• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
My problem with this is the lighting doesn't make any sense. It seems like the lighting in CG scenes are completely inconsistent with how the composited real world actors are lit.

Then you have genie which is will smiths face pasted n a CG body which looks really weird cuz the lighting conditions of both look off, but they are directly connected. Genies body is overly specular while smiths face is not. There seem to be discontinuities in shadows and reflections between all elements of the scene.

Also smiths mocap looks wrong. It's like the finer details of his movements were filtered out giving a serious uncanny valley feel to it.

TL;DR: Lights in CG are different from real actor lighting.

652A7b5.png

OTIj3uO.png

q2HzODj.jpg

In film there are always going to be some inconsistences due to staging of actors usually taking precedence over the rest of the elements in a given scene, but you're definitely right in your critique about the lighting.

Similarly, the lava scene was lacking in the emissive lighting department. It's really shocking how poorly constructed these scenes appear to be so far.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
My problem with this is the lighting doesn't make any sense. It seems like the lighting in CG scenes are completely inconsistent with how the composited real world actors are lit.

Then you have genie which is will smiths face pasted n a CG body which looks really weird cuz the lighting conditions of both look off, but they are directly connected. Genies body is overly specular while smiths face is not. There seem to be discontinuities in shadows and reflections between all elements of the scene.

Also smiths mocap looks wrong. It's like the finer details of his movements were filtered out giving a serious uncanny valley feel to it.

TL;DR: Lights in CG are different from real actor lighting.

652A7b5.png

OTIj3uO.png

q2HzODj.jpg

... Yep, this movie is making a billion.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I was in the wait-and-see camp on this one. We waited, now we saw, I think this looks pretty terrible. It's not just Will Smith as blue Will Smith either, though that's certainly a big part of why it looks horrendous, but Jafar has no vocal presence or intimidation to him, and the scale of it looks kind of big and small at the same time, like they were trying to give the illusion of huge but on a budget or something.

It's still going to make a stupid amount of money for Disney though.

does he upgrade aladdin's axe
Lmao

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also notice Jafar isn't in disguise in this version when going with Aladdin to the Cave of Wonders.

That bothers me for some reason.

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe how stoic Aladdin himself looks. Google 'Aladdin 1992' and every image of him is with a giant tooth-bearing grin or a look of wonder. Every time we see him in this trailer he looks like he's upset about the wait in the dentist's office.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Welp Era, once again the painful lesson that none of us can return to our childhoods via corporate art has sunk in.

Playing with actual kids and visiting your childhood home works, live action Disney does not.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Why get Guy Richie to direct your massive musical CGI event picture.
This is why I have no Sherlock 3 or The Real Rocknrolla isn't it

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe how stoic Aladdin himself looks. Google 'Aladdin 1992' and every image of him is with a giant tooth-bearing grin or a look of wonder. Every time we see him in this trailer he looks like he's upset about the wait in the dentist's office.

That definitely speaks to a bad direction problem.

But to be fair this is a short slice, I'm sure he won't always look that way but at the same time Guy Ritchie is someone I think of being really good at directing gritty actors playing gritty characters, wide eye wonder is not something I typically associate with him

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you walked around wide eyed and smiling all day you'd look psychotic.
Additional context to that hypothetical: I'm not trying to bring a cartoon character to life, and I'm not in a movie trailer. So yes, that would not go well for me.
That definitely speaks to a bad direction problem.

But to be fair this is a short slice, I'm sure he won't always look that way but at the same time Guy Ritchie is someone I think of being really good at directing gritty actors playing gritty characters, wide eye wonder is not something I typically associate with him
I definitely wouldn't want to blame the actor. The director more likely but in this specific case: just whoever assembled the trailer.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Disney can't have seen this footage and thought that this was going to work out for them. Given how strong their slate is this year it's not really a 'do or die' scenario for them.

I wonder whether they just knew they'd fucked this up and given the release date was already set with the merchandising partners planning their roll outs they just thought 'fuck it' and will fire it out anyway.

If this does crater I can't imagine that Will Smith and Guy Ritchie walk away unscathed.

I'd like to know exactly why Disney hired Guy Ritchie.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Why didn't they just make the Genie the kind with feet and looks humanoid? You could have CGI'd the blue skin sure, but Will Smith mostly on his own wearing a well designed outfit... it would have been fine. Why all the time, effort, and money to make something that looks hideous?

