• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mena Massoud, the Egyptian-Canadian actor who played Aladdin in the recent Disney live-action remake, has said he hasn't had a single audition since its release.

Massoud told the Daily Beast: "I'm kind of tired of staying quiet about it … I want people to know that it's not always dandelions and roses when you're doing something like Aladdin. 'He must have made millions. He must be getting all these offers.' It's none of those things. I haven't had a single audition since Aladdin came out."
Massoud added: "It's like, I'm sitting here being like, OK, Aladdin just hit $1 billion. Can I at least get an audition? I'm not expecting you to be like, here's Batman! But can I just get in the room? Can you just give me a chance? So it's not always what you think."

The actor ascribed the problem to his lack of experience in the industry, as well as the negative effects of starring in a family blockbuster. "I feel like I'm going to be overlooked and underestimated for a long time because I am a young actor. I've been doing this for 10 years, but to a lot of people, Aladdin's the first thing they've seen me in. So I think I'm going to be viewed that way for a long time. I'm going to have to work at chipping away at that."

However, Massoud has been given a major role in the Hulu TV series, Reprisal, which he secured before Aladdin was released.

Pretty surprising in this day and age of so much content being made that you'd think a star of a recent billion dollar Disney movie wouldn't at least get an audition for anything.

Thoughts?

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
You would think he'd at least be getting in the room but he's also the star of a billion dollar movie that nobody will care about very soon, if they even still do. It didn't make a billion dollars because he's a great actor. It made a billion dollars because it's Disney formulaic crap.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He looked very dry in the trailers but I ended up enjoying him quite a bit in the movie. It's a shame he's been treated this way as I'd be down to see him in more stuff.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, this doesn't surprise me at all. Hollywood only pays lip service to diversity just like every other corporation.

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
Rami Malek and Riz Ahmed have done well but it is pretty hard to find someone from the Middle East or who is a Muslim securing big role in the Entertainment industry.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought he was great. He should link up with Michael b jordan who has a production company specifically for diversity and POC.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
My man needs to go out and start hustling. He can't expect as a minority actor for the phones to start ringing just because he starred in a billion dollar Disney film.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He has kinda middling in it, but there is a shitload of mediocre white actors getting tons of work after consecutive flops.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Aladdin was a Disney/Will Smith film not a Mena Massoud film. Yes it must be disheartening that he's not reaped benefits of its success but with all respect I can't imagine many people went to see the film because he was in it.

Unfortunately there's still a huge amount of work to be done to give minority groups a fair crack of the whip regardless of the marketing behind a film.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's insane. He was fantastic as Aladdin. So charismatic.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Hollywood doesn't give a shit about diversity. There was no way around hiring middle-eastern actors for Aladdin, but they have no problem otherwise shoving those groups back out the door once they hit their diversity quota.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aladdin was a Disney/Will Smith film not a Mena Massoud film. Yes it must be disheartening that he's not reaped benefits of its success but with all respect I can't imagine many people went to see the film because he was in it.

Unfortunately there's still a huge amount of work to be done to give minority groups a fair crack of the whip regardless of the marketing behind a film.
Yeah, he wasn't the highlight of this movie unfortunately. Will Smith and Princess Jasmine definitely stole the show, and Mena's performance was somewhat low impact compared to theirs. Great movie anyway!

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, he wasn't the highlight of this movie unfortunately. Will Smith and Princess Jasmine definitely stole the show, and Mena's performance was somewhat low impact compared to theirs. Great movie anyway!
Jasmine, really? Other than that super out of place musical number during the palace scene, I'd put her on the level of Aladdin's actor. Will Smith was the only person who surprised me, especially having to be compared to Robin Williams

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Well he's not white, so Hollywood's probably gonna ignore him the way they always seem to do with minority actors.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shame. He played the role as well as anyone could've.

I'm sure he'll break through though, which is an insane thing to say about someone who starred in a blockbuster lol

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
I am sure they would love to cast him as a master terrorist in next season's Jack Ryan!

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tbf plenty of 1 billion dollar movies had star whose career didn't take off. Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harry potter sorry forgot his name, etc. not saying his wont. Also unfortunately most roles 95% i would say are still written with caucasian in mind because most writers are caucasian. I wish more colored folks would get a chance to have their writing Turned to movies.

