kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
variety.com

Alec Baldwin and ‘Rust’ Armorer to Face Involuntary Manslaughter Charges in Shooting Death

Alec Baldwin will be charged in connection with the fatal shooting of Halyna Hutchins, the cinematographer on 'Rust.'
Alec Baldwin and the armorer on the set of "Rust" will be charged with involuntary manslaughter in the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins in October 2021.

Baldwin fired the shot that killed Hutchins while preparing to film a scene in the church building of the Bonanza Creek Ranch near Santa Fe, N.M. The armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, loaded the weapon.

Mary Carmack-Altwies, the Santa Fe prosecutor, announced the charges in a statement on Thursday.
Baldwin and Gutierrez Reed will be charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter, which each carry a maximum sentence of 18 months in prison. They also face an enhancement for use of a firearm which carries a mandatory minimum sentence of five years.
The prosecutor also announced that Dave Halls, the first assistant director, has agreed to plead guilty to a charge of "negligent use of a deadly weapon." Halls handed the loaded Colt .45 to Baldwin. Under the plea agreement, Halls will be given six months of probation but will not serve jail time.

Baldwin has said that Halls told him the weapon was "cold," meaning it contained only dummy rounds. But investigators found that the gun was loaded with one live bullet, which went through Hutchins' torso and lodged in the shoulder of director Joel Souza.
"If any one of these three people — Alec Baldwin, Hannah Gutierrez Reed or David Halls — had done their job, Halyna Hutchins would be alive today," said Andrea Reeb, the special prosecutor appointed by Carmack-Altwies to oversee the case, in a statement. "It's that simple. The evidence clearly shows a pattern of criminal disregard for safety on the 'Rust' film set. In New Mexico, there is no room for film sets that don't take our state's commitment to gun safety and public safety seriously."
Baldwin has repeatedly argued that he is not to blame for the incident. His attorneys have alleged that three crew members and a weapons supplier were at fault for a chain of missteps that led to the shooting.

Baldwin has told interviewers that he did not pull the trigger, and that the gun went off when he let go of the hammer. An FBI forensic analysis determined that the gun was functioning normally, however.
Luke Nikas, Baldwin's attorney, said in a statement on Thursday that the decision "distorts Halyna Hutchins' tragic death and represents a terrible miscarriage of justice.

"Mr. Baldwin had no reason to believe there was a live bullet in the gun – or anywhere on the movie set," Nikas said. "He relied on the professionals with whom he worked, who assured him the gun did not have live rounds. We will fight these charges, and we will win."

What are the charges against Baldwin?

Baldwin and Gutierrez-Reed are each being charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter, meaning they're "charged in the alternative." Prosecutors say they want a jury to decide not only if the pair are guilty, but which type of involuntary manslaughter should apply to the events around Hutchins' death.

At the base level, both of the charges are fourth-degree felonies, punishable by up to 18 months in jail and a $5,000 fine. But if Baldwin and/or Gutierrez-Reed are found guilty of the most serious charges that carry a firearm enhancement, they stand to face five years in prison.

Under the basic involuntary manslaughter charge, prosecutors would need to show that underlying negligence played a role in the shooting death. That charge would also "likely" merge with a misdemeanor charge of negligent use of a firearm, prosecutors said.

The other charge is involuntary manslaughter in the commission of a lawful act — which would require prosecutors to establish that factors beyond simple negligence contributed to Hutchins' death. This version of the charge includes a firearm enhancement, meaning that if the actor or armorer are found guilty, they would face a mandatory prison term of five years.

Last edited:

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
what did he even do wrong? my understanding was that it was the fault of the armorer, and this gun wasn't supposed to fire a real bullet?

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
wow, was there something he was supposed to do that he didn't? Maybe he was in charge of safety on set or something?

ChuckXL

Banned
May 3, 2018
I haven't exactly liked the way Baldwin has reacted to this entire situation, but I do not understand charging him unless there's some component of this that I'm not understanding. If the gun person handed me a gun and said "There are only blanks in here" I would believe them?

psionotic

May 29, 2019
I wonder if Baldwin did a kind of kids', cops-and-robbers thing, pointing it and firing at the director as a kind of a joke after he'd been (incorrectly) told the gun was cold.

