• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His performance was pretty forgettable, but I can understand why he'd be frustrated. How much did he make for his part in the movie?

Apr 21, 2018
On one hand, Aladdin wasn't a very good movie imo. It was a banal remake and forgettable performances.

On the other hand, people keep giving Charlie Hunning work.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
He was easily the worst part of the film. I don't say this a lot about actors, because they're usually just mediocre or inoffensive, but for half of the movie it was like he was acting to a wall. Incredible wooden in a noticeable way. Dampened my enjoyment of the whole film. This almost never happens with films for me, but at some points I was actually surprised that they went with some of these takes.

I want my fellow brown folk to get some skin in the game, but this ain't it. I totally understand any casting agent that saw that performance with little confidence. Kind of wrong to assume that just because you were in this huge Disney live action remake, that that fact alone would create security for you. Hope he gets work soon, but IMO he got his big shot and missed it.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw Aladdin. He was good in it. Everyone was. The movie sucked because of other reasons.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Hollywood doesn't give a shit about diversity. There was no way around hiring middle-eastern actors for Aladdin, but they have no problem otherwise shoving those groups back out the door once they hit their diversity quota.

Ahh but they did. Jasmine wasn't Arabic at all. She was half-white and half-Indian.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tbf plenty of 1 billion dollar movies had star whose career didn't take off. Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harry potter sorry forgot his name, etc. not saying his wont. Also unfortunately most roles 95% i would say are still written with caucasian in mind because most writers are caucasian. I wish more colored folks would get a chance to have their writing Turned to movies.
Daniel Radcliffe has been in a bunch of stuff, I'm pretty sure he has no desire to do blockbusters anymore. Carrie Fisher had drug problems, that's a big reason why her career tanked. Mark Hamill has had a long and successful career in voice acting.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
the dude was the weakest link of the 3 main leads, him and jafar were absolutely the most lifeless parts of the whole movie. i mean yeh holllywood hates minorities, but you didnt do yourself any favors

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
He's not much of an actor but obviously that doesn't stop white people from getting a shot, people like Jai Courtney keep getting work despite having no talent at all.

Most of Hollywood only pretends to care about diversity, they want to be seen as caring about the issue but don't actually want to change it. Why would they? The more opportunities they give to non-white talent the fewer opportunities there will be for their own white children, spouses, mistresses, friends etc. That's all they care about.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Rami Malek is the kind of brown dude who looks ambiguous enough to pass off as a white character if the show/movie needs it (Mr Robot for example where his Dad and sister are white). But if story needs it, he can be a brown dude like in Bohemian Rhapsody. Actors like him don't have the same issues as someone who's a lot less ambiguous looking and clearly brown like Massoud. It also helps that Malek had a breakout role in Mr. Robot and is a bonafide actor, Massoud hasn't really had a breakout role (But then Jai Courtney is still getting roles, so obviously talent isn't important).

He's still brown in Mr Robot.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like he should get a new agent.

Then again as far as Aladdin goes that movie relied entirely on Will Smith carrying it on his back.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Jesus, ERA.

He is rich! He wasn't that great.

The guy has a point though. There needs to be more representation in Hollywood. Him being 'rich' or not being the best actor doesn't change that point.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
and yet, jai courtney and sam worthington continue to act despite being stock footage bland

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nIYgI3X.png

Today I learned $2 million net worth isn't rich.

I'm fully aware those things tend to be off. ( ͡ಠ ͜ʖ ͡ಠ)
Gee, you think.

I know you snipped off where the source for the net worth is for a joke, but come on man.

XgtFvGn.png

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
He wasn't very good in the movie but that's hardly a qualifier for blockbuster roles and it's pretty surprising he didn't at least get auditions. Dude is handsome as hell and was in a $1 billion movie.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
the dude was the weakest link of the 3 main leads, him and jafar were absolutely the most lifeless parts of the whole movie. i mean yeh holllywood hates minorities, but you didnt do yourself any favors
1. This movie didnt make a billion dollars because of this guy.

2. He was absolutely awful in it.
I didn't think much of him in the movie and wouldn't be surprised if casting directors didn't either.
It's not a meritocracy, you should have figured this out by now. You're conveniently forgetting all the mediocre-to-bad white actors having no problems with getting work after big movies.

Pickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The movie didnt do him any favors. It seemed like a B-grade movie carried by Will Smith alone

CaughtBeing

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Downplaying racism in hollywood, because he is not a good actor? Seriously...

Avatar... Sam worthington kept getting roles, and he is a shit actor.

Speaking objectively, both movies made billions, why is Sam able to get roles while Mena cannot?

Logically, Mena is the dude from Aladdin, which would get audience in the theatre. The movie made billions as him being the central character. His fame alone should be able to at least get some semblance of chance. I would milk Mena for his fame until he become irrelevant, like people did with Sam being in Avatar.

