• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is reclining your seat in economy class-knowing it causes discomfort to the person behind you- rude?

• Yes. It’s rude.

Votes: 261 63.7%
  • No, it’s not rude. Fuck their discomfort. I pAiD fOR tHiS fEaTUrE

Votes: 149 36.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think it sucks that people can't just talk to each other. That this dude can't just say "Excuse me. Can you please not recline your seat?" instead of punching at it, or that she can't just say "That punching is annoying, can you please stop it?", instead of instantly whipping out her camera and recording it. But this is where we're at as a society, and it's not going to get any better.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they would just remove the reclining feature on these seats.

This.

Also, I've been on the guys end where people recline and it fucking hurts my knees. I will always politely ask them not to recline and USUALLY they wont. If they do recline after I've asked them, I will admit I'm petty as shit about it and will do everything I can to make their flight miserable.

I fly for work and dont get to choose my seats. It sucks being tall on an airplane.

Oct 28, 2017
Airlines are ultimately to blame for allowing reclining in such a small space in the first place, pitting people against one another.

She is an asshole for not having any consideration for her surroundings. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should.

He's an asshole for dealing with it in such a childish way. Though, perhaps he tried being more cordial earlier, we wouldn't know from her perspective.
Why the hell would we assume she is an asshole? All we know is that she reclined her chair and that he kept shaking her chair to intentionally bother her. Why in any way assume she is being an asshole? Do you just assume everybody who reclines is an asshole?

Zarathustra

Oct 27, 2017
In my experience recliners are pretty horrible and entitled individuals. 'I paid for the seat and it's a feature' is not a good response when you're invading someone else's space for your own personal comfort. That other person has also paid for the feature of having a small desk in front of them, unless everyone's supposed to use their seat's desk to eat or put stuff on.

thankfully most airlines are now limiting reclining or removing it altogether.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And to think this are the kind of pricks that complain loudly about babies on movies with the delusion that they are Larry David in a Curb episode that is their sad lives.

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for saying this. It's 100% accurate.
yea seriously...

Recliners need to just straight be removed, im only 5'9" and im fucking cramped as hell before they recline. I can only imagine how bad it is for taller people. Its even worse on international flights where you need access to your tray and reclining completely removes the ability to use it, smashing the fucking thing into your stomach

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of y'all clearly aren't 6'2"

Reclining seats in economy is the fucking devils work. That said, I would never get mad at the person who is just using the seat the way it's designed.

I would just never fly that airline again. I fly United on short flights very often and most of their seats don't recline, or if they do they recline a very tiny amount.

When everyone is shoved in their like sardines you shouldn't have fucking lazy boy recliners.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Williams responded that she had tried to reach out to the airline. "You clearly want me to do this quietly through a DM," she said. "I'm done being quiet! I've had extensive neck surgeries - my cervical spine is completely fused ... I've lost time at work, had to visit a doctor, got x-rays, and have (had) horrible headaches for a week," Williams wrote.

This lady's blatantly looking for a paycheck. I can't help but feel we're missing some info or some things are exaggerated, but then again I've been taught not to trust recliners.

Oct 28, 2017
I think it sucks that people can't just talk to each other. That this dude can't just say "Can you please not recline your seat?" instead of punching at it, or that she can't just say "that punching is annoying, can you please stop it?", instead of instantly whipping out her camera and recording it. But this is where we're at as a society, and it's not going to get any better.
You honestly can't see why she wouldn't want to talk to him?

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
oh it's coming

Skyrider%203.0%20-reddit-1561109789.jpg
Wow, just look how happy that guy is! I am now totally sold on the idea of paying legal tender for the privilege of doing horse stance while straddling a bicycle seat on a four hour flight.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's being an immature asshole about it but she's a selfish asshole for reclining her seat in Economy. There's no room lady.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
So pleased they've removed the Recline option from the LCCs I fly in Europe, my last two flights on EasyJet and Wizz Air haven't had a recline option available.

It's how it should be for short flights - although I'd like to see them implement this on long haul flights too - I once had a 13.5 hour flight from Melbourne to Doha in Economy and the Woman in front of me fully reclined her seat to sleep leaving me with next to no leg room for the entire flight. Ridiculously annoying.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
They're both assholes. She's embellishing looking for a payout and he's tapping the back of her chair like a toddler instead of using words like an adult. It was not punching hard or "HARD" and if you wanted anything done but to complain about it then you'd engage the company via DM.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think people reclining their seat are not using the recliner for its intended purpose? Because if not, your analogy is meaningless.

its courtesy to that stranger behind you. The comfort the recliner gets by reclining is disproportional to the discomfort it provides to that person behind you.
Your 5% of comfort provides them 20% more discomfort

Oct 30, 2017
I like to lean forward on my tray table and try to rest. If the person reclines back I can't do that. I never recline. People like to have devices on the tray table, watch the screen on the back of the seat, etc. I don't need to take more room at the expense of someone else. Especially someone who cannot recline.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Why the hell would we assume she is an asshole? All we know is that she reclined her chair and that he kept shaking her chair to intentionally bother her. Why in any way assume she is being an asshole? Do you just assume everybody who reclines is an asshole?
Don't recline in the second to last row because the people in the last row cannot recline to compensate. TBF to her, there does seem to be some room left, but it's still common courtesy. Idk be human beings and ask if it's ok.

