• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lima

Oct 26, 2017
One issue I'm having is that I can't seem to successfully change the device name. When I paired them they were automatically named "[Name]'s AirPods Pro." When I go into the device settings to try to change it to something else, it looks like it works but then they always go back to the original name. Anyone else done this?

I had the same issue. Just keep changing the name, after about twenty renames the name stuck for me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I had the same issue. Just keep changing the name, after about twenty renames the name stuck for me. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Just figured it out. If you want to just name them "AirPods Pro" you have to add a trailing space to the end of the name. Otherwise apparently the OS thinks that they are a default pair and need to be renamed automatically. If you add the trailing space it will "stick."

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
I've only had limited chances with them outside so far. I'm not saying it's bad, but it's not as good as I was expecting from comments. The ANC gets such mixed reviews with how good it is I'm curious as to if it's an ear fitment thing. They pass the seal test for me. I'll have to sit and swap out tips the entire time and see if there is a difference

I think a lot of it is simply individual hearing range differences. ANC is best at canceling out low frequencies, and not as good at canceling out high frequencies (it relies more on the seal to simply dull or block them), so if you've lost some upper hearing range it'll sound better to you. Ear fit would also come into play for this reason.

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got them from Amazon. And no, there's noticeable bass. It's just a dirtier, lower fidelity sound than say, my Galaxy Buds, or my $100 triple driver earbuds, or my $35 budget earbuds, and it punches a little too close to the decently valued $7 earbuds I can get at Dollar General. And they're $250.

I'm going to return them and try the similarly priced Sony ones. And then ask myself what the fuck I am doing and go back to the Galaxy buds.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually really surprised by how much I'm liking the audio quality on these. I'm far from an audiophile, in that I think my hearing probably ain't good enough to really drill down on the limitations of a given piece of audio hardware, but coming from a pair of Oppo PM-3 over-ear cans, and some high-end Shure IEMs before that, I was expecting to find the sound passable at best. But I think they actually sound pretty damn good, much more than just an ersatz substitute for my wired headphones when I'm on the move. I think it's the price that has people expecting something markedly better than what we got, which is fair. I'm instead attributing most of their expense to the gains in usability and portability (plus the requisite Apple Tax, of course).

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's the overall consensus on these? I'm thinking of getting an extra pair of Airpods.

Or are there cheaper wireless alternatives that are equal in quality?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
What's the overall consensus on these? I'm thinking of getting an extra pair of Airpods.

Really depends on what you are looking for. If you want the convenience of the Airpods but in a better package, get the pro. If you just want wireless earbuds that can play music then yes, you can find cheaper alternatives.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

variable reviews on sound quality - better than airpods but not as good as other wireless buds at a similar price.
Generally positive reviews on noise cancellation - some have the sony as better but pros still perform well (they don't filter voices very much, more lower frequencies)
Very positive reviews on quality of life (especially if you own ios devices) - connection speed, changing connections between devices, simplicity of use, compact size.

General view seems to be that - if you're an ios owner - the quality of life/convenience features are very strong, to the point where they can outweigh pure audio quality and other areas where they might be beaten by other options.

egg1111115

Nov 12, 2017
CA

There's absolutely no cheaper (or even more expensive) alternative that offers this level of noise canceling in this small a package. You can maybe get better NC or better sound quality, but the size and comfort combined with the ease of use with Apple devices mean I think it's worth the price to me.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
I've been falling more and more in love with these as time goes on. It's so amazing to have a pair of in-ear headphones that don't feel like they're jammed deep into your ears. It's equally amazing to have very good noise cancelling in such a small package that barely feels like it's there. The fact that Apple took an effective stab at solving the NC pressure problem that no one else seems to be looking to solve is worth merit.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
I have such a messed up ear I can't get these to stay in my right ear while doing any kind of activity.

the low level NC of these is really good. While it does absolutely nothing for voices or other noises like keyboard clicks, putting them in while walking in a city instantly turns traffic off.

I love the auto sensing in ear. Taking them out and having a movie or music auto pause and then auto start when I put them back in is something I didn't know I needed in my life

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Just got my pair

omg the case is way smaller than I expected

audio quality is good, noise cancellation is great.
bout to hit the gym, let's see how that goes.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
When you guys rave about the noise cancellation, are you using it without music? When I have music playing I honestly don't even notice the NC. I get the same amount of noise when I turn on transparency.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA

They're phenomenal, if you see my previous post in here the one thing I was skeptical about is that they are earbud headphones. That air vent does wonders and makes it feel like there's nothing on me... I was a skeptic and am now a believer. Do yourself a favor and buy them, the NC isn't as top notch as I was thinking but overall they're a great pair.

