• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017

Akon, who is of Senegalese descent, originally announced plans for the futuristic "Crypto city" in 2018 saying that the city would be built on a 2,000-acre land gifted to him by the President of Senegal, Macky Sall. The new city would also trade exclusively in his own digital cash currency called AKoin, he said.

W-AKOIN-DA forever?

edit: recent flex

His most recent venture is Akon Lighting Africawhich is providing solar power to African countries.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
lLBjmry.png

Yeah, that checks out.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad that in his heart of hearts he really want to impact people positively. But that hubris.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ok so I have questions:

1. Why would the president just gift Akon 2000 acres? That seems corrupt to give a rich guy free land

2. What does Akon do in 2020? Haven't heard him on the radio in like a decade

3. Why would you name it after yourself?

4. why use a made up currency?

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cray.

Dude said that its one of the few places left that a black man with a dream can become a millionaire. Now Akon has 2000 acres to play SimCity with.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so I have questions:

1. Why would the president just gift Akon 2000 acres? That seems corrupt to give a rich guy free land

reeks of a scam tbh

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that it all works out for the good and that he can build something for others that they will like.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so I have questions:

Because he's a celebrity that has gotten lots of goodwill from his lighting company and charity work. Easier to give wealth to other wealthy people when the commoners like him.

He's not a businessman, he's a business, man.

...? Why WOULDN'T you???

Because then he controls the value of the currency.

Tangeroo

Oct 26, 2017
Ok so I have questions:

Are you suggesting that this is A Kon?

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
That's a pretty wild AKomplishment

I hope the city is AKommodating

I hope he makes his own official language to mirror these puns. Like go full Mortal Kombat cheese.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The guy dropped Don't Matter. He can do whatever he wants for the rest of life, that banger gives him a blank check.

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
AKON't believe the President would give him that much land, but from what I've heard he has provided a lot to aid the less fortunate in the past so hopefully he can continue his work with this.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
The exclusive crypto currency thing is alarming to anyone who has ever grown up with grandparents who were around for the whole "Miners script" wages thing. Being paid in fun bucks that are only good in your area leads to complete control of your life by those who runt he currency. Miners store only shopping was a constant swing of nothing but the cheapest junk available sold in bulk to those with scripts. The script printers would enjoy all the nice interest of their real money and the options to invest and grow it while those on script were fun buck to fun buck lifestyles. Miners houses became a thing which meant the mine owners could take out building loans, skim them for profit and make cheap houses that came in under loan budget that they'd charge script users a higher percent interest on than the bank they got the build loan from themselves thus letting them both skim borrowed funds and interest from your premiums paid.

Seriously...dont go for a crypto coin currency for an entire city as its only means of commerce. Especially since such currency also adds an entire new host of concerns and pitfalls in addition to all that shit I mentioned that occurred to miner familys during the day of miners script commerce.