MrMegaMill

Nov 28, 2017
E0ZOo2fUcAEhv4e

E0Y_9jNVgAMwy8m

I'm frustrated. No, even that is too calm. I am incredibly pissed off. For those who don't know, the current provincial government in Alberta, the Conservative 'UCP', has been playing down our COVID problem FOR WEEKS. In order to not piss off his small town, conservative buddies, our Premier, Jason Kenney, has been slowly, INCRIMENTALLY adding 'restrictions'. We JUST had new restrictions added this past Thursday. These restrictions were pretty much only applied in government designated 'hot spot' zones. To be a hot spot, you need at least 350 cases/100k people with a minimum of 250 cases overall, again, directly catering to the small towns. MANY smaller towns have a higher than 350/100k rate, but because they can't hit that 250 overall, the restrictions don't apply. Some of these 'restrictions' include:

• Closing down schools in pre-designated 'hot spot' zones. The majority of schools in these regions had previously APPLIED to go online, since the government wasn't sending them themselves, so this was negligible.
  • Closing down all indoor workout facilities. Previously only available for 1 on 1 workouts, so again, this does nothing.
  • Restaurants have been closed indoors for a while, but patios are SUUUPER OPEN. Restrictions added to only being allowed with same household, but no one checks that.
  • Police are to give $1000 fines if you are caught breaking any rule, which will have to be paid before you are allowed to renew your car registration (hey, a good idea), but that would actually mean the police would have to enforce this.... which.... yeah....
E0VrHNPWEAUIpGn

^ Yesterday, a 2000+ rodeo happened in a rural area of Alberta. Apparently, the police showed up yet did nothing. How the fuck are we supposed to change anything if we are holding no one accountable. This comes straight from our government. A weak, pansy ass leader and a constantly denying, teacher/doctor gas-lighting administration.

'sigh'. I urge you all to simply search 'Alberta' on Twitter to find more and more examples of the complete clusterfuck we are in. I leave you with this tweet, a pretty succinct summary of our province's leadership and mindset. Pray for me and my province, ERA.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I love Alberta... But the conservative government and overall conservative mindset of far too many residents is one reason why I also regrettably hate Alberta. They need to get their shit together...

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Heading for an Ontario-style ICU overwhelm situation shortly. Just can't believe we accelerated right back to where we were at wave 2 peak. Just so demoralizing.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
As the saying goes, and this goes for Ford as well as Kenney, elect a 🤡 expect a circus

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
for those non-canadians reading this, Alberta (and sometimes Saskatchewan) are the Texas of Canada.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Conservative ideologies continue to be a blight upon our species. And fuck that oil-and-gas-gets-my-anti-science-and-self-righteous-religious-dick-hard degenerate shitstain Kenney and his admin.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Kenney has shown himself to be nothing but trash. He's fundamentally incapable of addressing a crisis because he's so ideological.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish this pandemic would teach people not to eject right wing populists, but I have my doubts

Unrivaled

Banned
Oct 13, 2020
Yes, I live in Calgary and many people here are nuts. I'd say most of the white collar educated people are taking it seriously. But a large portion of our city is blue collar and the word "scamdemic" comes up alot.

The person to blame the most is Kenney though. He has continually downplayed Covid, saying it is basically the flu last year. A few weeks ago he was talking about how this is almost over, we will have a full Stampede in July and this summer will be the best ever.

This is the result of the delusion. Most aren't taking it seriously at all now.

Unrivaled

Banned
Oct 13, 2020
Also we had an emergency alert 5pm Friday night on our phones province wide to remind people that there is a pandemic on...

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Fuck Kenney, he will go down as the worst premier in Alberta. Their version of lockdown is closing gyms in hotspots.

Covid has really exposed all the selfish assholes here and making me really consider moving the hell out of the province as soon as this is over. Coupled with all the education and healthcare cuts, it's quickly turning into a terrible place to raise a family.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Alberta is my home province. I'm a Gen-X kid, grew up there during the 80s and 90s, under premiers like Ralph Klein. It wasn't until I moved out of there that it even occurred to me a provincial government could be anything OTHER than conservative.

So weird to see it going like this, but now that I'm living in Ontario, it's not like Ford is a giant improvement. Maybe there's something to be said for how the Atlantic provinces seem to stay out of the political drama spotlight...

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Man, Alberta is my home province. I'm a Gen-X kid, grew up there during the 80s and 90s, under premiers like Ralph Klein. It wasn't until I moved out of there that it even occurred to me a provincial government could be anything OTHER than conservative.

So weird to see it going like this, but now that I'm living in Ontario, it's not like Ford is a giant improvement. Maybe there's something to be said for how the Atlantic provinces seem to stay out of the political drama spotlight...

I recall seeing on Twitter how Atlantic provinces, specifically NF were getting labelled as "traitors" (cause there are folks who go to Alberta to seek work in O&G industry) when Liberals held majority here. At least now, our rates of infection in NF are considerably low and thanks to that no more lock downs since the last (iirc) 7 weeks.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017

It's a fight between Ontario and Alberta on who's the worst response in the country with their anti-science business-beholden conservative bullshit. I think Alberta will edge them out, but... there is an NDP government out west that has absolutely shit the bed in public health response as well. Just not as badly as those 2.

