• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017

While many gamers fond of the hardware still keep it on shelves to play or collect dust, a few were unexpectedly spotted at Newark International Airport in the US State of New Jersey.

Mounted on long arms above monitor screens, the close-up photo also reveals the Xbox logo embossed on the top left corner of the gadget. Whether the accessory makes for a better alternative than existing security cameras or if a bunch of these were going for cheap is anyone's guess, but it is interesting to see the device still in use, albeit not in a TV lounge but an airport.

So that's who bought the unsold kinects. Newark is my main airport, guess I'll keep an eye out on them next time I'm there.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Still doesn't beat turning on one of those ghost hunting shows to see bros yelling at ghosts while holding kinects in the dark

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinect was always a product that was better for enterprise anyway. How well it does in this situation, I don't know, but it makes more sense here than in gaming

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
I have a friend who works in archaeology who utilizes ~4 Kinects for 3D scanning as a cheap alternative to more expensive hardware. Pretty cool solution IMO.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
people ITT coming to "OLOL KINECT" know that the latest Kinect, Azure Kinect, just started arriving in devs hands just a short while ago, right? Kinect isn't dead in the enterprise world.

RWsCgp

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda humourous how the Kinect has been least useful in gaming.

If I recall correctly, weren't they used in healthcare for medical imaging or something?

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I remember people using kinect and Blender for cheap motioncapture for their games. Not sure if they still do but it really seems that the thing was more useful for other things than being a full body motion controller for games.

people ITT coming to "OLOL KINECT" know that the latest Kinect, Azure Kinect, just started arriving in devs hands just a short while ago, right? Kinect isn't dead in the enterprise world.

RWsCgp

What is it used for? Looks kinda cool.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Kinect could have been the Google home/ Amazon echo of this day and age .
You were the choose one Anakin !!

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

RWsCgp

While I knew the product was used a bunch in the medical field when it first dropped I had no clue they were still putting money into R&D for new models. That's pretty damn nifty!

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda humourous how the Kinect has been least useful in gaming.

If I recall correctly, weren't they used in healthcare for medical imaging or something?

Depth scanning cameras are used in lots of industries, they're 3D point scanners. They're used in plastics tooling a lot as well.

Kinect 2 hasn't been used much lately because it's 6 years old. Newer handheld 3D scanners like the ones from EinScan overtook kinect in the enterprise world several years ago. That's why the newest Kinect (basically Kinect 3) just launched.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I knew the product was used a bunch in the medical field when it first dropped I had no clue they were still putting money into R&D for new models. That's pretty damn nifty!

It's leaps and bounds better than the previous Kinect in terms of fidelity, too.

This type of tech is very useful for face modeling in video games, btw.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is it used for? Looks kinda cool.

3D scanning. The "azure" part refers to how you can hold it in your hand to scan models and it'll use AI to stitch the several scans that happen from your hand's orientation into a full 3D model. Ironically, this is actually pretty close to the original Kinect pitch where the dude held up his skateboard and it became a 3D model in the game. It's not quite that for consumer applications, but that's one actual application in enterprise world. An example would be a car manufacturer who sculpts small models out of clay for a concept car, who can scan it into their computer and have the clay model instantly turn into a 3D model on their computer.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I have a friend who works in archaeology who utilizes ~4 Kinects for 3D scanning as a cheap alternative to more expensive hardware. Pretty cool solution IMO.

Someone mentioned this before, I wonder if MS would have been better of selling the Kinect for other uses than gaming. Seems they had a good idea, but it wasn't targeted towards the right people.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
3D scanning. The "azure" part refers to how you can hold it in your hand to scan models and it'll use AI to stitch the several scans that happen from your hand's orientation into a full 3D model. Ironically, this is actually pretty close to the original Kinect pitch where the dude held up his skateboard and it became a 3D model in the game. It's not quite that for consumer applications, but that's one actual application in enterprise world. An example would be a car manufacturer who sculpts small models out of clay for a concept car, who can scan it into their computer and have the clay model instantly turn into a 3D model on their computer.
I understand it's new and only dev kits are out? Will this be available to buy for regular customers and do you know how much one of those costs?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone mentioned this before, I wonder if MS would have been better of selling the Kinect for other uses than gaming. Seems they had a good idea, but it wasn't targeted towards the right people.

this was 5 years ago using Kinect 1. Kinect 2 was already an extreme jump in quality over this, and now Azure Kinect actually includes AI support to handle the stitching Oliver Kreylos had to do manually in these tests.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understand it's new and only dev kits are out? Will this be available to buy for regular customers and do you know how much one of those costs?

They're "dev kits" in that they're intended to be used in enterprise, but they're a full consumer release really. You don't have to apply to get one, it's just like buying a product. They're $400, which is way, waaaaay below the other 3D scanners I mentioned in this topic. Gamers don't really know how big this field is. There are $10k+ 3D scanners out there, Kinect has always been a comparatively great tech at a very low price vs the competition.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know people love to shit on the Kinect, but it was always a solid tech especially at the price, and on PC it's still being iterated upon even though gamers don't care anymore. Where I work we used a Kinect for a prototype this year, as the tech offered is mighty impressive for the entry point even on older versions.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017

RWsCgp
Nice. I remember we (not in my department, but within the company I work for) worked with Kinect some time ago. It was a cheap AF prototyping tool. It wasn't perfect but worked very well for what amounted to zero bucks in an field where any kind of hardware quickly costs in the thousands.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice. I remember we (not in my department, but within the company I work for) worked with Kinect some time ago. It was a cheap AF prototyping tool. It wasn't perfect but worked very well for what amounted to zero bucks in an field where any kind of hardware quickly costs in the thousands.

Yeah, now that it has ai handling the stitching and its transitioned to a handheld scanner, the latest kinects are super useful. Its also nice that there is finally good pc support, kinect 2's Microsoft pc support really died after windows 8. So azure kinect is worth it from a software standpoint if you are looking at 3d scanners.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Supposedly the Xbox one Kinect can read and translate American sign language, but die to MS not paying the license for it, they had to disable it.

ACellarDoor

Mar 4, 2019
Name one person, Techspot. I'll wait.
I still use it. I play Fruit Ninja and Boom Ball with my 7 year old son. It is great fun and we have great time.

I have also spotted Kinect in the Lego World Theme Park. They were used in 3D adventure rides to detect motion and throw virtual fireballs at the Great Devourer from Ninjago (that was ofcourse with my son as well).

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
I'm in New Jersey and actually meeting someone later to sell my unopened Xbox One kinect. Maybe they work for the airport...

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018

It was still massively successful for a time, so I think Microsoft had the right idea. Additionally, that mass production and (short-lived) consumer adoption allowed the Kinect to be sold for a far cheaper price than equivalent B2B hardware, which definitely increased the number of cases of people finding interesting, niche use cases.

Honestly, I think the Kinect was almost ahead of its time. The hardware wasn't quite there for games, and they blundered on the marketing hard when it came to forcing its inclusion with the One at launch. Considering the prevalence of always-on smart devices in consumer homes nowadays, I wonder if it would have been far more successful if it was launched a few years in to the Xbox One instead of the 360.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Still doesn't beat turning on one of those ghost hunting shows to see bros yelling at ghosts while holding kinects in the dark

And that's not as good as when one of the Paranormal Activity movies happened almost entirely from a Kinect's POV as part of a product placement deal with MS.