OP
OP
litebrite

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tbf plenty of 1 billion dollar movies had star whose career didn't take off. Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harry potter sorry forgot his name, etc. not saying his wont. Also unfortunately most roles 95% i would say are still written with caucasian in mind because most writers are caucasian. I wish more colored folks would get a chance to have their writing Turned to movies.
The industry is much different today with the massive amount of content getting made for theaters, TV, and streaming.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You would think he'd at least be getting in the room but he's also the star of a billion dollar movie that nobody will care about very soon, if they even still do. It didn't make a billion dollars because he's a great actor. It made a billion dollars because it's Disney formulaic crap.
Yeah . . . I don't think that's what is happening here. Think of all the bland white guys they try to put over, time and time again.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017

Daniel Radcliffe is in a lot of movies and on a lot of theatre productions.

Just because he's not in popcorn movies like a new Harry Potter or this forum's sacred cow of Feige, doesn't mean he doesn't get work.

And him not being a leading man has probably more to do with him being very short. You can fake Tom Cruise or Al Pacino 5'7" but not with Radcliffe's 5'4" or whatever.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed his performance in the film a lot. But in any case, I guess this just highlights the lack of diversity for certain roles within Hollywood. It isn't like he suits the look of terrorist 10,351, so I guess it's harder for them to find a role for him.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like this part slipped in at the end

"However, Massoud has been given a major role in the Hulu TV series, Reprisal, which he secured before Aladdin was released."

Poor guy

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think much of him in the movie and wouldn't be surprised if casting directors didn't either.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It says a lot that people talk about how he didn't steal the movie with his performance or anything, but they don't say the same about mediocre white actors.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nIYgI3X.png

Today I learned $2 million net worth isn't rich.

I'm fully aware those things tend to be off. ( ͡ಠ ͜ʖ ͡ಠ)

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
POC actor: "I don't get calls, maybe Hollywood is kinda racist?"
era: "well you got 2 million dollars lol shut up"

🙄

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
Was watching Alita Battle Angel yesterday. Jai Courtney somehow still getting jobs and this guy can't.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
POC actor: "I don't get calls, maybe Hollywood is kinda racist?"
era: "well you got 2 million dollars lol shut up"

🙄
🙄 My post was geared at the fact that people are saying $2 million dollars isn't considered rich.

My viewpoint on the actual topic - I thought he was bad in the movie. Everyone's performance in the film except Smith's was on the level of Disney Channel original movie. That said, it's insane he's not getting auditions though. Like others have stated, tons of white actors who are much worse get work all the time. This guy was in a film that grossed a billion, he should at least be getting roles just to ride on the fact people have seen him in that movie. At the very least, The Hallmark channel should be hiring him.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
A billion dollar movie where you weren't the biggest star or even had a breakout performance isn't going to cause them to break your door down for offers. Doubly so for poc. He needs an agent that's out there selling him and he needs to be out there husling too. I would argue that he'll have work twice as hard at it now.

Edit: Sometimes it feels like success if a burden on poc.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Rami Malek is the kind of brown dude who looks ambiguous enough to pass off as a white character if the show/movie needs it (Mr Robot for example where his Dad and sister are white). But if story needs it, he can be a brown dude like in Bohemian Rhapsody. Actors like him don't have the same issues as someone who's a lot less ambiguous looking and clearly brown like Massoud. It also helps that Malek had a breakout role in Mr. Robot and is a bonafide actor, Massoud hasn't really had a breakout role (But then Jai Courtney is still getting roles, so obviously talent isn't important).

Then again we have actors who are like Riz Ahmed, who obviously can't pass off as a white character, getting roles. But the dude has been around for a while now and only recently started to appear more frequently, and he isn't getting leading roles or even significant roles like Malek.

He can get roles but he'll need to try for it harder along with an agent that pushes hard, it's unfair but that's the reality of being a brown man in Hollywood.

Last edited:

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I like this part slipped in at the end

"However, Massoud has been given a major role in the Hulu TV series, Reprisal, which he secured before Aladdin was released."

Poor guy
Doesn't take away from his point though, he got the role before Aladdin came out. He hasn't gotten any auditions since.

Acting doesn't lend itself well to job security as you might imagine. If he's got a gig on TV that's great, but he'll do what, a few months of shooting and then what?

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
This reminds me of when Bobby Lee saw Steven Yeun at an audition.

Yeun has been getting roles in indie and South Korea stuff though, so at least he has that.