• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, in that he may not be dead. Imprisonment isn't purely for punishment; it's for rehabilitation, too. There are trained professionals who can assist people like Alec, and allow them to serve their time and come out the other end as a better person. It's certainly better than the trial by social media that occurred and lead to this tragic end.

There's no winning here, but we need to continue to encourage those who are victims of abuse to come forward to the proper authorities at the time that it happens, so that due process can be taken and help (and retribution) can be given to both parties.

Absolutely. The administrators should genuinely consider this option.
Rape victims are often mistreated by the police, and a lawsuit doesn't necessarily ends with a properly conducted investigation or a guilty verdict.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
I just don't see any shame reduction if they actually go to prison for their crimes instead of just being posted about on social media. Mike Vick got imprisoned for dog fighting and didn't get called out for it on social media and that didn't really diminish the shame one bit really.

I think the difference is he would be surrounded by professionals and would have gone through due process instead of the court of public opinion.

Rape victims are often mistreated by the police, and a lawsuit doesn't necessarily ends with a properly conducted investigation or a guilty verdict.

While true, it's better than no investigation at all. Victims need to be encouraged to go to the authorities at the time that it happens so that due process can be taken and methods can continue to improve. It also assists with statistical data for research.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the risk of generalizing, most people feel power taken from them when they are abused, and seek a way to regain power. You can regain power in a lot of ways, but one of them is to abuse others. It's horrible, but it is a well documented trend.

I honestly didn't know that this was a well documented trend and I never thought too hard about why I literally cry every time I think about how powerless I am in my life as I've always tried to lock away what happened to me, but this suddenly clicked so much in my head, and just fuck. I'll never abuse others, but that suddenly makes some things in my life a lot clearer and I wish I had known this earlier

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
This is tragic in every way.
Some of the responses around here haven't been great either...

The man seems to have hurt a lot of people, and the victims have a right to speak out, but that doesn't mean he deserves to die, especially considering his mental health.

This is too fucking much.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Alec does not deserve to die yes....but him being thrown from the developer community, being marked unhirable, and honestly probably isolated and just not someone anyone wants to be around....can you say he does not deserve that? No, he deserves it, 100%, abusers need to be condemned and forced out. But let's not act like it's not supposed to be what it is, it's meant to be punishment, to be a warning to all the other abusers.

That he killed himself over it, should we be really surprised?

I'm not sure what you're objecting to about my post. He absolutely deserved to be thrown out of the industry for what he did.

Perhaps it's time for a serious worldwide brainstorm about the value of the internet and how we can preserve what's good about it.

At the very least, it's time for a discussion about the value of social media services that pay lip service to the idea of moderated discussion but absolutely do not in any way actually step up when it's necessary for them to do so. Twitter and Facebook are both especially bad about this.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
Hopefully the people "Done" with this forum don't resort to going to other places that treat this forum like it's just a Purity Test Palace. This situation is extremely unfortunate and there is a vocal minority that seems to only see things as either "Good" or "Evil" rather than take into account context, circumstances, etc. The majority of interactions I've had here have had level headed individuals trying to learn and understand situations rather than it turning into a free for all.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (A week): Inflammatory commentary suggesting a suicide as manipulative behavior.
like, there are already people replying to and talking about my post as if i'm saying victims shoudn't come forward and out their abusers, which is 3000% not what i'm saying at all, and it's perfectly emblematic of one of the many problems discourse on this site has. there's always people deliberately trying to misread a good-faith post in the worst possible way, to try to call them out on it in an attempt to score internet points.

I internalized your post as saying that we should not discuss accusations, which is happened, meant someone would drop their accusation and that would be it. No effects no ripples no dissemination. Its bad.

the reason i think this stuff should be banned is not because it shouldn't be talked about, not because "I just wanna talk about vidya gaems without thinkin' bout stuff!", but because this forum simply cannot handle it. there's too much drive-by shitposting. there's too much needlessly hostile infighting. there's too many GG alt accounts trying to stir the pot. this forum is, frankly, a horrible place to discuss anything more complicated than video game news.

