• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just wait until the movie comes out.

Everyone always overreacts to these trailers. Same things people said when shots of Thanos came out before IW. Then after the movie dropped people were praising it. By this point it's almost routine.

You guys really think Disney is gonna drop a movie of this magnitude with some shitty cgi? Come on now
nobody was clowning Thanos' appearance as hard as Genie is now
yeah the Homer Simpson pic was funny but Genie is next level

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Dear Christ the Genie looks so bad you'd think this was a parody..just leave Aladdin alone and let me remember it fondly pls.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Why do these disney remakes have this weird muted and de saturated colour look to them ? Its like there tryna be apart of the early dceu.

Looks meh, as opposed to lion king which looks great. I really hope mulan looks good

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
DzFuZVPUcAAHup_.jpg
Why not use Avatar tech instead?

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not an expert but doesn't the parade and the princess look more indian than arab? Getting Bollywood vibes for some reason

Also the worst part about this is not the Genie but Jafar

Last edited:

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
My problem with this is the lighting doesn't make any sense. It seems like the lighting in CG scenes are completely inconsistent with how the composited real world actors are lit.

Then you have genie which is will smiths face pasted n a CG body which looks really weird cuz the lighting conditions of both look off, but they are directly connected. Genies body is overly specular while smiths face is not. There seem to be discontinuities in shadows and reflections between all elements of the scene.

Also smiths mocap looks wrong. It's like the finer details of his movements were filtered out giving a serious uncanny valley feel to it.

TL;DR: Lights in CG are different from real actor lighting.

652A7b5.png

OTIj3uO.png

q2HzODj.jpg

Last edited:

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Just wait until the movie comes out.

Everyone always overreacts to these trailers. Same things people said when shots of Thanos came out before IW. Then after the movie dropped people were praising it. By this point it's almost routine.

You guys really think Disney is gonna drop a movie of this magnitude with some shitty cgi? Come on now

Great performance capture and CG aside, Thanos does look like ass designwise though. It's a great example imo of a design that works as a 2D drawing, but not in a 'live action' context.

This Genie is the same. It's a cartoon character that worked perfectly in 2D animation, but looks off in a live action context. To me it's a prime example of how these live action remakes tend to suck all the charm out of the originals (Beauty and the Beast's terrible cogsworth, Lumiere and others are another great 'what the fuck is this shit'-example).

I can understand the economical reason for these movies (they earn a fuckton), and I can also kind of see why you'd want to remake some older movies that are showing their age like Disney's first animated classics (Dumbo, Bambi, etc, all classics, but they really feel old in the storytelling department). But remaking practically perfect animated classics like Beaty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King? Why? You strip them of all their incredible charm, you need to update them with some extra stuff that doesn't hold a candle up to the original to be able to offer 'something new', and in the end fail to catch lighning in a bottle twice. I'd rather have Disney invest in new stories and IP's and keep their classics alive by maybe remastering and rereleasing them if need be. But yeah, these movies break a billion at the box office, so...

I'm going to sound like an old man yelling at clouds, but the sad thing is, for younger generations this will probably become their Aladdin and their Lion King, and that's just sad.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also very bad sign that the protag has not said a single word or shown a shred of personality throughout the media they've released.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
You know, at least I still have the original to watch... That is my thought after all these remakes have failed to impress. Let the new kids enjoy these for whatever they're worth, but I'll stick to the good old animations.

That said, I will still watch this out of curiosity and Smith's delivery as Genie. Not got hope for anything else.

And I'll watch The Lion King, because that's actually one that got me hyped from its trailer! Love TLK so much.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
The Prince Ali musical number shot reminded me B&B in how small and cramped it feels.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
It's just the genie, I don't hate everything else, there was even a really cool shot of alladin in the cave there. But that genie... Damn.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This looks... fine? Like, really fine?

Is there any possible interpretation of a real-life blue buff genie that would be better than this?

That's most likely a target render / shopped marketing images... it's definitely not what the realtime CG is up to right now. But unlike most people here, I'm open and have no judgement to give until I see the movie.

Yan

Oct 29, 2017
I don't get why they didn't get a bit more creative instead of literaly putting Will Smith's face on a blue ghost.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the trailer looked like either some sort of "Visit _____" marketing, or a commercial for like...car insurance. It's surprisingly flat and cheap looking.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My biggest gripe is just what Aladin is because of Robin Williams. He made that movie just go above and beyond because of his unique humour and just him being him. You can not try to replicate that, as much as Will was a funny guy, because like all the other Disney classics they are just tied to those people who gave these characters a voice.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That guy is way too... squeaky to play Jaffar. I know Disney kinda overplayed the whole "villains have English accents because they sound evil" thing, but they could have at least picked someone that sounded evil, like they did with Shere Khan.

I don't get why they didn't get a bit more creative instead of literaly putting Will Smith's face on a blue ghost.

They're presumably going to have him appear as human quite a bit for budget. I don't mind him being a big blue genie, though. That's what he's meant to be. I was much more worried he'd only be seen in human form.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
My friend and I watched this last night and were laughing hysterically at how ridiculous Genie looked. My cheeks and sides hurt afterwards. I mean it seriously looks terrible, and I'm not the tyoe for internet hyperbole.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
One with better CGI, yes.

Ok, CGI is spotty, but is that really that much more important than seeing how well Will Smith seems to be visually owning a role that would be practically a nightmare for anyone?

We're asking an actor to have so much charisma while looking like a blue baloon that it can make you forget about a childhood animated classic voiced by the late Robin Williams. I can think of very few actors who can actually do that aside from Smith. It's a gargantuan task and honestly the casting of WS is one of the most reassuring things about this project.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Will Smith is like the anti-Nicolas Cage.
The same amount of bad decisions, but Smith's career and rep is basically intact while Cage keeps on being derided but occasionally makes wild shit like Mandy and Bad Lieutenant.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
This looks... fine? Like, really fine?

Is there any possible interpretation of a real-life blue buff genie that would be better than this?
The thing that makes this looks extremely awkward is that it's literally just Will Smith's head put on a big CGI body. In my opinion they should've gone either full CGI (making the Genie not look like Will Smith, just have him voicing it) or just make the Genie a non (or minimal) CG Will Smith so that you don't have the awkward big balloon body. This mix just doesn't work at all.