• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
You don't understand, this quote from a 1986 comic book signals the disruption of the entire political makeup, as dank millennial twitter savvy completely washes away years of systemic issues. AOC is good, but this is already like bernie bros turned up to 11.

It's really upsetting, and it shows that a lot of people haven't learned anything from the last two or three years. There are a LOT of people on the left that are yearning for a Trump-like messiah but for their side, and the warning has been given time and time again not to look for that one person that's going to change everything. That's not how it works, and no matter how much you disagree with the system or want to point out its flaws, it's not just going to change like *that*. It's a slow, arduous process, it's not fun and meme-filled and instantaneous, and a lot of people are going to be sorely disappointed when it doesn't work out how they want. Again.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it's too early at all. She's where all this is headed or do you think these boomers will be in power forever?

I dont know where all of this is headed. Change is definitely needed but AOC holds little power as a freshman. Unless her message resonates beyond her district shell be easily ignored by the establishment.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's awesome, I love that she's a fighter and she doesn't let the right (and the centrist Dems!) just get away with their bullshit. I can't wait to see how her political career develops.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I'm really disconcerted by the fact that people are building a Cult of Personality for a new politician with zero experience who just happens to be saying a bunch of stuff that they agree with, but has no history of being able to deliver on what they're saying. Who else does that remind me of?

I like Ocasio-Cortez and I like her message(s), but some of you need to calm down.

She is like a fresh glass of water in hell, let people feel hopeful a bit in this mess of a political landscape JFC

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
It will be interesting to see her approval ratings in her district. She is the darling of the left right now but none of that matters, the only thing that matters are the constituents in her district.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
I dont know where all of this is headed. Change is definitely needed but AOC holds little power as a freshman. Unless her message resonates beyond her district shell be easily ignored by the establishment.
No doubt her message has. She needs to walk the walk, legislatively, of course. But her radicalism has definitely struck a chord with many disenchanted people on the left that goes well beyond her constituents in the Bronx/Queens.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really disconcerted by the fact that people are building a Cult of Personality for a new politician with zero experience who just happens to be saying a bunch of stuff that they agree with, but has no history of being able to deliver on what they're saying. Who else does that remind me of?

I like Ocasio-Cortez and I like her message(s), but some of you need to calm down.

Counterpoint:

I agree with you on principle and on what I assumed was the inevitable failure of her approach and her being one slip away from catastrophe, especially with pigs going full court press and her total lack of experience and unshaken skeleton closet. I was full-on eye rolling about her entire deal, because I wrongly assumed she was pulling from a shallow playbook.

But the longer she keeps it up, the more she owns the situation, the more flex she creates for her communication and the bigger the safety net she knits beneath herself - and the initial Republican attack has been a giant self-own that buys her even more latitiude.

She's also proven that on social media, she's not a flash in the pan and her instinct and output seem very stable and extensible. And the longer she keeps it up, the less likely a skeleton is and the more meaningful experience and wins she'll put under her belt. And the more I learn about her the more confident I am that she can be an effective politician and bureaucrat.

Now I probably just jinxed it for her, but that is profoundly where she's at today.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. She's put in a unique situation to make some positive change. All we can do is debate the ambiguity in Watchmen's writing.

She's in a unique situation but that doesn't mean she's "unlike us". we're all voting for something, looking to change the status quo. We humans also quote popular fiction from time to time.

Oct 25, 2017
She is like a fresh glass of water in hell, let people feel hopeful a bit in this mess of a political landscape JFC
No. People need to learn how this actually works. So we don't keep repeating the same mistakes.

It's really upsetting, and it shows that a lot of people haven't learned anything from the last two or three years. There are a LOT of people on the left that are yearning for a Trump-like messiah but for their side, and the warning has been given time and time again not to look for that one person that's going to change everything. That's not how it works, and no matter how much you disagree with the system or want to point out its flaws, it's not just going to change like *that*. It's a slow, arduous process, it's not fun and meme-filled and instantaneous, and a lot of people are going to be sorely disappointed when it doesn't work out how they want. Again.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
"Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is thhe only thing that makes sense." - Beto O'Rourke

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

The media and the right helped launch her into the stratosphere and want to turn her into a punching bag, the latest liberal boogeywoman that they can demonize and tear down as a symbol of all Democrats. The least we can do is offer support.