Also an extremely bad take because might as well just shut down Reset Era because welp the gamergate chuds are just always going to do that. Maybe we should have people who moderate discussions? (Oright we do)

and frankly, i also take issue with the idea repeatedly posted in this thread that Alec was a "public figure", any more than anyone with any kind of public-facing job is a "public figure". i would strongly bet 99% of the posters in this thread had no idea who he was before this went down. this was a personal matter between private individuals that was only made public because Zoe felt she had to, because the unfortunate reality is that it's often difficult or impossible to make abusers face consequences otherwise. but just because it's public info doesn't mean we should consider it our place to pass personal judgment on the people involved. and inevitably i can already tell that this will be spun by someone to say "you're defending an abuser!!!!!" because of course they will. and yes, i suppose i am defending the idea that even abusers are human beings, and are often complicated people capable of both horrible and great things, and that it's possible to condemn his actions and think he did some heinous shit and also think posters calling him human garbage who should be thrown out to rot are being self-righteous, toxic assholes.

Going to highlight a really fucking bad phrase in this paragraph. There's a reason why Zoe used her twitter to make the post and that was to make it public information that Alec, an indie developer with a good reputation, abused her. So that anyone who dealt with him also knew what he had done in the past because that shit is reprehensible and should not be tolerated in any fair society.

I dunno. at this point i'm just ranting really. this whole situation just fucking bums me out and angers me. i've been a fan of zoe since before GG even happened and it fucking sucks so bad that so much of her personal life is now used as fuel for internet trashfires. and i just really, really wish era would do better to not be another trashfire.

This shit bums me out too and disgusts me. His death (And I'm assuming suicide) reeks of a manipulative behavior that I can't quite put into words right now. Alec has permanently altered the course of the #MeToo resurgence happening in games media and caused even more irreparable harm and damage to victims.

It fucking sucks man.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
If you can't discuss these types of topics on Era, where on the internet can people point me to that would facilitate better discussion? I'm serious. For all the people saying this isn't the place to discuss these things, where is?

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
To be technically correct it wasn't proven, it was unofficially corroborated by other individuals online. Not trying to argue against you, just want to be clear.
The kind of person who is waiting to see all the proof will never be satisfied. You could have full color video with sound and then the conversation would just move to "well why was it filmed" or "why did she take so long to come forward". They don't consider anything enough proof. It's a tool to stifle conversation.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the difference is he would be surrounded by professionals and would have gone through due process instead of the court of public opinion.

I mean it still would have been put into the court of public opinion. The justice system is open to the public so we would have known he was charged and there would have been articles. Also he would have probably been free to roam around while on bail.

But like I posted earlier the court of public opinion many times is the only way to protect future victims from their abusers.

Oct 25, 2017
it's a touchy thing because, like, what alec did is horrible and should be condemned, and he should've faced the consequences of it, and zoe was justified in calling him out. and so there's plenty of people here just genuinely being sympathetic and supportive, and that's all great and should be encouraged. and there are of course broader conversations to be had about misogyny in the industry, abusers getting into positions of power, etc. there's plenty of stuff in this that's worth talking about, and that does necessitate a public discussion. and ideally, era should be the place for that! but it's not, because the culture of this forum does not foster reasonable discussion. straight-up.

like, there are already people replying to and talking about my post as if i'm saying victims shoudn't come forward and out their abusers, which is 3000% not what i'm saying at all, and it's perfectly emblematic of one of the many problems discourse on this site has. there's always people deliberately trying to misread a good-faith post in the worst possible way, to try to call them out on it in an attempt to score internet points.

the reason i think this stuff should be banned is not because it shouldn't be talked about, not because "I just wanna talk about vidya gaems without thinkin' bout stuff!", but because this forum simply cannot handle it. there's too much drive-by shitposting. there's too much needlessly hostile infighting. there's too many GG alt accounts trying to stir the pot. this forum is, frankly, a horrible place to discuss anything more complicated than video game news.

and frankly, i also take issue with the idea repeatedly posted in this thread that Alec was a "public figure", any more than anyone with any kind of public-facing job is a "public figure". i would strongly bet 99% of the posters in this thread had no idea who he was before this went down. this was a personal matter between private individuals that was only made public because Zoe felt she had to, because the unfortunate reality is that it's often difficult or impossible to make abusers face consequences otherwise. but just because it's public info doesn't mean we should consider it our place to pass personal judgment on the people involved. and inevitably i can already tell that this will be spun by someone to say "you're defending an abuser!!!!!" because of course they will. and yes, i suppose i am defending the idea that even abusers are human beings, and are often complicated people capable of both horrible and great things, and that it's possible to condemn his actions and think he did some heinous shit and also think posters calling him human garbage who should be thrown out to rot are being self-righteous, toxic assholes.

