• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Part 1:

Part 2:

I thought this was amazing. Who thought a person could go on a show watched by millions and easily explain how tax rates work while eating ice cream in just a few minutes?

Lock if old.

whitehawk

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have the biggest crush on this girl. It's so refreshing to see a media savvy politician elected for the Dems.

Lv99 Slacker

Oct 27, 2017
And this is why the Billionaire's Boy's Club at Davos are shaking in their boots. With the media's tendency to report on AOC's every move, cuz capitalism/ratings, they are popularizing this policy proposal or giving it oxygen.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have the biggest crush on this girl. It's so refreshing to see a media savvy politician elected for the Dems.
giphy.gif

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's 2019 and there are people who DON'T know how marginal tax rates work? What? I was a slacker back in early high school but if I retained anything from civics class, it was a bare minimum understanding of tax brackets.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Republicans probably refuse to respond to her point about Eisenhower. This was beautiful.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's 2019 and there are people who DON'T know how marginal tax rates work? What? I was a slacker back in early high school but if I retained anything from civics class, it was a bare minimum understanding of tax brackets.

A lot of adults in the US would have issue passing the same test asked of immigrants trying to become citizens or reading at a high school level.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017

Well to point out the obvious, there are a lot of babies that were born in 2018 who may not be familiar with taxes yet

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018

Keeping people stupid on the matter is the best way to keep them submissive and naive to what really goes on while they get screwed.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
She gives me so much hope. I don't know what it is. She just seems so authentic and genuine about her mission. We need more people like her in government. A fresh perspective and vision. So awesome... I haven't been so pumped up about a politician since Obama was running for President.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Really good interview. I really like that she drove home that these marginal tax rates are not anything new in the country, and that they existed that way prior to the 1980s. I feel like a lot of conservatives like to fall back on the lazy argument that that is just our American values and that's how it always is. It was a good way to contextualize what is a radical idea in a lot of people's eyes.

ExpandedKang

Oct 30, 2017
It's one thing to be social media savvy, (her posting on twitter is S Tier) but to also be able to back it up with that kind of eloquence and the ability to explain ideas, relate them to people is what makes her so rare in politics. She is far more personable and down to earth than any American politician I can think of.

A lot of other politicians would have brought up the point about marginal tax rates, backed down after the typical media onslaught and tried to water down or justify what they were trying to say in a way that appeases everyone. She doubled down, explained her position further, gave historical context and will ultimately have the final word on the issue, in the process setting the agenda as opposed to the ones trying to shut down any talk of this nature.

It's a shame there's a ridiculous, outmoded age restriction on the presidency because she's one of the few democratic candidates who has an ability to control the narrative in their favour.

Oct 25, 2017
And this is why the Billionaire's Boy's Club at Davos are shaking in their boots. With the media's tendency to report on AOC's every move, cuz capitalism/ratings, they are popularizing this policy proposal or giving it oxygen.
Absolutely. She is redefining the idea of "living rent free" in these fucking terrorists heads. It will drive them mad.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
that second video was aces. she has my vote in a decade or whenever she's eligible to run for PoTUS.

She learned the right lessons from Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. We can't wait.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The dems need more people like her who are good at messaging.
We need more AOC's in politics.
She's a special case because most of her campaign money is from small donations.
Unlike almost all the other people in congress, she doesn't have to spend the majority of her time cold-calling rich constituents and asking for donations.

I'm not sure how many other congresspeople are in this kind of position of actually being funded by regular people instead of a few rich people and companies.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Kamala did well on Maddow tonight, but this is next-level.

AOC's endorsement for 2020 will be incredibly important, I suspect.

Lv99 Slacker

Oct 27, 2017
Her appearance gave Colbert his best ratings for a Monday ever, btw. More than presidential hopefuls, Kamala Harris and Kirsten Gillibrand, and Gillibrand made her official announcement to run for President on his show.

Vulture: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Gives Colbert Show Massive Ratings Bump | Jan 22, 2019

I wonder if this is why she was given a seat on two House committees (House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform & House Committee on Financial Services)? Media spotlight, her ability to command attention and shape public discourse? I'm sure there are a couple of reasons why, but these have to be among them.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately many school districts simply do not cover the subject.

Unknown

Oct 29, 2017
I really hope she is successful and helps to inspire more younger people into politics. So many are dissatisfied and apathetic, it's really nice seeing someone with such genuine enthusiasm.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Reasonable taxes on helipad owners is an easy sell.

It'll be a tougher sell to implement the necessarily tax rates on lower tiers of rich people, which absolutely needs to happen also, because there are very few helipad owners, and a whole lot of "regular rich folks" who haven't been paying enough taxes for decades now, and there is a huge backlog (budget deficit and crumbling Infrastructure) as a result.

I really hope this becomes a democratic focus, rather than more nebulous bullshit.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A ton of people on this site don't understand them - it comes up in most threads on the subject