• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
How do you update the firmware?
To update the firmware, put them in the case, and start charging them, then leave the phone nearby. After 20 minutes or so, the new firmware should be installed onto them.
You can check the firmware in the About page of the Global settings on the iPhone. It should be 2B576 before the update, and 2B584 when it's updated.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
To update the firmware, put them in the case, and start charging them, then leave the phone nearby. After 20 minutes or so, the new firmware should be installed onto them.
You can check the firmware in the About page of the Global settings on the iPhone. It should be 2B576 before the update, and 2B584 when it's updated.
Oh mines is on 84. was hoping there was a new version

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Oh mines is on 84. was hoping there was a new version
Yeah, there's definitely something going on with these Airpods, the red exclamation mark thing is affecting seemingly every single unit. The charging problem like you've experienced is apparently affecting a lot of users before the firmware is updated (I was affected by it too), but the firmware update is supposed to fix it.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm extremely careful with my airpod case. I've never dropped it or put it in a pocket with keys/coins..but its still picked up lots of little scratches. I think I might try one of the dbrand skins.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, my original AirPod case got messed up from being thrown in my pants/bag on a daily basis. Getting AC+ seems like the better route though. I have never purchased Apple Care before...it is something I should probably start doing.

'for the pros I bought AC for the battery service after 2 years more than the damage protection (although that's a bonus). Either I want to keep them, in which case a fresh battery will keep them....fresh. Or I'll sell them in which case AC will be transferable giving the new owner confidence about battery life

Mar 3, 2018
Got mine today at the Apple store.

Very happy with the purchase. They fit really well, super comfortable and the noise cancelation is amazing. The $370 price tag as a Canadian stings, but I know I'll have them for a few years, so not a bad long term investment.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
'for the pros I bought AC for the battery service after 2 years more than the damage protection (although that's a bonus). Either I want to keep them, in which case a fresh battery will keep them....fresh. Or I'll sell them in which case AC will be transferable giving the new owner confidence about battery life
I'm still on the fence about AC for these. The battery thing only applies if it's under 80%, not sure if I'll get there in 2 years. The new battery cell change might be better at holding up.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
so after using them for about 5-6 hours today. I never thought i would say this, but this was a good investment. i just replaced the silicon size to the largest size and now its perfect

Binge bought a pair today as they happened to be in-stock while I was at the Apple Store (Valley Fair Mall in Santa Clara).

I tried the demo first (they paired instantly with my phone, unlike the poor guy next to me who technically was before me in line...) and played around with the different modes. Was pretty much sold after playing around with the demo, as everything worked as it should.

I'll still be using my regular Airpods but the Pros will probably be my daily driver from now on.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like Apple just restocked them in a bunch of their stores. They are back in stock in Toronto. Yesterday it was saying sold out until December 4th. They sre probably going to sell out again over the weekend with the holidays so close and how popular they have been so far. Gonna go and grab a pair today.
I got them in Toronto when they restocked on Thursday afternoon. That expected date is always way too far ahead.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still on the fence about AC for these. The battery thing only applies if it's under 80%, not sure if I'll get there in 2 years. The new battery cell change might be better at holding up.

that's win-winsurely? Lower than 80% might be likely if you use them A lot and gives you peace of mind for $30. Higher than 80% and your battery should be good for another year or two

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Now, I'm not speaking from experience when it comes to AirPods – I don't think anyone can, given that the plan is pretty new – but I exchanged my Apple Watch without any issues citing low battery life before my coverage expired. I doubt it was below 80%, given that I didn't run it down every day but had like 30-50% left.

E: Does anyone else have massive connectivity issues on Mac mini 2018? They drop out regularly and they have disconnected twice now within 30min. Always have to put them in the case and take them out again, otherwise they won't reconnect. I feel like the BT connection of that thing is spotty in general since my trackpad/keyboard/mouse lag/freeze from time to time but this really takes the cake. Infuriating af.

E2: Did some googling and apparently the USB-A ports on the machine interfere with wireless signals when in use lmfao. Followed a recommendation and hooked up my USB-A-SSDs through an USB-C dongle and haven't had a single drop out so far with the AirPods. Great, so basically the machine has two semi-useless ports. Might as well have added two more USB-C ports, that way I could have simply hooked up the drives directly via USB-C.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018
I got them in Toronto when they restocked on Thursday afternoon. That expected date is always way too far ahead.

yeah I went to the store as soon a so saw that they had restocked.

regaridng the ear seal test;

does it fail for anyone else? I tried all three sizes and it keeps telling me to adjust it or try another one. I gave up and I'm using the medium now as they feel the best.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Had to go back to my regular air pods. I liked so much about the pros but after less then a week using them I was starting to get aches in my ears. Always happens with in ear or over hear stuff for me. Oh well, gave them to my brother.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Even with the poorer NC and general audio quality, and not having an iPhone atm (but this may change next year), I'm actually pretty on board buying these. Getting sick of wires, and I love the features this has. The vent to equalise pressure in your ear seems like a great idea, and the size of the case and ease of pairing across devices seems like a big win (I have an iPad and Apple TV 4K might be on the cards too).

