• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else that had the bugged firmware (i.e. the one that was pulled) where the right earbud will initially report having a very low battery when taking them out of the case? I've had an issue where I have to put it back in, wait 10-15 seconds, then it updates to the battery percentage I'm expecting to see.

Likely going to bring them by my local Apple Store when I have the time to do so, but was curious if anyone else ran into this same problem.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
Did you have to demonstrate the issue? Assuming since I don't have Apple care, i won't get as smooth a swap?
Within the warranty so you should be okay. I did my swap and I have AppleCare but I wasn't charged a deductible or anything

I got mine on launch day with Apple Care (2 years). It was a straight swap.

They had me test it (different firmware), and it still had the same issue. They changed it, no questions asked.

Without it, I would have been charged about 9000 yen. So keep that in mind! I don't how long the warranty is if you don't Apple Care though...

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I get a strange screech when I tried to twist the AirPod in more.
Got both swapped regardless because "Hey Siri" (and only hey Siri) stopped working for me. If I activated Siri from my phone button, it would work, but hey Siri, or using the stem Siri didn't work

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone who uses these with a PC tell me if they work well or not? I have a pair of Jabra Elite's, and I can change the volume and pause/unpause videos with them. I can do the same with my TV as well. Can you do the same with Airpod Pro's? I'm worried that their stem buttons won't work the same.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Can anyone who uses these with a PC tell me if they work well or not? I have a pair of Jabra Elite's, and I can change the volume and pause/unpause videos with them. I can do the same with my TV as well. Can you do the same with Airpod Pro's? I'm worried that their stem buttons won't work the same.
There's no volume option on them

as far as pause they do pause on all devices I'vetried em

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I bought these. They are expensive but I did a lot of research and watched a ton of reviews and I was sold. They are just very versatile. I have them working with all my stuff and my wife in particular loves them. They are just for around the house though I don't walk around with them outside. This was my first time purchasing this type of product. As for the product review I think they are very cool tbh and sound great.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
So, I got some foam eartips from AliExpress, because my right ear started straight up ejecting out of my ear with the silicone eartips that came with it. I mean, I never passed the seal test on the right ear, no matter which tip I used, so I must have just a weird right ear. I don't know.

Either way, this is so much better. It's not memory foam, just regular foam, but it's so much more comfortable (even though I had no real complaints with the originals on that front), and it actually stays in my ear. So I can finally start using the Pro's again after a few months of just not wanting to use them (said ejecting happened within 10 to 15 minutes top to the point where I'd lose seal and all sound quality).

So, for you who have issues with that, try some foam tips for a few bucks over there.

Souzetsu

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
California
So, I got some foam eartips from AliExpress, because my right ear started straight up ejecting out of my ear with the silicone eartips that came with it. I mean, I never passed the seal test on the right ear, no matter which tip I used, so I must have just a weird right ear. I don't know.

Either way, this is so much better. It's not memory foam, just regular foam, but it's so much more comfortable (even though I had no real complaints with the originals on that front), and it actually stays in my ear. So I can finally start using the Pro's again after a few months of just not wanting to use them (said ejecting happened within 10 to 15 minutes top to the point where I'd lose seal and all sound quality).

So, for you who have issues with that, try some foam tips for a few bucks over there.
Do you have a link to the specific pair you bought? I'm interested in some foam ear tips.

egg1111115

Nov 12, 2017
CA
The fit test was working fine for months, then I just randomly tried it this morning and it fails on my right AirPod for all 3 ear tips, even though the sound and ANC seems to work the same as before. I noticed that even if I switch ears (as in , put the right AirPod in the left ear and vice versa...it doesn't feel or sound great when you do this haha), it surprisingly still passes on the left airpod and fails on the right, so it is not something to do with my ears. Any idea what the issue could be? The only thing I can think of is that either it is a software bug, or due to the fact that I dropped the case on the kitchen floor this morning and the airpods slid out when the case hit the floor...but I highly doubt that had any effect.

