AirPods Pro releasing Wednesday 10/30 for $250

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
My left airpod pro died suddenly. Went to the Apple store and the genius bar employee did some tests and gave me a new one. The thing that caught my attention was that there were 3 other people at the genius bar with basically the same issue, all were their with their Airpod Pros to replace one of the sides. I asked the person who was helping me, and he showed me on his ipad how they had a total of 2 left ones and 5 right ones left in total. Just made me wonder how common the problem is. Good thing I have applecare on mine. Im not complaining, and I understand how defects happen and this thing has so much tech crammed into such a tiny size, just an observation. Curious to see how it holds up in the next two years.
My right airpod pro didn't die, but started emitting a static on movement that was bad enough to replace it entirely. 20 minute check, gave me a new one out of the replacement stock, which also came with a new set of eartips. They also let me keep the one from the old airpod, so...replacement + new set. Pretty good.

Left one has never shown any signs of failing for me.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna have a ton of uninformed trolls in here saying it’s too expensive when it’s really not a bad price considering the wireless case and ANC. Going to buy from Costco so the “bad battery in 2 years” isn’t a concern at all.
Will Costco take them back after that long? I thought the return policy was 90 days on electronics.

egg1111115

Nov 12, 2017
NJ
Someone on Macrumors found out that the vents on the buds can actually collect some blockage, causing the fit test to fail. They started that “sucking” in on the vent helps clear that blockage(yes gross af), and will get you green across the board. I didn’t believe anyone that said that it fixed the test for them, until one day I couldn’t get the test to go green on my left pod...let’s just say I’m green again 😂 👀
I did try this after seeing this mentioned here and that thread haha. But I was a bit shy with it and didn’t “suck” too hard since it felt gross to suck on things that were just in my ears. It didn’t seem to have any immediate effect though, that was 2 days ago when I sucked and the test didn’t pass until yesterday.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Have you had any practical experience getting an Apple device exchanged (ie for battery) after the initial 1 year warranty in the EU? Legitimately curious.
Yes, I had my 10.5-inch iPad Pro die on me completely after 1,5 years and got a replacement (a non-refurbished replacement, at that).

Notable in this is that under these laws it's not the producer, but the shop that sold you the device is responsible for this warranty. In this case I purchased directly from Apple, of course.

ElBoxyBrown

Oct 25, 2017
My buds are working and charging fine, but I keep getting this UI bug:

Anyone else have this problem? When was the last time Apple put out an update?

Oct 25, 2017
I did try this after seeing this mentioned here and that thread haha. But I was a bit shy with it and didn’t “suck” too hard since it felt gross to suck on things that were just in my ears. It didn’t seem to have any immediate effect though, that was 2 days ago when I sucked and the test didn’t pass until yesterday.
Sucking on the vents didn’t clear the issue for me, and trust me, I can suck pretty hard.

I actually also now hear a whistling sound in the left bud as the vents decompress on insertion, so I definitely think there’s something in there.

ElBoxyBrown

Oct 25, 2017
After saying how much my pros has been working fine for weeks they're now showing signs of defections. They now fail to pass the ear test no matter which size I use and they sound worse compared to the demo pros at the Apple store. Well, good thing I bought AppleCare so I'll just get them replaced.

egg1111115

Nov 12, 2017
NJ
I wonder if these issues are widespread enough (if I include the Macrumors thread on sucking/using Blue tack to fix the problems) for Apple to actually address them. I don't think I have *that* much of a problem aside from the right AirPod failing the test, but I can't remember how these sounded/felt to being with so maybe the slight extra pressure issues I was talking about before are how they always were...

ElBoxyBrown

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if these issues are widespread enough (if I include the Macrumors thread on sucking/using Blue tack to fix the problems) for Apple to actually address them. I don't think I have *that* much of a problem aside from the right AirPod failing the test, but I can't remember how these sounded/felt to being with so maybe the slight extra pressure issues I was talking about before are how they always were...
The only time Apple addressed Pro problems was when they removed an update that made ANC worse. Other than that they've been pretty silent which makes it hard to tell how big these problems are.

egg1111115

Nov 12, 2017
NJ
The only time Apple addressed Pro problems was when they removed an update that made ANC worse. Other than that they've been pretty silent which makes it hard to tell how big these problems are.
True :/ It's not so bad for me though... I'm willing to wait until the next firmware update, or even as late as WWDC or whenever the next Apple conference is to try to do anything about this (buying tack or trying to get a replacement) . But it's still a bit disappointing. I guess it's what you get for shoving so much tech into a small device.