• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is reclining your seat in economy class-knowing it causes discomfort to the person behind you- rude?

• Yes. It’s rude.

Votes: 261 63.7%
  • No, it’s not rude. Fuck their discomfort. I pAiD fOR tHiS fEaTUrE

Votes: 149 36.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
My heart sinks the second I see the seat in front recline and it's not something I'd ever do myself, you just have to accept it though

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His behavior is ridiculous, but reclining in economy is a dick move. Obviously he is more out of line but they really should remove the reclining feature from economy seats or increase the amount of leg room.

Oct 28, 2017
When you're intentionally discomforting another person, you're the one in the wrong.

There you go, I fixed your comment to more accurately represent what's being discussed here.
People that recline their seat tend to not do so with the intention to discomfort somebody. You don't see that?

i'm the last person to say i'm a decent person
interesting how that's the 1st thing that came to mind from my post though, i sense some projection
You prefacing you never recline reads pretty clearly as you stating your moral position on it.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I'll stay mad at both.

This is such a piss argument too. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

If it's a feature on the airplane for other passengers to use, then they can use it if they want to. Are you going to get mad at someone if they have their window shade up and you don't want it to be for some reason? Or would you just politely ask them to close it like a normal human being?

Good lord some of you. I can see if you're in the last row unable to recline, but I've yet to see anyone get upset by someone reclining.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Pro-recliners in this thread are conveniently side stepping the real issue here by harping on the guy going over the line, despite most of the anti-recliners here pointing out that the guy was over the line as well.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
People in this thread are equating someone reclining a seat they paid for to income inequality ("reclining a seat is fuck you, got mine") and sadism ("it's sadistic to recline a chair if there isn't enough room").

Go back to 4chan.

It's fucking wild.

I fly multiple times a year (to be fair, like every month to every other month) in economy. Reclining seats do not go down as much as some people think they do.

Now, granted, if someone is like 6'8" or have particularly long legs, then yeah it would be bad and I can understand not reclining because it would actually physically affect them. That being said, that's not anywhere close to being the norm. Those people are exceptions- the average American male isn't even 6'. lol

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I fully understand his reaction... anyone who reclines their seat on an airplane can go to hell. But I can't imagine having the audacity to do it.. it's really insane to say the least.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"I'm done being quiet! I've had extensive neck surgeries - my cervical spine is completely fused ... I've lost time at work, had to visit a doctor, got x-rays, and have (had) horrible headaches for a week," Williams wrote.

Lol what? Her spine was fused from this?

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you really do think his behaviour is a justified response? Jfc mate... what is up with some of you...

And I'm just over 6 foot, I don't care if someone in front of me reclines.
i don't know enough to say that it was or wasn't. from the video he looks pretty tall, i don't know what kind of damage was potentially done to his knees.

Feb 4, 2018
I play music out loud in public via my phone (old school boom box style), especially if I'm walking a far distance by myself. If I'm in a confined space where everyone is stationary (e.g., a restaurant, bus, or train car), I obviously turn my music off. But I don't really give a fuck about other people having to hear my music walking down the street given that at max volume it is no louder than having a conversation with someone you'd be walking with.

People have to use common sense when doing things and realize that there is a time and a place (i.e., context) for things...that things don't have to be measured in absolutes.

What happens if someone walking next to you plays their music a little bit louder because they can't hear it over yours?

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
The worst is when I ask for the bassinet seats since they have more legroom and parents sitting next to me have the gall to actually use the fucking bassinet for their crying infant. I don't need that noise next to me. Fuck!

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't know enough to say that it was or wasn't. from the video he looks pretty tall, i don't know what kind of damage was potentially done to his knees.

There's a reasonable response to any genuine and harmful discomfort (not just a minor inconvenience), and that is not what he did.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
Reclining is so anti-social, it actually infuriates me. Why do airlines allow you to gain comfort at the expense of others??? It's mind boggling. The guy is a hero and screw her.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
If it's a feature on the airplane for other passengers to use, then they can use it if they want to. Are you going to get mad at someone if they have their window shade up and you don't want it to be?

