• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
DzFuZVPUcAAHup_.jpg

LMAO, this is terrible

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
He really didn't need to be blue. Put Big Willie in some blue clothing and keep the smoke, but he himself didn't need to be blue.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
It is kind of amazing how they manage to use a lot of money to make it look afwul and fake and cheap, and thats not even including that take on Genie holy jesus what is that?

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Genie doesn't bother me as much as Jafar. That absolutely flat reading of 'Bring me the lamp.' like Jafar is reading from a teleprompter on top of the cave of wonders. Are we serious right now that he's supposed to be the villain? This Jafar sounds like his three wishes would include a cup of tea, some biscuits and a nap.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
We might be agreeing here but focusing on different things.
The genie design is jarring and that jarring nature of a real face with that body is so amusing it is naturally charming. But if you look at the genie and the cave of wonders relative to the rest of the setting scene so far it is jarring in how everything else looks realistic but the character and that specific location on fire doesn't.

As a character it hits the right notes in exaggerated features even before we see it combined with Wil's infectious personality. As a piece within the entire movie it might not go far enough to blend fantastical with the real. The cave of wonders gives cause for concern how the blending will clash but maybe on a second trailer when they show off some of the genie's transformations and magic outside of the cave might have had more effort put into them.

I don't think we can fundamentally agree that the jarring juxtaposition is charming. In my opinion, it's not even minimally interesting or appealing; it simply looks bad and distracting. I don't think the design works on any level but one of comedy. If this movie were a parody, I'd agree with you, but as far as I know, it's not.

Nephtis

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
Beauty and the Beast hyped the hell out of me, and was a huge disappointment.

This does nothing to me. Either it's because I know better, or because somehow I just know this movie will surprise me and will be so much better than I ever expected!

.... yeah it's gonna suck.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Genie doesn't bother me as much as Jafar. That absolutely flat reading of 'Bring me the lamp.' like Jafar is reading from a teleprompter on top of the cave of wonders. Are we serious right now that he's supposed to be the villain? This Jafar sounds like his three wishes would include a cup of tea, some biscuits and a nap.

I actually agree with this. I have huge issues with the genie design, but the line delivery from Jafar is just embarrassingly bad.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
He really didn't need to be blue. Put Big Willie in some blue clothing and keep the smoke, but he himself didn't need to be blue.
We've already had that and people were super pissed he wasn't blue in that thread.

DuyHTTwU8AA2Go5.jpg

Now he's blue and people are mad again. Fact is, the Genie is too iconic and nostalgic for people to ever be okay with anything than what we had before.

Not saying he looks brilliant in blue either mind, but the way people are going at what is obviously early CG after kicking up a fuss about a lack of blue before is a little eye-rolly. People are actually straightface comparing it to The Scorpian King, it's cringey as all hell.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
We've already had that and people were super pissed he wasn't blue in that thread.

DuyHTTwU8AA2Go5.jpg

Now he's blue and people are mad again. Fact is, the Genie is too iconic and nostalgic for people to ever be okay with anything than what we had before.

Not saying he looks brilliant in blue either mind, but the way people are going at what is obviously early CG after kicking up a fuss about a lack of blue before is a little eye-rolly. People are actually straightface comparing it to The Scorpian King, it's cringey as all hell.

I honestly would have just preferred Will himself compared to what we ended up getting, and I didn't originally want him to be himself.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think Will Smith is the best choice for genie. But that is kind of underwhelming visually. Maybe my expectations were too high.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I'm a tech artist and I think there are about a billion different ways they could have visually represented the genie. The problem is the focus on realism. The facial features aren't exaggerated or caricaturized enough, which results in the jarring juxtaposition of humanoid facial proportions with a fantastical creature's body. It just doesn't work. The entrance to the cave of wonders has the same problem of striving to be realistic.

If you're gonna go live action but still have fantastical elements (especially when the source material is as cartoonishly animated as Aladdin) you have to be willing to make some visual concessions when it comes to realism if you want everything to blend together in the end.