Oct 25, 2017
The fit test was working fine for months, then I just randomly tried it this morning and it fails on my right AirPod for all 3 ear tips, even though the sound and ANC seems to work the same as before. I noticed that even if I switch ears (as in , put the right AirPod in the left ear and vice versa...it doesn't feel or sound great when you do this haha), it surprisingly still passes on the left airpod and fails on the right, so it is not something to do with my ears. Any idea what the issue could be? The only thing I can think of is that either it is a software bug, or due to the fact that I dropped the case on the kitchen floor this morning and the airpods slid out when the case hit the floor...but I highly doubt that had any effect.
I have a somewhat similar issue, where I was getting a pass with all three sizes in both ears, and then suddenly it switched to not being able to get a pass with any size in either ear. I've tried my brother's pair and I can get a seal again, and I've even tried switching my tips onto his pods, to eliminate it somehow being specific to my tips. Was able to temporarily get a pass ONCE since, just for my left ear, and it didn't last long. Apple Support has suggested I bring them in to get them looked at, but yeah, not in any rush, as I think they still sound much the same.

egg1111115

Nov 12, 2017
CA
I have a somewhat similar issue, where I was getting a pass with all three sizes in both ears, and then suddenly it switched to not being able to get a pass with any size in either ear. I've tried my brother's pair and I can get a seal again, and I've even tried switching my tips onto his pods, to eliminate it somehow being specific to my tips. Was able to temporarily get a pass ONCE since, just for my left ear, and it didn't last long. Apple Support has suggested I bring them in to get them looked at, but yeah, not in any rush, as I think they still sound much the same.

Interesting. Glad (?) I'm not the only one with this issue...I thought it was maybe due to me dropping them this morning but it wasn't that big of an impact. I assume it's just a bug in the fit test and hopefully it'll be patched in the future.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody use these in the car to talk over their cars Bluetooth (one ear of course)? I've been having this issue where after the drive is over and my car is off, the airpod connection quality turns to shit. It skips and cuts out every few seconds. Has anybody had this happen?

Erebus

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Europe
Interesting. Glad (?) I'm not the only one with this issue...I thought it was maybe due to me dropping them this morning but it wasn't that big of an impact. I assume it's just a bug in the fit test and hopefully it'll be patched in the future.
I got the same issue yesterday. I have them for about a month now and I was always getting a good fit result.

I'm baffled on what to do. I see that there are numerous threads about the issue online. It does appear to occur after the first 3-4 weeks.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I got the same issue yesterday. I have them for about a month now and I was always getting a good fit result.

I'm baffled on what to do. I see that there are numerous threads about the issue online. It does appear to occur after the first 3-4 weeks.
My advise would be to not give a shit about the fit test.

Oct 27, 2017

There's definitely an issue with some of them. One of mine AirPods Pro was doing this and it could be temporarily resolved by sucking(!) on the vent areas, before recurring a week or so later. The ANC and Transparency also seemed a little bit off in my case, so I got a replacement for the faulty AirPod through AppleCare+ and, touch wood, all has been well since; the one I've had since launch continues to work without issue and the replacement has now gone a couple of weeks longer than the original without developing the same fault.

Erebus

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Europe
My advise would be to not give a shit about the fit test.
That's what I'm gonna do probably.
There's definitely an issue with some of them. One of mine AirPods Pro was doing this and it could be temporarily resolved by sucking(!) on the vent areas, before recurring a week or so later. The ANC and Transparency also seemed a little bit off in my case, so I got a replacement for the faulty AirPod through AppleCare+ and, touch wood, all has been well since; the one I've had since launch continues to work without issue and the replacement has now gone a couple of weeks longer than the original without developing the same fault.
I can't notice any differences on ANC/Transparency modes whatsoever, as a matter of fact if I hadn't run the fit test I wouldn't have known that something may be wrong with my set.

I'll try sucking on the vents as I read elsewhere that it works too. I don't wanna get into the hassle of replacing my Airpods (there isn't any Apple Store in my country so it's not as easy to replace them) only to get a new pair that does the same thing in a month.

