• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a pretty massive contradiction that people think we should talk less about abuse and that the victims should be more silent when the abuser was a former victim himself who, if he had been free to be more open and talk about it earlier on in his life, might have got the help he needed to not turn into an abuser and eventually take his own life as a result.

But silence is the answer, sure. Just let the courts handle it somehow. It's better if we don't actually figure out how to deal with these issues as a culture, because it's not our place, and victims should know that nobody wants to hear about it unless it's in a courtroom.
Yup, this is an incredibly good point. Speaking out about abuse helps everyone, and that's how you prevent further instances of abuse. If the lesson you are taking from this is 'victims should stay quiet' then you are an obstacle in the path forward to reducing abuse.

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
User Banned (1 month): dismissing assault allegations, account in junior phase
He was obviously a very troubled individual. I've dealt with depression off and on for most of my life. I usually just ignore these threads because they always turn so hateful and vitriolic. I'm sure he did most if not all of the things he was accused of. He was a person as well though. I think we all need to remember that anyone can say anything about anyone. That doesn't make it fact. Often the truth lies skewed somewhere in the middle. The self righteousness and sanctimonious posts of some of the users here and elsewhere just amplify how fucked up we as a society have become. Hope all parties involved including Alec find some peace in this ending.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The victim speaking out is not what caused this, c'mon people.
There's a lot of things to take in consideration here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Which is why I said in my last post that we need to change the laws. At present the laws don't work as well as they should but they work better than Twitter Justice.

The laws aren't the problem as much as contemporary culture is. Women who accuse men of rape are often saddled with hostile judges and unsympathetic juries, because culture tends to skew on the side of misogyny when left to its own devices.

We need to change the system entirely, and the way you change the system is by making these kinds of crimes so public that the world is forced to reevaluate the way we deal with them and talk about them. They can't be whispered secrets and "did you hear that..."s anymore. We have to do better, and when I say "we" I mean everyone, not just Era.

And yes, nuke Twitter from orbit. Or more productively, seize the company's assets and force them to actually moderate the site instead of letting them dance around in libertarian funland. Fuck Twitter for enabling humanity's worst excesses.

Stuggatz

Jun 6, 2018
She has a right to speak about what happened to her and it would be an impossibility to make people just not react to such a terrible thing.
Person A: "This thing is a dumb idea that leads to terrible results!"
Person B: "That person has a right to do that thing!"

These people don't disagree.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
This instance proves Twitter doesn't work any better than our courts.
And yet people continue to choose Twitter and similar avenues over the courts. You want the laws to be changed but until the justice system is actually capable of handling this shit (and it's a long fucking way to that point if we ever get there), you do not get to decide how and where victims share their stories.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not what I'm saying. That's a strawman. I'm discussing the wisdom and consequences of using Twitter as a weapon. I'm not advocating outlawing the weapon.
I mean I also hate Twitter but giving a platform for abuse victims to speak out and be heard is like one of the few positives of the platform. Unfortunately it does nothing to protect them after they've done so. Either way I don't really think Twitter is the main problem here, more the way our society deals with the subject of abuse and victimization in general.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you deny her the freedom to speak publically about the abuse she suffered? She has that right, to speak about it in the manner in which she chooses.

This is such an important post.

It is up to the victim to speak their truth. Me too gave victims a climate in which they could speak out and get resolutions because the justice system has failed them.

Trying to silence these victims is baffling to me. People are really hypocritical about this.

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People being able to name and shame their abusers on the internet is an attack on the status quo, where they would have no avenue to talk about it what happened. People are clinging onto the status quo because it makes them comfortable. Like how people on here are calling for talks like this to be quieter, it makes them uncomfortable, they can deny it all they want and shift blame to Era or Twitter or whatever they want, but they're helping keep the status quo. I hope Era does not put a ban on tough subjects like this.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
This instance proves Twitter doesn't work any better than our courts.

Can you point to the Twitter justice? Which tweets specifically led to a man with a history of mental illness killing himself? If being confronted by his own actions resulted in this that is genuinely tragic and it's awful that he didn't think there were any other options, but I'm not sure why you think someone who isn't able to face the reality of their own actions would fare better being brought on trial or facing jail time. Is it just better because you personally would have been less likely to hear about it?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I also hate Twitter but giving a platform for abuse victims to speak out and be heard is like one of the few positives of the platform. Unfortunately it does nothing to protect them after they've done so. Either way I don't really think Twitter is the main problem here, more the way our society deals with the subject of abuse and victimization in general.

