• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
v7s686l31zf21.jpg

via Reddit

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
The second you see him it becomes clear you are witnessing the birth of what will be a very prevalent internet meme

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Why is Will Smith just playing himself? To be fair its only one line, but his delivery just sounded like something HE himself would say.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Actually looks like an IGN April Fool's trailer. Hell, I'd say their Zelda one they put out years ago might actually look better than this.

I mean my expectations for this garbage have been clear from the get go, but jesus even I didn't expect it to keep looking this bad.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
There's not really anything I can say that hasn't been said. I've spent the past few days reading through this thread first. Aladdin was my favorite and still is my favorite traditionally animated Disney film. (With Emperor's New Groove being close second and Tangled being my favorite CGI animated film.)

This trailer does not give me any hope. The acting is wooden, the CGI is bad. The Cave of Wonders is uninspiring. I don't like Jasmine's outfit. The music was terrible. Jafar is not Jafar at all. This movie is three months away and it's not looking good right now. I hope we end up being wrong but I dunno. I'll wait to reserve full judgement for when we get a full trailer and clips. But until then...

I just realized that guy is lying with the nails inside of him already instead of on top of them. I'm pretty sure that whole thing is painful for everybody. Including the guard who lands on him and now has a bunch of nails in his legs and ass.

There's a chance it's Jafar in disguise, like in the animated movie before. Maybe less "zany old man", but still putting on a voice?

I don't buy it. We already know the cast. That's Jafar's normal look. So they must have changed the story or something. In the original Aladdin gets arrested and put in the dungeon when he comes upon the old man who shows him how to escape. I'm guessing in the new one, Jafar offers Al a deal. Bring him the lamp and he gets to go free. Not sure I like that change but we'll see. Frankly I'd have been happy with a shot for shot remake, but I can't imagine Smith trying to imitate Williams and all his improvisations. Or, I guess all the now outdated references to '80s and '90s media.

So.. why is Jafar dressed.. as Jafar in the cave scene?
My theory is posted above. I'd rather it be the original way though.

Have you guys seen Bright
I have. I enjoyed it for what it was, even with all its glaring flaws.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Will Smith's face seems to move independently of the Greek oil wrestler it's been attached to, but I'm more concerned by Jafar being a handsome 35 year-old with a tenor voice that's sweet as honey. What were they thinking. They fucked up Gaston, too.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Uh... I think y'all are crazy. I think Genie is perfect as Will Smith. If I were to imagine a live action version of Genie, what is portrayed in that trailer would be it. I think Will Smith is going to hit it out of the park.

The acting from Jafar and Aladdin though... uh... not sure.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Genie in the cartoon was basically just Robin Williams as well which makes me wonder if they'll even try to have the out of time references and what not as well.
Yeah that's fair. I think it can be justified if they lean into the out of time thing. But overall that trailer just made me kind of feel cringe about the whole thing.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't buy it. We already know the cast. That's Jafar's normal look. So they must have changed the story or something. In the original Aladdin gets arrested and put in the dungeon when he comes upon the old man who shows him how to escape. I'm guessing in the new one, Jafar offers Al a deal. Bring him the lamp and he gets to go free. Not sure I like that change but we'll see. Frankly I'd have been happy with a shot for shot remake, but I can't imagine Smith trying to imitate Williams and all his improvisations. Or, I guess all the now outdated references to '80s and '90s media.

My theory is posted above. I'd rather it be the original way though.
I mean the only way this makes any sense is if the story is changed, and I suspect it will be something like this.

The original is far better. I think it makes less sense for Aladdin to trust the Big Evil Asshole, which is why the disguise existed in the first place.

It makes the betrayal make less sense for Aladdin.