I wish Apple did clarify why this is happening in the first place though and issue a mass replacement program if there is a hardware fault indeed.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
However, the Noise Cancellation feature, which you can toggle on/off can only be done on iOS. If you set it to off on iOS and then pair it with Android, you won't be able to turn it back on in Android.

Pretty sure you can trigger Noise Cancellation/Transparency by squeezing the stem of the earbud, unless that doesn't work when paired with Android.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
However, the Noise Cancellation feature, which you can toggle on/off can only be done on iOS. If you set it to off on iOS and then pair it with Android, you won't be able to turn it back on in Android.
Not true. You just squeeze & hold the Airpod and it works on Android.
What is auto noise cancelling
Blocks out all outside ambient noises. There's also a Transparency mode which allows you to hear everything as if you weren't wearing Airpods, and an Off mode which does nothing.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Two things that either are a universal problem or my pair are faulty: I periodically get the red exclamation and the stem squeezes are inconsistent. The red exclamation I don't fully understand, but looking it up online it's telling me my bud isn't charging right? But I see it charging in my battery widget so maybe it's a software bug? And the stem squeezes are weird. Sometimes it registers my squeezes and sometimes it just doesn't. It doesn't help that the clicking sound isn't loud enough. Other than that I really like them.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two things that either are a universal problem or my pair are faulty: I periodically get the red exclamation and the stem squeezes are inconsistent. The red exclamation I don't fully understand, but looking it up online it's telling me my bud isn't charging right? But I see it charging in my battery widget so maybe it's a software bug? And the stem squeezes are weird. Sometimes it registers my squeezes and sometimes it just doesn't. It doesn't help that the clicking sound isn't loud enough. Other than that I really like them.
I've never seen a red exclamation on mine. And the stem squeezes took a little getting used to at first but now they work very consistently for me.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed something weird happening in my right Airpod Pro when NC is on. Once in a while i'll hear a suuuuper low...almost like a rattle or a hum. It's really hard to explain. It's kind of like the sensation of how your ears feel when going over those ribbed shoulders on some highways, where the road is indented every few inches to let you know you're too close to the edge. It's not terribly annoying, but it is there, and I'm kind of waiting for it to get worse to burn one of my two AppleCare returns on it.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Excelsior

Oct 28, 2017
have any of you tried these with an Android phone? how are they?

also, for people with issues, how hard was the process for getting them fixed/replaced?

egg1111115

Nov 12, 2017
CA

After I made this post I felt like I did notice a change in pressure on the right pod vs the left (as in the pressure-relieving vents weren't working properly? Like my ear felt more clogged) but I couldn't tell whether it was placebo or due to me trying to get the fit test to work... It also felt like I could "hear" my steps more clearly than before...so I brought it into the apple store and compared it to a fresh pair they let me demo and it seemed like there was definitely a problem specifically with my pair. (However I later realized they might have been the small tips when I used medium so it could have been due to them not fitting as well). Luckily I was able to get a genius appointment immediately and they ran some diagnostics which revealed no issue...but the Genius went and thoroughly cleaned both pods/tips in case there was some residue in one of the ports. The test still failed but the pressure felt more equivalent across buds? Maybe? They suggested maybe buying a replacement tip in case the cleaning didn't get all the wax out of the tip.

I'm still not sure to this day if there's actually an issue or if I'm just noticing things due to the fit test not working properly. I'm still assuming it's just a bug that'll be fixed in software updates...at least I hope. If not I'll probably be going in again before the warranty expires (no AppleCare unfortunately).

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
So that vent that lets these things relieve pressure is a game changer. I can't stand in-ear ear buds but these are great as far as comfort goes.