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I'd like to know exactly why Disney hired Guy Ritchie.

It could be that the film is more action orientated than the trailer (or the original film) suggests I'm baffled as to why Disney chose Ritchie too. I like Ritchie as a director and while it's good to see directors stretch their wings and try different things this just seems far too outside his 'wheel house' to really work. It might just be Disney wanted someone with 'big game' experience and had worked with big stars in the past.

empyrean2k

Oct 27, 2017
But Richie's last big film King Arthur absolutely tanked. Very odd choice for me. He shouldn't be anywhere near big budgets.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It could be that the film is more action orientated than the trailer (or the original film) suggests I'm baffled as to why Disney chose Ritchie too. I like Ritchie as a director and while it's good to see directors stretch their wings and try different things this just seems far too outside his 'wheel house' to really work. It might just be Disney wanted someone with 'big game' experience and had worked with big stars in the past.
Guy Ritchie is just so...counter to the spirit of the original movie, plus his last two movies were total bombs. It makes no sense.

I'm fed up of the "serious" tone shown in the last two teasers (Genie aside), with the really dumb take on Friend Like Me. They need to show Aladdin actually enjoying life.

2E5a.gif

9sxTqM.gif

1v7F.gif

ElectricDecisiveHaddock-size_restricted.gif

Or having literally any semblance of personality or charisma.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
The Cave of Wonders is the most perfect example.

DevotedAcrobaticFishingcat-size_restricted.gif

A magical, sentient being that forms out of nowhere in the middle of the desert.

TQsIn0N.gif

Literally a static face carved on a mountain, that kinda lights up.

These movies are an absolute dearth of creativity and ambition in any aspect that matters.
I had to laugh at how someone just flips a lightswitch on the new Cave of Wonders. Seriously, even fading it in would be more ominous.

I was scared of the original when I was a kid. Someone had to walk into the mouth of a magical tiger that could swallow them for eternity at any moment.

The new one doubled down on cave and forgot wonders.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I had to laugh at how someone just flips a lightswitch on the new Cave of Wonders. Seriously, even fading it in would be more ominous.

I was scared of the original when I was a kid. Someone had to walk into the mouth of a magical tiger that could swallow them for eternity at any moment.

The new one doubled down on cave and forgot wonders.
Right? The Cave of Wonders was awe-inspiring at the time. Plus a showcase for revolutionary CGI animation.

The Cave of Ritchie is nothing.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Must be a fun meeting going on at Disney HQ today. 22K Dislikes, more than likes.

How do you salvage this?

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
Genie being nothing more than blue Will Smith is something I almost expected modern, creatively bankrupt Disney to do, but WTF @ Jafar's voice. Who thought that made any sense for this villain? And there is something off with the lighting.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why does Jafar sound like such a dweeb? I sound more intimidating that that shit. What the fuck.

Look at this, fixed to something half way presentable in 10 minutes:

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Why did they hire Guy Richie? It's like Zack Snyder with DC all over again. They don't make good movies.

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
This probably isn't the reaction Disney planned on.

However, I'm still sold on this.

For some reason, I'm going to assume that the CG on Genie isn't finished yet (they still have 3 months.) So I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Other than that, everything looks great to me. Jasmine and Raja is there (which I thought they weren't even going to have in the film) the carpet is there and in the second and half I saw of it, it looks like it should and acts like it should.

Plus, The Prince Ali sequence looks beautiful.

And I mean, the music alone is worth the free ticket (Thanks AMC stubs) I'll use to see it.

It's gotta be better then BATB (Which I've watched and enjoyed..mostly)

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Yikes.

That's definitely raising a red flag somewhere on the Disney lot.

But, as i said before, they can't be that surprised by this.

They must have known people weren't going to take to this take on Aladdin. Either that or the initial teaser was just one giant misstep.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes.

That's definitely raising a red flag somewhere on the Disney lot.

But, as i said before, they can't be that surprised by this.

They must have known people weren't going to take to this take on Aladdin. Either that or the initial teaser was just one giant misstep.
The other live action remakes might have their problems, they've been generally very well liked. For all the complaints of "why make film again" for TLK remake, it's ultimately had an overwhelmingly positive reception.
But this one, nothing seems to be working for it. Every promotional bit or news about the production seems to be totally off, or bad looking.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
This is a far cry from the Jungle Book remake. That one while not necessary at least ended up being quite good. This looks pretty bad.