• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

The FAA

@FAANews

#FAA statement on the temporary grounding of @Boeing 737 MAX aircraft operated by U.S. airlines or in a U.S. territory.

3:09 PM - Mar 13, 2019 · Washington, DC

d1j5yubxqaatwlk9bj6d.jpg

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Good, this shit has to be sorted out. With reports that pilots have noticed the plan tilting during take off, I'm surprised this hasn't been fixed yet.

So you've made up a random reason for why these issues are happening, and your getting sick over it?
Well we already know that the attempt to attach a massive engine on a 50 year old platform caused issues with flight characteristics and increased chances of stalling causing changes to engine placement and other modifications. This is basically known with this design. This is in part why MCAS was developed.

So yeah, at some level, the decision was made to further modify the 737 rather than go through the much more expensive process of developing a new platform.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am admittedly new to this but how come Concorde was shut down after 1 crash after they were considered the safest in air travel history?

Boeing meanwhile has had numerous crashes but yet continue to operate with impunity.

If I were to speculate, likely has to do with it being an American company?

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you know for sure the cause of the Lion Air crash was the same as the last crash?

True. However would that stop it from being deployed in non FAA regulated markets?

Most regulatory authorities throughout the world have reciprocity in some form - EASA takes certifications from the FAA and vice versa. But their procedures are not the same so it would take way longer than 5 weeks to recreate all their procedures to get approval with EASA first instead of the FAA.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I am admittedly new to this but how come Concorde was shut down after 1 crash after they were considered the safest in air travel history?

Boeing meanwhile has had numerous crashes but yet continue to operate with impunity.

Concorde apparently was already a money loser and had no real sustainable market. That crash simply made the decision easy to end the program. 737 is one of the most widespread platforms in existence and normally is a good investment and very safe/reliable.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

Concorde was barely profitable before the crash, it wasn't worth keeping it around.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
So you know for sure the cause of the Lion Air crash was the same as the last crash?

True. However would that stop it from being deployed in non FAA regulated markets?

Everyone goes off of the FAA's lead when it comes to certification issues - FAA does it first and then EASA / JCAB / TC everyone else follows suit. Note, if an airline flies into America at all, it falls under FAA regulated. With Boeing being based in the US, they need the FAA's OK before they can roll it out and have any authority behind it.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017

Thank you for that link.

Everyone goes off of the FAA's lead when it comes to certification issues - FAA does it first and then EASA / JCAB / TC everyone else follows suit. Note, if an airline flies into America at all, it falls under FAA regulated. With Boeing being based in the US, they need the FAA's OK before they can roll it out and have any authority behind it.

its interesting that in this case, almost the entire world didnt and the FAA was the last to ground the MAX..

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Economics killed the Concorde long before the crash

The crash just ended up being the final straw

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
So is it a fair assertion to presume Boeing knew about this "issue" and never bothered to think about the implications for the passengers? Did they issue a warning at all?

Is it fair to want to know about this as a consumer? Or are all idiotic pions who do not know any better than a corporation, so we should just shut up and know our place?

jumpsnax

Alt account
Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Great decision by Trump, he did a good job this time.

When it comes to american's safety, you can always count on Trump.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Concorde was barely profitable before the crash, it wasn't worth keeping it around.
Ah makes sense but couldn't they have been bailed out? They could've come up with a better business model no?

I mean it's not like they had a short history. Plus aren't they now more or less Airbus now?

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He did it through emergency powers, was that a bit of a dry-run? Given that the UK and Canada (albeit only hours earlier, so likely not having any impact) grounded flights, the US was probably going to follow suit anyway.

Does anyone know if there was another mechanism through which the US could have done this, or is an emergency declaration pretty standard?

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Great decision by Trump, he did a good job this time.

When it comes to american's safety, you can always count on Trump.

I know you're a troll, but just in case:

Aviation Professionals Warn of Dire Risk Amid Shutdown

New York Times said:
The unions that represent the nation's air traffic controllers, pilots and flight attendants issued a dire warning on Wednesday, calling the government shutdown an "unprecedented" and "unconscionable" safety threat that is growing by the day and must end.

In a joint statement, the heads of the unions, which represent more than 130,000 aviation professionals, said that on Day 33 of the shutdown, major airports were already seeing security checkpoints close, and more closings could follow; safety inspectors were not back on the job at pre-shutdown levels; and analysts' ability to process safety reporting data and take critical corrective action had been weakened.

"We have a growing concern for the safety and security of our members, our airlines and the traveling public due to the government shutdown," the joint statement said. "In our risk averse industry, we cannot even calculate the level of risk currently at play, nor predict the point at which the entire system will break."

The admonition came as the partial shutdown continued to put extraordinary pressure on the nation's air-travel system. Already, as many as one of every 10 transportation security officers is not showing up for work and reserve workers are being flown in to bolster depleted ranks at some airports — a point the union presidents raised in their statement.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
He did it through emergency powers, was that a bit of a dry-run? Given that the UK and Canada (albeit only hours earlier, so likely not having any impact) grounded flights, the US was probably going to follow suit anyway.

Does anyone know if there was another mechanism through which the US could have done this, or is an emergency declaration pretty standard?
I think the FAA can take action. They've apparently been silent so far. Which is unacceptable.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/03/world/asia/lion-air-plane-crash-pilots.html

the tragedy has become a focus of intense interest and debate in aviation circles because of another factor: the determination by Boeing and the F.A.A. that pilots did not need to be informed about a change introduced to the 737's flight control system

That judgment by Boeing and its regulator was at least in part a result of the company's drive to minimize the costs of pilot retraining.

whether Boeing played down or overlooked, largely for cost and competitive reasons, the potential dangers of keeping pilots uninformed about changes to a critical element of the plane's software.

