking stock of anyone or anything around you, it's like manspreading, putting your bag on a seat, or sticking your legs out on a crowded subway. Yes, you technically can do this since you paid for space like everyone else and you were there first. Sure, it is strongly suggested that it might not be polite to do these things, but there are no official rules that state you have to be polite.

If you continue to recline your seat after either noticing or being informed of the pain/discomfort it is directly causing to the party behind you, it suggests a lack of empathy. It would be like stepping on someone's foot on the hypothetical crowded subway train, then refusing to move your foot for the duration of the ride because it is more comfortable for you to remain as is. No one is going to die or lose a limb from that foot mash for 20 min, but you're still an asshole for not moving.
Perfectly put.

Oct 30, 2017
South Coast, UK
Usually if someone reclines in front of me I just do the same, it's not really that big of a deal. If I ever do recline, I just do it a tiny bit, because I don't want to bother who's behind me. It's annoying, sure, but to just passive aggressively poke/shake/punch the back of a seat is fucking childish. I tend to get seats at the back so I can recline without bothering anyone, though.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Not trolling, why allow one passenger to greatly inconvenience another? Especially in shitty airlines where a fully reclined seat actually puts pressure on your knees. I'm not extremely tall and I had flights where I was in pain and discomfort just because the asshole in front of me thought they should have a bit more comfort. I never do it because I'm not a selfish person. To me it's equivalent to one passenger stealing the food of another.
He was...
punching
the back
of her chair

Reclining might annoy you, but that is not justified in any way.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
this is why I always fly private jets. Just can't imagine being on a bus in the sky like this.

and lol at the 1.5 inch 'recline'

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Usually if someone reclines in front of me I just do the same, it's not really that big of a deal. It's annoying, sure, but to just passive aggressively poke/shake/punch the back of a seat is fucking childish. I tend to get seats at the back so I can recline without bothering anyone, though.

hE mIgHt Be In MaSsIvE pAiN tHo.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
To those saying the seats recline so it is acceptable. Is smoking acceptable in the seats with ashtrays still? Some of these features are made for a bygone era.
No. Because the airlines specifically tell you there is No Smoking on the plane.

However, if you reserve a table in the smoking section of a restaurant, then start attacking people for smoking, you're a psychopath.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just remove the ability to recline airline seats on economy please. It's awful to have no leg room and then no room for anything else if the person in front of you reclines. Doesn't justify what he did though lol.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
If you recline your seat without taking stock of anyone or anything around you, it's like manspreading, putting your bag on a seat, or sticking your legs out on a crowded subway. Yes, you technically can do this since you paid for space like everyone else and you were there first. Sure, it is strongly suggested that it might not be polite to do these things, but there are no official rules that state you have to be polite.

If you continue to recline your seat after either noticing or being informed of the pain/discomfort it is directly causing to the party behind you, it suggests a lack of empathy. It would be like stepping on someone's foot on the hypothetical crowded subway train, then refusing to move your foot for the duration of the ride because it is more comfortable for you to remain as is. No one is going to die or lose a limb from that foot mash for 20 min, but you're still an asshole for not moving.
Who the fuck cares. This does not give you the agency to be physically aggressive.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
I paid for this airhorn, so I will damn well toot it whenever and wherever I want.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like seat reclining as much as the next person but the OP seems to be taking the side of the guy punching and pushing someone's seat.

He's not holding a fussy kid that doesn't have a seat or working on a laptop he's sitting there on his phone, boo hoo. I would normally say it's rude to fully recline a seat but it really doesn't affect your leg room, you might need to adjust the screen on the back of the seat, it's annoying but it's not taking away space you're normally occupying.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
What I like Is that when most people get into a car in the front seat - if someone behind them- they will most likely ask "do you have enough leg room-can I move my seat up?"

Those same people get on a plane and all bets are off - common courtesy goes right out the window.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Really?

I fully understand his reaction... anyone who reclines their seat on an airplane can go to hell. But I can't imagine having the audacity to do it.. it's really insane to say the least.
i'm not saying that his retaliation was right... but i understand.
Reclining is so anti-social, it actually infuriates me. Why do airlines allow you to gain comfort at the expense of others??? It's mind boggling. The guy is a hero and screw her.
That man is a national hero

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
What airline do you people fly where the seats recline more than one literal inch? I'm frequently on United and it seems that pretty much everyone reclines their seats once able and it hardly makes a difference for anyone on either side of the seat.

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus christ some of you are some petulant motherfuckers.

Who cares!? I fly like once every two months on average, always economy, and I don't give two shits if the person in front of me reclines. I'll recline too, unless the passenger behind me has a baby or something.

Get over yourselves, my god. It's not the end of the world and if the seats have the option then why not use it?

I'm 6' and 180lbs for the record, so I'm not a small guy.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Reclining is fine for late-night flights when you're trying to rest (and people not trying to sleep can deal).