I dunno. at this point i'm just ranting really. this whole situation just fucking bums me out and angers me. i've been a fan of zoe since before GG even happened and it fucking sucks so bad that so much of her personal life is now used as fuel for internet trashfires. and i just really, really wish era would do better to not be another trashfire.
The speed at which you throw out generalizations to try and support your weak argument is irresponsible. There are bad, harmful replies to serious issues. That's why we have moderators. To try and shut down discussion and paint this black and white image in order to support it - this is poison.

Maybe you should step off your soap box and cope for a bit. As you said, this situation has upset you. I'm not convinced you're currently in a position to be arbiter of justice and right.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
It's obviously nonsense to suggest that these types of things should be banned from discussion on here. As others have pointed out, putting up a wall of silence is what's allowed this kind of toxic abuse culture to come about in the first place. However, I do believe actions should be taken to make sure these types of topics are talked about with the civility, levelheadedness and seriousness they deserve. For example, a strict policy against name-calling and insulting people (even alleged abusers) in these types of threads might be a good idea. Also against any posts that gleefully proclaim somebody's professional demise or turn the situation into some kind of spectacle. Basically, be supportive of the survivor and send good vibes their way, talk about the issue in a sober manner or stay out of the thread.

The conversation should be more focused around the victim I agree.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

What is due process exactly going to do in this situation specifically?

His sister... kind of alluded to him committing these crimes.

So he's guilty of imprisonment/kidnapping, assault, and sexual assault/rape and gets 10-20 years in the reporting to the police route.

Does this go any better for him.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (permanent): troll account
This is the second thread in recent memory on this forum with pages of people calling someone a "piece of shit" and then days later that "piece of shit" commits suicide.

Stop acting surprised when people kill themselves after being told they're an irredeemable piece of shit.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is the second thread in recent memory on this forum with pages of people calling someone a "piece of shit" and then days later that "piece of shit" commits suicide.

Stop acting surprised when people kill themselves after being told they're an irredeemable piece of shit.

What he did was bad. Really bad. Get out of here with this.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This shit bums me out too and disgusts me. His death (And I'm assuming suicide) reeks of a manipulative behavior that I can't quite put into words right now. Alec has permanently altered the course of the #MeToo resurgence happening in games media and caused even more irreparable harm and damage to victims.

It fucking sucks man.

So he killed himself as a final act of divine revenge?

Come on dude, lets climb down from this tree you're going up.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Man, people are actually going after the victim over this...
Some times I wish I could unsee things on the internet.

Oct 26, 2017

Stop acting surprised when people kill themselves after being told they're irredeemable pieces of shit.

The thing is, should people be able to be fired at all for anything in any context?

Because I'm guessing getting fired from his job for committing crimes is more relevant.

Or people not wanting to be friends with him moving forward.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I think Twitter needs to be shut down, or the comment/reply/@ system needs to be completely, utterly rethought from the ground up.

Right now, the only thing it's really good for is fanning flames into hellstorms.
Yeah, I really hate that people use @ to shove all their bile directly into others' faces like that, with the added brigading multiplying effect.

I'm comfortable discussing my bad takes on the sidelines, out of the way, but regardless of the issue, I generally don't like the paradigm of having n people who can directly submerge one person with all their ire.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Era didn't kill these people. People on Era posting about these people didn't kill these people. This kind of disingenuous "look at who the real monsters are" posting doesn't benefit anyone.

That's not to say the discourse around these kinds of discussions couldn't be tightened up (it absolutely, 100% could), but Era is just a reflection of the way society on the whole reacts to these kinds of stories. We're microcosmic.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Ok I'm just going to call out this kind of thinking. Yes at some point our justice system needs to get better about both convicting and rehabilitating those who commit sexual assault but is the first thought you have learning someone violently raped another is wow i hope he gets the help he needs?

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
What is due process exactly going to do in this situation specifically?

His sister... kind of alluded to him committing these crimes.

So he's guilty of imprisonment/kidnapping, assault, and sexual assault/rape and gets 10-20 years in the reporting to the police route.