PS: Transparency mode is the devil

Oct 25, 2017
My pair arrived from Costco yesterday and I'm already in love. I switched to the smallest tips and the ANC is incredible. I was sitting on my couch, listening to music while I was writing, and apparently my dog was barking like crazy but I couldn't hear her at all.

I haven't tried working out/jogging with them in yet, and I've only been using them for a day, but this is one of the best purchases I've made. Sure beats the $25 cheapo bluetooth headphones I was using before these arrived.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Do the hold times in the accessibility settings change the required duration for anyone? I want to make the toggle time shorter but all three options end up taking about the same time (1s), roughly measured?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So here's the important question I should have asked about the new Airpods: are they ideal with the Apple TV?

As I mentioned, I was thinking of getting it just to have a second pair, so I don't have to keep pairing my current one between my iPhone and Apple TV. With that in mind, do they perfectly serve watching movies/etc with nice sound? Or is there a better (and maybe cheaper) kind of headphones that would be better suite for media watching?

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wondering if I should get rid of my Bose QC35 + original AirPods and just roll with the AirPod Pros. I have never found a pair of IEMs that were comfortable for longer than 30 mins though...

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Loving these
But haven't been able to link them to my MacBook.
is this a know issue?
Do I need to update my macos?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
So here's the important question I should have asked about the new Airpods: are they ideal with the Apple TV?

As I mentioned, I was thinking of getting it just to have a second pair, so I don't have to keep pairing my current one between my iPhone and Apple TV. With that in mind, do they perfectly serve watching movies/etc with nice sound? Or is there a better (and maybe cheaper) kind of headphones that would be better suite for media watching?
This depends on the headphone. I think they are perfect because of the fact that there's no delay with the H1 chip. Idk how others would perform

smuf

Oct 27, 2017

I use them daily with my Apple TV. I have headhones that sound better but these are more convenient, they sync instantly without having to dig into Bluetooth settings.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

I actually just watched Taxi Driver on Apple TV with these AirPods an it sounded great. I definitely wouldn't buy them to use as a secondary pair though, you want to use these all the time.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I got these as a birthday gift from my girlfriend. The noise cancelling effect is pretty good, reduces outside noise by about 85% or so. With music on and playing, outside noise is pretty much gone. The "pressure" I feel from other noise cancelling headsets is greatly reduced, so that's great for me. The transparency option is great if you're listening to these at work or somewhere where you'll need to be aware of your surroundings.

My biggest concern was the fit of the AirPods Pro, because my OG airpods always felt like they would fall out, and would occasionally fall out during a run or workout. Thankfully, these come with small, medium and large silicon tips. The "ear fit test" said that the medium were a good fit for me, but I thought it could fit better and a better seal. I popped off the mediums(beware, the tips are very hard to pop off and you need to use more force than I'm comfortable with for small delicate electronics) and swapped them out for the large tips. They fit very snug in my ears, and don't budge with running or working out or just being active in general.

My only real complaints with them so far are the new "button" on them to pause, rewind, fast-forward, etc is a little weird and unnatural to use, but I suppose it's more reliable than the tapping the entire AirPod in older models. Also, the sound quality is decent bump from the original models, but nothing mind blowing.

TheGrue

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone using these yet whist going for a run outdoors? Curious about how likely they are too fall out.
I've taken them on two 8 mile runs and for the most part, I've gotten them to stay in. It feels like when I first start out, they take some time to get settled and then they're fine. Not sure if it's the sweat that keeps them in place or just that I get into a groove on the run and there's let impact to jog them loose. I did the first run with the default tips and then on the second run I used the largest tips, but brought the other tips with me. Swapped out the left ear with the default tip (so default tip in left ear and large tip in right ear) and they actually stayed well. But, for both runs, I had a bud wiggle out near the beginning of my run, but then never again for the rest of the run.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
So I've had these since launch and used them in all different situations. When I'm enjoying coffee at the coffeeshop while doing an assignment, it is perfect, I can play a really quiet song and hear every minute detail while being in a busy Costa Coffee on a Friday evening. So ANC is pretty good in my opinion. The sound quality is also impressive. Everything is as I expected or better.