At the bare minimum, Twitter's completely laissez-faire attitude toward moderation and the utterly IDIOTIC @ system need to be called out. Twitter loves to pretend it's this tremendous force for good but the exact same systems that allow it to support things like #Metoo also allow hate campaigns and large-scale harassment to be carried out, and the company does not care.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It wasn't a matter of respect, it was a sickening running commentary on a persons decline into death. This kind of forum peanut gallery for peoples lives they know nothing about always seems to do more harm than good.

Be honest, if you found out I killed myself, would you really give a shit about it when I was calling you hateful names and slurs like 2 days before I did the deed?

Or would you have told me to fuck off because of what I said?

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I don't think it was wrong for Zoe or Alec's other victims to out him the way they did. They didn't really have any other options and they deserved to be heard. What happened to them IMO is truly horrible and Alec deserved to face repercussions for what happened. Trying to silence victims or imply that Zoe or any of his victims are "responsible" for his death in any way is just a really bad, insensitive take that prioritizes the abuser over his victims which we should not be doing.

But that being said there is also a place to discuss Alec's mental health issues and the cycle of abuse. I can't view the posts that detailed what happened to him since Alec's sister understandably locked her account, so I can't speak with too much detail about those, but in a general sense: it absolutely does not absolve Alec of his actions in any way, there are plenty of people who suffer abuse that do not become abusers. At the end of the day he still is accountable for the things he did. But at the same time I think it's disingenuous to pretend that this abuse, especially if it was some serious shit, did not mold him into the person he eventually became, especially from the statistics that I am reading.

It's not even about feeling sorry for him, or prioritizing him over his victims, what he did is absolutely shitty no matter what and he is measurably an awful person, it's about promoting understanding. A lot of people have this completely wrong idea that the people who rape, abuse or do other shitty things are "monsters" completely separate from the rest of humanity, and that in itself is a huge problem because it leads people to think that certain people couldn't POSSIBLY do horrible things, or blind themselves to the reality and effects of their own actions because they don't want to see themselves as a "monster". People are multifaceted and complex and we struggle with that reality all the time. So it's important in a sense to remember that people don't just spring fully formed into the world as rapists and abusers, they had a whole journey to become the person who would do those things. It's important to remember that, not only in terms of recognizing these things in other people, but to diagnose these things in yourself and get help so that you don't hurt the other people around you.

In the end this was just a fucked situation that ended with a horrible outcome.

What Alec did IMO is unforgivable and he deserved to face the consequences, but even people who do unforgivable things shouldn't die. Life goes on and they just have to carve whatever life they can and try to live and be better to the extent that they are able. Obviously if he has depression he wouldn't have been able to handle the guilt of his crimes, and that's tragic but again, not Zoe or the victims' fault.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It's important to speak out about abuse. If the knowledge is out there it can protect other people from becoming victims of the abuser. And it's a chance for catharsis for the victim. How the accused chooses to react to getting outed should not be of any concern to people who would speak out about abuse they have faced.

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
I don't really pretend to know the answers here, only ones I got are its sad dude killed himself considering his whole situation and zoe was right in calling him out. Saying otherwise for either of these things makes you pretty callous.

Stuggatz

Jun 6, 2018
The laws aren't the problem as much as contemporary culture is. Women who accuse men of rape are often saddled with hostile judges and unsympathetic juries, because culture tends to skew on the side of misogyny when left to its own devices.

We need to change the system entirely, and the way you change the system is by making these kinds of crimes so public that the world is forced to reevaluate the way we deal with them and talk about them. They can't be whispered secrets and "did you hear that..."s anymore. We have to do better, and when I say "we" I mean everyone, not just Era.

And yes, nuke Twitter from orbit. Or more productively, seize the company's assets and force them to actually moderate the site instead of letting them dance around in libertarian funland. Fuck Twitter for enabling humanity's worst excesses.
I think that's a good point about changing our culture. I'm not sold that social media allegations are an effective way to go about that change, but I'm open to the idea.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Yup, this is an incredibly good point. Speaking out about abuse helps everyone, and that's how you prevent further instances of abuse. If the lesson you are taking from this is 'victims should stay quiet' then you are an obstacle in the path forward to reducing abuse.

I'm starting to think people might not actually want there to be less instances of abuse and suicide but just less of those instances that they have to hear about and then feel guilty.

Be honest, if you found out I killed myself, would you really give a shit about it when I was calling you hateful names and slurs like 2 days before I did the deed?

Or would you have told me to fuck off because of what I said?

You guys really can't stop making yourself look awful every chance you get on this topic, huh?

Stuggatz

Jun 6, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Concern trolling over sexual assault allegations over multiple posts in this thread
It's important to speak out about abuse. If the knowledge is out there it can protect other people from becoming victims of the abuser. And it's a chance for catharsis for the victim. How the accused chooses to react to getting outed should not be of any concern to people who would speak out about abuse they have faced.
If we have no concern for the well-being of the accused, then why should we be concerned for the well-being of the accuser?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is such an important post.