Oct 27, 2017
After I made this post I felt like I did notice a change in pressure on the right pod vs the left (as in the pressure-relieving vents weren't working properly? Like my ear felt more clogged) but I couldn't tell whether it was placebo or due to me trying to get the fit test to work... It also felt like I could "hear" my steps more clearly than before...so I brought it into the apple store and compared it to a fresh pair they let me demo and it seemed like there was definitely a problem specifically with my pair. (However I later realized they might have been the small tips when I used medium so it could have been due to them not fitting as well). Luckily I was able to get a genius appointment immediately and they ran some diagnostics which revealed no issue...but the Genius went and thoroughly cleaned both pods/tips in case there was some residue in one of the ports. The test still failed but the pressure felt more equivalent across buds? Maybe? They suggested maybe buying a replacement tip in case the cleaning didn't get all the wax out of the tip.

I'm still not sure to this day if there's actually an issue or if I'm just noticing things due to the fit test not working properly. I'm still assuming it's just a bug that'll be fixed in software updates...at least I hope. If not I'll probably be going in again before the warranty expires (no AppleCare unfortunately).

The thing that led me to take the fit test again in the first place was that I would sometimes get what sounds like a similar blocked feeling in that ear. Not constant, but jarring when it happened.

I would usually assume a software bug and, for the additional physical stuff, a placebo too, but the fact that only one AirPod failed and that sucking hard on the vent immediately stopped the problems and caused it to pass the fit test suggested otherwise. As far as I'm aware, suction from the human mouth isn't commonly used for debugging so when the issue recurred, that's when I went for replacement.

Last edited:

egg1111115

Nov 12, 2017
CA
The thing that led me to take the fit test again in the first place was that I would sometimes get what sounds like a similar blocked feeling in that ear. Not constant, but jarring when it happened.

I would usually assume a software bug and, for the additional physical stuff, a placebo too, but the fact that only one AirPod failed and that sucking Hard on the vent immediately stopped the problems and caused it to pass the fit test suggested otherwise. As far as I'm aware, suction from the human mouth isn't commonly used for debugging so when the issue recurred, that's when I went for replacement.

...care to elaborate how you "sucked" on the vent? 😅

egg1111115

Nov 12, 2017
CA
So...my fit test is working on my right ear now? I think it had something to do with the angle of the AirPods since it doesn't work 100% of the time with the right bud but I'm not sure.

Mar 3, 2018
My left airpod pro died suddenly. Went to the Apple store and the genius bar employee did some tests and gave me a new one. The thing that caught my attention was that there were 3 other people at the genius bar with basically the same issue, all were their with their Airpod Pros to replace one of the sides. I asked the person who was helping me, and he showed me on his ipad how they had a total of 2 left ones and 5 right ones left in total. Just made me wonder how common the problem is. Good thing I have applecare on mine. Im not complaining, and I understand how defects happen and this thing has so much tech crammed into such a tiny size, just an observation. Curious to see how it holds up in the next two years.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
So...my fit test is working on my right ear now? I think it had something to do with the angle of the AirPods since it doesn't work 100% of the time with the right bud but I'm not sure.
Someone on Macrumors found out that the vents on the buds can actually collect some blockage, causing the fit test to fail. They started that "sucking" in on the vent helps clear that blockage(yes gross af), and will get you green across the board. I didn't believe anyone that said that it fixed the test for them, until one day I couldn't get the test to go green on my left pod...let's just say I'm green again 😂 👀

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for noise cancelling ear phones, work is covering $250 worth.

Are these the best option, or should I go for the Bose Quietcomfort 20? Any other better options?

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Looking for noise cancelling ear phones, work is covering $250 worth.

Are these the best option, or should I go for the Bose Quietcomfort 20? Any other better options?
It depends. These are good, but the Bose set are great, Sony has a fantastic set, and so does Sennheiser (PXC 550 II).

I use these when I'm running around doing errands or working out. I use my Sennheiser PXC IIs while I'm at work.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
It depends. These are good, but the Bose set are great, Sony has a fantastic set, and so does Sennheiser (PXC 550 II).

I use these when I'm running around doing errands or working out. I use my Sennheiser PXC IIs while I'm at work.
Im looking only for earbuds, not headphones. Seems Bose and Apple are the best options in that case