• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Are you serious with this?
The most paid Hollywood actor is a black man and we have plenty of "Non white actors" getting major roles in several movies.
I guess Mahershala Ali, Idriss Elba, Will Smith, Samuel L. Jackson, Eddie Murphy and Laurence Fishburne to name a few does not count?

Maybe his acting was not good an no one cares?
These are exceptions to the rule. A few actors hasn't solved racism. Stop bringing up meritocracy, don't work like that.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
The actor ascribed the problem to his lack of experience in the industry, as well as the negative effects of starring in a family blockbuster. "I feel like I'm going to be overlooked and underestimated for a long time because I am a young actor. I've been doing this for 10 years, but to a lot of people, Aladdin's the first thing they've seen me in. So I think I'm going to be viewed that way for a long time. I'm going to have to work at chipping away at that."

However, Massoud has been given a major role in the Hulu TV series, Reprisal, which he secured before Aladdin was released.

I mean acting is tough. Nobody is waiting for you and there are floods of talented good looking young actors out there. At least he landed two roles.

Oct 26, 2017
These are exceptions to the rule. A few actors hasn't solved racism. Stop bringing up meritocracy, don't work like that.

I didn't say they solved racism at all.
But putting the blame only on the skin color when probably his acting was not good enough to land a new role after Aladdin is not something that i'd say.

Racism might not be only one cause, but i don't think he is not getting roles only because he's brown.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The most paid Hollywood actor is a black man and we have plenty of "Non white actors" getting major roles in several movies.
I guess Mahershala Ali, Idriss Elba, Will Smith, Samuel L. Jackson, Eddie Murphy and Laurence Fishburne to name a few does not count?

Those are a few actors and while they are non white, they are all black.
There's a higher level of acceptance for them than a brown actor, be it due to african americans being the biggest minority in states or be it because of something else.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Not being in a single audition is really surprising but it's not like he was some kind of ground breaking actor anyway, he's pretty average at best, nothing special but using Aladin as a benchmark is ridiculous, anyone could have played him and make the bilion anyway.

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I thought he was just ho hum in Aladdin.

But regardless he was still a major character in one of the biggest movies of the year and no auditions, seriously? Fucking shameful industry.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I don't have a lot of sympathy for rich people, good thing this story is about the long term impact of institutional racism on art and entertainment.

If the bad hemsworth brother who's name I bet none of you remember can headline a few films a year then this guy should probably be allowed in the room for auditions.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Can't tell if this post was satirical

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have a lot of sympathy for rich people, good thing this story is about the long term impact of institutional racism on art and entertainment.

If the bad hemsworth brother who's name I bet none of you remember can headline a few films a year then this guy should probably be allowed in the room for auditions.
THIS
mediocre white man way worse than Mena and with less sucessful movies got way more chances, that´s the story, hollywood is still deeply fucked and racist place

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not surprised at this nor would I be surprised if Jafar didn't get any auditions. Smith and Scott were the good parts. A whole new world was basically displaying the vast difference in their talents
The actor who played Jafar doesn't need to audition probably. The dude is one of the most highly sought after actors in the Netherlands.

Sure, his foray into Hollywood failed hard, but the guy is in a lot of high profile Dutch films. Just this year he was the male lead in the Dutch Oscar submission.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Lets be fair, he's got a point. Paul Walker's acting was worse than his in the original Fast and Furious yet he became a star regardless

Oct 2, 2018
thing is TAYLOR KITCH (?) is a mega bomba star and still gets roles.

Because he's a white guy in hollywood. There's so many bad actors. The guy who played the brother in GeoStorm seriously is the WORST actor in a major hollywood movie I've seen. Scott Eastwood is also a terrible actor.

Mena should have a new role in some show. Hollywood is leaving money on the table not casting him..

That said, Dev Patel gets a lot of roles. He's great though and has terrific acting chop. Maybe Mena's agent sucks!

OP
OP
litebrite

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What a terrible post.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
If he had white skin he would have no problem getting auditions at least and probably some OK supporting roles. There's not many roles for someone who looks like him in Hollywood, lets be real. He's "too ethnic" looking.

If he had white skin, he'd get chance after chance. Numerous (if not infinite) passes for fucking up, and continued bullshit defenses from numerous posters in this very thread

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
If he had white skin, he'd get chance after chance. Numerous (if not infinite) passes for fucking up, and continued bullshit defenses from numerous posters in this very thread
That's bullshit and you know it. If you fuck up in Hollywood, regardless of the color of your skin, you're done for.
You can't just fuck up, like say choke a female Paramount Pictures executive, and still get roles in the business, especially in big movies.

Oct 26, 2017
That's bullshit and you know it. If you fuck up in Hollywood, regardless of the color of your skin, you're done for.
You can't just fuck up, like say choke a female Paramount Pictures executive, and still get roles in the business, especially in big movies.
Is this sarcasm?

The actor you're talking about still shows up in major studio films and I'm sure still gets auditions.

Last edited:

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
if he had white skin he wouldnt have been the lead in aladdin and we wouldnt be having this thread

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
There simply aren't many movies being made with brown people in leads. The problem starts at the screenwriting level.

KingFox

May 17, 2018
I'm not surprised at this nor would I be surprised if Jafar didn't get any auditions. Smith and Scott were the good parts. A whole new world was basically displaying the vast difference in their talents

Marwan Kenzari, who played Jafar, has two new upcoming movies in the works. Numan Acar, who played the palace head guard Hakim even has four, including the new Terrence Malick.

Sucks for Massoud not getting any right now, but that's show business I guess.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
There simply aren't many movies being made with brown people in leads. The problem starts at the screenwriting level.
Nah the problem is at the casting level. If a writer describes a character as a grizzled, old, white man with one eye the skin color is irrelevant to the character in most situations. Ignore the writer during casting and you got Sam L. playing Nick Fury. Now a story about reconstruction era in the South maybe sticking to a writer's assigned races is important but lead roles don't always have to go to white people just because it's in the script.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Yup. $2m CND isn't a lot when you factor in things like cost of living, housing, etc, it doesn't stretch very far.

Throw in that his earning potential is severely limited too due to lack of roles and opportunities.
Your joking right? Unless you like to spend money on hookers and blow or live in the most expensive regions and lifestyle of any given country 2 million is enough live a life of luxury. Even if you only placed it into a low risk investments and only gained 5% interest per annum that's 100k per year's worth of interest. Most people don't even earn anywhere close to 100k per year working.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
I am not saying Denzel is where is he because of nepotism (he probably thrives now because of his connections), but that there are people of his acting calibre getting very little to zero work.

this is all jobs everywhere. Referrals and getting people you know jobs happen all of the time. There are people in all sorts of professions who don't deserve the jobs they have yet they do.

OP
OP
litebrite

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah the problem is at the casting level. If a writer describes a character as a grizzled, old, white man with one eye the skin color is irrelevant to the character in most situations. Ignore the writer during casting and you got Sam L. playing Nick Fury. Now a story about reconstruction era in the South maybe sticking to a writer's assigned races is important but lead roles don't always have to go to white people just because it's in the script.
To be fair, Nick Fury in the Ultimate Universe was modeled after Sam L. first, and Sam L. was going to sue but inquired Marvel about it and Marvel told him they wanted him to play Nick Fury in their movies. Otherwise, I agree.