• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
My left airpod pro died suddenly. Went to the Apple store and the genius bar employee did some tests and gave me a new one. The thing that caught my attention was that there were 3 other people at the genius bar with basically the same issue, all were their with their Airpod Pros to replace one of the sides. I asked the person who was helping me, and he showed me on his ipad how they had a total of 2 left ones and 5 right ones left in total. Just made me wonder how common the problem is. Good thing I have applecare on mine. Im not complaining, and I understand how defects happen and this thing has so much tech crammed into such a tiny size, just an observation. Curious to see how it holds up in the next two years.

My right airpod pro didn't die, but started emitting a static on movement that was bad enough to replace it entirely. 20 minute check, gave me a new one out of the replacement stock, which also came with a new set of eartips. They also let me keep the one from the old airpod, so...replacement + new set. Pretty good.

Left one has never shown any signs of failing for me.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna have a ton of uninformed trolls in here saying it's too expensive when it's really not a bad price considering the wireless case and ANC. Going to buy from Costco so the "bad battery in 2 years" isn't a concern at all.
Will Costco take them back after that long? I thought the return policy was 90 days on electronics.

egg1111115

Nov 12, 2017
CA
Someone on Macrumors found out that the vents on the buds can actually collect some blockage, causing the fit test to fail. They started that "sucking" in on the vent helps clear that blockage(yes gross af), and will get you green across the board. I didn't believe anyone that said that it fixed the test for them, until one day I couldn't get the test to go green on my left pod...let's just say I'm green again 😂 👀

I did try this after seeing this mentioned here and that thread haha. But I was a bit shy with it and didn't "suck" too hard since it felt gross to suck on things that were just in my ears. It didn't seem to have any immediate effect though, that was 2 days ago when I sucked and the test didn't pass until yesterday.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Have you had any practical experience getting an Apple device exchanged (ie for battery) after the initial 1 year warranty in the EU? Legitimately curious.
Yes, I had my 10.5-inch iPad Pro die on me completely after 1,5 years and got a replacement (a non-refurbished replacement, at that).

Notable in this is that under these laws it's not the producer, but the shop that sold you the device is responsible for this warranty. In this case I purchased directly from Apple, of course.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
My buds are working and charging fine, but I keep getting this UI bug:

r8qZfdx.png

Anyone else have this problem? When was the last time Apple put out an update?

Oct 25, 2017
I did try this after seeing this mentioned here and that thread haha. But I was a bit shy with it and didn't "suck" too hard since it felt gross to suck on things that were just in my ears. It didn't seem to have any immediate effect though, that was 2 days ago when I sucked and the test didn't pass until yesterday.
Sucking on the vents didn't clear the issue for me, and trust me, I can suck pretty hard.

I actually also now hear a whistling sound in the left bud as the vents decompress on insertion, so I definitely think there's something in there.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
After saying how much my pros has been working fine for weeks they're now showing signs of defections. They now fail to pass the ear test no matter which size I use and they sound worse compared to the demo pros at the Apple store. Well, good thing I bought AppleCare so I'll just get them replaced.

egg1111115

Nov 12, 2017
CA
I wonder if these issues are widespread enough (if I include the Macrumors thread on sucking/using Blue tack to fix the problems) for Apple to actually address them. I don't think I have *that* much of a problem aside from the right AirPod failing the test, but I can't remember how these sounded/felt to being with so maybe the slight extra pressure issues I was talking about before are how they always were...

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if these issues are widespread enough (if I include the Macrumors thread on sucking/using Blue tack to fix the problems) for Apple to actually address them. I don't think I have *that* much of a problem aside from the right AirPod failing the test, but I can't remember how these sounded/felt to being with so maybe the slight extra pressure issues I was talking about before are how they always were...
The only time Apple addressed Pro problems was when they removed an update that made ANC worse. Other than that they've been pretty silent which makes it hard to tell how big these problems are.

egg1111115

Nov 12, 2017
CA
The only time Apple addressed Pro problems was when they removed an update that made ANC worse. Other than that they've been pretty silent which makes it hard to tell how big these problems are.

True :/ It's not so bad for me though... I'm willing to wait until the next firmware update, or even as late as WWDC or whenever the next Apple conference is to try to do anything about this (buying tack or trying to get a replacement) . But it's still a bit disappointing. I guess it's what you get for shoving so much tech into a small device.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Noticed this strange rattling sound whenever I had airpods in my ears and spoke at a certain volume/pitch. My voice can get rather loud and low at times. Doubly so when I'm just excited or chatting w/ my wife and joking around while cooking or something.

Took em to the Genius Bar and got em swapped out. Jus glad I got the applecare+ on em. Problem is gone now.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up a pair of these because I've been having issues with my Bose QC35-II recently - mainly that the earpads have split (a very common issue) and I've been waiting more than a month for replacements (everything produced in China seems to be heavily delayed right now), but also because I was looking for a more lightweight option, as I find the weight of them to be a problem at times.

