• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
A narcissistic pervert who took advantage of a raped human being, and some people knew. The hell is this world.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Zoe Quinn's fortitude after years of abuse, both physical and online, is truly something to behold. She is a far stronger person than I could ever hope to be.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Zoe Quinn? Fuaarrrkk. Feel so bad for her, seems to have the absolute worst luck (?) with men. But I think part of the issue is that we're in and industry which much like film and TV back in the day, and even now to an extent, has a lot of young impressionable people looking to make a 'break' and are by proxy ripe for being taken advantage of, sexually or otherwise.

Especially a problem when those exploiting these people have no one they really need to answer to, or their talents seemingly outweigh any social or moral responsibilities in the eyes of those that employ them. Proud to work in this industry as there's hundreds of great people working in it too, but it has a looooong way to go to clean up it's act. This is the sort of shit gamers should be rallying against. Microtransactions, exclusivity deals, downgrades and store fronts are the least of it's problems in my opinion.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Sorry, OP, but why do you mention TowerFall in the title? TowerFall is by Matt Thorson, the dev of Celeste. Alec Holowka only worked on the audio.

If you mention TowerFall, then mention Aquaria as well. It is a game by Derek Yu, the dev of Spelunky, and Alec Holowka.
Alec Holowka worked on the audio and the programming. The game is very well-known because it was the IGF 2007 winner.

I2PqbxI.png

Edit: I mean, even the tweet mentions Aquaria rather than TowerFall:

c630Ts0.png

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I feel terrible about this, but in an odd way comforted that zoe was inspired by nathalie. To be preyed upon like this, just awful. Zoe got some great twitter replies so far.

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017
It seems that influential figures in the games industry keep taking advantage and manipulating of young enthusiastic people.

absolutely disgusting.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Zoe Quinn? Fuaarrrkk. Feel so bad for her, seems to have the absolute worst luck (?) with men. But I think part of the issue is that we're in and industry which much like film and TV back in the day, and even now to an extent, has a lot of young impressionable people looking to make a 'break' and are by proxy ripe for being taken advantage of, sexually or otherwise.

Especially a problem when those exploiting these people have no one they really need to answer to, or their talents seemingly outweigh any social or moral responsibilities in the eyes of those that employ them. Proud to work in this industry as there's hundreds of great people working in it too, but it has a looooong way to go to clean up it's act. This is the sort of shit gamers should be rallying against. Microtransactions, exclusivity deals, downgrades and store fronts are the least of it's problems in my opinion.
The indie development community has generally been uplifting rather than exploitative, which makes this story all the more heartbreaking. The only silver lining is the outpouring of genuine support that Zoe has been receiving.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This is a totally different incident, but more people are starting to speak out now

It's all horrible, but it is good to see everyone be brave enough to talk about this together

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
There are so many scumbags, im glad everyones speaking up. Needs to be more light on how these disgusting people treat others.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
Why the fuck does this keep happening to Zoe. Feel awful for her.

I will add that I hope she's gone to the police with allegations of this nature. It's no good just airing it on Twitter.

Last edited:

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he 'just' do music for Towerfall? Shouldn't be in the title next to Night in the Woods. The devs of Towerfall also made Celeste, they shouldn't be affilliated with the perpetrator.

Her text was hard to read. No idea how one could abuse someone you already know is a victim of abuse.. Geez.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Shouldn't be in the title next to Night in the Woods.

I agree, but at the same time, what do you find as the pinned tweet of the perpetrator? These are his two most recent game contributions: TF:A, NitW.

7sReSbU.png

Edit: He also worked with Petri Purho (Noita, Crayon Physics Deluxe).

SLGLerI.png

7aSQRqP.png

Last edited:

Mikachu

Oct 25, 2017
I love a great many games this man has worked on, but wow. Fuck him so much. I feel so sorry for Zoe, no one should have to go through that.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
this is just horrendous.

huge props to zq for deciding to talk about it.

holowka sounds like a predator who identifies and targets vulnerable people. it makes my blood boil.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Very brave from Zoe once again to speak out, she continues to show herself as one of the most admirable people in the industry.

That's tarnished Night in the Woods for me forever now, I really hope that scumbag's career is finished after this.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
NitW is one of my favorite games of all time, and this makes me feel sick to my stomach. This shit is heart-breaking. Why are people so fucked up?

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Well done to all these brave people speaking out, and to all those coming to their aid.
We need all the support we can to root out the rot of the industry. It's sad that we seemingly need to fact-check everything and everyone these days, for fear of perpetuating more hate and violence. But gaming is a luxury we are lucky to have, and we should not accept the deeper horrors of the medium as part of some complete package.

Fascists are very flexible in their belief system, they recognise that they are a relative minority so they will of course try to charm and recruit anyone who gets alienated from the mainstream. You don't need to have the same ideals or goals as them, just the same enemy.
This is alarming.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
My love for NITW shrouded me with doubt immediately and for that reflex, I feel guilty.