300+ lives and 350+ grounded planes later, I wonder if it was worth it

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The FAA responded with a continued airworthiness bulletin almost immediately. This stated the planes were considered safe at that point, highlighted the on-going efforts mandated by the emergency AD some months ago and said they'd be constantly evaluating the safety status as data was received.

Oct 25, 2017

While others have answered regarding the business model (i.e. it wasn't worth the high cost and specialized maintenance just so a few ultra-rich people could use it as a status symbol,) the safety record was bolstered by the fact that there were so few Concordes flying. It's all due to the law of small numbers, but that single crash changed the Concorde from the safest plane to the most dangerous.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The head of the FAA is a corporate stooge and former airline industry lobbylist. (The Canadian Minister of Transport, on the other hand, is a former astronaut.)

To be clear they've both made the same decisions based on the same data. Initially airworthiness was reiterated by both and now, after additional info, the planes have been grounded.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
So whats up with automatic flight no longer disengaging with pilot input

It seems like newer planes are all about multistep management and can no longer just grab the control column to attempt a recovery

When did this philosophy shift?

Jan 10, 2018
There are 2 safety philisophies at play here, ground them till we figured out what is going on and lets take a gamble with human lifes till we have more info, sonething Kharvey so eloquently represents.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are 2 safety philisophies at play here, ground them till we figured out what is going on and lets take a gamble with human lifes till we have more info, sonething Kharvey so eloquently represents.

The "only ground if we have specific technical information the plane is unsafe" has been the regulatory philosophy since the beginning.

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
So whats up with automatic flight no longer disengaging with pilot input

It seems like newer planes are all about multistep management and can no longer just grab the control column to attempt a recovery

When did this philosophy shift?

The new cockpits are about fault tolerance. The cockpit is designed to correct pilot errors and adjust for it giving pilots a chance to correct their mistakes. In this case however it is the system itself with the error and pilot needing to adjust which is not what pilots are accustomed to in a NORMAL flight

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The new cockpits are about fault tolerance. The cockpit is designed to correct pilot errors and adjust for it. In this case however it is the system itself with the error and pilot needing to adjust which is not what pilots are accustomed to in a NORMAL flight

Faulty equipment regularly requires pilot intervention to correct and work around. They have all those memory items and check lists for a reason.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
LMAO. Don't forget that Insomniac developer.

new data coming in is of interest. We'll see what happened in Ethiopia and what caused the change of heart here. I sort of think Boeing wants to ground them now so it can return them to service as "safe" (even though Boeing continues to say and believe the aircraft is airworthy). Probably the best way to restore faith in the aircraft given the media hysteria.

You're talking about an aircraft though that Southwest has had 41k flights on, United and American have a ton of hours on it too. Those pilot unions were supporting keeping the 737 MAX in operation. If the pilot unions were throwing a fit, I'd be raising an eyebrow. We'll see if there's a systemic issue. I still highly doubt it.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for that link.

its interesting that in this case, almost the entire world didnt and the FAA was the last to ground the MAX..

Not entirely surprising, since the FAA is a) catching up on being behind due to the shutdown and b) they are the authoritative source for this stuff. They know that if they ground it, everyone else is immediately grounding the plane. So they have to make sure they have some kind of hard evidence the two flights may have suffered the same issue.

Couldn't they have worked with EASA? I mean, if Boeing really took the plane crash seriously they would've.

Is that not a fair criticism?

Sadly, even with the shutdown, I think the FAA would finish cert faster than trying to run it through EASA. On top of it, airlines would complain bitterly that they were being put at a disadvantage against airlines that didn't have to do the software change because they aren't under EASA jurisdiction, iirc.

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Faulty equipment regularly requires pilot intervention to correct and work around. They have all those memory items and check lists for a reason.

Yes but what this is about is a system which does not tell the pilot it made a change because it thought pilot made an error thus pilot only needing manual input if he notices instrumentation readings changing

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes but what this is about is a system which does not tell the pilot it made a change because it thought pilot made an error thus pilot only needing manual input if he notices instrumentation readings changing

No the pilot only has to intervene if something fails and causes the system to trim erroneously. If there is no part failure MCAS has no impact on Lion Air.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
new data coming in is of interest. We'll see what happened in Ethiopia and what caused the change of heart here. I sort of think Boeing wants to ground them now so it can return them to service as "safe" (even though Boeing continues to say and believe the aircraft is airworthy). Probably the best way to restore faith in the aircraft given the media hysteria.

You're talking about an aircraft though that Southwest has had 41k flights on, United and American have a ton of hours on. Those pilot unions were supporting keeping the 737 MAX in operation. If the pilot unions were throwing a fit, I'd be raising an eyebrow. We'll see if there's a systemic issue. I still highly doubt it.
I don't even disagree with the stances you two took. Just the "matter of fact" vibes that left a cold impression. Ultimately, we're all mostly speaking and making assertions with unverified and unqualifed facts. But can you really blame anyone? Two brand new planes falling out of the sky isn't normal. Calling it "Hysteria" is hyperbole. People are dead. This isn't exactly manufactured outrage. We all fly all the time. Hell I just picked up my father from the airport this morning.

Airlines have a damn good track record overall and we are all grateful and automation has vastly increased aviation security. But its a logical fallacy to rely on past records as indicators of future development.

Last edited:

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
One side here is willing to risk human lives for the good of a company, the other side isn't. It's pretty clear.