Oct 25, 2017
People keep saying this like we didn't just put a reality TV show host with zero governing experience and a third grade reading level in the oval office.

*Waits patiently for Trump/AOC comparisons

drog

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
yassssssssssss finally a politician just like me who loves random funny pop culture references!!!!

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
No. People need to learn how this actually works. So we don't keep repeating the same mistakes.

You were under the impression that I was saying AOC was going to single handedly change the whole system? I know how the US works, she is a female congresswoman, at most she can be vocal and inspire people to get behind issues.

Plus she is woman of color, I know full well the US wouldn't embrace her a savior of anything.

I like AOC as much as the next brown millennial, but I'm not a fan of that mindset at all. Set expectations accordingly

Do you realize that you have beaten down to the point where someone saying "she brings a bit of hope" is deemed unrealistic and unreasonable?

Oct 27, 2017

One of the reasons that people are elected to US House office is to find out just exactly what is going on in Washington DC at the congressional level. Not because they necessarily have legislative experience.

There are those out there complaining that she should "learn the job first" or "has no history" or what have you. To meet what end?

The problem there is that once the person is in office for a while, people will lazily go and say "she's become part of the establishment" or "she's succumbed to Washington" or what have you. Nowhere in those stances do people actually look at what's going on in Washington, or look at the concerns of the constituents.

All she's done is voiced the concerns of the constituents (which IS part of her job as a Representative), and in some cases single-handedly defended herself from saying that lobbyists run the orientation meetings, or dancing in college, or having fake nudes posted, or people telling others she misunderstands the tax code. Mostly without any party-level help.

So far she's gotten approvals from Pelosi and Paul Krugman, among others. Everything looks like a cult of personality if you remove the causes behind the organization. So far I see no evidence of her issues raised as merely "a bunch of stuff".

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Well, she's most certainly Fox News new darling. At least there are more articles about her than Trump (let alone any other politician).

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You know... I'd almost forgotten what an apologetically proud liberal looked like. As much as I like Michelle Obama, her "they go low, we go high" speech, however optimistic, made me feel like the whole party was too "above" being seen as aggressive, confrontational, or angry.

Obviously, never stoop to their level, but it's great to see some "fire" return to the party. They seem hungry for change, and that's a great thing.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
One of the reasons that people are elected to US House office is to find out just exactly what is going on in Washington DC at the congressional level. Not because they necessarily have legislative experience.

There are those out there complaining that she should "learn the job first" or "has no history" or what have you. To meet what end?

The problem there is that once the person is in office for a while, people will lazily go and say "she's become part of the establishment" or "she's succumbed to Washington" or what have you. Nowhere in those stances do people actually look at what's going on in Washington, or look at the concerns of the constituents.

All she's done is voiced the concerns of the constituents (which IS part of her job as a Representative), and in some cases single-handedly defended herself from saying that lobbyists run the orientation meetings, or dancing in college, or having fake nudes posted, or people telling others she misunderstands the tax code. Mostly without any party-level help.

So far she's gotten approvals from Pelosi and Paul Krugman, among others. Everything looks like a cult of personality if you remove the causes behind the organization. So far I see no evidence of her issues raised as merely "a bunch of stuff".

If you re-read my posts, you'll notice I was never critical of Ocasio-Cortez specifically. I'm just cautioning people and asking that they temper expectations. That's all. I have no problem with what she's saying, or how she's doing it.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
Democratic politicians quoting a (fictional) deranged, bigoted killer with extremist views aligned with incels and the far right, because retweets and likes mean future votes?

I mean, we are in Trump's America now.

Edit: didn't Ted Cruz say Rorschach was one of his favorite superheroes? Maybe they have something to find common ground over now.