Zoe was the Genesis of gamergate. She went through hell. And now she's invited that again. If that's not bravery, I don't know what is. What the fuck Alec.

I hope Zoe can heal but this is just another big band aid removal. It's going to sting her again. Hopefully not too long. I also stand by everyone else at Finji (not Alec) because they're a great indie team and they're good to chat with as people.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Ugh did a little googling on this topic, brought up a link to the old place, had no idea they'd gone full GG on the forum. The stuff they are allowed to post there!!!

Horrible story from Zoe, I hope she can heal.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

It's beyond painful to think about all the hate and abuse Zoe has been subjected to, offline and on. I have so much respect for how strong she is to withstand all of this, and how brave she has been in coming forward to shine a spotlight on these monsters. She is a true hero.

This is a totally different incident, but more people are starting to speak out now

It's all horrible, but it is good to see everyone be brave enough to talk about this together

Like Hollywood, this industry has a real problem with how many disgusting criminals are involved in positions of power. This will keep happening until they are all exposed, unfortunately gamer culture is toxic to the core and filled with legions of trolls who work to prevent these rapists from exposed rather than have it impact their favorite hobby.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Man, Zoe Quinn has been through so much shit. Good on her for speaking up. This is absolutely fucking horrible.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Zoe is really brave because I can only imagine what kind of vitriol she's receiving and will receive.

Why are humans so capable of such evil.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Would be real useful if there was a website where you could search for the name of a game and it'll tell you if, by buying it, you'd be giving money to someone who truly doesn't deserve it. Stuff like this, and the Ion Fury shit, the THQ shit, and however many other things, there's just more than I can possibly keep track of and it'd be so handy if there was an easy way to find all this stuff out pre-purchase. There's no game I'd ever need to play badly enough to give someone like this a sale.

The state of this industry.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I donned a hazmat suit and went to the other place just to know.

One of the first posts its evilore implying shes doing this to raise awareness to her Kickstarter.

Of course.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bloody hell, Zoe cannot catch a damn break, can she? What Alec did was fucked up.

And it's frustrating hearing that he's associated with a game I really liked, but then again, fortunately, it's not the parts I actually liked about the game, and it seems the other co-creators are just as shocked and angry as the rest of us, going by Henry's tweets. I really hope he's basically blacklisted from working with other devs ever again, though from what I'm seeing from second-hand accounts he's already burned quite a few bridges already.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Reading through it, Zoe paying for the ticket there and Alec paying for her ticket back was an immediate red flag. Horrible story.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
Would be real useful if there was a website where you could search for the name of a game and it'll tell you if, by buying it, you'd be giving money to someone who truly doesn't deserve it. Stuff like this, and the Ion Fury shit, the THQ shit, and however many other things, there's just more than I can possibly keep track of and it'd be so handy if there was an easy way to find all this stuff out pre-purchase. There's no game I'd ever need to play badly enough to give someone like this a sale.

Can we get a thread going to the same end?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Zoe is a fucking boulder. Glad that she finally felt comfortable enough to come out about this. Disgusting.

The part about putting his fingers inside her and walking her around the house in pain - fucking vile.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

I would gladly support the creation of a database or website that tracked industry monsters like this. Everyone has the right to be fully aware of who their money is supporting.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck all these scumbags and the people they protect them. Oust them all.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

This is a great idea, I hope someone eventually does this. It would also be great as a platform to pressure game companies to dissasociate with these people, to get their games off the list.

I mean, GG already has blacklists like these for developers / journalists that have denounced them (which of course are quite hilariously long lists).

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Indie gaming scene has one too many of these predators lurking around it preying on its most vulnerable. First it's Matt Con who still gets work and now this prick. It's sickening.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh did a little googling on this topic, brought up a link to the old place, had no idea they'd gone full GG on the forum. The stuff they are allowed to post there!!!
Apperently they started to talk openly about Phrenology only a few weeks after the change.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017

It's beyond painful to think about all the hate and abuse Zoe has been subjected to, offline and on. I have so much respect for how strong she is to withstand all of this, and how brave she has been in coming forward to shine a spotlight on these monsters. She is a true hero.

Like Hollywood, this industry has a real problem with how many disgusting criminals are involved in positions of power. This will keep happening until they are all exposed, unfortunately gamer culture is toxic to the core and filled with legions of trolls who work to prevent these rapists from exposed rather than have it impact their favorite hobby.

maybe the problem isnt gamer culture but their coworkers who somehow are always so shocked and didnt suspect a thing despite spending so much time around them

XSystem

Apr 1, 2019
Oooooff, this hits me like a brick - Night in the Woods was one of my favourite games of 2017, thanks in part to its soundtrack. Heck, I even bought the OST on Bandcamp because I enjoyed it so much.

After all the shit Zoe has been through, it takes a lot of courage to come forward with this. All the support to them - abusers like Alec should have no place in this industry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.