• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Alabama continues to be crap. No wonder the Grateful Dead wrote a song that literally says to "get away"

The irony is the episode barely focuses on the fact he's gay. Most of the episode is the kids learn he's getting married, see someone they assume is going to his wife (who acts like a stricter version of Ratburn), believing she would make him tougher so they try to get the wedding called off. The end of the episode reveals that woman was his sister and they don't seem to mind that he's marrying a man.
If anything the most offensive thing about it is the animation. So janky...

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
PBS should make a version of the episode where he marries his female cousin instead of another man. It'd more closely align with the people of Alabama.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't conservatives the ones howling about censorship?

I bet right wing Twitter is letting this one slide then.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Given what I know about APT I'd bet a lot of people in leadership positions would have no problem airing it but I'm betting they made a calculated decision to not piss off conservative donors.

I always considering donating too, makes it easier to say no this year.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Of course I'm white. I'm not saying racism isn't in mobile, but it appeared everyone was friendly down there. I saw gay people all over the place too. It was like any other city I've been to.

Just saying, it mostly must be outside of urban areas. That seems to be the case everywhere. Just way more extreme in the south.
About like anywhere else, yeah. Birmingham, Huntsville, and the college towns aren't bad. Get even slightly away from those (or the wrong places in them) and it gets bad real quick.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
If children see positive images of gay and lesbian couples, how will they know to hate them?

Btw, fuck Alabama. (Sorry to the handful of sane people that got stuck there)

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Apparently some church here announced that they will be showing the episode in a couple weeks,
im kinda surprised
>

AL.com: Birmingham church to host wedding party while screening banned Arthur episode
As Alabama Public Television continues its ban on a PBS episode that showed a same-sex marriage, a Birmingham church is throwing a wedding party to celebrate the matrimony.
First United Methodist Church is hosting a free screening of the Arthur episode "Mr. Ratburn and the Special Someone" on June 15 at 10 a.m. The church is welcoming people of all ages to the event, where wedding cake and sparkling apple juice will be served.
The church collaborated with Sidewalk Film Festival and Shout LGBTQ Film Festival to organize the wedding party. Rachel Morgan, who is the creative director for both festivals, got permission from WGBH in Boston to screen the episode. She said the episode and the event's location fulfills the festivals' mission to show content featuring people who are underrepresented in film and media.
"Weddings take places at churches all the time. So First Church seems like a perfect venue for the cartoon in my opinion," she said. "(The church) frequently communicates to the community that they are an 'open place for all,' and I think this event reflects that statement."