Also I had a thought that the pressure based button is actually vastly superior to a touch interface which could get accidentally activated all the time (this would drive me mad). It's a shame sound quality isn't better considering what you're paying for these, but overall I'm sold (when I have the money to splash out)

egg1111115

Nov 12, 2017
CA
Still keep going back and forth between the medium and large tips (which both pass the seal test for me). Medium feels better but large sounds like the bass goes slightly deeper (but it might just be placebo). Anyone have a good seal test track where you can clearly tell if the seal isn't adequate?

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
I'm disappointed in the ANC, not that it's bad, but some people definitely oversold it and I expected better.

transparency is amazing though

egg1111115

Nov 12, 2017
CA
I'm disappointed in the ANC, not that it's bad, but some people definitely oversold it and I expected better.

transparency is amazing though

Really? I think the ANC is great -- as good if not better as some over-ears I've tried. I'm sitting in a coffee shop now listening to some music (at a reasonable volume) and I can barely hear anything.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I had to return mine, I seriously don't get why they used white. I clean my ears like a champion and yet there was still some wax showing on the silicon tips. Wish the space gray were available... I am going to end up keeping my Sony in-ear buds.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
that's win-winsurely? Lower than 80% might be likely if you use them A lot and gives you peace of mind for $30. Higher than 80% and your battery should be good for another year or two
Ya, that's true. The $30 price is pretty reasonable all things considered, although I'm very careful with my electronics so I usually don't get extended warranties. I gotta think Apple has reasonable certainty that most pairs won't go below 80% or they'd be taking a bath on people turning them in after 2 years for new ones.

At least I've got still got some time to decide to add the plan.
Now, I'm not speaking from experience when it comes to AirPods – I don't think anyone can, given that the plan is pretty new – but I exchanged my Apple Watch without any issues citing low battery life before my coverage expired. I doubt it was below 80%, given that I didn't run it down every day but had like 30-50% left.
Interesting, is there a way to show the battery health % on the Watch like you can with the phone? I also wonder if they're a bit more lenient on the Watch because afaik the battery can be replaced by itself without tossing the whole thing like they gotta do with AirPods.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Really? I think the ANC is great -- as good if not better as some over-ears I've tried. I'm sitting in a coffee shop now listening to some music (at a reasonable volume) and I can barely hear anything.
I've only had limited chances with them outside so far. I'm not saying it's bad, but it's not as good as I was expecting from comments. The ANC gets such mixed reviews with how good it is I'm curious as to if it's an ear fitment thing. They pass the seal test for me. I'll have to sit and swap out tips the entire time and see if there is a difference

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
ANC was doing almost nothing in the office, and on the train I could still clearly hear people talking in nearby seats, but engine/track noise was diminishe. But on a recent plane flight it was really effective at cutting engine noise. You need a good seal though. And being in-ear I could more easily try and sleep with my head against my coat/plane window - over ears would have been uncomfortable

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got mine today. ANC is definitely overhyped, but still alright.

Everything else about them is great though. And most importantly, for me, they fit unlike the OGs!

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Just got my pair. The noise cancellation is definitely not as good as my XM3 cans but that was to be expected, at least my ears wont sweat like crazy in them. They're mostly like AirPods turned up a notch which is great. They feel great in ear and sound a step better than the normal AirPods (I have both versions). I wish Apple gave us a little better control over the sound signature but otherwise theyre exactly what I wanted.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been spending a couple days with them and honestly, they're a good set of earbuds, I'm just not sure if they're $250 good. The ANC is decent but there's just something about the sound quality that leaves me wanting more. It's kinda hard keeping these atm especially when you can get the 1000xm3 (over the ear ones) for like 30 bucks more.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
ANC was doing almost nothing in the office, and on the train I could still clearly hear people talking in nearby seats, but engine/track noise was diminishe. But on a recent plane flight it was really effective at cutting engine noise. You need a good seal though. And being in-ear I could more easily try and sleep with my head against my coat/plane window - over ears would have been uncomfortable
Yup, used them on the flight last night. Does nothing to cancel voices but did a good job with the engine noise. Definitely good enough to stay as my plane buds because any lack of performance is far outweighed by not having something huge on my head

TheGrue

Oct 25, 2017
I ran 8 miles with them on Sunday and had to repeat them here or there. Definitely wasn't able to keep the noise canceling going for too long, but I'm a heavy sweater. I put the larger ear tips in so I'll see if that helps on my next run. I'm general, though, I'm pretty pleased with how they at least stayed in my ears. I normally run with Bragi Dash buds which were the first buds to ever stay in my ear. So far, those fit better.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
So I ended up getting these after returning my Echo Buds. So far I'm happy. MUCH more comfortable than the Buds. The middle size ear tips that come on them are the best fit for me and after a few minutes I forget I am wearing them at all. The small tips don't seal and the large ones put pressure on my ears.

The noise cancellation is much better than the noise reduction from the Echo Buds, and the transparency mode is waaaaayyyyyy better than passthrough on the the Buds.

Sound quality is a little lacking for $250 honestly, but as many other reviewers have pointed out, for day-to-day use, the convenience and features overcome the "meh" audio quality.

One issue I'm having is that I can't seem to successfully change the device name. When I paired them they were automatically named "[Name]'s AirPods Pro." When I go into the device settings to try to change it to something else, it looks like it works but then they always go back to the original name. Anyone else done this?