• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
This is just the start of social media savvy Millennials shaking up the unacceptable status quo.

The most diverse, progressive generation in the history of America isn't going to stand for the BS that has been the way of doing things since the Reagan administration.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really disconcerted by the fact that people are building a Cult of Personality for a new politician with zero experience who just happens to be saying a bunch of stuff that they agree with, but has no history of being able to deliver on what they're saying. Who else does that remind me of?

I like Ocasio-Cortez and I like her message(s), but some of you need to calm down.
pretty much, that's where I land. She seems great but there's no proof she can deliver what she is saying she will.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh I love AOC but Rorshach's "You're in here with ME" line is meant to be a pathetic cry from a man whose delusions of grandeur have vastly inflated his own sense of self importance. It was never intended to seem badass. So this is kind of the opposite message of what she intends.

Unless she's using it to make fun of Poltico's dumb article which is entirely possible.

i don't think she's being that deep about it, she's just using a line she likes outside of it's proper context.

recontextualizing.

Oct 25, 2017
Not to be that guy, but

Y'all seriously need an OT at this point. By like April, we'll be making AOC had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch threads.

I'm really disconcerted by the fact that people are building a Cult of Personality for a new politician with zero experience who just happens to be saying a bunch of stuff that they agree with, but has no history of being able to deliver on what they're saying. Who else does that remind me of?

I like Ocasio-Cortez and I like her message(s), but some of you need to calm down.
Basically.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
We're witnessing the real beginnings of a shift in political power. And that's no exaggeration. AOC, at least her progressive ideals/instincts/genuine appeal, are showing that flaccid timidity of past politics, at least on the left, is out the door. I really hope her and others inspires more younger leaders to get involved.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

I like twitter burns as much as anyone else, but folks are indeed putting some crazy high expectations on her. To be fair, a large part of that is due to the ridiculous amount of attention the right gives her in trying to put her down. They could have let her be and we probably wouldn't be hearing nearly as much about her.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of this scene lol

th

Not an accident, that scene was an homage it Rorschach in prison. One of the blood stains makess Rorschach's signature "r"

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
I never read the comic but I love that scene from the movie. It doesn't matter if she delivers or not, her "not taking no shit" stance is good in my book and something we really need to see more of from the Dems.

It's dawning on me now why more people are wanting new blood on the Left. This is what they want to see more of. Not that pussyfooting we are accustomed to seeing. They should have had her out there responding to Trumps primetime speech.

Dems need some fire in their belly and she has it. In spades.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
What a bad ass. And that is one of my favorite fictional lines of all time.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh I love AOC but Rorshach's "You're in here with ME" line is meant to be a pathetic cry from a man whose delusions of grandeur have vastly inflated his own sense of self importance. It was never intended to seem badass. So this is kind of the opposite message of what she intends.

Unless she's using it to make fun of Poltico's dumb article which is entirely possible.
This is how I understood it.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Not to be that guy, but

Y'all seriously need an OT at this point. By like April, we'll be making AOC had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch threads.

Basically.

You don't understand, this quote from a 1986 comic book signals the disruption of the entire political makeup, as dank millennial twitter savvy completely washes away years of systemic issues. AOC is good, but this is already like bernie bros turned up to 11.

Oct 28, 2017
We're witnessing the real beginnings of a shift in political power. And that's no exaggeration. AOC, at least her progressive ideals/instincts/genuine appeal, are showing that flaccid timidity of past politics, at least on the left, is out the door. I really hope her and others inspires more younger leaders to get involved.

It's way too early to start characterizing her career (that's not even a month old) and its effects on the left.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

Not really. While he is meant to be unhinged and often pathetic, when he says that it is completely meant to be badass. he wrecks everyone in that prison.

Also, the scene in the comic is just like the movie. The quoted page above is a callback. When it's initially said, it's just like in the movie.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
It's way too early to start characterizing her career (that's not even a month old) and its effects on the left.
I don't think it's too early at all. She, as in millenials in politics, is where all this is headed or do you think these boomers will be in power forever? Her attitude is certainly closer to the future of the party then the centrism of the past. Biden ran for the Presidency almost 30+ years ago and he's still looking to be involved in things and run for POTUS. We are long past due for a reconstruction of the Democratic party.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Republicans have 20 years to fuck up her presidential aspirations... just like they did with Clinton.

Hopefully the US is in a better position in 20 years where it won't matter what Republicans say about her.
AOC seems to be actively combating that in ways other politicians haven't. This idea that we'll suffer at the whims of republicans with no recourse is being disproven right in front of us.

People can say she hasn't gotten anything done legislatively (though she's already done more than most in her position making green new deal and tax reform a front page issues), but she's already showing how dems can combat the narratives from the right and that has value in itself.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She would of scored points if she just dropped the quote without referencing Moore.

She would have looked crazy.

Her foes would straight WHOOSH and think she's stroking out.

Watchmen fans would accuse her of paraphrasing.

Alt right fans would accuse her of stealing their things.

Alan Moore would accuse her of being one of the smoke lizard people.

Oh she's Latina all right... Is she the first in US congress?

No she's the first Asian-American, period.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017

Well put. This is about where I'm at.

Oct 25, 2017

The Notorious A.O.C.

You have to deal with that.