• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
I already had assumed they probably did stuff like this but it's still crazy.

Last edited:

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The racism doesn't surprise me, but the bigger breasts bit just baffles me

Oct 27, 2017
The racism doesn't surprise me, but the bigger breasts bit just baffles me
Probably old fashioned ideas on what sells? It seems so fucking wild for a publisher to expect that they can give creatives those types of notes but maybe they're used to having that sort of sway.

I'm guessing the "no ghosts" has something to do with China's censors.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
someone tell tencent no one cares about boobs in movies anymore because of the internet lol. it aint the 80s anymore

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Probably old fashioned ideas on what sells? It seems so fucking wild for a publisher to expect that they can give creatives those types of notes but maybe they're used to having that sort of sway.

I'm guessing the "no ghosts" has something to do with China's censors.

Ghosts and skeletons are a no-no for CCP. Oh, and time-travel sure as shit ain't gonna fly as well.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And this will only get worse now that the CCP has tighten their grip on Tencent and other entertainment giants in china.

They outright don't want femboys or anything disturbing their strong male / beautiful female worldview in their media.

So i'm not surprised no poc and bigger breasts are demands to get your script produced by them.

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
I mean...more concerned my ass. I can be concerned about both of em.
I am concerned as fuck about MS, they been evil since forever and Phill not being a shitty evil overlord doesn't make the company that owns his division less evil.
Tencent and MS in the same boat. MS in Brazil is the same as Tencent here.
Many American companies sound nice and all IN AMERICA but keep on killing people outside of the boarders...well within as well but y'all keep forgetting they multinational.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
No black people and big breasts seems like an alt right video game company or something.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017

Someone like a month ago was trying to challenge my assertion that it's a bad thing for mega-conglomerates to own too much of one industry, assuming wrongly that my only problem with them was that they're Chinese.

Wherever you are, this. This shit is why. A diversity of viewpoints and agendas driving an industry is crucial.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am concerned as fuck about MS, they been evil since forever and Phill not being a shitty evil overlord doesn't make the company that owns his division less evil.
Many American companies sound nice and all IN AMERICA but keep on killing people outside of the boarders...well within as well but y'all keep forgetting they multinational.
that's a nice big ol tub of whataboutism for a company that's pretty explicit about not wanting black people around, objectifying women, and excluding other content

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You would think big breasts go against won't someone think of the children pearl clutching.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
What am I even reading?

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
It's a limitation imposed by the government as they believe stories about ghosts carry anti-government messaging. Basically like having characters from previous eras can be used as metaphors for returning to the old ways.

www.bbc.com

Is China really scared of ghost films?

Was the Western film Crimson Peak banned in China because it had ghosts in it? Artist Aowen Jin is not so sure.

tencent investments
OP
OP
Biosnake

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Some companies Tencent invests in:

Riot Games (League of Legends) - 100 percent
Epic Games - 40 percent
Bluehole (PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds) - 11.5 percent
Ubisoft - 5 percent
Activision Blizzard - 5 percent(idk how this one works)
Platinum Games - Undisclosed investment
Discord: Undisclosed investment amount

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
that's a nice big ol tub of whataboutism for a company that's pretty explicit about not wanting black people around, objectifying women, and excluding other content

What am I even reading?

What I am saying is I can worry about both and JFC don't we deserve better? This bullshit with "better than"? Nah kiss my big black ass.
We deserve better than both but for some reason someone always says this poison is less lethal. Take that and people follow. SMH

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
OH6xbXN.png

Feb 24, 2018
Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the CCP ban of ghosts in movies likely a result of Evil Ghosts often being used at metaphors for corrupt officials and government in many Chinese Literature? It's a massive shame because Chinese Mythology and folklore (including it's Ghosts) is some of the richest and interesting in the world.

And it's depressingly not surprising hearing about their no black people rule and bigger breasts thing. To quote most people here:

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
This type of stuff is so ass backwards. But I guess in their case, tits forward.

But seriously, why is this still a thing? How have they not learned this is wrong?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunatley anti-blackness is endemic in China as well. Remember The Force Awaken movie poster nonsense?

tencent investments pt.2

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Epic Games - 40 percent
Ubisoft - 5 percent

There's other big ones:

Kadokawa (FROM Soft)
Sumo
Remedy
Roblox
Paradox
Bloober Team
Dontnod
Marvelous
And even Nintendo to release the Switch in China

Basically they're everywhere

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Epic Games - 40 percent
Ubisoft - 5 percent
I'm surprised Project L is allowed to exist.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No shock here. Tencent are shitty and are attempting to entrench themselves into their next big market (the west) and culture via games by any means possible (i.e investing outright or a decent percentage of as many studios as possible) to push their values and agenda. No one has been batting an eye lid at their spending sprees but too late now.