• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
(CW: graphic descriptions of abuse)

Jesus. Hopefully we're beginning to see some of these scummy people in game dev have to face consequences for their actions. I hope it's not as widespread as it is in other entertainment industries.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: Stop misquoting this post to fucking gloat. I never once wished such a tragedy to occur. It's a sad ending that I neither foresaw nor wanted.

This is a tragedy, and my heart goes out to everyone involved.

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck. That was my go-to for wholesome and meaningful indie games for the way they handled mental issues. I feel sick.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
another creator I had respect for turning out to be a monster...

OP
OP
TacomaSCDisaster
Oct 28, 2017
Fuck. That was my go-to for wholesome and meaningful indie games for the way they handled mental issues. I feel sick.
I feel similarly disgusted. I adore Night in the Woods. It helped me through some difficult stuff.

I have a tattoo based on one of Scott Benson's designs so I hope he didn't know about this. Zoe follows him on Twitter so hopefully that's a good sign...?

I'll get it covered up if I have to but I really hope not.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Good god, so many disgusting sexual assaulters coming to light. Her courage to come forward deserves all the respect - I hope she can heal and feel safe. These stories tonight have been terrifying.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
While I'm not sure I regret buying Night in the Woods while being unaware, I wouldn't have bought it had I learned of this beforehand.

What a fucking awful man this Alec Holowka. That part about
jamming his fingers inside her and "walking her around the house by them"
is downright repugnant.

Was he a lead writer on NitW? Because it's extra sickening that someone would use his understanding of mental issues and depression for predatory purposes, which seems like what he was doing there.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Was he a lead writer on NitW? Because it's extra sickening that someone would use his understanding of mental issues and depression for predatory purposes, which seems like what he was doing there.
Composer, Designer and Programmer. He wasn't involved with the writing it seems though he did found the studio that made the game alongside Scott Benson.

HellBlazer

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Horrible.

No, Bethany Hockenberry and Scott Benson are the writers on the game. Holowka collaborated with them on design, programming and music.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Composer, Designer and Programmer. He wasn't involved with the writing it seems though he did found the studio that made the game alongside Scott Benson.
Got it.

Still sucks thathe is one of the project leads.

I just realized that the bit with graphic depiction of abuse that I included in my post is something better put under spoilers due to it's sensitive nature. Could you please edit out that part of the quote.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Got it.

Still sucks thathe is one of the project leads.

I just realized that the bit with graphic depiction of abuse that I included in my post is something better put under spoilers due to it's sensitive nature. Could you please edit out that part of my quote.
Done :)

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
This is so horrible. What a fucking creep.

EDIT: Created a thread in the Night in the Wood's subreddit. Hopefully it's not overrun by idiots like the ones in the Skyrim thread.

Last edited:

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
After the rape story, now sexual assault...

Do these people have nothing else to do ?
I'm baffled. I just don't understand the need to do something like that.
And even worse, the act itself. Thinking is something, acting is another level.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no. One of my favourite games of later years, and such great, humanist writing.

I just can't.

Oct 26, 2017
Title is slightly incorrect, Zoe accused Alec Holowka of emotional and physical abuse following her being sexually assaulted. At least from what I can tell from reading it.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I have absolutely seen people say he was a creep before, so I 100% believe it. It's gonna suck to learn this stuff but it's important that it gets out there.

I'm a NitW fan, actually I'm literally wearing a NitW shirt right now (that was a fun thing to suddenly have click when I started this post), but have always felt uncomfortable about the music after hearing as much. I guess that's weird, it's not like it's the only thing he touched so it's arbitrary, but still.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still think NitW is a fantastic game but...real shame this idiot is attached to it. I wonder if Benson is going to have any public reply on this.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I absolutely get why'd she'd keep this to herself for so long... Remember the shit she had to go through last time?
Takes a fucking lot to do this, but I'm glad she did!

Hopefully this snowballs into something and more people speak up!

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I absolutely get why'd she'd keep this to herself for so long... Remember the shit she had to go through last time?
Takes a fucking lot to do this, but I'm glad she did!

Hopefully this snowballs into something and more people speak up!

Hopefully, but we all know the majority of the community is toxic as hell. Brave of her to get this out here, maybe it will give others the push they need to come forward.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank god hes not a part of the actually amazing part of the game(writing and art), jesus put him in a goddamn prison

I had buyer's remorse after. I thought it was pretty average and never understood the heaps of praise. You did yourself a favour, IMO.
This is being ignorant of the game's wildly amazing handling of gay and mentally ill characters. People dont praise it for the gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.