It is up to the victim to speak their truth. Me too gave victims a climate in which they could speak out and get resolutions because the justice system has failed them.

Trying to silence these victims is baffling to me. People are really hypocritical about this.
I just don't think victims are responsible for the way society mishandles these situations after they speak out publically. Like yeah, the tendency for people to dehumanize others in these situations because they see an opportunity to be morally superior is a problem. The idea that individuals who hurt others should be tortured and subjected to suffering at the hands of the state or others rather than having a focus on rehabilitation is a problem. But none of that is the responsibility of the victim, who is simply stating what happened to them.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Which is why I said in my last post that we need to change the laws. At present the laws don't work as well as they should but they work better than Twitter Justice.

Laws could be, need to be, better, but I think the thing that's always missed in these discussions is that the process of getting justice can itself be a burden.

It's not like I'm very familiar with these exact processes myself, I should be clear. But just think about it on a slightly deeper level- you can't just make a police report and walk away and they handle it all for you, right? You're now tied to it, you have to keep participating in it. Even if you're somehow treated incredibly respectfully, that still takes time and money and energy.

And meanwhile, you're still known as the person who made that accusation, even if it's done through the court system. And that can obviously ruin friendships, get you treated badly, can hurt your ability to get work, ruin your ability to be in communities where the person you're accusing is respected, etc. And what if, in the end, they get away with it? Or if you just can't deal with the process anymore, and you have to drop it, and without you there's nothing to prove it? Now you're known as the person who made a false accusation. And course, even if you're lucky enough to get a guilty verdict, some people are going to blame you for it anyway or view you as trouble.

And it doesn't even matter if these concerns are realistic or not in practice, because fear of any of it being the case is part of why people will stay silent. So... it's not just a matter of the law, really. And honestly, even if society was far better about these things, it'd still take that time and money and energy to deal with, and that's a thing people have to judge if they're up for.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
If we have no concern for the well-being of the accused, then why should we be concerned for the well-being of the accuser?

I'm going to keep pointing this out to you: the man who killed himself is also an accuser.

Does that make you feel more or less concerned about his well being, given your overall stance in this thread?

Stuggatz

Jun 6, 2018
Can you point to the Twitter justice? Which tweets specifically led to a man with a history of mental illness killing himself? If being confronted by his own actions resulted in this that is genuinely tragic and it's awful that he didn't think there were any other options, but I'm not sure why you think someone who isn't able to face the reality of their own actions would fare better being brought on trial or facing jail time. Is it just better because you personally would have been less likely to hear about it?
I don't think it's a coincidence that he killed himself after these accusations resulted in the loss of his job and status. A more reasonable form of justice permits a person to respond to the allegations before facing consequences for them.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to think people might not actually want there to be less instances of abuse and suicide but just less of those instances that they have to hear about and then feel guilty.

You guys really can't stop making yourself look awful every chance you get on this topic, huh?
Yeah because that's easier. That's how things used to be prior to the 70's, when things like rape and child abuse were seen as 'not a big deal'. Then society realized, oh wait, this is a big problem...and then took that knowledge and instead of supporting victims and working to prevent more abuse, just created a bunch of further problems. Our society fucking sucks at handling this shit, but if people stay silent then it will never get better. Those of us who have personal experience with abuse can't let that happen...and that's why Zoe Quinn came forward. That's why all victims come forward. To be heard and hopefully contribute to change and a solution.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
The hell? What did I do?

The point I was trying to make was that it seems very easy to call for "sensitivity and understanding" when you're not the target of something horrible.

Watching people go out of their way to continue to slander a dude who spent a year very obviously deteriorating from mental illness before taking his own life is aggressively unpleasant.

I reject the idea that a lack of empathy or understanding is a default state of being. As a queer woman who also suffers from mental illness, I'm personally capable of nuance, and it's actually not that hard to pull off.

Stuggatz

Jun 6, 2018
Laws could be, need to be, better, but I think the thing that's always missed in these discussions is that the process of getting justice can itself be a burden.

It's not like I'm very familiar with these exact processes myself, I should be clear. But just think about it on a slightly deeper level- you can't just make a police report and walk away and they handle it all for you, right? You're now tied to it, you have to keep participating in it. Even if you're somehow treated incredibly respectfully, that still takes time and money and energy.

And meanwhile, you're known as the person who made that accusation. And that can obviously ruin friendships, get you treated badly, can hurt your ability to get work, ruin your ability to be in communities where the person you're accusing is respected, etc. And what if, in the end, they get away with it? Or if you just can't deal with the process anymore, and you have to drop it, and without you there's nothing to prove it? Now you're known as the person who made a false accusation. And course, even if you're lucky enough to get a guilty verdict, some people are going to blame you for it anyway or view you as trouble.

