• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the shot of aladdin in front of the cave and on the rocks as the place is falling apart looks laughably bad.

hqdefault.jpg

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having the same reaction to this as I had to the Beauty and the Beast trailers past the teaser. It looks flat, and way too beholden to the design of the cartoon in the worst ways possible and not beholden enough to the original in ways that would have worked. Jafar is laughably bad, the costume may as well be a cast member at one of the theme parks.

I mean, these obviously are NOT for me (aside from the fact that I'm not a huge fan of Aladdin to begin with), since they're essentially retreads in the worst possible way rather than trying to do something interesting either thematically or visually with the material.

It would have never happened under the approach they're taking to these things, but with Robin Williams gone, they should have just taken a totally different, non-comedic, non-referential angle with the Genie.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
This just confirms that problem was never Will Smith being blue or not. Latter day Will Smith just has no energy, and the Genie needs energy. Doesn't even need to be Robin Williams energy, just energy. See the Broadway show- James Monroe Inglehart's Genie is his take on the Genie, markedly not Williams's Genie, but he's, well, still the Genie. Same with his successors.

Being generous to Will, maybe this was just the moment of the lowest energy he gets and he'll reach the highs of his earlier career in the film... but such a moment seems an awkward thing to show off in a teaser. Who is teased into wanting to see more???

Also lol handsome Jaffar, flat as expected. Not at all villainously charming or scary. Just. Meh.

Jasmine and Aladdin look okay though. Parade scene was neat.

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, The Lion King is no different in that regard.

Everything looks very...brown.

If I had to use a descriptor to describe Disney's remakes, I would say most of them just look lame. They lack the energy and pizzazz (and yahoo and how) that animation brings to the table.

The Cave of Wonders is the most perfect example.

DevotedAcrobaticFishingcat-size_restricted.gif

A magical, sentient being that forms out of nowhere in the middle of the desert.

TQsIn0N.gif

Literally a static face carved on a mountain, that kinda lights up.

These movies are an absolute dearth of creativity and ambition in any aspect that matters.

This makes me sad.
Jafar also makes me sad.
Why would you take cool things and intentionally make them less cool?

I'm not as down on Genie as everyone else, it doesn't really bother me, but I'm not going to shower it with praise either.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
People only pay attention to the last battle inside of the subway station. They completely miss the fact that almost the entirety of Wakanda was CGI. The beautiful sunset at the end? CGI. The astral plane? CGI. All of it was gorgeous.
nobody was clowning Thanos' appearance as hard as Genie is now
yeah the Homer Simpson pic was funny but Genie is next level
They definitely were clowning Thanos that hard. We just don't realize it because it was a year ago and we've seen the final product. Trust me, I google just googled all the articles and memes that came out when the IW trailers dropped.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I think the most damning criticism about Disney's Live-Action "remakes" is how little they add to the source material, and what is added is so inconsequential that it doesn't even seem worth it.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Holy crap I just realized the 26K likes vs the 30K dislikes.

Man everyone is loud over the Genie and I'm over here with my small "Fix Jafar!" sign.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
That looked worse than I thought

Jafar sounded awful as well

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
TQsIn0N.gif

Literally a static face carved on a mountain, that kinda lights up.

These movies are an absolute dearth of creativity and ambition in any aspect that matters.

"Yo, anyone know where the Cave of Wonders is?"
Original Aladdin: "Nah, that's a myth and doesn't actually exist. Nobody's ever seen it."
New Aladdin: "You mean that cave with a glowing lion's head? It's just beyond that arch. Everyone knows where it is. Shit's not a secret."

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Not making he genie 100% CGI was a huge mistake. Seriously, how did anyone think a Blue will Smith was going to look good as a replacement to the classic genie.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
People only pay attention to the last battle inside of the subway station. They completely miss the fact that almost the entirety of Wakanda was CGI. The beautiful sunset at the end? CGI. The astral plane? CGI. All of it was gorgeous.
I strongly disagree, Black Panther has a lot of really spotty CGI throughout the entire movie. Sure, the very obvious low points are the battle at the end and the ridiculous pan over the mountainside at the coronation ceremony with the very obvious digital doubles, but it's there in the entire movie.

For instance, at multiple points during the movie you can clearly see a green outline around the characters where the background was put in.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any footage of Aladdin or Jasmine talking? Three months out and your lead actors are basically invisible...

The marketing on this basically screams "we're afraid to show anything."

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not making he genie 100% CGI was a huge mistake. Seriously, how did anyone think a Blue will Smith was going to look good as a replacement to the classic genie.

pretty much, we've all been wondering about what the genie was going to look like, will smith painted blue probably didn't come up for to many people

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I'm very tempted to make that Genie still as my avatar lol
Someone do it for me so I can laugh every time I see it.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know they were gonna jack up Will Smith's body with CGI too. That creeped me out

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
lol

Let me introduce you to the director's previous movie.

King Arthur cost 175 million dollars.

Yeah that did suck but you would think (hope) with Disney being involved, it would look somewhat better though. Non of the other live action Disney movies have looked this cheap, something isn't right with this one.

Maybe Guy should go back to making gritty gangster movies, if this is what the final product is going to look like......

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guy Ritchie is just so...counter to the spirit of the original movie, plus his last two movies were total bombs. It makes no sense.

I'm fed up of the "serious" tone shown in the last two teasers (Genie aside), with the really dumb take on Friend Like Me. They need to show Aladdin actually enjoying life.

2E5a.gif

9sxTqM.gif

1v7F.gif

ElectricDecisiveHaddock-size_restricted.gif

Or having literally any semblance of personality or charisma.
This stuff could never be done well in live-action and is the reason why these movies are pointless cash-grabs to begin with.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017

Okay, they're not 'green outlines', but you can very clearly see the soft edges which makes it super obvious that Chadwick Boseman was acting in front of a green/blue screen.

Black Panther has its nice effects (it would be dire if there wasn't anything alvagable in a film more than 20 different VFX studios worked on), but for a 200 million dollar movie it contains a shocking amount of bad/seemingly very quickly put together VFX shots and compositions.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love how the last few months it has been "Don't worry guys the genie is actually going to be CG."

Then it turns out that the genie is a CG version of Will Smith in blue body paint.