Hollywood was and is still racist, with sense of elitism.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Bottom line is most roles are either for a specific or vaguely described minority, or default to being a white person. Unless a role is literally something like "brown guy" he's unlikely to get an audition. "Handsome young guy" roles probably have loads of mediocre white actors who get auditions. He's not "handsome young guy" to Hollywood, he's "brown guy who is handsome."

That's why mediocre white actors have illustrious careers, and for minorities only a small handful do, and that's mostly from letting themselves be type casted. There's room for 2-3 "Mexican looking gangster guys" in Hollywood for instance but room for dozens of "kinda tough looking white guys".. hence why there are dozens of Jai Courtney like careers out there and only one Noel Gugliemi (and nobody knows his name.)

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
He was easily the worst part of the film. I don't say this a lot about actors, because they're usually just mediocre or inoffensive, but for half of the movie it was like he was acting to a wall. Incredible wooden in a noticeable way. Dampened my enjoyment of the whole film. This almost never happens with films for me, but at some points I was actually surprised that they went with some of these takes.

I want my fellow brown folk to get some skin in the game, but this ain't it. I totally understand any casting agent that saw that performance with little confidence. Kind of wrong to assume that just because you were in this huge Disney live action remake, that that fact alone would create security for you. Hope he gets work soon, but IMO he got his big shot and missed it.
Exactly. I haven't seen the movie, but his acting in the trailer single-handedly turned me off the movie (apart from the awful Jafar). He seemed to be able to capture none of Aladdin's rougish charm and mischief, nor his sincerity. On the other hand, Naomi Scott nailed the role of a Princess stifled by her cloistered life. She lived Jasmine. And all of this was clear from the trailer itself.

Yes Hollywood is racist, and yes, getting roles isn't easy for POC actors. But being mediocre doesn't help.

Oct 28, 2017
Rami Malek is the kind of brown dude who looks ambiguous enough to pass off as a white character if the show/movie needs it (Mr Robot for example where his Dad and sister are white). But if story needs it, he can be a brown dude like in Bohemian Rhapsody. Actors like him don't have the same issues as someone who's a lot less ambiguous looking and clearly brown like Massoud. It also helps that Malek had a breakout role in Mr. Robot and is a bonafide actor, Massoud hasn't really had a breakout role (But then Jai Courtney is still getting roles, so obviously talent isn't important).

Then again we have actors who are like Riz Ahmed, who obviously can't pass off as a white character, getting roles. But the dude has been around for a while now and only recently started to appear more frequently, and he isn't getting leading roles or even significant roles like Malek.

He can get roles but he'll need to try for it harder along with an agent that pushes hard, it's unfair but that's the reality of being a brown man in Hollywood.

And Sam Esmail who created Mr Robot is also of Egyptian descent. I'm pretty sure most white showrunners wouldn't have given Rami Malek the lead role, just because it didn't strictly require for him to be a POC

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The takes "He's rich so why should we care," are embarrassing. Do you also apply the same logic to, say, Colin Kaepernick -- who made ~$50m in 4 years in the NFL and currently has a multi-million dollar Nike contract? He's rich, so why should we care about what he has to say about discrimination, right?

The bias in Hollywood is showing. As an Egyptian actor, I'm sure TV shows are eager to portray him as a nameless terrorist in a new season of Jack Ryan or some shit, but then they're like "oh, wait, this guy was Aladdin ...? Fuck ... we can't make Aladdin Abu Bakr Al-Bagdhadi in the adaptation of Conan: American Dog..."

He might be rich so maybe you don't give a shit about him, but he's only getting this interview and able to explain bias against him as an actor because he's rich. There's thousands of Middle Eastern actors who are also being passed over for roles AND aren't being given interviews to talk about it.

(Casting side-note: Chris Pratt has been cast as Conan the dog)

Silly Buck

Oct 28, 2017
The takes "He's rich so why should we care," are embarrassing. Do you also apply the same logic to, say, Colin Kaepernick -- who made ~$50m in 4 years in the NFL and currently has a multi-million dollar Nike contract? He's rich, so why should we care about what he has to say about discrimination, right?

The bias in Hollywood is showing. As an Egyptian actor, I'm sure TV shows are eager to portray him as a nameless terrorist in a new season of Jack Ryan or some shit, but then they're like "oh, wait, this guy was Aladdin ...? Fuck..."

He might be rich so maybe you don't give a shit about him, but he's only getting this interview and able to explain bias against him as an actor because he's rich. There's thousands of Middle Eastern actors who are also being passed over for roles AND aren't being given interviews to talk about it.

The bias in Hollywood IS showing. The bias in here on the other hand... Sheesh
Warriors for humanity until you have money.
I feel for the guy. I know I'd feel exactly the same in his shoes.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the Hulu series will lead to something. I thought he was decent in Aladdin.

But yeah, a lot of Hollywood is racist.