• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Are you calling him a liar?

6+ months is a long time to go without auditions.

Factually, during and after Aladdin wrapped he received auditions and landed gigs. He was in two films and a television series in this calendar year. What I pull from those facts is that it makes zero sense he didn't get a single audition after one of his project made $1 billion. Most likely, his agent is filtering out more far more opportunities than before.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
" However, Massoud has been given a major role in the Hulu TV series, Reprisal, which he secured before Aladdin was released. "
Wait, so he's got a job? Its not like he's got no work like the 1000's of other actors who werent in Aladdin.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guy's not rich... in fact, most actors are not. They are often paid small amounts, at scale, and residuals aren't what they used to be.

You shouldn't feel bad for rich people, but you're a bit misguided to think that he's rich.

Why shouldn't you feel bad for rich people? Being rich doesnt solve all life's problems, not does being rich mean you're inherently a bad person. Basing sympathy on a persons net worth is a really weird and shitty thing to do.

Oct 27, 2017
Factually, during and after Aladdin wrapped he received auditions and landed gigs. He was in two films and a television series in this calendar year. What I pull from those facts is that it makes zero sense he didn't get a single audition after one of his project made $1 billion. Most likely, his agent is filtering out more far more opportunities than before.
Yea dude, that's kinda why we have a thread about it with 150+ replies. It DOESN'T make sense.

Whether his agent is filter or not, not getting a single AUDITION in 5 months after being in a blockbuster is crazy.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Why shouldn't you feel bad for rich people? Being rich doesnt solve all life's problems, not does being rich mean you're inherently a bad person. Basing sympathy on a persons net worth is a really weird and shitty thing to do.
Let me be more specific, as was my original intent... you shouldn't feel bad for rich people, if they are complaining about economic opportunity and money. Wasn't addressing all of life's other challenges. In which case, you can be sympathetic for people.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tbf plenty of 1 billion dollar movies had star whose career didn't take off. Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harry potter sorry forgot his name, etc. not saying his wont. Also unfortunately most roles 95% i would say are still written with caucasian in mind because most writers are caucasian. I wish more colored folks would get a chance to have their writing Turned to movies.
Mark Hamill had a pretty successful voice-acting career, so he may not have been known for live-action but he still had success elsewhere.

Lugia

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks.

Even If he doesn't get any work in Hollywood, I'm sure he's getting a lot of offers in Egypt. He can speak arabic, and the film industry is quite big there.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Was watching Alita Battle Angel yesterday. Jai Courtney somehow still getting jobs and this guy can't.

LOL, I was just about to post the same thing.

Several years ago, we, collectively as a society, told Hollywood "stop trying to make Jai Courtney happen", but Hollywood was like "but he's so fetch!".

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao "scene stealing". Are they for real.

Lol. I don't even remember the dude in the damn thing. What'd he have, ten minutes of screen time? Maybe? Seeeeeiiitt...

I can buy him not having any auditions for roles, especially leads, because casting agencies and people are the gatekeepers on all that and they barely shoot a glance at minorities as is, much less an Arabic one.

And sure, maybe the agents are to blame, but that's not really how it works. I'm sure they are putting him up for things but if nobody is looking...well there it is.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Well, he's brown. Unless there's another big movie where studios are forced to putbrown people in them for fear of backlash, he's sadly fucked. 1 huge blockbuster for an unknown brown actor isn't enough, unless they're known already for something outside of film.

Fucking insane.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm not surprised at this nor would I be surprised if Jafar didn't get any auditions. Smith and Scott were the good parts. A whole new world was basically displaying the vast difference in their talents

Deleted member 3542

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rumor (TAKE WITH A HUGE GRAIN OF SALT) is that he is turning down certain kinds of roles outright instead of even trying to audition for them:

Also... he just wasn't a very good actor in the film.

As I posted in the other thread, the spinoff with the obnoxious white character is complete bullshit. No one liked that character. You couldn't convince me anyone liked him.

That isn't about Mena Massoud, though. It's some garbage TMZ-reject article about Rami Malek written by someone who's making shit up.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
That isn't about Mena Massoud, though. It's some garbage TMZ-reject article about Rami Malek written by someone who's making shit up.
Um, did you read it at all. It's not about Rami Malek. He's just mentioned because he's also an actor who got started later on (meaning late 20s/30s) and was actually successful unlike Massoud.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
It's not about Malek. What TITLE CHARACTER in a KIDS-ORIENTED film did he play?

This was his first big role and he's already in his late twenties. It takes to time to build a career and he got a late start.

Malek is 38 years old.

Deleted member 3542

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Um, did you read it at all. It's not about Rami Malek. He's just mentioned because he's also an actor who got started later on (meaning late 20s/30s) and was actually successful unlike Massoud.

Ok, then it's just a shit article with unattributed quotes by some hack who doesn't know shit. Sorry.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Rumor (TAKE WITH A HUGE GRAIN OF SALT) is that he is turning down certain kinds of roles outright instead of even trying to audition for them:

Also... he just wasn't a very good actor in the film.

As I posted in the other thread, the spinoff with the obnoxious white character is complete bullshit. No one liked that character. You couldn't convince me anyone liked him.
How do you even find this website?