And it doesn't even matter if these concerns are realistic or not in practice, because fear of any of it being the case is part of why people will stay silent. So... it's not just a matter of the law, really. And honestly, even if society was far better about these things, it'd still take that time and money and energy to deal with, and that's a thing people have to judge if they're up for.
Even if you make the allegation on Twitter instead of filing a report, you're still tied to it. You still have to live with it. You can still be thought of as a person that made everything up. The only difference I see is Twitter Justice is more likely to yield results; and faster.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a coincidence that he killed himself after these accusations resulted in the loss of his job and status. A more reasonable form of justice permits a person to respond to the allegations before facing consequences for them.

I'll be blunt: it's not the responsibility of the public to coddle an accused rapist and make sure he gets to keep his comfortable job and industry status after being accused of rape and kidnapping.

If he killed himself because the world found out about the horrible things he did, that was his choice. A regrettable choice, but it was still his choice to make.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Awh, fuck. I wish he could have worked towards change. This is not a solution. That's terrible. The guilt must have been extreme, but I'd never want someone to die. There should be no blame thrown towards those abused who called him out. I just wish this could have been resolved differently. Terrible ending to a terrible story.

Demption

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why these people dont talk to the police but instead to twitter followers. Someone said that we should not talk about game devs personal lifes but it's real hard when they wrote these kind of stuff to twitter.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The hell? What did I do?

The point I was trying to make was that it seems very easy to call for "sensitivity and understanding" when you're not the target of something horrible.

You just admitted to not giving a shit about someones suicide if they called you something offensive a few days prior, even if they were evidently severely troubled to where they were not acting like how they used to. Id say you have a lot of growing to do and should probably start with not referring to suicide as "doing the deed"

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why these people dont talk to the police but instead to twitter followers. Someone said that we should not talk about game devs personal lifes but it's real hard when they wrote these kind of stuff to twitter.

Because the police are not helpful in these kinds of cases. For fuck's sake, cops aren't even good at getting back stolen bikes and you expect them to be able to handle a case like this?

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I read some of this earlier and the people saying the want Era to basically focus on just discussing games in a nice, hype focussed way, and not to feature discussions like troubling issues like this...

I'm a little torn. More from a really selfish basis and wanting to preserve my sanity from time to time while still being able to come on this site. Sometimes I just avoid Etcetera because there's so much depressing shit. It's nice to just come back to Gaming and get excited about the future next gen consoles or whatever. However, no, I don't think these kinds of discussions should be curtailed.

If I could choose it, however, I would quite like to be able to filter these sorts of stories out altogether sometimes. Maybe put them under a different sub category of discussions?

I dunno, it's not easy. We can't hide from this stuff, and indeed all sorts of injustices regarding the gaming industry and the people who make or report about the games we play shouldn't be hidden. I'm just asking for maybe some filtering of some sort.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Because talking to the police statistically is not very helpful. Most accusations don't result in convictions.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

I keep seeing this come up and it should be clearly stated: he was not fired. He had his own studio. The only work he was still doing with NITW that got canceled was collaborating on a Kickstarter bonus.

Beyond that... it's hard to word my response to what you're saying. But I don't think what you're saying makes as much sense as you think it does.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I'm really trouble by this. I not only hope for the well-being of his family, but his accusers, too. I fear that people will attack them for this.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I read some of this earlier and the people saying the want Era to basically focus on just discussing games in a nice, hype focussed way, and not to feature discussions like troubling issues like this...

I'm a little torn. More from a really selfish basis and wanting to preserve my sanity from time to time while still being able to come on this site. Sometimes I just avoid Etcetera because there's so much depressing shit. It's nice to just come back to Gaming and get excited about the future next gen consoles or whatever. However, no, I don't think these kinds of discussions should be curtailed.

If I could choose it, however, I would quite like to be able to filter these sorts of stories out altogether sometimes. Maybe put them under a different sub category of discussions?

I dunno, it's not easy. We can't hide from this stuff, and indeed all sorts of injustices regarding the gaming industry and the people who make or report about the games we play shouldn't be hidden. I'm just asking for maybe some filtering of some sort.
You can as many threads as you like.
Nobody forces you to come in those in the first place.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The hell? What did I do?

You do realize that most victims of abuse don't advocate for the deaths or torture or whatever of abusers, right? That most people who have experienced this, while they do have anger about what has happened to them, most of them just want further suffering to end. You aren't on the side of victims when you post shit like what you've been posting. Sensitivity and understanding are the bare fucking miminimum when it comes to approaching situations like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.