I'm very disappointed.
+ They're tiny. There's nothing comparable in terms of size and convenience.​
+ Bluetooth range is excellent. Far better than my QC35-IIs when walking around the house and the source is in another room.​
+ Noise cancellation is very effective. Better in some frequencies and worse in others when compared against Bose. One thing which stands out is that the noise floor is much lower on them (less hiss when nothing is playing and ANC is enabled).​
− Audio quality is bad. Bass is rolled off, treble is boosted - they sound very hollow and low-fidelity. Music just isn't "fun" on these. EQ can help, but there's no EQ control in the headphones themselves so it won't work with all devices. I don't think there's an EQ option on the Apple TV for video playback, for example.​
− Battery life is as advertised, but more of a problem than I thought it'd be.​
− I find them quite uncomfortable. They stick out more than my Bose QC20s do, and I get an uncomfortable pressure in my ears when using them with the ANC switched on. Ironically I have not found that to be a problem at all for the QC20, QC25, or QC35 that I've been using over the past six or so years. I think that's because the AirPods Pro are more of an IEM design than the Earbud-like design of the QC20, and perhaps also because the noise floor is lower.​
− No support for the aptX-LL codec, so they're useless for gaming.​

I was hoping for something comparable to a wireless QC20, but that's not what these are.
I feel like the regular AirPod price is more appropriate for what the Pros are actually delivering (AirPods were always overpriced to begin with).

"Active" Noise Cancelling. Instead of "Passive" Noise Isolation.
This is a great demo for people to show the difference between passive isolation and active noise cancelling, even if it's not with the AirPods:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
− I find them quite uncomfortable. They stick out more than my Bose QC20s do, and I get an uncomfortable pressure in my ears when using them with the ANC switched on. Ironically I have not found that to be a problem at all for the QC20, QC25, or QC35 that I've been using over the past six or so years. I think that's because the AirPods Pro are more of an IEM design than the Earbud-like design of the QC20, and perhaps also because the noise floor is lower.
That's interesting, I'm the exact opposite. I can only use my QC35s with the ANC on low, on high the pressure is super uncomfortable for me. I don't notice it at all on these

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
That's interesting, I'm the exact opposite. I can only use my QC35s with the ANC on low, on high the pressure is super uncomfortable for me. I don't notice it at all on these
It could be because I wear glasses, so the QC35-IIs don't make a perfect seal.
But the QC20s that I also use regularly are unaffected by that, and I don't get the same pressure with those as I do with the AirPods Pro.

Ghost Rider

Oct 27, 2017
So I've had these a couple of months and really love them (Have the originals and the Powerbeats pro as well) but now I'm getting the same issue I had with the originals where one ear bud is t charging. Really frustrating. I go to the gym at 5 am and I don't like having The surprise of one dead earbud.

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
So I've had these a couple of months and really love them (Have the originals and the Powerbeats pro as well) but now I'm getting the same issue I had with the originals where one ear bud is t charging. Really frustrating. I go to the gym at 5 am and I don't like having The surprise of one dead earbud.

That's happened with my right earbud (always the right) a couple times now at the gym. Definitely frustrating in a set of buds I otherwise love.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Been wanting a pair of these but still can't easily find them locally in Japan. Made even worse now that its graduation season and everyone seems to bought their teen a pair lol. Oh well maybe in May.

egg1111115

Nov 12, 2017
CA
Anyone hear a very faint, slight white-ish noise in transparency mode, even when it's silent around them? I'm not sure if mine always did this...I don't notice it in Noise Canceling mode.

Feb 1, 2018
Day 1 user here. The silicone is making my ears itch lately, and combined with the slipperyness of it when coated with earwax (yes this is gross im going there), it has a tendency to slowly break the seal and I find myself constantly adjusting them.

What's the current state of foam tips? Are there any viable 3rd party ones?

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Day 1 user here. The silicone is making my ears itch lately, and combined with the slipperyness of it when coated with earwax (yes this is gross im going there), it has a tendency to slowly break the seal and I find myself constantly adjusting them.

What's the current state of foam tips? Are there any viable 3rd party ones?
Are you taking the tips off and washing them with water?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly kinda sick of them (launch Model) and will hit up apple tomorrow. every other day one of the buds isn't properly registered and stays permanently paired / draining the battery. case lights up charging when I put it in so it's registered there but it still is available on all devices for whatever goddamn reason

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
I feel dumb. I just bought these, brought them home... and had no idea the charger came with a USB-C cable. I don't have a single device that has a USB-C port so I have no way to charge them.

Anyone know where I can buy something that works with USB-C that I can plug into the wall to charge??

edit: feeling even dumber now. just realized I can use my normal USB lightning cables.

Last edited:

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
RIP my left AirPod Pro. It's dead. I suppose I'll be calling AppleCare tomorrow.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I feel dumb. I just bought these, brought them home... and had no idea the charger came with a USB-C cable. I don't have a single device that has a USB-C port so I have no way to charge them.

Anyone know where I can buy something that works with USB-C that I can plug into the wall to charge??

edit: feeling even dumber now. just realized I can use my normal USB lightning cables.
You could also get a wireless charger

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think they're worth it. I'll be getting the iPhone SE 2 (or 9 or whatever they'll call it), but likely won't be able to use a wireless charger since I use a case + popsocket with my phones.
Oh I just meant for your pods. I like having my wireless charger at work, I just throw the case onto the charger and forget about it. Frees up the cable for my phone

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
My AirPods have a bug that triggers Siri automatically. Annoying as hell.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
These were expensive as fuck, but they're the first wireless headphones I dotn regret buying. Have had jaybirds, and a bunch of beats. They all suck compared to these

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
My new replacement Airpods Pro are perfect.

I also actually pass the fit test on the right AirPod now, so I guess it was broken from the very first day until the swishing noise started a couple weeks ago.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So what is the return policy when ordering from Apple or Amazon? Since I can't go to the store and order these, I am just curious what my options are if they don't sit properly.