The only complaint I have with them is that they tend to hurt after 2 hours of use and they also fall out easier (not easy but easier) than the regular AirPods. Not huge problems but annoying, moving from the regular AirPods.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
So I've had these since launch and used them in all different situations. When I'm enjoying coffee at the coffeeshop while doing an assignment, it is perfect, I can play a really quiet song and hear every minute detail while being in a busy Costa Coffee on a Friday evening. So ANC is pretty good in my opinion. The sound quality is also impressive. Everything is as I expected or better.

The only complaint I have with them is that they tend to hurt after 2 hours of use and they also fall out easier (not easy but easier) than the regular AirPods. Not huge problems but annoying, moving from the regular AirPods.
Yeah agreed. Literally my only complaint with the Pros is that for some reason they just don't feel as secure in my ears. The seal is good, and I never feel like they're going to fall out, but something about them just feels different. I think it's because I'm one of the lucky ones where the original Airpods fit my ears perfectly, so I didn't really need the slight design changes here.

Overall though, these things are incredible.

egg1111115

Nov 12, 2017
CA

Why do you have to keep pairing them? From my understanding, you can just select them from the audio menu and it switches. (hold down the play button on any screen I think, or hold the tv button to bring up control center and click the airplay button)

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why do you have to keep pairing them? From my understanding, you can just select them from the audio menu and it switches. (hold down the play button on any screen I think, or hold the tv button to bring up control center and click the airplay button)

Didn't know I could do that. That takes a lot of the hassle away from pairing. And do they stay paired to the last thing they were paired with (my phone) afterwards?

egg1111115

Nov 12, 2017
CA
Didn't know I could do that. That takes a lot of the hassle away from pairing. And do they stay paired to the last thing they were paired with (my phone) afterwards?

I think so. These are my first AirPods, and I haven't tried it with my Mac since it's out for repair, but when I connect it to my work PC and then later take them out of the case when the PC is off, I think it should pair with the iPhone (though I can't 100% remember if this is what happens). If not, you can just tap the AirPlay button on the iPhone and then tap the airpods (which, unlike other bluetooth headphones I've used, will always appear in this menu even if they're connected to another device).

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, that's literally one of the bigger benefits of AirPods. When you pair them, you pair them with all your iCloud devices so to speak – you'll just have to select them in the AirPlay menu of the respective device. They will connect to the last device you used them with when you pop them out the case. I don't know however how it goes if you pair them with a non-Apple device intermittently; not sure if they lose the iCloud pairing or something.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I've taken them on two 8 mile runs and for the most part, I've gotten them to stay in. It feels like when I first start out, they take some time to get settled and then they're fine. Not sure if it's the sweat that keeps them in place or just that I get into a groove on the run and there's let impact to jog them loose. I did the first run with the default tips and then on the second run I used the largest tips, but brought the other tips with me. Swapped out the left ear with the default time (so default tip in left ear and large tip in right ear) and they actually stayed well. But, for both runs, I had a bud wiggle out near the beginning of my run, but then never again for the rest of the run.
Thanks. I think I'm going to stick to tethered buds or something like the Powerbeats Pro. I feel like they're gonna be bound to fall out for me.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Oh...I thought you were doing this already. The benefit with these AirPods is that they pair to your Apple ID basically. So any of your Apple devices can instantly use them just with a quick setting. They will stay paired to your phone as well. Im not sure how it decides what device to pair to first if you have multiple around but it's a really quick option to change it

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Yes, that's literally one of the bigger benefits of AirPods. When you pair them, you pair them with all your iCloud devices so to speak – you'll just have to select them in the AirPlay menu of the respective device. They will connect to the last device you used them with when you pop them out the case. I don't know however how it goes if you pair them with a non-Apple device intermittently; not sure if they lose the iCloud pairing or something.

That's my favorite thing, straight up. Being able to quickly switch from my iPhone on my train commute to my computer when I get into my office and vice versa is amazing.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, now that I'm aware of this, I pretty much have no reason to get the new Airpods now.

Might still be worth owning a second pair just so I can keep one in a bag or whatever, but that's not enough to justify a $250 purchase at the moment.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
I know foam tips are available on ebay (mine are coming soon) but are there any traditional tips available on ebay in different sizes than the standard apple ones? I'm equally interested in that.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Just tested a coworkers pros and they sounded great. Then I found out Apple got rid of the tap options and I lost all interest.
Those should've been kept it.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I know foam tips are available on ebay (mine are coming soon) but are there any traditional tips available on ebay in different sizes than the standard apple ones? I'm equally interested in that.
I just looked cause i would love foam tips, they look super cheap. I'll wait till amazon get some that can be reviewed.