Bringing up height as an issue......LOL

In a world where Tom Cruise is a leading man height has never been an issue.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry though, the one white guy in the film gets to get his own spinoff

Lol. I wasn't a big fan of Massoud, but holy shit, giving Prince Anders, a dude the only reason I remember was because I commented "of course Disney threw in a white guy into this movie" a new series is amaaaazing.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, then it's just a shit article with unattributed quotes by some hack who doesn't know shit. Sorry.
It's a blind item site. They aren't going to have attributed quotes. That's why I said "rumor" and "HUGE GRAIN OF SALT."

Fwiw a lot of their items turn out to be true, but not always of course.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's a blind item site. They aren't going to have attributed quotes. That's why I said "rumor" and "HUGE GRAIN OF SALT."

Fwiw a lot of their items turn out to be true, but not always of course.

You posted that and noted yourself in giant caps "TAKE WITH A HUGE GRAIN OF SALT."

So why post it at all? Why is there such an attempt by some people in this thread to call Massoud a liar?

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
You posted that and noted yourself in giant caps "TAKE WITH A HUGE GRAIN OF SALT."

So why post it at all? Why is there such an attempt by some people in this thread to call Massoud a liar?
Sorry, if I'm causing so much drama with this I'll just delete it. FWIW it doesn't call him a liar. It says he isn't getting auditions right in the post. The blind is claiming the reasons given are why he isn't getting auditions.

Ogre

Mar 26, 2018
This reminds me of when Bobby Lee saw Steven Yeun at an audition.

Yeun has been getting roles in indie and South Korea stuff though, so at least he has that.

This is bananas. Steven Yeun has a crazy resume right now. Literally, the man can do any role - and has! - and he's reading for bit parts. Imagine going from being the lead in Mayhem with Samara Weaving, or coming from a stellar performance in a critically acclaimed film like Burning, and reading for Stoner Guy #2 in rando Hollywood comedy.

Fuuuuuck that.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
This is bananas. Steven Yeun has a crazy resume right now. Literally, the man can do any role - and has! - and he's reading for bit parts. Imagine going from being the lead in Mayhem with Samara Weaving, or coming from a stellar performance in a critically acclaimed film like Burning, and reading for Stoner Guy #2 in rando Hollywood comedy.

Fuuuuuck that.

I think what Bobby's talking about happened before he started getting indie/South Korean roles.

Still sucks that he had to read for bit parts after The Walking Dead though.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Laughed out loud when I saw the headline. I didn't care for Massoud in the film but Magnussen's character was totally forgettable lmao

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Tbf plenty of 1 billion dollar movies had star whose career didn't take off. Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harry potter sorry forgot his name, etc. not saying his wont. Also unfortunately most roles 95% i would say are still written with caucasian in mind because most writers are caucasian. I wish more colored folks would get a chance to have their writing Turned to movies.

Yeah, but look at something like Avatar and how Hollywood tried, again and again, to make what's his name into a star. Taylor Kitsch got film after film served up for him, even after he delivered bomb after bomb (Battleship, John Carter, etc). With Middle Eastern actors Hollywood is like, "we'll maybe call you when we've got another terrorist/oil sheikh/period piece role for you, or you know we might just cast a Latin/South Asian person for that role who knows ;)" And if it's Ridley Scott he'll just shrug and go "no one would have given me money if I cast Muhammed so-and-so for a lead role in Exodus."

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
He plays a white guy. His sister and dad were white. His mother most likely Italian in the show.
Vaishnavi Sharma looks Italian to you?

Half of the side cast are either Egyptian or Indian. Sam Esmail cast him a brown mother on purpose. Yes, they could have done better with Darlene, but Elliot is definitely brown.

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
Stating a comment like that in Hollywood is a sure fire way of not getting job I'm Hollywood especially since it's been 5 months since his last gig.

Good for him getting a TV show tho

Monkey_Riah

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Vaishnavi Sharma looks Italian to you?

Half of the side cast are either Egyptian or Indian. Sam Esmail cast him a brown mother on purpose. Yes, they could have done better with Darlene, but Elliot is definitely brown.
Yes she can pass for European (Bulgarian, Romanian, South East European). Okay maybe not Italian. Just look at the sister and the dad. Unless I miss something in the story itself, nothing points at them being Brown.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Yes she can pass for European (Bulgarian, Romanian, South East European). Okay maybe not Italian. Just look at the sister and the dad. Unless I miss something in the story itself, nothing points at them being Brown.
You realize mixed-raced families exist? There doesn't have to be a story reason for it. Rami Malek's and Sam Esmail's ethnicities have been talking points for the series since it started.

3 out of 4 actors in the family make total sense as a mixed family. They just flubbed Darlene.

Monkey_Riah

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
You realize mixed-raced families exist? There doesn't have to be a story reason for it. Rami Malek's and Sam Esmail's ethnicities have been talking points for the series since it started.
I'll take your word for it. I prefer that he is brown but I just didn't see that from watching the show.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
The racism coming from some posters in this thread has been marinated to perfection.

The default being white needs to stop in Hollywood. I hate that minorities have to work twice as hard to get half as far. Especially when you have to deal with white people on message boards talking about how you're a liar when you bring up your struggles.