Does this go any better for him.

Yes. He might not have died tragically.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's shocking that some would actually blame this most unfortunate event on those who came forward about his wrongdoings.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
So he killed himself as a final act of divine revenge?

Come on dude, lets climb down from this tree you're going up.
I really can't put my feelings into words that I feel accurate describe how I'm feeling. I don't believe he did it for that reason but the effects of his death will forever haunt Zoe.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He (probably) didn't do it consciously. But it will 100% sure have a ripple effect in all future gaming #metoo outings. Specially as people are treating Zoe like she has blood on her hands.
Well I mean, in some ways it should considering how this all went down.

You know there's a big difference in the personal lives of Harvey Weinstein vs some Indie Developer, one is probably going to weather the storm better than the other.

To be clear, not saying that victims shouldn't air their stories, talking about the handling of everything after that moment.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017

You're already gone, but there's a pretty big fucking difference between ranting into the void and... going onto a mutually shared space and howling terrible things at someone directly with thousands of other incendiary missives.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. He might not have died tragically.

So after getting help for years the process of being accused caused him to committ suicide but being charged and facing 20 years in prison he would have mentally been completely ok?

Just look at Jeffrey Epstein as a clear example of how the justice system does not protect people from ending their life and he actually was being monitored

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I really hate that people use @ to shove all their bile directly into others' faces like that, with the added brigading multiplying effect.

I'm comfortable discussing my bad takes on the sidelines, out of the way, but regardless of the issue, I generally don't like the paradigm of having n people who can directly submerge one person with all their ire.

Exactly. Maybe giving people the power to scream directly at other people they don't know and would otherwise never have any interaction with, with no consequences, was a bad idea.

And maybe having a laissez-faire libertarian douchebag like Jack Dorsey in control of the company that allows that to happen was an even worse idea.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Extremely sad news all around, I hope his sister as well Zoe can see past all of the stuff they're getting thrown at them and know it wasn't and isn't their fault. While I don't condone what he did at all may he Rest In Peace. Nobody should abused not her not him. What a horrible set of events all around.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
I don't get the users who say we should ban discussions on these kind of topics. They're related to the gaming culture and industry so they should be discussed on this forum. On top of that there's an ignore button for thos who don't want to discuss these kind of problems.

Victims should be allowed to make these problems public if there's no other way. The abusers need to face consequences and should be condemned and punished accordingly. However, I don't like attacking people on Twitter and forums and constantly calling them trash. That's what leads to unfortunte events like the things in this thread.

I have faith in the mods to keep discussions on touchy subjects civil.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any one person is to blame. Certainly not the accusers, who were trying to raise awareness of hurtful behavior. Their only hope was that others wouldn't become victims.

But Alec was still human at the end of the day. I don't think the human psyche is cut out to handle the weight of the digital world crashing down on it. (Frankly, I don't think the human psyche is cut out for the internet in general.)

We need to ask ourselves, before adding our voices to the chorus: What tone are we taking? What is our intent? What do we want to happen to the accused?

Do we want the accused to see the error of his ways, and then apologize and make amends? Will we allow redemption?

Or do we want the accused to see the error of his ways — and then suffer forever and ever without end, with no hope of redemption and no route back to society, forever ugly in the eyes in the world, forever a monster?

If the latter, what does it accomplish? Where else does it inevitably lead, other than suicide, or living while dead inside?

Ultimately, though, I don't know what the correct balance is — the sweet spot between firm and fair. But we're going to see more incidents like this if we don't figure it out soon.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
I can't imagine how the fear of going to prison for 10-20 years would be less of a suicide risk.

People are terrified and humiliated by prison. Just because prison is the traditional route doesn't mean it's more kind.

We can "what if" about the situation forever, but the overall point is that the societal methods of handling cases of abuse are there for a reason, and always improving. Victims should always be encouraged to go to the authorities. Always.

The #MeToo era is important as it's inspiring real change and drawing attention to these important topics. Part of that messaging needs to be that any victims should always feel that they are able to go to the authorities.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I don't think we should ban discussion, if someone does something bad we need to know about it.

But going forward, there needs to be guidelines about how these sort of threads take place. And not just staff updates once things go off the rails, like proper rules on discussing accusations agaisnt real people.