Aurongel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some of the opinions in this thread reinforce exactly why airlines keep getting away with being incredibly shitty to their customers. Instead of blaming the airline for offering a feature some find objectionable, we instead criticize individuals for using a feature they paid money for. I think it's fair criticism towards an airline for offering this feature to begin with but faulting other paying customers is 100% barking up the wrong tree.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You honestly can't see why she wouldn't want to talk to him?

I can't see why the first instinct is to record it with her camera instead of doing something about it. If she's unwilling to talk to him, then talk to a flight attendant. That's literally their job. My point is, people can't properly communicate anymore. This is where we're at.

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
I can't imagine punching the seat infront of me because of them reclining but it is frustrating when people do it unless it's a red eye.

I feel like there is a lot of the "Fuck you, I got mine" mentality in this thread. Yeah you can recline the seat, but you are impacting the person behind you.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
Do you think people reclining their seat are not using the recliner for its intended purpose? Because if not, your analogy is meaningless.

Come on, just because a seat has the ability to recline doesn't mean it should be used at every available opportunity. My car seats recline but it doesn't mean I'm going to screw over my friends on a road trip because the seat has that option.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
So many people are saying this yet not understanding that paying for something and using it does NOT make you immune from being called an asshole and facing criticism.
That's alight. Better to use words, than actions and punch shit.

If I'm inconveniencing someone, and don't know it... I expect someone to let me know, and if I can adjust things I do. There's a way to do that.

Similar situation - on a plane, I don't pretty much ever recline... in full upright position, and the guy behind me is punching the back seat like nuts- every 3 or 4 secs. I let it go for a few min because I was hoping it would die down. It didn't, so I turned around and said "Hey man, when you hit the screen, I'm feeling that... is the screen broken?" I thought maybe the channels or the volume button were f'd up. And he laughed and apologized because he was playing Tic-Tac-Toe on the screen and he was getting into it. He said "oh, I'm sorry. I'll do it differently..." and he did and it all worked out.

There are ways to talk to people.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
If the seats recline, then I can't blame someone for reclining. However, if you don't pull your seat back up when food is served, you are a trash person and I hate everything you stand for.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
They're both assholes. She's embellishing looking for a payout and he's tapping the back of her chair like a toddler instead of using words like an adult. It was not punching hard or "HARD" and if you wanted anything done but to complain about it then you'd engage the company via DM.
He stopped punching when she started filming.

she needef spinal surgery because of his punches did i read that right?

No, just a pre-existing condition:

Williams responded that she had tried to reach out to the airline. "You clearly want me to do this quietly through a DM," she said. "I'm done being quiet! I've had extensive neck surgeries - my cervical spine is completely fused ... I've lost time at work, had to visit a doctor, got x-rays, and have (had) horrible headaches for a week," Williams wrote.

In a statement obtained by NBC News, American Airlines said a team was "looking into the issue."

"The safety and comfort of our customers and team members is our top priority," the statement said.

Oct 28, 2017
Don't recline in the second to last row because the people in the last row cannot recline to compensate. TBF to her, there does seem to be some room left, but it's still common courtesy. Idk be human beings and ask if it's ok.
Inductively that would mean nobody can recline because the person in third cant recline and so on.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I don't expect some one to not recline if the seats allow them to do so. If you want people not to recline, get mad at the airlines who provide seats that do so. Whether she should have reclined or not though this guy was definitely in the wrong and he should be arrested on assault charges. And that airline attendant at the very least written up for reprimanding the wrong person.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
What a jackass.. Sad that no one else told this guy to cut the crap before he gets his head knocked through the passenger window next to him.

fuck this guy.

edit: but really, FUCK YOU to all airlines based in the USA for making air travel so miserable and pitting us all against each other in this shitfest.

Jan 29, 2018
I once got off a plane and was accosted by a woman screaming at me and accusing me of attaching a device to her seat to prevent it from reclining. I had noticed her trying to recline during the flight but the seat didn't cooperate or something.

Anyway flying is miserable. Even when I do recline it's super uncomfortable, so I don't bother anymore. Upgrades are so expensive so as to not be at all realistic for most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.