• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still think this will make a lot of money. The demographic appeal is much broader than Mary Poppins and the source material is from the 90s rather than the 60s which makes a large difference.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I can already see the #EnslaveMeJafar hashtag from horny girls. He is way too good looking for what he is supposed to be.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I can already see the #EnslaveMeJafar hashtag from horny girls. He is way too good looking for what he is supposed to be.
I keep hearing that but what is he supposed to be? Jasmine had attractive male suitors she just didn't like them because they were shallow/not good people. Jafar can be handsome without changing his character.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
The animation on the genie is really really really bad. His design is fine by me. Jafar's voice though🤮

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. I don't see a Genie. I just see Will fucking Smith. And Jafar's voice. So far, big nope for me.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Being generous to Will, maybe this was just the moment of the lowest energy he gets and he'll reach the highs of his earlier career in the film... but such a moment seems an awkward thing to show off in a teaser. Who is teased into wanting to see more???

Well, Williams was an actual comic and pretty timeless. Will Smith's height of his career "high energy" is very much a 90s energy and vibe, which frankly doesn't really work nowadays (see Independence Day and MiB), so I'm not really sure it can get better in that regard.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
56e8f5d998b5de396071ff730fb2e03a.jpg
My sides...

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Why does Jafar sound like such a dweeb? I sound more intimidating that that shit. What the fuck.

Look at this, fixed to something half way presentable in 10 minutes:

I don't agree that they should have kept the original Genies facial proportions but they should have done something. Having Wills face on that buffer body( that could be Wills actual physique ) something about the proportions don't match.

Well, Williams was an actual comic and pretty timeless. Will Smith's height of his career "high energy" is very much a 90s energy and vibe, which frankly doesn't really work nowadays (see Independence Day and MiB), so I'm not really sure it can get better in that regard.

Come on. I love and miss Robin Williams but his comedic presence was very much of his era. I tried to watch Mrs. Doubtfire last weekend and his manic high energy impressions schtick is super 90s( basically him doing effeminate voices, white rapper, Mexican maid, looney toons and topical movie characters from the 90's) He's a better actor than Smith but his persona is just as dated.

Last edited:

Howdyjacker

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Some of the worst cgi I've ever seen and that's saying alot.

Looks like they just crayola crayon will Smith and called it a day with a mishappen body that don't match the head.

And the blue color is godawful. Pick a better shade of blue pls

And Jafar.... Smh

It's a no from me dawg

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
I'm fine with Will Smith as Genie. Jafar is a different story...unless he sounds more sinister later on, I can't handle that voice.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I just watched the original last night with the family. Absolute classic.

Saw this. What hot trash is this!? Jaffar sounds like a happy kid and genie, what the fuck.

Couldn't have done a worse job.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when everyone said the Entertainment Weekly photos were nothing to worry about? Ah lawd....

Can we go back in time and un-invent CGI?

Screen-Shot-2019-02-11-at-8.52.02-AM.png

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Disney already had the perfect Aladdin looking guy

ZYhtH.jpg

But they chose joe shmoe instead

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I will say, besides Genie and some of the CGI, the color/vibrance in other parts of the trailer (with Jasmine on screen, what I am assuming is the Prince Ali section) look vibrant and beautiful (although the beginning looks pretty uninspired), which is much more to say for the Lion King trailer. The side by side comparison with the LK trailer shows you how dull and muted that film is shaping up to be.

That said.. yeah, not going into this movie with any real confidence.

Hereafter

Dec 13, 2017
Admitting, I never like the fact that Will Smith was the Genie and Disney isn't proving me wrong.

The CGI was bad but that line delivery was even worse. So low energy and poorly paced.

Ensirius

Oct 26, 2017
This was absolutely awful
Unless they do something different I will pretend this never existed.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
Why did they do this to the genie?!

I'm not a very sentimental person but Aladdin means alot to me, especially after Robin's passing.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I've been avoiding all the live action remakes as a matter of course, so to be fair, I never intend to see this film. That said, that teaser did not look great. Jasmine appears spot-on, and Aladdin looks about right, but that was a poor Jafar and a flat-out baffling Genie.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
tumblr_ou6opsPBjS1ugjhmko2_250.gif

Movie will be worth it if it's revealed Aladdin is actually a selfish scumbag and the actual villain and Jafar was the supportive guy who was there for her all along trying to make her dreams come true.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
When is this supposed to air on the SyFy channel again?

I don't think this joke is fair to SyFy. They did a great job with "Happy!" which does have a well-realized magical blue cgi partner derived from a hand-drawn source material.

(Also they have The Magicians, which is straight-up fucking great since season 3).

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the castillian spanish version hoping for all gods that the voice of the genie was Ivan Muelas (will smith's most famous spanish voice actor, but sometimes they change his voice so I was a little scared) and thankfully its him. In fact, having watched both the spanish and the english trailer, Ivan's voice shits all over the zero energy Will Smith's portrayal has. Ivan is actually trying to channel the same spirit the spanish genie in the animated movie has (the amazing Josema Yuste, which is probably the most fondly remembered role spanish people have from the golden age of animated disney animated movies) and is no surprise he gets there only with a shout when he gets out of the lamp (that will smiths completely fails) and a fast talking phrase, becuase his range of voice is excellent, he can have a really cool guy voice (like Swayer from Lost, or Will Smith sometimes), to being stupidly normal and/or nerdy (Fry from Futurama and Zachary Levi's Chuck) to be completely stupidly bonkers (Billy in the grim adventures of Billy and mandy).

The worst part of the trailer, apart from the not so great CGI genie (i really hope the animation is what sells it, because it really has to be wonky with a lot of squatch and stretch so he feels animated) is Jafar.
WTF
Why did they do that? Thats the real shit part in the trailer. His voice in spanish is also a young guys voice (but thats understandable becuase of how it looks).

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the castillian spanish version hoping for all gods that the voice of the genie was Ivan Muelas (will smith's most famous spanish voice actor, but sometimes they change his voice so I was a little scared) and thankfully its him. In fact, having watched both the spanish and the english trailer, Ivan's voice shits all over the zero energy Will Smith's portrayal has. Ivan is actually trying to channel the same spirit the spanish genie in the animated movie has (the amazing Josema Yuste, which is probably the most fondly remembered role spanish people have from the golden age of animated disney animated movies) and is no surprise he gets there only with a shout when he gets out of the lamp (that will smiths completely fails) and a fast talking phrase, becuase his range of voice is excellent, he can have a really cool guy voice (like Swayer from Lost, or Will Smith sometimes), to being stupidly normal and/or nerdy (Fry from Futurama and Zachary Levi's Chuck) to be completely stupidly bonkers (Billy in the grim adventures of Billy and mandy).

The worst part of the trailer, apart from the not so great CGI genie (i really hope the animation is what sells it, because it really has to be wonky with a lot of squatch and stretch so he feels animated) is Jafar.
WTF
Why did they do that? Thats the real shit part in the trailer. His voice in spanish is also a young guys voice (but thats understandable becuase of how it looks).
Maybe I should wait and watch the movie with subtitles.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Hiring Guy Ritchie to direct an Aladdin movie, lol. Hollywood, what are you like.

Will seems so out of touch. Will in his prime would have been quite interesting in this role, but now? It's just embarrassing to witness.