Good lord some of you. I can see if you're in the last row unable to recline, but I've yet to see anyone get upset by someone reclining.
The crux of this issue, ITT, tbf... is the dude hitting the chair in retaliation.
Pro-recliners in this thread are conveniently side stepping the real issue here by harping on the guy going over the line, despite most of the anti-recliners here pointing out that the guy was over the line as well.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
the problem is, that as long as airlines allow plane seats to recline it is reasonable to believe that people will recline their seats. There is no going over the line here except for the person angrily punching the chair in front of them. Again, any reasonable person would've had a conversation with the person in front of them. This would be different if the person had a conversation and was still refused and reclined on, but even then punching the seat is a disproportional escalation. Emotionally stable adults shouldn't be resorting to violence over a chair reclining in their face.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I fly pretty often and pretty extensively, and even on the dumpiest discount airlines I've never seen these torture seats you guys describe that clamp down on people's knees and press the back of the seat into your face. What I have seen countless of are drama queens who seem to revel in huffing and puffing about everything around them.

Grow up. No one likes flying, bring a nanny with you if you need someone to pamper you when traveling.

Feb 4, 2018

I'm not pre-recliner. I'm pro-"if someone is causing you discomfort, have a reasonable conversation about the issue instead of getting physical with them."

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Lmao. Dude is smacking the back of her chair repeatedly and being physically aggressive toward her but people are like "nah, fuck her too" because she didn't want to directly engage with that?

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a reasonable response to any genuine and harmful discomfort (not just a minor inconvenience), and that is not what he did.
we don't know what kind of and/or level of pain he was in at the time. how can we be so sure that he was in the mental state to give a reasonable response?

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
What's weird is that I actually find the reclined position more uncomfortable than upright. But you know, sometimes you just gotta stick it to the person sitting behind you, so away I go.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly worse than recliners are people who hog the arm rests, give problems for needing to use the washroom at a reasonable frequency, etc. For the most part I can deal with reclining seats by stretching out my legs under the seat in front of me but that also depends on if you have that space available and your body proportions. I'm 6'1" and fairly evenly proportioned between legs and torso, but leggier people might have a problem.

I don't recline because flying economy sucks and we might as well all suffer together an equal amount in that aspect. But the feature is on offer so I don't really begrudge you for using it.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I woulda asked for them not to recline. Yeah, the airliners give you the option to but in economy it's some mega ass. I'm tall and economy seats are bad enough without people digging their seat even more into my knees.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
People in this thread are equating someone reclining a seat they paid for to income inequality ("reclining a seat is fuck you, got mine") and sadism ("it's sadistic to recline a chair if there isn't enough room").

Go back to 4chan.

If you recline your seat without taking stock of anyone or anything around you, it's like manspreading, putting your bag on a seat, or sticking your legs out on a crowded subway. Yes, you technically can do this since you paid for space like everyone else and you were there first. Sure, it is strongly suggested that it might not be polite to do these things, but there are no official rules that state you have to be polite.

If you continue to recline your seat after either noticing or being informed of the pain/discomfort it is directly causing to the party behind you, it suggests a lack of empathy. It would be like stepping on someone's foot on the hypothetical crowded subway train, then refusing to move your foot for the duration of the ride because it is more comfortable for you to remain as is. No one is going to die or lose a limb from that foot mash for 20 min, but you're still an asshole for not moving.

Feb 4, 2018
User Banned (1 week): Trolling over a series of posts
This thread is making me sad they already discovered a coronavirus vaccine lmao

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"You clearly want me to do this quietly through a DM," she said. "I'm done being quiet! I've had extensive neck surgeries - my cervical spine is completely fused ... I've lost time at work, had to visit a doctor, got x-rays, and have (had) horrible headaches for a week," Williams wrote.

I don't know, i feel there's more to this story.
Those are.. insane claims.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
If you're not trolling there's something very wrong with your thought process here...

Not trolling, why allow one passenger to greatly inconvenience another? Especially in shitty airlines where a fully reclined seat actually puts pressure on your knees. I'm not extremely tall and I had flights where I was in pain and discomfort just because the asshole in front of me thought they should have a bit more comfort. I never do it because I'm not a selfish person. To me it's equivalent to one passenger stealing the food of another.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
I'm 6'2" and if someone reclines on an airplane it crushes my legs lol, I personally think it's wrong to recline on airplanes but you also can't have tantrums like this.

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To those saying the seats recline so it is acceptable. Is smoking acceptable in the seats with ashtrays still? Some of these features are made for a bygone era.

Status
Not open for further replies.