• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markhimself

Nov 6, 2017
Boston, MA
Good luck to Alanah in wherever she goes next.

I hadn't noticed that Marty had disappeared from a lot of the IGN stuff. Hopefully he's not a creep and it's just some kind of personal disagreement between them but the unfollows from his coworkers and his lack of appearances certainly paint a different picture.

I had been wondering where he was these past few weeks. I'm only just now finding out about some of the IGN staff unfollowing him on Twitter. I really hope it's nothing serious. Marty was one of my favorite personalities there.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I understand that, I guess I am surprised more cities aren't like London where people get paid 'more' because the cost of living is so high there.

Just to put San Francisco into perspective, there's currently a thread in the OT that mentions that in some counties there a six figure salary is low income. IGN couldn't realistically pay everyone that works there a six figure salary.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
lol damn IGN was pretty much setting her up to be the new face. She was all over their content.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Will miss her on Unlocked. I remember I think last summer when she was doing drunk lets play's with Marty? Was it Marty?

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
I had no idea she worked at IGN, I only knew the name from seeing her play Until Dawn with her mom lol.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I don't watch much of IGN's content but I do follow Alannah's YouTube channel and think she has a good presence in front of the camera. It's sad she's leaving IGN but that means she can follow her ambitions. Good for her.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if she is jumping to videogame PR. IGN has had a laundry list of writers and personalities who have done that in recent years

Members of the game press in general have been making the leap to game publishers and game developers seemingly since the dawn of time but I definitely think that's ramped up in recent years. As someone who enjoys her work it would be a bummer if she made the leap but I could hardly blame her as I'm sure it would pay much better than IGN.

I hadn't noticed that Marty had disappeared from a lot of the IGN stuff. Hopefully he's not a creep and it's just some kind of personal disagreement between them but the unfollows from his coworkers and his lack of appearances certainly paint a different picture.

Wow, that's wild. I've been listening to fewer IGN podcasts lately so I just assumed that I hadn't heard from Marty very much because of that. I wonder if something happened that IGN legally can't really act on so they just have to wait for his contract to run out? Weird either way. He always seemed like a pretty cool dude so hopefully he didn't do anything gross/creepy.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck to her. Didn't realize until this thread that Marty has been missing from a lot of shows lately. Greg and other friends unfollowing him on twitter does make it sound like that something serious happened behind the scenes.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Man, the Marty stuff is stressing me out. I always thought he seemed like a decent guy :/ Him and Alanah were super close too. All of the unfollows definitely make me think that something bad happened.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Just to put San Francisco into perspective, there's currently a thread in the OT that mentions that in some counties there a six figure salary is low income. IGN couldn't realistically pay everyone that works there a six figure salary.

Jesus Christ. That is insane! Fair enough then, I would also get the fuck out of San Francisco if I were her.

GundamStyle

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Working for IGN isnt fun. Now she will work at funhouse... good move. Also this E3 she showed me how smart she was.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
Ign seems to have a large turnaround in staff. I guess it's because if your not in a management position the pay is not high enough for the living costs in Seattle

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
She's so beautiful and loved her content. Hope she stays in the industry...

I don't believe in luck, best wishes...

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I guess the trend is you work at IGN to get face recognition (obviously BIG gaming site, lots of exposure) and then you move on to make real money via the youtubes in some manner

But yeah, being based in San Fran, IGN probably can't pay its people near enough to keep them around.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Definitely will be missed, she has a great passion for the industry and truly loves all games and genres, so she'll definitely do well wherever she goes. Most likely she got enough exposure from her IGN gig that she realized she could make a bunch more money going independent, that's what Naomi Kyle did and it seems to be working out well for her.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018

Man, I hope the actual story behind it isn't as bad as it seems.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Alannah is cool, hope she does well.

I don't understand at all why so many games outlets are out in California. Especially EZA having to split money 9 ways (10 ways since I'm sure some goes to upkeep and updates), how is it even possible to live on that? Everyone should move out to Austin. :)

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Honestly, I don't know why anyone would want to live in that area with the astronomical cost of living. I can't imagine IGN pays that well but maybe I'm wrong.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I would bet love interest, but I might be wrong.

Alannah is a very attractive woman and the two of them being so close and always telling stories of how they ended up drunk together. Just saying, things happen.
True but we on a forum are not in the position to make assumptions. That's a shitty thing for people to read on the internet.

Either way, she's a very talented writer and will succeed wherever she goes. Apparently, this job also will make her Patreon obsolete which is great news; Patreon is awesome for groups but for individuals, it must be super tough.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
All my favourites are gone basically. :(

I stopped following NVC since the new guy is hosting, and Alanah was one the best guest for all their podcasts considering how knowledgeable and unbiased she is.

I will always remember her for this

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whose left at this point at IGN? I feel like any recognizable face from there is gone now.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Also, how the hell does IGN operate in San Francisco? The cost of living must be insane to be covering on an online video game journalist's salary.

If you look at IGN's turnover history, usually people work there in their early 20s, then move on to other places. Outside of people in management positions, very few people stay at IGN past their 30's.

Rudiano

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
First time I saw Alannah I had to do a double take because I honestly thought it was Emma Roberts.

They look nothing alike lol

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Well, I am not sure if working with IGN is such a great job, but I really like her, since those times when she called mom of one her's harasser. That was cool move.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why their turnover is so high, I feel like in the past 4-5 years we've seen so many people leave. NVC hasn't been the same without Otero.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Then IGN shouldn't be setting up shop in the Bay Area anyway. Part of running a successful business is analyzing your cost of operations.
This wasn't always a problem, the timeline of their increase of losing talent goes hand and hand with the issues the Bay Area is facing at the moment as far as housing and income are concerned. It's a problem I along with everyone else my age in this area are facing.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've just recently watched a few Beyond vids and she was pretty good on there.
It seems the relationship between the two of them completely soured. Marty Sliva has completely disappeared from all IGN podcasts for a while now. I didn't think much of it, until reddit pointed out that Alanah
stopped following Marty on Twitter (apparently with some other IGN staff). They also launched a podcast together and she has since removed any name reference of him from the podcast on her website, twitter, etc.

EDIT: Here's a fair rundown: https://www.reddit.com/r/IGN/comments/8oz2lp/wheres_marty_separating_fact_from_fiction/
Unfollowing coworkers on twitter lol.. It's like high school tier passive aggressiveness.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I find the SF gaming bubble so fascinating. It just seems so weird that these high-visibility people working for huge companies are living in closets or studio apartments. I remember seeing Colin and Greg's tiny apartment a few years back and just thinking, "What the fuck!?"
San Francisco is comically expensive. The whole Bay Area has shot up in pricing over the past 4 or so years as far as housing in concerned. The rent people pay in SF is easily more than most people's mortgages on a home.

Status
Not open for further replies.