• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
At this point just make the Genie the only animated portion of the film. Like Pete's dragon or something. Give me traditional genie design, or a cartoon, whatever. Why why why.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
How is this thread 17 pages and nobody has mentioned that Genie gives a Big Willie "WOOO!" when he comes out of the lamp LMFAO

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Immediately not liking the casting choices for Jafar or Genie. Couldn't really tell about Aladdin or Jasmine.

It's a rough one to adapt because I think the original cast is more iconic for Aladdin than any other Disney animation.

The environments looked gorgeous though.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
oFHFK1Y.jpg

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
That Will Smith remix of "Prince Ali" better be good.

The Willennium never ended. Not to me.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
You still have 3 months Disney, there is only one way to fix this. Digitally replace Will Smith with Shaq and call this movie Aladdin: The Legend of Kazaam

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
My wife and I think it looks trash tier, but the kids loved it.

Oct 25, 2017
They revealed the costumes a few months ago. She also doesn't have those large earrings. No idea why they'd remove those two iconic elements. Aladdin with an undershirt also looks off. Makes me wonder if they wanted to "desex" the movie a bit.
Just look what they did to the characters in the park the last few years.
Definitely likely
CriwJBEUkAAm4om.jpg

Once upon a time covered it up often as well but still kept the design
dd6bcc72aa65a75fb1e53c3edc12de87.jpg

Once upon a time cast was pretty good, if under used.
353364fa852141888e2a4f149a170b1d.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
How did the live action Disney trend even start? has a single one of these been any good?

What do you mean by good? They've been massively successful financially and with audiences, and have done well critically for the most part.

I want to say the first one I really remember was Cinderella, unless you're counting Alice in Wonderland.

I think the reasoning is pretty simple, put a new release of old classics, but in live action. It's a remake without being a remake, sparing them from having to justify remaking what is generally timeless animation, so it's a bit easier for people to swallow even if they compare and complain. They know they'll get people to see them if nothing else so they can talk about how inferior it is to the original, or how,what it added was good, etc., but it's still a ticket sale regardless.

It's pretty brilliant really, it certainly gets asses in the seats.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How did the live action Disney trend even start? has a single one of these been any good?

It started with Maleficent, then somebody at Disney to start remaking all the things.

The Jungle Book is the best of all these things by a solid margin, but it helps that the source material (the animated movie, not the book) isn't all that great.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It started with Maleficent, then somebody at Disney to start remaking all the things.
Disney did a live-action 101 Dalmatians in 1996......the movie even got a sequel. It's kind of strange to think they didn't attempt these live-action remakes sooner (at least with their classic-era films).

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017

The Jungle Book is the best of all these things by a solid margin, but it helps that the source material (the animated movie, not the book) isn't all that great.

Not going to lie. I liked Maleficent as it was such a different take on the character (or atleast it subverted my expectations of the character). I haven't seen The Jungle Book but this movie just looks BAD. I'd rather watch a stage play of Aladdin than this.

Oct 28, 2017
Disney really needs to step back and reassess its quality controls in the live action department. You know your live action movies are shit when John Carter is arguably one of the best movies they've put out.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Will Smith should never have took this part. Nobody should have took this part. You can retell the story of Aladdin, but as soon as you retell the DISNEY story of Aladdin, the Genie has to compete with Robin Williams, who will ALWAYS be the best.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_ou6opsPBjS1ugjhmko2_250.gif

Movie will be worth it if it's revealed Aladdin is actually a selfish scumbag and the actual villain and Jafar was the supportive guy who was there for her all along trying to make her dreams come true.

Jafar is what? 30s? He's hotter then Alladin, still young and a man with great ambition, the complete opposite of the Animated classic.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Technically, it started with Alice in wonderland.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Will Smith should never have took this part. Nobody should have took this part. You can retell the story of Aladdin, but as soon as you retell the DISNEY story of Aladdin, the Genie has to compete with Robin Williams, who will ALWAYS be the best.

It's hubris, I guess. "Surely I can do a better job than that Robin Williams guy!"

Technically, it started with Alice in wonderland.
Ah you're right.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Dafuq is the budget in any of this?

At least, say, Jungle Book was a feast for the eyes if nothing else. This looks like it'll play like Beauty and the Beast and just be a worse version of the animated movie in every way.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
There's so little in this teaser trailer that I can't form an opinion either way. I would like to have seen a singing trailer or something.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Disney did a live-action 101 Dalmatians in 1996......the movie even got a sequel. It's kind of strange to think they didn't attempt these live-action remakes sooner (at least with their classic-era films).

Enchanted was 2007. That is a legit good Disney movie. I kind of wish they did more originals like that - taking what has worked in their animated features and just moving it into the real world.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because only in recent years have they decided to milk everything as much as possible with no regard for potential damage to legacy.