• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From the Untold History of Japanese Developers vol 3:

Sega were planning on making a Dragon Ball game... I guess this happened long enough ago that it's okay for me to talk about this! The project began as a Dragon Ball title, not as a direct competitor to Super Mario Bros.
But when we were told we could not use the Dragon Ball licence any more, we were forced to come up with our own ideas instead. For example, when it was Dragon Ball, Goku fought with his Power Pole, but we changed that to a punch attack. It was only after we came up with the plan to restart the project as Alex Kidd in Miracle World that we starting thinking about Mario, and looking for ways in which to differentiate the title from it.

Wow. Now, suddenly, the focus on Janken in Alex Kidd makes way more sense.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much level layouts changed during the production, because thinking back to the original Dragon Ball arc, the levels actually line up pretty well with locations from the game. Like the lake at the very beginning -- is that supposed to be the lake where Goku catches the fish before meeting Bulma? Also makes the sections where they travel on motor cycle a bit less random. And I guess the huge castle at the end was Pilaf's?

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it makes sense, doesn't he have a nimbus?

I feel like Alex Kidd wasn't good except the only arcade version.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it makes sense, doesn't he have a nimbus?

I feel like Alex Kidd wasn't good except the only arcade version.

No, Alex Kidd has a helicopter, he doesn't ride a cloud.

But man, I'm wondering now if the ring is supposed to actually be the kamehameha.

The arcade version of Lost Stars is indeed the best "pure" Alex Kidd game, but Miracle World isn't bad. It's just the shit-ass Janken bosses that ruin the game. If they were more normal bosses, I bet the game would have been remembered waaaay better. And, as easy as it is, I played the shit out of the SMS version of Lost Stars as a kid. That was a weird fucking game.

But Alex Kidd in Shinobi World is legitimately a great game. By far the best Alex Kidd game, even if it's more of a shinobi game than an alex kidd game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fond memories of miracle world. Much better than the genesis game

The genesis game would have been ok except for the awful, awful jump and attack controls. the jump button was both jump and jump-attack. It never felt right, and that game had such a huge number of flying enemies. It was one step forward from Miracle World, two steps back.

They kept getting so close to a great, traditional Alex Kidd game and just never got it right.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My hottest of takes: Alex Kidd in Miracle World was better than any Mario in the same timeframe.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
As a Dragon Ball fan, i shall now claim Alex Kidd is the best platformer & Mario is overrated trash.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Miracle World is better than SMB and SMB2. Only SMB3 surpasses it
Miracle World still had better castles, and a villain with a fist head that flies is scarier than bowser

Anyone disagreeing is obviously wrong and need to git gud at janken

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Miracle World is better than SMB and SMB2. Only SMB3 surpasses it
Miracle World still had better castles, and a villain with a fist head that flies is scarier than bowser

Anyone disagreeing is obviously wrong and need to git gud at janken
I think Alex Kidd had great ideas but terrible execution. Maybe it was good enough for the time, but the Super Mario games aged much better because their execution and gameplay was flawless.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I think Alex Kidd had great ideas but terrible execution.

That might be true for half of the alex kidd games (the other half is terrible ideas and terrible execution) but Miracle World is a special case. There's nothing wrong with the core gameplay (janken bosses are something else) and frankly, if people took the nostalgia glasses off they would realize the ideas behind SMB and specially SMB2 (which is just a dumb tv show game dressed as mario in the US and basically DLC for the first game in JP) are nothing special either. SMB3 is where Mario started standing out and crushing the opposition to me.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
That might be true for half of the alex kidd games (the other half is terrible ideas and terrible execution) but Miracle World is a special case. There's nothing wrong with the core gameplay (janken bosses are something else) and frankly, if people took the nostalgia glasses off they would realize the ideas behind SMB and specially SMB2 (which is just a dumb tv show game dressed as mario in the US and basically DLC for the first game in JP) are nothing special either. SMB3 is where Mario started standing out and crushing the opposition to me.
Alex is too fast and slippery. His punch is too short ranged. All the power ups are a mystery. Nothing feels really obvious in that game until you dedicate some time to get used to it. Mario is pure, highly polished gameplay, that is simple to understand. Even Doki Doki Panic.

I'm not saying you're wrong to prefer Alex Kidd, but even with equal opportunity, Mario would become far more popular than Alex Kidd.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
SMB2 is better than 3.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
That's cause you needed to have achieved Ultra Instinct to get past this bit.

SqdpTiO.jpg

Deleted member 24929

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's cause you needed to have achieved Ultra Instinct to get past this bit.

SqdpTiO.jpg

That part is easy, if you know what you have to do. Hard to explain, but when Alex is touching the spikes you have to press right and never up or down. Alex won't be killed. I died so many times before I knew that and the solution was so easy.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Alex Kidd was built into my Master System those were the days

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
That part is easy, if you know what you have to do. Hard to explain, but when Alex is touching the spikes you have to press right and never up or down. Alex won't be killed. I died so many times before I knew that and the solution was so easy.

If you're holding the "jump" button, Alex can't be hurt by the spikes above him. He'll just bounce off them.

It's not actually that hard. It's one of the few 8-bit games I've actually beaten. One of the easier games of its generation.

This is correct. The game gives you a large number of extra lives and resources, way more than its contemporaries. It's not necessarily easy, it has its tricky moments (including that Rosetta Stone stuff though once you know the trick, it's trivial), but it's one of the easier games of its time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad for people that didn't play the built in to the system burger eating version of Alex Kidd.

Every version of Master System with the Hamburger version of Alex Kidd completely lacks the snail maze game built in. I feel bad for kids who gave up snail maze for a small hamburger graphic.

Those SMS revisions also lack this:

IVg0qVU.gif

Give me the Sega Jingle at boot up every day.