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for sharing the hot seat/zone Alberta.

-Signed Ontario

Ha ha we're screwed for many years with this hospital backlog.

Arzak

Jun 21, 2019
I don't wish harm on anyone but people outside of Canada should realize that Alberta is equally as trash as some US southern states except the weather is also horrible. Rural Canada is fucking desolation dude.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
That's fucking scary. Canada was (comparatively) not doing so bad during last year but it seems to have shifted in recent months. Stay safe.

Also the top half of Canada is missing.
None of the provincial governments west of New Brunswick did anything at all with the time and good will they gained last year when Covid first hit and they were able to put in lockdowns without too much pushback. Now they just want to blame Trudeau (the Prime Minister) for any and all failings.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I should be more aware of Canada's situation than I am.

Ontario's getting fucked but that's all I ever hear. I need to get out of my own head.

OP
OP
MrMegaMill

MrMegaMill

Nov 28, 2017
I don't wish harm on anyone but people outside of Canada should realize that Alberta is equally as trash as some US southern states except the weather is also horrible. Rural Canada is fucking desolation dude.

As an openly gay, super left wing high school teacher..... When you put it like that, why the fuck do I still live here?

Arzak

Jun 21, 2019
As an openly gay, super left wing high school teacher..... When you put it like that, why the fuck do I still live here?

BC would welcome you with open arms.
Ain't perfect here either, homeless people all over the place and expensive af. Not to mention, living some where that is difficult for you to achieve your goals is worthy of praise and respect. Keep fighting!

Infinite Ukemi

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Well, at least your presence gives queer kids growing up here someone to look up to. Too bad the province is trying it's damndest to kick you out.
Goddamn I'm resentful towards how anti-queer the Calgary Catholic School District is here.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Do you live in a city here? There are lots of loud nuts in this province but the cities still largely feel a whole lot less ignorant than the stereotypes. Alberta's in a bad state right now with the endless oil-caused recession and pandemic though for sure. Sorry you're feeling so disheartened :( I don't envy being in your position with teaching through all this.

They really need to clamp down on the patios until the cases are under control. It's fucking ridiculous how packed they are and obviously it's people from mixed households.

OP
OP
MrMegaMill

MrMegaMill

Nov 28, 2017
Do you live in a city here? There are lots of loud nuts in this province but the cities still largely feel a whole lot less ignorant than the stereotypes. Alberta's in a bad state right now with the endless oil-caused recession and pandemic though for sure. Sorry you're feeling so disheartened :( I don't envy being in your position with teaching through all this.

They really need to clamp down on the patios until the cases are under control. It's fucking ridiculous how packed they are and obviously it's people from mixed households.

Yeah, I live in YYC, but teach in a smaller town surrounding it. Regardless, I feel like I see/hear a fair amount of ridiculous shit in Calgary too.

I drove down 17th ave on Friday to pick up food and then eat it at home and the amount of people packed into the patios was ridiculous. The rules right now are doing fucking nothing. We aren't going to have a summer at all.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I live in YYC, but teach in a smaller town surrounding it. Regardless, I feel like I see/hear a fair amount of ridiculous shit in Calgary too.

I drove down 17th ave on Friday to pick up food and then eat it at home and the amount of people packed into the patios was ridiculous. The rules right now are doing fucking nothing. We aren't going to have a summer at all.
It's like firing a bunch of registered nurses and cutting funding to healthcare at the beginning of the pandemic was a bad move by Jason Kenney and he's too dim to figure a way out of it.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Have you ever actually been to Alberta?

Rural everywhere in Canada is like southern US. Luckily for Alberta much of their population is concentrated in Calgary and Edmonton, which is not like that.

Unfortunately the pandemic has highlighted a significant amount of people everywhere are selfish and ignorant as hell.

Zero-ELEC

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
Big part of North America left out of that map. But you have my sympathies. Nothing more frustrating than seeing a government just throw their hands up and give up before even doing anything, letting people die.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Alberta is a shithole. I somewhat enjoy living in Edmonton but as a brown dude I don't feel comfortable being anywhere else in this province aside from maybe Calgary

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
The rural parts of Alberta give it a worse rep than it really deserves - it's not like BC's interior is any less conservative. Edmonton is probably the province's only real saving grace, though...Calgary is home to a lot of the oil industry and it's reflected in their political leaning. Freedom rallies (anti-mask) have been held in Calgary every week or so, although I think they may have taken a break recently or everyone just got tired of hearing about them.

As for Kenney, he brought this all on himself. He was slow to implement restrictions, which rightly pissed off a huge chunk of people. And he pissed off his own base by implementing restrictions at all. Hell, there are a bunch of old Wild Rose members who have publicly complained and a few others who have written an anonymous letter asking for Kenney's resignation.

It's that Wild Rose base that's the real bane here. They split off in the first place because the conservative government wasn't racist enough for them, and only when the NDP kicked their ass did they realize they had to pool forces again. At least they elected Kenney (incompetent) rather than Jean (malicious), though the end result still hasn't done the province any favours.