• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Aladdin has gone on to look like the most interesting live adaptation from Disney this year. Genie looks good. And many of these shots and the music was great. I'm optimistic here. Liking the castings too.

HotTakeCakes

Alt account
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Reading
My problem with this is the lighting doesn't make any sense. It seems like the lighting in CG scenes are completely inconsistent with how the composited real world actors are lit.

Then you have genie which is will smiths face pasted n a CG body which looks really weird cuz the lighting conditions of both look off, but they are directly connected. Genies body is overly specular while smiths face is not. There seem to be discontinuities in shadows and reflections between all elements of the scene.

Also smiths mocap looks wrong. It's like the finer details of his movements were filtered out giving a serious uncanny valley feel to it.

TL;DR: Lights in CG are different from real actor lighting.

652A7b5.png

OTIj3uO.png

q2HzODj.jpg

The stuff kids really care about.

Yan

Oct 29, 2017
Why get a A-lister like Will Smith if you are not going to show his face?

Will Smith is hardly an A lister today. But surely they could have modeled the face like him so you can still see his resemblance and mimicry but still keep it distinct enough to look less weird like they do in a lot of animation and games.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, it looks a little wonky, but I'll be open to it. This internet rage that goes on with new stuff getting released is wearing pretty thin, I think everyone should just chill

Nov 21, 2017
The more I see of this movie, the worse it looks. Also, is it just me, or does the set design, costume design, and CGI all look incredibly cheap and tacky?

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
My problem with this is the lighting doesn't make any sense. It seems like the lighting in CG scenes are completely inconsistent with how the composited real world actors are lit.

Then you have genie which is will smiths face pasted n a CG body which looks really weird cuz the lighting conditions of both look off, but they are directly connected. Genies body is overly specular while smiths face is not. There seem to be discontinuities in shadows and reflections between all elements of the scene.

Also smiths mocap looks wrong. It's like the finer details of his movements were filtered out giving a serious uncanny valley feel to it.

652A7b5.png

OTIj3uO.png

q2HzODj.jpg

16x9.jpg

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
How to phrase this without it sounding immediately negative... did they film this entire movie on a soundstage? A 20x20 stage draped in green or blue?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why do these disney remakes have this weird muted and de saturated colour look to them ? Its like there tryna be apart of the early dceu.

Looks meh, as opposed to lion king which looks great. I really hope mulan looks good

Heh, The Lion King is no different in that regard.

Everything looks very...brown.

If I had to use a descriptor to describe Disney's remakes, I would say most of them just look lame. They lack the energy and pizzazz (and yahoo and how) that animation brings to the table.

The Cave of Wonders is the most perfect example.

DevotedAcrobaticFishingcat-size_restricted.gif

A magical, sentient being that forms out of nowhere in the middle of the desert.

TQsIn0N.gif

Literally a static face carved on a mountain, that kinda lights up.

These movies are an absolute dearth of creativity and ambition in any aspect that matters.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

A magical, sentient being that forms out of nowhere in the middle of the desert.

TQsIn0N.gif

These movies are an absolute dearth of creativity and ambition in any aspect that matters.

Probably my biggest gripe so far. The difference is STAGGERING.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Will Smith is hardly an A lister today. But surely they could have modeled the face like him so you can still see his resemblance and mimicry but still keep it distinct enough to look less weird like they do in a lot of animation and games.
He is a household name and face all around the world.
And he was the 6th highest paid actor of 2018, so there is that. And he probably has a clause in his contract that his face must be shown as is (which is not that uncommon for big stars)

Link

Yan

Oct 29, 2017
He is a household name and face all around the world.
And he was the 6th highest paid actor of 2018, so there is that. And he probably has a clause in his contract that his face must be shown as is (which is not that uncommon for big stars)

Link

Well then, I stand corrected. I didn't know he was still this big.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
And he probably has a clause in his contract that his face must be shown as is (which is not that uncommon for big stars)

This is probably true, and if it is, Disney should not have cast him for the role; it's too great of a restriction for a character like this.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I mean...it's still hard for me to gauge Will as Genie just from those two seconds.

But damn Jafar's actor just does NOT fit that role...his voice threw me way off lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, from that little showing, it looks awful. I'm not even sure it should have been remade in the first place, whoever would be the genie is against a severe uphill battle straight away.

Oct 2, 2018
lol. seriously horrible. Will Smith is not even trying to act. Its will smith the genie.

The whole thing looks cheap as well and jafar sounds like a woman?

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Heh, The Lion King is no different in that regard.

Everything looks very...brown.

If I had to use a descriptor to describe Disney's remakes, I would say most of them just look lame. They lack the energy and pizzazz (and yahoo and how) that animation brings to the table.

TQsIn0N.gif

The lighting on the cave's eyes looks terrible. Like they used some Siri activated third party HUE strips.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK

TQsIn0N.gif

That scene in the original Cave of Wonder was so wonderful when I was a kid, truly gave me a sense of wonder. The movie version look so uninspiring. Even the way the scene is filmed feels stale and slow.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jafar's voice sounds so off for the character. The CG Will Smith genie is a monstrosity.

Everything else looks good so far and hopefully there is enough to overcome the bad cg like Black Panther did.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's gonna be a no for me dawg

lol. seriously horrible. Will Smith is not even trying to act. Its will smith the genie.

The whole thing looks cheap as well and jafar sounds like a woman?

To be fair, Robin williams was Robin Williams the genie. I don't know why anyone expected anything different.

I'm more upset about Jafar. I know it was only one line but he sounded like he had no personality whatsoever. Jafar's original voice actor just oozed villain with every line. It was wonderful

Vinimaw

Oct 28, 2017
I had to re-watch the trailer because I missed Jafar the 1st time. This can't be real. One of my favorite Disney, and I fear that it could be a disaster.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
There is a finite amount of Special Effects studios prepared to take on this huge-ass blockbusters and it seems we have reached a breaking point where there are just not enough ressources to handle everything Disney throws at them.

Really looking forward to Aladdin winning Best Special Effects at the BAFTAs next year.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK

652A7b5.png

OTIj3uO.png

q2HzODj.jpg
I will not defend this crap, but:

guardians-of-the-galaxy-effects-changes-trailer-theatrical-cut-1062586.jpg

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my... they even backed it with a dramatic version of Friend Like Me.

Tone deaf across the board.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Disney can't have seen this footage and thought that this was going to work out for them. Given how strong their slate is this year it's not really a 'do or die' scenario for them.

I wonder whether they just knew they'd fucked this up and given the release date was already set with the merchandising partners planning their roll outs they just thought 'fuck it' and will fire it out anyway.

If this does crater I can't imagine that Will Smith and Guy Ritchie walk away unscathed.