Why H-wood is still using real guns instead of props I will never understand.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
what did he even do wrong? my understanding was that it was the fault of the armorer, and this gun wasn't supposed to fire a real bullet?

wow, was there something he was supposed to do that he didn't? Maybe he was in charge of safety on set or something?

Maybe because Baldwin was a producer in the production?

Why did the Hutchins family settle their lawsuit?

Hutchins' widower, Matthew Hutchins, filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Baldwin and other producers in February 2022, blaming the tragedy on cost-cutting measures and reckless behavior by Baldwin and members of the crew, including hiring inexperienced workers and disregarding safety concerns expressed during production by camera crew operators.

In October, the family reached a tentative settlement with Baldwin and other producers. Terms were not disclosed.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Will be interesting to see how this plays out. I mean there's always the possibility they don't have a strong case and he'll be acquitted, but I wonder if his role as producer in combination with being the person that fired the shot is the basis here.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this feels more like he's being charged as a producer rather than firing the gun itself.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
If the gun person handed me a gun and said "There are only blanks in here" I would believe them?
I wouldn't, but I'm also well trained in firearm safety and usage, I'd check the gun myself. But I don't expect an actor to be a firearms expert.

I don't know that his charge would stick, but I bet the other ones will. They screwed up bad.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's a bit more complicated with Baldwin but I don't see how it could ever not be the fault of the armorer.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He was the producer so he should have been more responsible for the staff like the handler. And he pulled the trigger.

I don't think he should go to jail for this but he definitely should carry some responsibility.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Curious to see the ultimate grounds here. As I understand, the criminal justice system isn't supposed to punish non-negligent genuine accidents.

If negligence is the ultimate pathway they're pursuing it's possible I suppose but may have been something breaking the chain or reasonable expectation of safety? Not sure how it could be anything other than unforeseen but eh ianal

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1616105861125967874
Natasha Bertrand
@NatashaBertrand
Wow: "After a thorough review of the evidence and the laws of the state of New Mexico, I have determined that there is sufficient evidence to file criminal charges against Alec Baldwin and other members of the 'Rust' film crew," DA Mary Carmack-Altwies said today.

Natasha Bertrand
"'Rust' actor and producer Alec Baldwin and armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed will each be charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter in the death of Halyna Hutchins on the film's Santa Fe County set in 2021," DA says in press release.
11:10 AM · Jan 19, 2023

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Involuntary Manslaughter seems to make sense charge wise given the parameters of a such a charge and the info that has come out about conditions on set (and Baldwin's position for the film). I'd be shocked if Baldwin spent any time in jail though, I'd guess plea deal or a non-jail punishment instead (eg probation).

ChuckXL

Banned
May 3, 2018
I guess yeah, if they're charging him as the producer of the film and not the person who pulled the trigger, that makes sense.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
This is absolutely over stepping.

Baldwin is just the actor. He's not responsible for the props and he was told by the people who are that he was being handed a "cold" gun.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly do not see how this is his fault… I am not expecting him to do any time.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
My own crazy, shameful, no-evidence conspiracy theory is that some white-supremacist Trump-lover set this up as payback for the SNL parodies.

So at least it will help my brain to follow the evidence of what happened.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this feels more like he's being charged as a producer rather than firing the gun itself.
Either that or because he apparently pulled back the hammer while figuring out angles with the cinematographer he shot because he thought the gun was safe. I'm assuming he shouldn't have been fiddling with that part at all during the rehearsal

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the one AD plead guilty in a plea deal and the prosecutor says "disregarded safety on the set" in their statement I think this goes beyond "pulling the trigger" for Baldwin.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I could understand blame as a producer, but as the trigger man. Nah.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
So even though the armorer is the one whose negligent actions solely resulted in the woman's death, Baldwin is also being charged with negligence simply because he's the one who hired her? Seems like this would set a dangerous precedent for workplace accidents?

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
This is absolutely over stepping.

