• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I have a feeling AOC is gonna end up president when she becomes eligible. She just has everything going for her right now - she's turned into the voice of the American millennial and there isn't really anything the old power can do about it at this point.

I mean, when she's president the world will likely already be diving into Mad Max territory, but hey, little victories.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alright..Mitch has to be compromised in some serious way right? He must have placed self preservation ahead of all things?? no? Its nuts what is happening, and how its happening.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Alright..Mitch has to be compromised in some serious way right? He must have placed self preservation ahead of all things?? no? Its nuts what is happening, and how its happening.

His PAC did take Russian money.

But he's in a deep red state where loyalty to Trump is solely how most of your voters evaluate you. I think that's what it comes down to.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
oWLwZzw.jpg

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Have you ever come into contact with a snapping turtle?

Still an insult to them (I mean Snapping turtles are still way way more lovable than McConnell. Hell, Trump honestly is more likable, well not really likeable but at least not as hatable <- and that really really really says a lot). As I said, more like a tick (There's absolutely nothing likeable or wantable about a tick. They spread some really nasty diseases, are hard to cut through the shell, and they stick on you and suck your blood).

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard not to get excited for AOC's potential to steer the Democrat's future when everything she's done has been pitch-perfect so far.

With all the both sides bullshit and similar reminding everyone that Mitch is the vermin keeping the shutdown going (and in a way that can be easily memed to boot) is exactly what someone needed to do.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw this yesterday and thought, "this could be a thing."

Best part is that Mitch's best response is to say "I'm here!" Which is worse, because he's a giant knob.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling AOC is gonna end up president when she becomes eligible. She just has everything going for her right now - she's turned into the voice of the American millennial and there isn't really anything the old power can do about it at this point.

I mean, when she's president the world will likely already be diving into Mad Max territory, but hey, little victories.
Let's give her some time before we anoint her. She's off to a great start but let's see how she settles in.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Everytime I see that hashtag this comes to my mind:

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Let's give her some time before we anoint her. She's off to a great start but let's see how she settles in.

Regardless of whether she's suitable for Presidential candidacy, I think one of the most important things about AOC is that she's found a modern, relevant way to reach out to younger Americans and get them engaged in politics, talk about it, actually stop and think about how it affects their lives. Just being able to do even that, and get them to question today's political issues and apply to their own lives as Americans is an important public service.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
AOC's face in this lol

I am

|---|

this close to making my first Twitter account *exclusively* to follow AOC and like her tweets. She's on top of this shit in a way that makes you wonder why the fuck the rest of the Dems aren't. Not that other Dems aren't hustling out there, but she is her own PR department. She's not waiting on reporters to write a story or some shit; she's literally talking to the world every day and her support is growing exponentially as a result. I understand age and new media are not especially compatible and I'm not saying all the Dems need to learn to leverage Twitter the way someone who literally grew up with social media does...

...but the rest need to learn to use whatever media outlets they prefer to get their message out with her level of vigor and effectiveness.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
In previous shutdowns, both sides knew the shutdown itself was the big problem. That's why they tried to blame the shutdown on the other side. Politics 101, whether you're on the right side or wrong side.

But one of the tragically, hilariously different things about this shutdown is that Trump's corner is simultaneously saying how bad it is that Democrats are keeping the shutdown going while also downplaying the effect of the shutdown and saying how it's barely a big deal.

It's such a terrible conflict of messages and they're just not getting it, like they all need remedial classes in how to be in politics. Libertarian messages like "it's good the shutdown is making government smaller" garbage is directly countering the effort to pin the big bad shutdown on the Democrats - you can't call it a big bad shutdown one day, then say it's not all that bad of a shutdown the next. That is probably the biggest thing corroding Trump's support (especially since the Democrats' spine grew three times in size).

There is a part of me that wants to be a nice host of a children's show that is pleasant and kind to everybody, kind of like a Mr. Rogers kind of figure, just so that on one solitary day, I get the maximum effect of publically telling Ann Coulter to eat shit.

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
Every time the Republications does an immoral or stupid thing, everyone expects the Democrat to be incredibly incensed, and really push against it. To the point that Republican themselves always pre-critice them or even create wild conspiratorial theories, assuming that the hammer is about to be dropped from the other side.

But with few exceptions, it almost never happened. This was a constant during most of the Obama's administration, and remained the same during Trump's.
Good to see that the new blood (whom are new to their position, and thus aren't afraid of consequences) are pressing the matter in a more direct way. Hope Pelosi/Schumer retain their new found fire as well, because that will resonates with the younger audiences.

No one respects people that barks, but do not bite when needed.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
As an outsider looking in, I feel like part of what's making this work so much for AOC right now is that this is kind of weirdly low hanging fruit that it's honestly easy to rally people behind. She's able to paint herself as someone actually trying to keep Washington honest, or otherwise hold people to account, rather than just claiming she will. It's giving her a notability as well as a politician: In answer to a theoretical, 'What does AOC do for the country?', the answer can be, 'She's finding Mitch McConnell.'

I really do hope you guys let her go far.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I assume everyone but me already knows what the Senate Cloak Room is and why it's so important, but in my imagination the Republican reps all fly in as Dementors and that's where they ditch their cloak of smoke and shadows on landing.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Every time the Republications does an immoral or stupid thing, everyone expects the Democrat to be incredibly incensed, and really push against it. To the point that Republican themselves always pre-critice them or even create wild conspiratorial theories, assuming that the hammer is about to be dropped from the other side.

But with few exceptions, it almost never happened. This was a constant during most of the Obama's administration, and remained the same during Trump's.
Good to see that the new blood (whom are new to their position, and thus aren't afraid of consequences) are pressing the matter in a more direct way. Hope Pelosi/Schumer retain their new found fire as well, because that will resonates with the younger audiences.

Agreed, and make no mistake, this is a direct consequence of these same people growing up and/or maturing during 2010-2016. I can't even summarize all the bullshit we had to witness and endure, and then the resulting nonsense that followed.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017

This has been a problem since the 90's, really. Democrats bought into this idea that if you come across as the bigger man and don't respond to jabs, people will respect you.

But media doesn't work that way. They just gave Republicans all the air, let them frame the entire argument, and even in the absence of any actual lashing out from Democrats most people just assumed it was happening anyway.

You earn nothing when you don't clearly state your position and jab back when necessary. It's been a miscarriage of the entire point of politics, made exponentially worse by a system with only two viable parties.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, i love AOC to death, but it's very possible that since they were all together the group collectively came up with the #WheresMirch hashtag. They (meaning Katie Hill, Laurie Underwood, and Mike Levin) all started using it roughly around the same time as AOC.

AOC is great. But there are other great freshmen that deserve paying attention to. I think AOC is getting frustrated that she gets all the attention and some of the other great freshmen don't get much.
Yeah, Ayanna Pressley and Rashida Tlaib too. A pretty good group of freshman dems this year. AOC seems to be the most media savvy, but there's a whole group of people who just came into Congress sharing her ideology/ tactics. I'm hoping their ranks grow a lot more in 2020 too.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
Democratic groups like MoveOn started this off yesterday morning to get people calling their Republican senators about McConnell. AOC and House Dems delivered.