It's rude during the daytime.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, i feel there's more to this story.
Those are.. insane claims.

Her Twitter feed is right there.

The flight was on January 31st.
She tried emailing AA three times to no response.
They didn't acknowledge her until she went public on Twitter, so she wants to keep it public.

She is not claiming these events made her get surgery. She had cervical fusion in the past which has been aggravated by this man's actions.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I fly somewhat often and I don't recline - except maybe for long-haul 8+ hour flights. I'm more of the opinion that if you do not want to be at the mercy of other's actions on the flight, then pay up for an upgraded ticket so you can avoid issues like these. Just like a crying babies or loud conversation, get headphones to solve that problem.

Ultimately, the seats are made to recline. And until they aren't, it's all fair game. That's on your seat selection if you choose to fly economy then complain about the features possible in that seat and the airline for packing seats in like they do in economy.

I do know the reaction shouldn't be hitting the seat in front - the airline will be paying for their dumbass reaction to that.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
i responded to that quote. Why don't you respond to my retort? Also your point isn't anywhere in their post.
Your response was to excuse people whom abuse the ability to do a *thing* at the expense of other's well being just because they can. I didn't think that nightmare logic warranted a reply.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't see the problem, it's like when I play my music at the highest volume, not sure why people get upset when I use something the way it was designed.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The ADULT thing to do would have been to ask the person to raise the seatback, but no dude goes straight to hitting her headrest!? what a fucking child.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
What airline do you people fly where the seats recline more than one literal inch? I'm frequently on United and it seems that pretty much everyone reclines their seats once able and it hardly makes a difference for anyone on either side of the seat.

It's funny how most of the people in here who ACTUALLY fly economy like... frequently...are baffled by the people that seem to suggest reclining will squish you like a panini.

I'm flying tomorrow. Feel like I should take photos and post them here. (Oh wait no I won't because whycantanyofyoufuckersjustbenormal)

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Reclining sucks when the tray table is forced to an angle, and when the backseat screen is angled down, and especially bad for tall folks. I'm six feet tall and my knees are already in a bad way when reclining happens - can't imagine what it's like for folks taller than I am, but it must be miserable.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Just remove the ability to recline airline seats on economy please. It's awful to have no leg room and then no room for anything else if the person in front of you reclines. Doesn't justify what he did though lol.

This. If it's available, then people are going to use it. If it's not, problem solved. Also, nothing wrong with taking a peek behind you before reclining your seat. Like I don't recline my seat ever, but even if I did I wouldn't if there was someone I would be causing physical discomfort to.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Those first two aren't condoning the action and the latter two were posted after you insisted this was the case. Epic.
I knew you'd try to spin this.... them saying they understand is very much supporting his behaviour.

And you can go further back and read if you like. It's not hard.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
I said as much in my first post, he should've been removed from the flight. Just like if you punch the guy who steps on your foot or manspreads, you go to jail.
sure but the issue in this thread isn't some war between recliners and non-recliners. The specific issue is that someone did something another person didn't like and they responded violently in kind. I've never disagreed in this thread about reclining being pretty inconsiderate, but the response in this thread is embarrassing. You don't need to both sides anyone in this situation because reclining a seat isn't as bad as physical aggression no matter how much you hate it. Unfortunately Dalek doesn't care about discourse and decided to fan the flame of stupidity.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If someone reclining is bothering you, you ought to approach them like an adult about it. If you're going to recline, you ought to ask the person behind you if it's okay. Talk. Use your words. Adult stuff. That's about it.

Neither of these approaches to this problem were in any way the appropriate way to go about it.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
It's not the end of the world and if the seats have the option then why not use it?
Because it's sElfiSH to put your own comfort over someone else's comfort, despite no one seeming to see the irony that they are basically saying the same but opposite (person in back gets priority over person in front).

RoaringMdog

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
What he did was childish, but she should have asked if he was ok with her putting her seat back. That shit is annoying as fuck especially if you're using the little tray. Both parties are dumb as fuck here.

Feb 4, 2018

This is a great response so I don't have much to add, but I'd like to point out that manspreading, putting your bag on a seat, and sticking legs out are not features of riding the subway and are not normal, reasonable responses to riding the subway.

Reclining your seat is a feature provided by the airlines to ameliorate the effects of sitting in an uncomfortable chair for an extended period of time.

Reasonable people can have a conversation around what's too much--"hey man, your chair is digging into my knees." "well, I had back surgery last week and my back is killing me." "Okay, I understand that but can you lean up just to where you aren't digging into my knees?" "Sure, no problem."

Not hard.

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. Because the airlines specifically tell you there is No Smoking on the plane.

However, if you reserve a table in the smoking section of a restaurant, then start attacking people for smoking, you're a psychopath.

Totally not defending the psychopath in the videos reaction just for the record. Just saying just because its there its not an absolute right. There are other reasons why its there.

Status
Not open for further replies.