Baldwin is just the actor. He's not responsible for the props and he was told by the people who are that he was being handed a "cold" gun.
Why do people keep saying this. He was not "just the actor" he was a producer on the film as well. He was in charge. It was up to him to ensure his set was safe

Henry Jones Jr

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The armorer I totally get. It seems the most direct blame would lie with them. For Alec, I am less sure. I feel like they would need to prove that he knew that this armorer had a history of safety issues / a history of mishandling prop gun & ammo. And that he knew this either at the time of hiring this armorer or at the time of pulling the trigger.

Deleted member 128704

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2022

It's complicated. Baldwin has said he didn't pull the trigger and the gun fired itself, but the FBI forensic team has said that the gun in question cannot fire on its own. Also, yes he is a producer. Baldwin needs to go on record with an explanation under oath and it's gonna be his word against forensic evidence and assessment of experts.

ann3nova.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Baldwin did a kind of kids', cops-and-robbers thing, pointing it and firing at the director as a kind of a joke after he'd been (incorrectly) told the gun was cold.

Why H-wood is still using real guns instead of props I will never understand.
I imagined it being a shot where he points the gun at the camera, or near it, a cut away from his target.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
So even though the armorer is the one whose negligent actions solely resulted in the woman's death, Baldwin is also being charged with negligence simply because he's the one who hired her? Seems like this would set a dangerous precedent for workplace accidents?

I can see the argument for the fact that the would be responsible for creating a safe work environment for employees. I suppose it would be comparable to an employee slipping on the job, breaking a limb, and the company being held responsible for damages.

Oct 25, 2017
The armorer I totally get. It seems the most direct blame would lie with them. For Alec, I am less sure. I feel like they would need to prove that he knew that this armorer had a history of safety issues / a history of mishandling prop gun & ammo. And that he knew this either at the time of hiring this armorer or at the time of pulling the trigger.

The union complained about safety issues https://variety.com/2021/film/news/alec-baldwin-shooting-rust-crew-nonunion-1235097930/

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Deadline's article goes into more a little more detail. The FBI and local police had a 551 page report that basically said production was a disaster waiting to happen from all the accidental discharges and live ammo being present. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it kinda sounds like Baldwin's partly being charged due to the discrepancies between his version of events and forensics (in addition to being a producer).

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't exactly liked the way Baldwin has reacted to this entire situation, but I do not understand charging him unless there's some component of this that I'm not understanding. If the gun person handed me a gun and said "There are only blanks in here" I would believe them?

He was also the producer on the film, hence the charges. As noted above, the family noted that Baldwin:

blaming the tragedy on cost-cutting measures and reckless behavior by Baldwin and members of the crew, including hiring inexperienced workers and disregarding safety concerns expressed during production by camera crew operators.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It was a production failure. As soon as I saw that he was also a producer, I figured at some point he was going to get hit with something. Figured more civil than criminal, but here we are.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Someone was negligent as fuck and I don't mind investigations into how it happened, if it could have been prevented, who is at fault, and what should be done about it. Cops all over the country intentionally shoot people who don't deserve it, murder people, and can skate on by without facing any charges, keeping their jobs even.
That this country has such shitty gun laws and a reverence/worship of cops doesn't mean that this situation should have been hand-waved away or anything, of course, but it's still wild to me how big this whole thing has been blown up into. It's a serious thing for sure; someone was killed by accident. We let people get killed on purpose all the time though.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Charging as the producer makes sense. If they charged him as the one firing the gun, that would be fucked up.

Henry Jones Jr

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people keep saying this. He was not "just the actor" he was a producer on the film as well. He was in charge. It was up to him to ensure his set was safe
Again not necessarily

There are different kinds of producers

He identified himself previously as a creative producer which would mean he was not an on set producer responsible for this kind of thing.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
The assistant director who handed Baldwin the gun signed a plea deal for a suspended sentence and 6 months probation.

They're tossing the book at Baldwin but I don't imagine a great deal coming out of it, especially the involuntary manslaughter charge that has the firearm enhancement with the mandatory 5 year sentence.

Beyond what happened on the set though Baldwin messed up by continuously talking to the press after the incident. He put his foot in his mouth a few times and that could come back to bite him.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure how I feel about this. His behavior after the incident wasn't great, but I feel like person in charge of gun safety is the one that should hold the most responsibility here, since they told him the gun was safe to use when it wasn't, even if he is a producer on the film. I imagine a lot about safety failures will come out in this trial though.