Because even if Era isn't responsible for this or isn't the reason he killed hismelf (I assume it isn't as I ain't seen people suggesting to brigade him or stuff) the problem is that we also need to be aware of the wider scope. Every person who does something bad that we discuss is likely getting targeted by hundreds upon hundreds of Twitter users doxxers and death threats, etc. Page after page describing him as a repugnant piece of shit, whether deserving or not, is just sort of adding onto the hate train or encouraging those who take it too far.

If someone does something as scummy as he did we should be allowed to bring attention to it, and they shouldn't get away with it. But the reality is humans can be pushed over the edge easily and none of us want to feel responsible or unwittingly contribute to situations that end up like this.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yet again, someone kills themselves and the bad faith arguers blame Era because people are discussing a topic.

I didn't know Era had such a way with words.

You would think his colleagues or possibly his wife turning on him would be the catalyst.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
well... i was just playing control and looked at tweetdeck on my second monitor and the news scrolled back. fuck. this is just the worst. what a fucking horrendous mess.

huge sympathies to everyone involved. even to alec. for all the awful stuff he did, this shouldn't have been the end. i cant imagine what his sister and family are going through right now. i can see people on twitter arguing and harassing her in her mentions. human beings are the worst sometimes. also i hope that zoe is doing ok right now. i can only imagine the fucking weight of speaking out about your trauma and this being the outcome. it was entirely right for her to speak about it, but i know if it was me i'd still be feeling awful right now if speaking up led to this. i hope she is safe and well and with friends.

and i 100% think we need to be able to talk in this forum about this kind of stuff. this needs to be an ongoing discourse that we have, in these forums, on twitter, in the industry, with our families and friends. you cannot shy away from shining a light on these things, lest they repeat again and again.

what a dismal day. what a hard week.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
We can "what if" about the situation forever, but the overall point is that the societal methods of handling cases of abuse are there for a reason, and always improving. Victims should always be encouraged to go to the authorities. Always.

The #MeToo era is important as it's inspiring real change and drawing attention to these important topics. Part of that messaging needs to be that any victims should always feel that they are able to go to the authorities.

Yes and no. Going to the authorities generally doesn't do anything on its own. Rape and assault cases are rarely handled well by the justice system.

MeToo is about forcing the entire world to wake up and confront these harsh truths and to force modern society to grow and evolve. It's not just about telling people "it's okay to call the cops".

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017

But the #MeToo movement exists because society and institutions have fundamentally failed to protect us and give victims justice. The fact that people find it necessary to broadcast this stuff to the entire world, instead of locally going through "proper channels" should tell you everything you need to know.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Yes and no. Going to the authorities generally doesn't do anything on its own. Rape and assault cases are rarely handled well by the justice system.

MeToo is about forcing the entire world to wake up and confront these harsh truths and to force modern society to grow and evolve. It's not just about telling people "it's okay to call the cops".

But the #MeToo movement exists because society and institutions have fundamentally failed to protect us and give victims justice. The fact that people find it necessary to broadcast this stuff to the entire world, instead of locally going through "proper channels" should tell you everything you need to know.

MeToo exists in part because going to the authorities very, very often doesn't work.

The message is that the authorities don't do enough to help the victims with their cases. The #MeToo era is here to tell people that they need to wake up, because there are so many people being abused. The #MeToo movement wants to raise awereness for abuse and condemn it.

Yes, I said it needs to be part of the messaging.

Forcing the world to wake up is great, informing people on what to do if they are victimized is also important. Both parts are necessary to improve the judicial system.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I'm not sure what you're objecting to about my post. He absolutely deserved to be thrown out of the industry for what he did.

More in reference to those saying that he shouldn't have killed himself. I don't know...after Erika, and Alec...I know Erika did it, and I hope Alec did it for the same reason, it was their attempt at penance, at anknowleging the pain and suffering they caused and accepting their responsibility for it in a way that beyond any other way, at least in my opinion meant it was genuine and not simply a attempt to return to society.

Was it misguided? Yeah, all this chaos with his family, friends, and this discourse, he launched it, but I think suicidal people have a difficult time with understanding how the aftermath goes down, but his wish according to his sister, that Zoe not be blamed makes me think it was that wish to accept fault.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

MeToo exists in part because going to the authorities very, very often doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.