Yes it took me some time to put my finger on it but it's how Will Smith's normal face looks totally cropped onto a CGI character, and that they didn't get the ratio of head space the face should take up completely right. Or the way the eyes and mouth should be stretching or moving in relation to the way the rest of the face seems like the rest of his head is paralysed...?

We look at human faces every day so when it doesn't look right we instinctively know it's wrong.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017

DuyHTTwU8AA2Go5.jpg

I think most people would prefer him to just look like that now lol.

Oct 31, 2017
I honestly would have just preferred Will himself compared to what we ended up getting, and I didn't originally want him to be himself.

I would have preferred Will Smith was not cast on this. Or this movie was not made until they could have reused WIlliams' lines and CGId Genie all the way like Thanos in IW, but here we are. And if they are gonna put a Genie in this movie he better be goddamn blue.

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
Maybe handsome and nasally Jafar is the illusion. Right when you think you've got Jafar figured out, BAM!...

maxresdefault.jpg

Ghassan Massoud reveals himself as the actual Jafar, and now you're sacred for Aladdin because this Jafar does not fuck around. Seriously, how is he not Jafar Disney?

Bless. We are not worthy. Kidding aside, that would have been a great casting choice tbh.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Or the way the eyes and mouth should be stretching or moving in relation to the way the rest of the face seems like the rest of his head is paralysed...?

Yes, this is baffling to me because Squash and Stretch is one of the 12 basic animation principles outlined by Disney animators (coincidentally, it's something I'll be covering in an upcoming video production) and has been used for traditional hand drawn facial animation for decades. With live action human actors, their natural visible musculature should sufficiently convey flexibility, but the genie has neither natural facial movement nor squashed and stretched animations, so it just looks completely off.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017

I remember that thread now. I actually liked the way he looked on the cover and that would've been the perfect look for this type of film.

Could've had him look like this and just have his shape shifting result in blue creatures/items or whatever.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
-That Aladdin is not doing it for me.
-Jafar doesn't seem evil enough.
-Jasmine looks emotionless in every scene she's in.
-Will Smith Avatar.

Yea....that's gonna be a no from me, dawg.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Aladdin is one of my favourite movies and I was happy enough with the trailer. There is a lot of nostalgia to get over but I think it will be okay.

The CGI could use work. I don't know why Sony cheaps out on it . I am not happy with Jafars line and the fact he should be disguised as a begger at the Cave of Wonders.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Genie outside the face looks good, sadly they made it too closely to resemble the actor.

Disney has amazing face rig tech, so they could have gone further from the source and look good.. Now it looks scarily like Smith's face composed on top of the CGI body.
There is still time to make things work better though.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Genie outside the face looks good, sadly they made it too closely to resemble the actor.
Disney has amazing face rig tech, so they could have gone further from the source and look good.. Now it looks scarily like Smith's face composed on top of the CGI body.
Yeah, it would be fine if it didn't look so half-assed, but no. It really does look like they just stuck his face on a CGI character.

That scene with the lava and the cave collapsing around Aladdin didn't look so hot either.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not feeling the look, like at all. The still they released later is slightly better.

lol is will even trying? there's not even a fraction of Williams's energy there

Williams was being Williams... Will is being Will.

If Will tried being Williams it would be much MUCH worse.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Man, even having the lowest of expectations going in that looks awful.

Jafar has the menace of a kindergarten teacher.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017

DuyHTTwU8AA2Go5.jpg

I'll admit it, I shit on this look when I first saw it, and I'm willing to admit I was wrong. That is far from good, but a million times better than this blue monstrocity

Oct 26, 2017
I'm willing to give this a chance but.......fucking hell Genie Will looks bad. Like 00's CG BAD!
If the CG isn't ready yet, don't let this be the first look at him in his blue form.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it looks good

although I don't think Will Smith will do great because it's just Will Smith being Will Smith

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, that's not looking great. It looks like their weird mix of looking really cheap but also looking really expensive at the same time.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I think they should've just made Genie a female character played by Zelda Williams